The Daily for Sunday 01/16/2022

richwmn

Today is Appreciate a Dragon Day, National Nothing Day, and World Snow Day

A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.--Elbert Hubbard

Meal Suggestion for today - tuna noodle casserole
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Shot Taker Margarita
Wine of the Day - Gernot and Heike Heinrich 2017 Blaufrankisch (Leit
Destination of the Day - Tangier, Morocco

Ships With Passengers

Castries, St Lucia Island

Nieuw Statendam  

08:00 - 16:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Eurodam  

07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam  

07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam  

07:00 - 17:00

San Diego, California

Koningsdam  

07:00 - 16:00

Ships Without Passengers

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam  

Anchorage

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

0116Caribbean.thumb.png.df42ce1fb88c307305c5dfa15b2d7587.png

0116NAmericaW.thumb.png.6fb0a318ae311a678467869dcb9a57f3.png

0116Europe.thumb.png.3e73af89fbe513f354c1acb687d9fb59.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 12

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  It's presently 9F here with snow later today, so I will go out early for my walk and shopping.  Once the snow starts it will really be Nothing day for me, and I appreciate dragons in literature.  I love the Hubbard quote but will pass on the the tuna.  I've been to Agadir and Casablanca but not to Tangier. 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation

Welfare of furloughed crews
Walker in hospice
Mamaofami, Sam’s aide, and his mother
Sharon’s SIL with repeat covid
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from Tennis Elbow surgery
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.
Recovery for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgery
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and cancelling cruise
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Mister 67
3 BHB  in Everglades
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29), and boytje (Millennium to 1/17) at sea
Welcome home GTVCRUISER and Seasick Sailer
The gingerbread house
Progress for luvteaching DH
Tana breathing better
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the Great American Songbook
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

The 'winter mix' has been falling constantly since about 3am here. Unfortunately it is not a pretty white snow. It is cold rain! It's not going to be a good day here to be out and about. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Well good morning. Early riser this morning! We sure received a lot of rain and wind last night and went from 65 to currently 39F! I’m sure many of you will have more dramatic reporting from this storm.

Our diets are really doing well but both of us had a craving for a dessert. DW came to the rescue and made Black Bean Brownies! I swear the texture was like any brownie, it tasted like a brownie and most importantly was only 35 calories per square ( albeit not as large as usual) and were a special treat. Absolutely no taste of the beans.

Enjoying coffee, reading the Daily, awaiting the newspaper, and some time for reflection and prayer before church services.

Was relieved to see those hostages at the Texas Synagogue all were unharmed.

Thanks Rich and to all.

Here a pic of the Black Bean Brownies.

image.thumb.jpeg.39618c20444b96848c1fdd070c51e0cc.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Quite the combination of days. Let’s hope World Snow Day is not celebrated too literally. 

Roy hope you enjoyed the Pops concert last night. Thank you for taking care of our lists. Does it ever seem like a job to you? I hope not. Morning Dailyite family. Rainy and super windy here. I couldn’t get Bindi to take more than two steps outside this morning. Little does she know it is not going to get any better for a few hours. A very light day planned, because I had hoped the weather would hold off and I would get to do a morning hike in one of state parks with Bindi and a couple friends. Hoping to avoid T-storms and tornado warnings today. I am heading out to do my one errand, after coffee. 

Today’s theme - canines🐕🦮🐩🐕‍🦺

CC542ED1-7613-4D17-BB55-2EBC2EAEC138.jpeg.85164cad9ed295e479d0df059c4e447e.jpeg

436F348E-DA90-4F56-8915-2ABE4C5DA863.jpeg.c2ca53330240dfd98afdbc26abcb315c.jpeg

2D50E89B-A116-4E32-8B55-A64AADBADB6E.jpeg.80824639ccf1faa50f0cdcf6169da529.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Gernot and Heike Heinrich 2017 Blaufrankisch
This Austrian red wine sounds very interesting, and I would love to taste it. A few online distributors with prices starting at $18.95.

Distributor Notes

Gernot and Heike Heinrich founded their winery in 1990 with just one hectare and steadily grew to 90 hectares today. Heinrich converted to biodynamics in 2006 and is a member of Respekt, a certifying body for biodynamic viticulture in Austria. Heinrich is today one of Austria’s most innovative wine producers.

All of Heinrich’s wines are fermented spontaneously and left with the skins for several weeks. The wines remain on their lees for an extended period and are vinified mainly in neutral oak casks. Gernot says, "we give the wines plenty of time to mature, the time that hardly anyone has today,” and adds, “it is above all else time that shapes our wines.”

Blaufränkisch comes from two areas: the limestone and schist soils of the Leithaberg; and the sandy loam soils of the south-facing slope of the Parndorfer Platte in Gols. The grapes were hand-harvested and fermented with wild yeasts in a combination of wooden vats and stainless-steel tanks before maturing in large oak vats and used 500-liter barrels.

