The most basic smartphone?

shipgeeks

Since we are not the generation that had a smartphone since the age of 3.....

When I called to make appointments for our pre-cruise covid tests, I was told our results would be texted to my phone.  That phone is a landline.

We got flip phones when I was commuting, and only used them to say "I'm on my way home now".  We haven't turned them on for two years now, and haven't missed them.

We use our laptops at home for hours every day.  No desire to take them along when we cruise.  We don't care to stay in touch with anyone, nor to surf the web, nor to take photos.  I like simplicity.  Not sure I would want to carry a phone on the ship in order to look at menus and such.

Should we buy a smartphone?  If we buy one for both of us, can we put both boarding passes, test results, etc. on it?

If so, what is the most basic phone we can buy?  Any recommendations?  How much would we need to spend, and what is a typical monthly charge?

• Thanks 1

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a flip phone from Consumer Cellular.  It costs $15 a month plus fees= $20  a month.  For another $5 a month I can get text capability.  We only use it on trips. Our main phone is a land line, which our granddaughter calls an "old fashioned phone." DW says if I want a smartphone, it will be mine, since she won't give up her flip phone.  CC sells smartphones.

• Like 2

I am about half Luddite and half techie but almost any phone with a fair size screen will do the job.

I like the fact that on a Carnival ship I can check the open times for all shops , food, and entertainment at any time or place on board.  I can check the MDR menu a day in advance if I wish.  I can access my account balance 24 hours a day too.

At home I use a land line but any time I am away from home, I use my cell.  I really don't like cell phones but it is going to get worse.  Soon you will need one to eat at a restaurant.  One that I go to about 3 times a year now expects you to use a pay app on your phone.  Oh they took my credit card  but you could tell this was odd for them.

And to answer one of your questions, one phone should suffice for both people.  My cruise buddy and I cross store our boarding passes, Covid tests and other documents on our phones in case we lose one or a phone dies.  So I know they will take the info for both people off one phone.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, shipgeeks said:

If so, what is the most basic phone we can buy?  Any recommendations?  How much would we need to spend, and what is a typical monthly charge?

Your post is one that I could have written.  You describe my thoughts well.  Like Tom47, I am a Consumer Cellular customer and have had a flip phone with them for several years.  I have used it almost exclusively to make long distance calls because it is considerably more inexpensive to do than with my landline phone.  But, my flip phone is 3G phone and 3G service will be lost very soon, possibly this week, as the AT&T, Verizon, whomever begin 5G service using up the bands that had been used for 3G.  Consumer Cellular was been warning this was going to happen for months and offered their 3G users a new 5G flip phone at a very good price.  They also had a variety of smartphones available, some at prices that I would consider paying.  

After doing some research and asking questions of friends who have smartphones, and noticing that travel requirements in the age of Covid seemed to encourage a traveler to have a smartphone, I decided to not buy a new flip phone but buy a smartphone.  From Consumer Cellular, I bought a Samsung Galaxy A12 4G smartphone for $187.  I had to buy a different plan than I had been using.  The new plan allows unlimited talk and text minutes and 1G of data.  Price, including taxes and my AARP discount, is about $30/month.  

Initially, and still to some degree, I was intimidated by the darn thing.  Not having home wifi proved to be an issue in trying to get the phone in service.  After attempting 3 times, I contacted a local tech service for help.  A representative came to my house and got the phone set-up and working.  (It took him 90 minutes for that to happen; part of the reason for that was Consumer Cellular failed to send one critical piece of information in their instructions.)  He encouraged me to "play with the phone--explore what features it has--which is what I have been doing.  I am becoming more comfortable with it, but, I have not scratched the service, I know, of what it can do and what apps are available on it.  Thanks to a friend who knows a friend who has an Android phone, I was told Sunday to find the "app drawer" on the phone.  I have not yet began that search.

So far, I like the phone as I become more comfortable with it.  I have used it to make some calls and the audio is very good and I have been told the person to whom I am speaking can hear me very well.  I don't intend to text; but, it is good to know that receiving/sending can now be done.  Don't really understand what constitutes "data", but am not going to watch movies or listen to music on the phone which is, I think "data".  Weather information and news?  If that is data, yes, I would like to get those apps installed.  

The tech rep assured me that I can get onto the internet without having home wifi because of some setting that he did.  A few days ago, I remembered that my Buick has wifi and I probably could use that if wifi is needed for some reason.  

I am "an old dog" that's having to learn "new tricks" whether I want to or not.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The tech rep assured me that I can get onto the internet without having home wifi because of some setting that he did. 

Be aware that getting on the internet without wifi uses "data".  1G of data will allow your apps to work in the background (they all use a little bit of data), but if you start surfing, using maps, checking weather, etc. it will be used up pretty quickly.

I can't help with what is the best smartphone for non-techies.  Check AARP.  They promote something called a "Cricket".  May be something that meets your needs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaineYachtClub said:

Be aware that getting on the internet without wifi uses "data".  1G of data will allow your apps to work in the background (they all use a little bit of data), but if you start surfing, using maps, checking weather, etc. it will be used up pretty quickly.

Thanks for this information.  The little instructions that came with the phone recommended using wifi for those applications that used data was a "saver" of one's data plan usage.  

• Like 1

Yes, you should get a smartphone.  There are too many things that are so much easier with a smart phone for you not to.......including things like boarding passes and Covid vaccine records.   There are ways to live without a smartphone, but those work arounds are getting harder and harder.

