Fetching hot water to make our own coffee?

suebee53

The last time we sailed RC, our hot water kettle (for morning pour-over coffee) was confiscated. Ordering a carafe of hot water from room service taught us that by the time it gets to us, it's not hot enough. Ordering a carafe of coffee from room service taught us that their coffee is undrinkable. 

If we bring a plastic carafe, is there a way to fetch very hot water to bring back to our cabin? From Cafe Promenade? From Windjammer? Any other way I'm not aware of?

We are sailing Liberty OTS in March.

11 minutes ago, suebee53 said:

The last time we sailed RC, our hot water kettle (for morning pour-over coffee) was confiscated. Ordering a carafe of hot water from room service taught us that by the time it gets to us, it's not hot enough. Ordering a carafe of coffee from room service taught us that their coffee is undrinkable. 

If we bring a plastic carafe, is there a way to fetch very hot water to bring back to our cabin? From Cafe Promenade? From Windjammer? Any other way I'm not aware of?

More info on your coffee method's. Being a ridiculous coffee extremists. I am  always interested in seeing what ppl are doing to get drinkable coffee onboard.

I am a pour over chemex, acaia scale, burr grinder, kettle person. But taking a set up like that on board would be borderline ridiculous. As I am sure they would confiscate all of my equipment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

More info on your coffee method's. Being a ridiculous coffee extremists. I am  always interested in seeing what ppl are doing to get drinkable coffee onboard.

I roast my own beans at home.

When I'm on a cruise, I just roll with it, even if that means drinking tea (or a Bloody Mary 😉)

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, suebee53 said:

Yes.  The coffee dispensers in the WJ also have a hot water spout.  Probably true for Cafe Promenade, too.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, suebee53 said:

I will do that!!! Thanks!!

And, unless you are on a cruise from the UK, he likely won't bring one.  One thing I would ask, if you are doing pour over, is to bring a supply of plastic sandwich bags for the grounds, as the cabin stewards have to hand sort all the garbage taken from the cabins, and loose grounds will contaminate a whole lot of garbage that could have been dealt with in other, more efficient ways, as well as making life easier for the stewards.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, unless you are on a cruise from the UK, he likely won't bring one.  One thing I would ask, if you are doing pour over, is to bring a supply of plastic sandwich bags for the grounds, as the cabin stewards have to hand sort all the garbage taken from the cabins, and loose grounds will contaminate a whole lot of garbage that could have been dealt with in other, more efficient ways, as well as making life easier for the stewards.

A question for you. I use the paper sanitary bags to dispose of those flushable wet toilet paper wipes. Does the room attendant need to do anything further with that?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

A question for you. I use the paper sanitary bags to dispose of those flushable wet toilet paper wipes. Does the room attendant need to do anything further with that?  

They are treated as biohazard, so no, they will just take the entire bag and put it in the medical waste container for incineration.  Thank you for not putting those "flushable" wipes down the hopper.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

They are treated as biohazard, so no, they will just take the entire bag and put it in the medical waste container for incineration.  Thank you for not putting those "flushable" wipes down the hopper.

What happens when someone flushes "flushable" wipes on a cruise ship?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, soremekun said:

I am sure that you know the answer to that, @soremekun.  Nothing should be flushed down the toilet except what your body excretes and the toilet paper supplied by the cruise line.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

After having a plumber come to our row house in Center City Philadelphia and having to replace a sewer line we no longer flush those wipes at home either. A small lidded wastebasket with a plastic bag sits next to the toilet and it hasn't been an issue. 

