Anyone attended a Zoom Meeting during their RCI cruise?

atgood

We’re scheduled for a cruise on Allure OTS (in a few months) and today at work I found out I having training scheduled via Zoom Meeting for multiple days @ 8 hours a day during our cruise.  

Has anyone attended a lengthy Zoom Meeting while on Allure OTS or another RCI ship?  How did it work out?  Any suggestions?

I’d rather not work while on a cruise, but it would still be better than staying home to attend the training and missing the cruise.  I was planning on getting Voom Surf and Stream to begin with.  

Yes, in general the internet is fast enough to support a Zoom call. I've needed to take several Zoom calls without a problem. The issue is that it can be unpredictable. In my experience, the internet is available and solid about 90% of the time...it's just if that 10% it's unavailable is when you need it for your training.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, atgood said:

We’re scheduled for a cruise on Allure OTS (in a few months) and today at work I found out I having training scheduled via Zoom Meeting for multiple days @ 8 hours a day during our cruise.  

Has anyone attended a lengthy Zoom Meeting while on Allure OTS or another RCI ship?  How did it work out?  Any suggestions?

I’d rather not work while on a cruise, but it would still be better than staying home to attend the training and missing the cruise.  I was planning on getting Voom Surf and Stream to begin with.  

At 8 hours a day, would you really enjoy your cruise even if the internet was up to it?  I would suggest rescheduling one or the other, but that is just me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That doesn’t sound like much of a vacation.  If you were already approved I’d be saying thanks but no thanks.

if you hadn’t asked for time off yet I’d reschedule cruise.

life is short, don’t give up true vacation time.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

At 8 hours a day, would you really enjoy your cruise even if the internet was up to it?  I would suggest rescheduling one or the other, but that is just me. 

Thanks for your perspective.  I’m looking more for technical input or recent Zoom experiences. 

I’ve gone on lots of RCI cruises in the past and have more to look forward to in the near future.  Taking the training on a ship would still be better than doing it from home as my spouse is still going on the cruise either way.  And, I’d rather go ahead and do the training and not fall behind or get put in with a new group.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, martikus said:

That doesn’t sound like much of a vacation.  If you were already approved I’d be saying thanks but no thanks.

Thanks.  I would get my vacation time back for the hours attending the training.  I would end up going on another cruise later in the year with the vacation time I don’t use on this cruise.  

• Like 2

This should be Royal's next thing. Private office nooks with super-duper reliable internet and business support. I can't think of a better place to work. 

I haven't done zoom but I would agree with the above 90% rating on streaming. You may have to get back on but that happens on land too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Sheesh. I wish that people would either answer a poster's question, or pass it by.  Your opinion of what someone does on a cruise is at best irrelevant, and at worst, a deep failure to MYOB.

It’s okay.  They were just trying to help prevent a fellow cruiser from making the mistake of trying work while on a cruise vacation.  

Many years ago I made the mistake of using a week of my vacation time to chaperone 40 6th graders on a school trip to Key West.  I didn’t end up having near the free time we were told we’d have and I came home exhausted.  

Edited by atgood

14 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

This should be Royal's next thing. Private office nooks with super-duper reliable internet and business support. I can't think of a better place to work. 

I haven't done zoom but I would agree with the above 90% rating on streaming. You may have to get back on but that happens on land too.

I know there are people who definitely work while on the ship; day traders, TAs, tech support, call center stuff, etc. 

Normally, I don’t think it’d be something I’d enjoy doing, but I’d do it this occasion if it seems likely it will work.  I’ll have a backup plan to attend another future training whenever it’s offered (if needed).  

Edited by atgood

14 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I’ll give you that that might be the next big thing, but I’m thinking they would throw that internet speed at the gaming crowd. A new generation of folks need a reason to get off the couch and get cruising. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Sheesh. I wish that people would either answer a poster's question, or pass it by.  Your opinion of what someone does on a cruise is at best irrelevant, and at worst, a deep failure to MYOB.

As is your comment

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

7 hours ago, martikus said:

We all work and travel differently. I almost always do work while on vacation. As a business owner, it's just easier to do certain things and have to deal with the consequences upon my return.  In trade, I also travel MUCH more than the average, so I'm okay with it. 

I guess my point is, when someone reads the OPs comments, they're only seeing through the perspective of their particular lens.  Maybe pausing and realizing not everyone is walking the same path you are might be useful.

I mean, it's almost laughable that these two thought they were so enlightened that they even need to point this out to the OP.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

We all work and travel differently. I almost always do work while on vacation. As a business owner, it's just easier to do certain things and have to deal with the consequences upon my return.  In trade, I also travel MUCH more than the average, so I'm okay with it. 

I guess my point is, when someone reads the OPs comments, they're only seeing through the perspective of their particular lens.  Maybe pausing and realizing not everyone is walking the same path you are might be useful.

I mean, it's almost laughable that these two thought they were so enlightened that they even need to point this out to the OP.

I love when people say just reschedule or turn your phone off, someone else will do it...  With that kind of attitude, you may not have that job that allows you to take that cruise.  I find it amazing how we are able to multi-task and have the ability to keep up with home/work in today's world.  The fact that we have internet on the ships allows my husband and I to travel and him to be able to set aside hours for work.  

Regarding Zoom, he usually uses the port days where he has an international plan to do any calls.  Granted it may be an hour in the am or pm but it has worked.  It may not work as well for you with the 8 hr a day.  Another option is set your alarm for 4 or 5 am and do it then.  Less traffic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Regarding Zoom, he usually uses the port days where he has an international plan to do any calls.  Granted it may be an hour in the am or pm but it has worked.  It may not work as well for you with the 8 hr a day.  Another option is set your alarm for 4 or 5 am and do it then.  Less traffic.

Great point.   I hadn’t thought about the port days as an alternate for internet connectivity.  

38 minutes ago, atgood said:

Great point.   I hadn’t thought about the port days as an alternate for internet connectivity.  

With his job, we can't just shut off.  So we have learned a few tricks along the way. 😁

Edit:  I did an online seminar once at the St. Kitt Marriott with a day pass.  I was a good girl and didn't start drinking alcohol until done.  So if you can adjust your background 😉 try a day pass zoom call.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Welcome to the internet and CC. 😄

Teasing

I've done 90 minute ones just fine without video.  My father has done video calls as well.

8 hours might be stretching it, though.  What happens if the net goes down for a bit during the training?  Will you be yelled at?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As long as you are not presenting - but only "actively" listening; you should be fine.  I would let the host know that I may have an unstable connection. No one needs to know if that is because of a snow storm in New Hampshire or a lousy connection in the Caribbean!  Also watch that Zoom background - now that could be interesting.  I agree that the next thing will be office pods ($$) that provide reliable connections for working "from home". 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, celoplyr said:

I've done 90 minute ones just fine without video.  My father has done video calls as well.

8 hours might be stretching it, though.  What happens if the net goes down for a bit during the training?  Will you be yelled at?

I don’t know for sure just yet.  Usually training is laid back.