Hawaii cruisers- Required testing at terminal

MishelleMcc

14 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

One elderly couple in our testing group of about 20-25 people, tested positive and were not allowed to board.

Last year when Maui required free rapid testing upon arrival by air a few tested positive. Maui provided PCR tests to those who tested positive to discover that nearly all were false positive rapid test results. Wonder if that was the case for that elderly couple.

11 minutes ago, voljeep said:

but had they previously tested negative in the Princess required 2 day window ?

I don’t know but wondered….  He was complaining that he was dizzy and couldn’t stand for long periods of time. So seems to me maybe he shouldn’t have been trying to get on the cruise.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

I don’t know but wondered….  He was complaining that he was dizzy and couldn’t stand for long periods of time. So seems to me maybe he shouldn’t have been trying to get on the cruise.

I would be dizzy too if I had to stand for 3 hours!  Just sayin….

Poor guy.  How disappointing for them.

• Like 1

I just watched Hawaii's Lt. Gov Green on weekly Facebook Live.  He feels that a booster shot will be required to be considered fully vaccinated.  Aim is for beginning of February, but more likely mid-February.  Did also mention that if not a booster, a valid test will be accepted within...x number of days.

Still working out the details.

NOT a word about cruise ship testing at embarkation.  I wish Princess would be more transparent regarding that test AND number of positive cases on board.  It wasn't this difficult to cruise in October.  sigh....

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We arrived at the ship just after noon yesterday. It took us 3 hours to go through the line and get to our cabin. Getting to the pier early will have its advantages. There was someone in the group before ours who was taken aside. There were several positives but I don’t know what % that translates to. I haven’t asked what our sailing % is. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, riansgrammy said:

We arrived at the ship just after noon yesterday. It took us 3 hours to go through the line and get to our cabin. Getting to the pier early will have its advantages. There was someone in the group before ours who was taken aside. There were several positives but I don’t know what % that translates to. I haven’t asked what our sailing % is. 

If they did covid testing Negative within 2 days of traveling... then took the test at the Pier

and was Positive.... just goes to show you how quickly things can change before you get

onboard.  Thankfully they caught several beforehand. 

But what about other passengers who may turn positive the next day,  or the next day...

• Like 2

Morning!  I think some of the problems are because 2 different agencies are not yet coordinated.

negative test 2 days prior to embarking is. CDC requirement as part of their conditional sail program.

Hawaii travel safe program just barely put their requirements for cruises together before our sailing Jan 16. Then mayor in Maui started the discussion about boosters.  

since boosters weren’t required for our sailing, Princess had to test everyone again.  

we all want to travel and we all want to be safe.  Rolling with the changes is our new constant for now… it’s been stressful at times but we are having a great time!  Hang in there everyone!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

Morning!  I think some of the problems are because 2 different agencies are not yet coordinated.

negative test 2 days prior to embarking is. CDC requirement as part of their conditional sail program.

Hawaii travel safe program just barely put their requirements for cruises together before our sailing Jan 16. Then mayor in Maui started the discussion about boosters.  

since boosters weren’t required for our sailing, Princess had to test everyone again.  

we all want to travel and we all want to be safe.  Rolling with the changes is our new constant for now… it’s been stressful at times but we are having a great time!  Hang in there everyone!

My understanding is a bit different.

My understanding is that Hawaii required the test on board before arrival as part of their original protocol. Then based upon the experience with the Grand, with the positives detected during that cruise, the protocol was modified to test everyone at the port before boarding in order to try and reduce that number.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

If they did covid testing Negative within 2 days of traveling... then took the test at the Pier

and was Positive.... just goes to show you how quickly things can change before you get

onboard.  Thankfully they caught several beforehand. 

But what about other passengers who may turn positive the next day,  or the next day...

It also may point out whether some of the tests are all that accurate or not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smbt1 said:

My understanding is a bit different.

My understanding is that Hawaii required the test on board before arrival as part of their original protocol. Then based upon the experience with the Grand, with the positives detected during that cruise, the protocol was modified to test everyone at the port before boarding in order to try and reduce that number.

Yes, this.  We tested two days before as per that requirement.  Some on the roll call were positive at that point.  Then we tested at the pier, and we saw more people being denied.  We will be tested again prior to arrival in Honolulu, and might have some additional people identified as positive.  Distancing/seating onboard is much stricter.  

1 minute ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Yes, this.  We tested two days before as per that requirement.  Some on the roll call were positive at that point.  Then we tested at the pier, and we saw more people being denied.  We will be tested again prior to arrival in Honolulu, and might have some additional people identified as positive.  Distancing/seating onboard is much stricter.  

thanks ... yeah imagine those people that had tested negative 2 days prior, traveled or whatever, then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM  - sorry, but you're positive ... have a nice next 15 days

On 1/16/2022 at 9:31 PM, HappyInVan said:

Then, the testing at the pier is a good idea. Imagine a dozen or score of infected pax on the ship for a dozen days. Anyone remember the Ruby Princess fiasco?

Most people prefer to be turned away at the pier than travel on the quarantine deck to Hawaii and back.

I'm ok with the testing, but then require all the passengers to get a test within 2 days before the cruise?  Why not remove that rqmnt?  It can be a real hassle or cost to those traveling.  One might do an in home one to assure oneself, but no need to make it one that's witnessed.  Or for that matter, so what if it's 3 days out?  Although we had to cancel, we were planning to arrive in San Fran a couple of days early and we had to jump through some hoops and last minute testing due to that 2 day rqmnt.

Edited by Redwing55

We are currently on the Grand out of San Pedro to Hawaii.  We were tested at the pier before boarding but it went very smoothly.  We were still onboard just after 11:00.  We were also tested in our staterooms 2-3 days before Honolulu.  I heard they did the testing over two days.  After that final test, a few rules were lightened up such as allowing barstools at the bars.  They even had us postpone our CC meet and greet until after the test.  They are also allowing dancing now although the house band is out with Covid exposure.  Princess is being very cautious to preserve their port contract with Hawaii.  It will be interesting to see the difference after we leave the islands.

• Like 1