If the cabin attendant needed to 'do' anything with the wipes I would not bring them on a cruise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soremekun said:

on our Indy cruise last week, there's a warning placard in the bathroom that anyone flushing anything other than toilet paper that causes a clog is subject to a $100 fine.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Those "flushable" wipes are really not.  They continually cause problems in municipal sewer systems, where older pipes have significant partial blockages, or lift stations, where the wipes get trapped and provide a binder for further blockage.  The same, but in a much more forceful, and immediate way is what happens on a ship.  Toilet tissue, and kleenex type tissues (which I have no problem with if flushed down a vacuum system) are made using "pressed" paper fibers, which fall apart easily when wet, allowing the "plug" of "product" that is being transported from your ship's toilet to the vacuum pump, to mold itself readily to the twists and turns of the vacuum piping (some toilets flush up).  Wipes, whether sanitary wipes, baby wipes, or cosmetic wipes, use "woven" paper fibers, which are much stronger (that's why they use them for these conditions), and this also means that the wipe does not fall apart as readily (read "if at all"), so they will get snagged on any obstruction in the vacuum piping, and start to build a clog.

And, I don't need to tell you what happens when there is a clog.

• Like 3

I have found that the temperature out of the tea stations is not exactly consistent.  I noted on the Grandeur that its temperature is set at 70 degrees centigrade which translates to 158 degrees which is a little cooler than optimal to make coffee especially steeping methods like a French Press.  I used to bring a French press and I used to dispose of the grounds by use of a second cup (which they take back and throw in the garbage with the rest of the food waste) or a plastic baggie.  I have recently started using an Aeropress which alleviates the need for hotter water (as it does not need to steep like a french press).  It is also much easier to pop the grinds out into a cup with no mess whatsover and again, can be taken back and disposed of with the other food waste.

Also, the hottest water I have found, is in the MDR when you ask the waiter for "extra hot" water.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

toilet paper supplied by the cruise line.  

That is really an urban myth, any toilet paper is acceptable.  People equate a ship's vacuum system with a small boats sanitary system, and they are very different, and the requirements for "degradability" are different.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That is really an urban myth, any toilet paper is acceptable.  People equate a ship's vacuum system with a small boats sanitary system, and they are very different, and the requirements for "degradability" are different.

good to note for those that bring a case of their own personal toilet paper supply on board...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, suebee53 said:

May want to bring something which will keep water hotter than a plastic carafe. I would think the plastic will not be insulated enough? Guessing since I am not sure of the actual type you will use. Or fill it with hot water to heat it up then refill it with hot water so you don't immediately drop the temperature

Edited by jonj
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jonj said:

May want to bring something which will keep water hotter than a plastic carafe. I would think the plastic will not be insulated enough? Guessing since I am not sure of the actual type you will use. Or fill it with hot water to heat it up then refill it with hot water so you don't immediately drop the temperature

The other option would be to order a carafe of water from room service and then keep that carafe for the week to fill it as needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Makes sense, chengkp75, thank you. 

I have always disposed of used grounds in something that keeps them contained just as a kindness to the cabin steward. I sure wouldn't appreciate having to deal with loose grounds.  But I love that you brought this out into the light!

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

I have found that the temperature out of the tea stations is not exactly consistent.  I noted on the Grandeur that its temperature is set at 70 degrees centigrade which translates to 158 degrees which is a little cooler than optimal to make coffee especially steeping methods like a French Press.  I used to bring a French press and I used to dispose of the grounds by use of a second cup (which they take back and throw in the garbage with the rest of the food waste) or a plastic baggie.  I have recently started using an Aeropress which alleviates the need for hotter water (as it does not need to steep like a french press).  It is also much easier to pop the grinds out into a cup with no mess whatsover and again, can be taken back and disposed of with the other food waste.

Also, the hottest water I have found, is in the MDR when you ask the waiter for "extra hot" water.

My wife also uses the Aeropress when she wants "real" coffee. Easy to use and carry onboard. Even better when you stop at a port like Roatan where you can get good coffee for super cheap (get the stuff the locals drink that has the Mayan head on it. Something like $3 per bag.). 

• Like 1

My husband and I make our own iced tea with a carafe of hot water that we fill up in the Windjammer and "brew" it with 4 or 5 tea bags.  It tastes so much better than the concentrate that comes out of the machines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

My husband and I make our own iced tea with a carafe of hot water that we fill up in the Windjammer and "brew" it with 4 or 5 tea bags.  It tastes so much better than the concentrate that comes out of the machines.

Their iced tea tastes like wet tobacco leaves to me.  Blech.