In my opinion, Apple makes the most intuitive smartphones - not necessarily the most basic, but the easiest to learn to use.  If you think "how would I do this" or "where would I look for this", that's pretty much how it works.  But I'm biased, since I've had iPhones for a dozen years (I'm 60 years old). 

Remember a smartphone is a tool, and you can use or not use as much of it as you like.  Don't feel that having a smartphone means you must use social media sites if you don't want to.  Don't feel you need to be notified with an alert every time you get a text or email if you don't want to.  Use your smarphone for what you want, not what someone else thinks you should do with it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Go and spend some time with one or two good retailers of cell phones.   Lots of smucks out there but within two minutes you should be able to tell if you are speaking with someone who has the product knowledge and  the experience to help you.

Separate the phone from the phone plan.

Keep asking questions until you are satisfied that you understand exactly what you are buying.   Never feel obligated to buy.

Check out pcmag.com.  Speak to friends.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I have ordered a basic smart phone from Consumer Cellular, my flip phone provider.  My wife is keeping the flip phone.

I ordered my Samsung Galaxy 12 phone from Consumer Cellular and am still learning how to use it.  I bought the plan with 1GB of data and have been surprised to see how quickly that amount of data gets used.  I now kind of wish I had bought their 5 G flip phone.  If your flip phone is a 3 G, be aware that sooner or later--if not already--the 3 G band will no longer be used.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I ordered my Samsung Galaxy 12 phone from Consumer Cellular and am still learning how to use it.  I bought the plan with 1GB of data and have been surprised to see how quickly that amount of data gets used.  I now kind of wish I had bought their 5 G flip phone.  If your flip phone is a 3 G, be aware that sooner or later--if not already--the 3 G band will no longer be used.  

We replaced the 3g flip phone with a 5g last June.  DW prefers it.   I also got 1G, but a cheaper phone than Samsung-- ZTE Avid 579 32GB

• Thanks 1

I have an Android/Samsung and find it very easy to use. Never been an "Apple girl".  I have a land line as well.  I had that flip phone mentioned earlier for many years and it took me a bit to upgrade but now that I have my smart phone? As a single person, it goes with me everywhere. And yes, it can do as much or little as you want........when I go out to eat (most times I am on my own) I always read the news on it.........when I  cruise? To be honest, I usually leave it in the cabin.  But yes, I am glad I know how to use it🙂.....oh, if it matters, I am 63. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are in our mid 70.,  This will be a 52nd anniversary celebration   Until now, we had 1 cell  phone, a flip phone, only used when traveling or in emergencies.  However, with the RCI app not being  compatible with my desktop or Amazon tablet, I bought a basic smart phone.  My wife said "I'm not giving up my flip phone.  You are on your own."  I was able to install the RCI app, load pictures and our vax cards.  I tested the phone and tested texting capability.  Everything works.

Today, I tried to schedule a Covid test at a nearby CVS to our Hyatt hotel.  But doing it online did not specify if it was a rapid test or the PCR test.  I attempted to call the pharmacy, but got a  "virtual assistant "  The fee was $139, up front, before I could find out which type of test.  I called the Hyatt, and they gave me a phone# for a concierge service that will come to the hotel, for $75 pp.  So we have appointments on the 17th for our rapid antigen tests at the Hyatt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

I tested the phone and tested texting capability.  Everything works.

Out of curiosity as a Consumer Cellular customer, what plan did you purchase?  (If you care to answer my question.  If not, that's OK.)  

38 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

So we have appointments on the 17th for our rapid antigen tests at the Hyatt.

Best wishes for negative tests!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Out of curiosity as a Consumer Cellular customer, what plan did you purchase?  (If you care to answer my question.  If not, that's OK.)  

Best wishes for negative tests!  

I GB and unlimited texts/phone calls-2 lines total bill $49 per month

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  My plan is also the 1 GB and unlimited calls/texts for one line.  About $31/month.  

You're Welcome.  Flip phone is only unlimited calls.  We never did texts on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Neither did I when had my flip phone.  I have no intention of texting with my smart phone.  

I have already texted to my granddaughter.  We are arriving at the pier separately.  They are driving down and we are flying. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Gawd, I feel old!  Haven't cruised for four years (first one was 1974) and leaving in six weeks - so.... I have used TracFone for years and still have a landline.  Have two new models (one is still a flipfone) and I'm not comfortable with them.  I just want to be able to call home to give "proof of life" when I'm traveling.  Plan on having print-outs of documents, etc., as always - how big a snag is this going to be?  Thanks for any practical info and encouragement - I'm not ready to give up and stay home.  

• Like 2

MizMoon,

Any basic smartphone is great onboard.  If you install the cruise line's app, you can use the phone for all sorts of things.  With the Carnival Hub, I can make reservations, check my account balance, see what activities are offered, see where things are located on the ship & their hours, check the menu for most eateries and for $5 each for the whole cruise, I can chat with someone else.  That was handy to locate my young granddaughter onboard.

It also could be a good icebreaker.  If you saw a sympathetic looking person, you could ask for help with the app. 

• Like 1

MizMoon,  We did our February cruise with no smartphone, and it was not a problem at all.  We did purchase a printer beforehand, and printed out our boarding passes, luggage tags, etc.  Checking in with everything on paper was fine.  Onboard, we were given paper menus, daily planners, etc. without question.  Bar menus were the only snag, as bartenders were reluctant to "find" them.

I'm still wondering what I would ever use one for, even if it were free.