Tasting Notes

Blaufränkisch (pronounced BLAU-frank-ish) is an important grape variety in central Europe where it is cultivated under the names Kékfrankos in Hungary and Lemberger in Germany. The grape achieves its peak in Austria’s Burgenland where it gives deeply-colored red wines with aromas and flavors of blackberries, herbs, and spices. It is highly expressive of terroir and shows the nuances of its origin when produced with care.

Food Pairing

Blaufränkisch features a moderate level of weight, bright acidity, and is firmly structured making it an excellent wine for the table. Blaufränkisch produced in a balanced style without excessive ripeness or oak can be paired with food like Pinot Noir and is excellent with game birds, duck, and veal. It is the classic wine to pair with a Hungarian goulash of braised meat and vegetables served with egg noodles or potatoes.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

It's still very cold here, currently -20C but supposed to "warm up" to -5C.  No new snow, but the stuff on the ground is solid!  I'll take Bertie for a short walk when the sun comes up.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.

Praying for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Sending hugs and prayers to @kazu

• Like 26

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Well good morning. Early riser this morning! We sure received a lot of rain and wind last night and went from 65 to currently 39F! I’m sure many of you will have more dramatic reporting from this storm.

Our diets are really doing well but both of us had a craving for a dessert. DW came to the rescue and made Black Bean Brownies! I swear the texture was like any brownie, it tasted like a brownie and most importantly was only 35 calories per square ( albeit not as large as usual) and were a special treat. Absolutely no taste of the beans.

Enjoying coffee, reading the Daily, awaiting the newspaper, and some time for reflection and prayer before church services.

Was relieved to see those hostages at the Texas Synagogue all were unharmed.

Thanks Rich and to all.

Here a pic of the Black Bean Brownies.

image.thumb.jpeg.39618c20444b96848c1fdd070c51e0cc.jpeg

Bruce, is the recipe top secret, or are you & DW willing to share?🤞🏻

• Like 25

Good morning from Ft. Lauderdale.  @Seasick SailorJoy and Alan safe travels.  It was a "joy" to meet you. Zuiderdam just pulling into port.  They weren't allowed to go onshore at Half Moon Cay yesterday.  Not celebrating Snow day, don't have any dragons,   Will gladly celebrate do nothing day.

Major prayers for our care list.  @kazu, Jose, Marley, and Miko virtual hugs around you.  Will toast our celebration list.

Stay safe,social distance, and wear your mask.

Hornitos Shot Taker Margarita:

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
2 parts Lime Juice
1 part Agave Syrup
Garnish: Lime Wheel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a rocks glass with a half rim of salt and fresh ice.

Garnish with a lime wheel and serve with a shot on the side.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 7.25.01 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from NE England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for posting  the care, celebration and shout out  lists.

A good collection of day's.

Hopefully we are all good people and our friends are true friends.

I will miss today's food and drink although when I see Debbie's @dfish pictures I'm sure I will change my mind and love the food.

Tangier was a lot like Casablanca and very interesting.

I hope everyone enjoyed our sermon today at church.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

16423355184542444509400056966015.jpg

Screenshot_20220116_121625.jpg

Screenshot_20220116_121453.jpg

Screenshot_20220116_121423.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Blessings to all Daily-ites. Disembarking this morning. Fingers crossed our flight isn't cancelled.

Prayers for all, especially to our Jacqui for strength and God's hand on Jose.

God Bless.

Joy

Safe travels home.

I hope your flight is okay.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I look forward to @dfishrecipes.  Today’s agenda has a quick trip to the store and then stay warm.  We are expecting a storm that may start as snow overnight then turn to rain.  Either way I’m not planning on leaving the house tomorrow.

This is for @kazu and all those who need one.

image.png.b79f71a7f52b0768d02da92b50ecd620.png

• Like 35

30 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Bruce, is the recipe top secret, or are you & DW willing to share?🤞🏻

Google is my friend!😁

https://palm.southbeachdiet.com/recipes/brownies-flourless-black-bean/

Sue said she had to cook them a little longer then recipe called for. We also added the walnuts!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Good morning, everyone!

Snow Day is appropriate for northeast Ohio today.   We were "upgraded" from a winter weather advisory to a warning.  The forecast is for 6-9 inches of the fluffy white stuff overnight tonight.   I am ready for it.  I made a big pot of chicken soup and can eat off that for days.  I am going to the pool today as tomorrow may not be possible.  

Tuna noodle casserole brings back memories from childhood.  It was a very limited menu on Fridays in our house with the choices being fish sticks or tuna casserole.  Sometimes we got the frozen packages of Welsh Rarebit.  Or Rabbit as we called it.  

