Veteran luxury cruiser taking first cruise on Cunard -- a few questions

bitob

We are luxury cruisers.  I have done a lot of research, read as many recent threads on CC as I could, but I still have a few questions.

We are booked on a TA on the QE in a Queens Grill level suite.

I need to confirm.

Internet is not included.  Can you buy a package for the entire length of the cruise?

Alcohol is not included.  Am I correct there will be some alcohol in my suite?  We are not big drinkers at all.  Can I ask for wine?

Are any soft drinks included?  I assume iced tea is no charge.

Espresso drinks are not included.  I see I can buy a coffee card for espresso drinks.  Only one of us is a latte addict.  Will they let me buy just one card?

Although we do plan to bring formal wear, if there is an evening when we do not want to "dress" where, other than the Queens Grill can we dine?

Thx in advance

Not sure of all the details of a Queens Grill cabin and alcohol provision issue etc 

We did though get upgraded to Queens grill once and found dining on a table for 6 very strange all 3 couples came at different times ....

Its preferable to wear formal attire on such nights but i think so long as your smartly dressed ..jacket and tie for men and cocktail /country club for women there will be no objection 

Personally whilst we have very many days on Cunard inc recent ill fated 19 day Xmas sea cruise in plebs class but those days earn us free internet ( its not that brilliant mind )  ..... if i had the choice as i suspect costs are same i would choose Regent everytime with Seabourne a close 2nd to forking out for Queens grill 

We love the QM2 on such a crossing and found the food in Brittania pretty darn good 

We do not remember Queens grill food being that special and found the crazy restrictions of assigned seating annoying .

Hence its itinery versus price everytime ...so if we want luxury we choose Regent or Seabourne 

But if we simply want a cruise or a crossing its Cunard 

The library is truly excellent 

Edited by phillipahain
Spelling

1. You can buy internet packages, but they are expensive, particularly as the Internet isn't very good.

2. You can choose wine for your suite, and, in my experience, it's replaced as you finish a bottle. Your fridge is also stocked with beers and cans of soft drinks. Ask for what you want.

3. I wouldn't bother with a coffee card. Most coffees are free in the Grills Bar, and there is a coffee machine in your cabin.

4. It's not formal every night in the QG. On formal nights, there is the Lido for the more casual dressers.

46 minutes ago, bitob said:

We are luxury cruisers.  I have done a lot of research, read as many recent threads on CC as I could, but I still have a few questions.

We are booked on a TA on the QE in a Queens Grill level suite.

I need to confirm.

Internet is not included.  Can you buy a package for the entire length of the cruise?

Yes, you can be have internet for the duration of the cruise but the internet packages are bought by number of minutes rather than duration. Connection can be hit and miss at times but I find sitting on the stairs a great place for a strong signal!

Alcohol is not included.  Am I correct there will be some alcohol in my suite?  We are not big drinkers at all.  Can I ask for wine?

Certainly can. You will have an allowance of 2 bottles at a time, spirts/wine or a combo. In our experience, the bottles are replaced when nearing 'the bottom; and if not, ask the butler for more.

Are any soft drinks included?  I assume iced tea is no charge.

Sodas and beers  of your choice will be arranged for you if you don't like what's already stocked in the fridge. Iced tea, yes, as  is fresh orange juice.

Espresso drinks are not included.  I see I can buy a coffee card for espresso drinks.  Only one of us is a latte addict.  Will they let me buy just one card?

We dpn't bother with a card. The Grills lounge has a selection of teas and coffees when the bar is staffed.

Although we do plan to bring formal wear, if there is an evening when we do not want to "dress" where, other than the Queens Grill can we dine?

Yes, The Lido.

46 minutes ago, bitob said:

Thx in advance

Hope you enjoy the experience. any will argue 'it's not luxury, but it suits us and many, many repeaters.

• Like 2

The dress code in QG is probably adhered to more than anywhere else, so I wouldn't "dress down" to country club attire on a "formal" night, as you will stand out.

You will probably fall in love with the menus and service, so won't want to dine elsewhere. We never have in 25+ trips in QG. Remember you can order off menu, although notice may be required for something extra special.

Most pax in QG choose a table for 2, unless you particularly want to be on a large table.

Discuss your drinks options with your butler. For example, on one crossing with my 25 year old son who doesn't drink spirits, our butler filled the cupboard beside the fridge with about 2 dozen beers.

The only World Club perk worth having is the internet package. We get 8 hours each free. Otherwise it's quite expensive. Compose any emails off-line and send all at once.

You'll be offered cold canapes every night (which we decline at the start), but you'll get hot ones in the Grill Lounge from 5:00 pm onwards.