This first one is made the way most of us will remember with mushroom soup.  It is also quick and easy for a busy mom to put together.     https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-tuna-noodle-casserole/

1531970063_Tunanoodlecasserole3.thumb.jpg.228517b9e1c816f66d53cc76ccba6381.jpg

This next one says you can use a different vegetable than peas and can swap chicken for tuna or even use whole wheat noodles.   https://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-tuna-noodle-casserole/

1284820225_Tunanoodlecasserole.jpg.a45532175954a358fe71001b43ef178c.jpg

This is Ree Drummond's take on it.   I think that sherry would add a lot to the dish!  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tuna-noodle-casserole-3634226

1824272235_Tunanoodlecasserole2.jpeg.1b3ff8b368dd1538518113e4b3389620.jpeg

I have to throw this one in.   Cooking Light has a unique approach to this dish and even uses tomato paste in it.   https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/tuna-noodle-casserole

688366659_tunanoodlecasserole7.thumb.jpg.d4c7a5113dab54a0c7fcbef32b6dafa7.jpg

Any of these would be great on a snowy night when you hunker down with a great glass of wine and made for TV movies.  

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those celebrating.  

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I can appreciate dragons from afar, there are few days that are Nothing Days around here, and we can celebrate Snow Day for about 6 months of the year.  

Yesterday we (I) accomplished a lot, borrowing the neighbour's snow rake and removing a lot of snow from the roof over the garage.  Our bedroom is situated above the garage and now we can see the street again.  DH would have helped, but he's been suffering from a bad back for a few days.  Another chiro appointment tomorrow will hopefully bring him around again.  He's been feeling guilty that I've had to do all the shoveling and snow removal, but that's okay, I'll make him pay.  LOL

Although I could do nothing today, as there isn't anything on our agenda, I think I'll put the time to working on the small cross stitch project I started earlier in the week.  I'd like to get it finished and go on to something else.  I still knit toques every night, but it's nice having something else to work on as well.

I feel bad for those of you who are experiencing awful weather; right now we're relishing the warm spell that has come through.  It's -1C (30F), which in the middle of January is absolutely balmy.  Yesterday I actually saw one of the neighbours cleaning his driveway wearing a puffy jacket, winter boots, and shorts.  We are a hardy bunch up here!

A friend shared this with me yesterday, and I thought you might enjoy it as well.

163260392_PositiveThoughts.thumb.png.3de3432a228ae317fca123e513985998.png

I haven't made a tuna casserole in ages, and don't think we'll be having that tonight.  I took the remainder of the pork loin I cooked earlier in the week from the freezer, will thaw it and we'll have hot pork sandwiches for dinner tonight.  Alongside some pan fried potatoes and green beans, we'll have a nice meal on the table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jacqui, Jose, the pups, and everyone in the path of the storms.  Wear your masks, stay safe, get your boosters, wash your hands, be well, and stay warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 37
  • Haha 1

Good Sunday morning to all and thank you Rich for the Daily.

Sorry I never got around to posting yesterday as my network and computer problems continue to escalate.  I bought a new iMac last April that has been nothing but trouble from day one.  I have never experienced such incompetence from the techs at Apple as I have in the past week.  

Putting that aside, my problems are small potatoes compared to many others here and all over the world.

This will be a nothing day as it is raining quite hard.  At least it is not snow as those of you to the north are experiencing.  But it is cold.

We have not been to Tangier, but are expecting to visit on our next cruise in April on the Nautica—if it still goes. We shall see.

@kazu—Jacqui—my heartfelt prayers for you and Jose.  I can only imagine what you are going through.  It is not easy to place a loved one in long term care.  We have had to do it twice.  Each time it broke my heart.  Hopefully once he is in rehab, he may start to make a comeback.  Prayers for both of you.  

We will pass on the tuna noodle casserole today.  Not sure what we will have yet.

I hope everyone stays warm and dry today.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Enjoy your Sunday.

The festivities for World Snow Day are forecast to begin around noon here.  🌨️ ❄️

@grapau27 Thank you for this weeks sermon. His delivery is so soothing to listen to during these times.

Stay safe, and drive carefully today and tomorrow for those in the path of the storm.

- Jack

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends and thank you for the daily report.  Not really into dragons but I will celebrate Puff the Magic Dragon today.  Since we’re away for the weekend doing nothing will be easy.  I love snow and will celebrate it gladly.  It’s not often that I look at the thermometer and 0°F appears but that is what I’ve awoken to this morning in Freeport, it’s going to be a chilly walk to mass!  The meal suggestion sounds delicious to me but I doubt we’ll find that on any menu up here. The closest thing might be lobster mac and cheese.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our list today with special intentions for @kazu to remain strong, centered and healthy during such a trying time, and a miracle.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 28

I love dragons in literature - Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern is my favorite book series. I could live without snow day though. The multiple inches we were supposed to get by now is just rain and sleet - yay! However, that makes it a “do nothing” kind of day. Might have to get the generator out of the barn if that stuff is freezing onto power lines or tree branches. 

The drink, wine, and meal sound delicious! Tuna casserole has always been one of my favorite comfort foods. 

Prayers for the big list who need them. Hopefully the list shrinks, for the sake of those on it. 

• Like 28