I'm sure you will have a great time. 

Good luck.

Stewart

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Typo, sorry for inclusion although I agree with all of your comment

42 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Not sure of all the details of a Queens Grill cabin and alcohol provision issue etc 

We did though get upgraded to Queens grill once and found dining on a table for 6 very strange all 3 couples came at different times ....

Its preferable to wear formal attire on such nights but i think so long as your smartly dressed ..jacket and tie for men and cocktail /country club for women there will be no objection 

Personally whilst we have very many days on Cunard inc recent ill fated 19 day Xmas sea cruise in plebs class but those days earn us free internet ( its not that brilliant mind )  ..... if i had the choice as i suspect costs are same i would choose Regent everytime with Seabourne a close 2nd to forking out for Queens grill 

We love the QM2 on such a crossing and found the food in Brittania pretty darn good 

We do not remember Queens grill food being that special and found the crazy restrictions of assigned seating annoying .

Hence its itinery versus price everytime ...so if we want luxury we choose Regent or Seabourne 

But if we simply want a cruise or a crossing its Cunard 

The library is truly excellent 

We've done the odd QG cruise or two and whilst not gourmets, we find the standard of food in QG to be extremely high overall. 

I don't know what  you mean when talking 'crazy restrictions'. It's always been pretty straightforward for us over the last couple of hundred nights whilst eating there.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

Very helpful 

our crystal transatlantic was cancelled so we decided to give Cunard a try. We’d rather sail home than fly. It was so inexpensive compared to crystal that we don’t mind a few add ons. And we are really excited about all the on board activities 

1 hour ago, bitob said:

Very helpful 

our crystal transatlantic was cancelled so we decided to give Cunard a try. We’d rather sail home than fly. It was so inexpensive compared to crystal that we don’t mind a few add ons. And we are really excited about all the on board activities 

We love the lectures in particular.  

Everyone's preferences are different, but we like Cunard better than our one experience on Crystal.  I hope you enjoy your Cunard transatlantic.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't know what  you mean when talking 'crazy restrictions'. It's always been pretty straightforward for us over the last couple of hundred nights whilst eating there.

Maybe things are different now but what really got us was we wanted to have lunch on the little terrace with a couple from another table and we had to be served by the waiters from both our table and theirs just seemed ridiculous ...

14 hours ago, bitob said:

Very helpful 

I'll be surprised if you don't find the food in QG better than on Crystal. They can prepare Crêpes Suzette properly, for a start.

Your bar will be stocked when you arrive but let your butler know of any preferences you have for particular drinks. You will be able to choose two bottles of wine and/or spirits - similar to the Crystal system - and there will be soft drinks/mixers in the fridge. The butler will inobtrusively enter the cabin bringing you your pre-dinner canapes which I found went very well with a glass of the French champagne (Veuve from memory) provided for you at the start of your voyage. 

I've always found a large table of dinner companions to be a very pleasant part of the journey but then we're all different.

The lectures and musical performances are very good on Cunard. Great dancing including group dance classes during the day (not sure about in covid times) as well as trivia, craft etc. And as someone else commented, the library is a wonder.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Maybe things are different now but what really got us was we wanted to have lunch on the little terrace with a couple from another table and we had to be served by the waiters from both our table and theirs just seemed ridiculous ...

Not come across that but I wouldn't class it a 'crazy restriction' if we had.

4 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

...The butler will inobtrusively enter the cabin bringing you your pre-dinner canapes which I found went very well with a glass of the French champagne (Veuve from memory) provided for you at the start of your voyage. ..

I agree with all your comments. The 'house' champagne on our last cruise had been switched from Veuve  to Delamotte.

From when we first started chucking money at Cunard, the house champagne was Perrier Jouet (my favourite), and that continued on QV for a number of years. On QM2 it was Veuve as they had the Champagne Bar. Later they all changed to Delamotte then Laurent Perrier.

We therefore got a surprise in 2019 when the welcome aboard champagne in our room was the Widow.

51 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

From when we first started chucking money at Cunard, the house champagne was Perrier Jouet (my favourite), and that continued on QV for a number of years. On QM2 it was Veuve as they had the Champagne Bar. Later they all changed to Delamotte then Laurent Perrier.

We therefore got a surprise in 2019 when the welcome aboard champagne in our room was the Widow.

Delamotte and L.P. are under the same group umbrella so I suppose that had something to do with the change because I know when the champagne bar changed, our provided  brand changed too. We haven't had Veuve for a few years. Must be an element of pot luck.

Whatever the house, it's all quite pleasant.

Just now, phillipahain said:

Now its Pol Acker ....more like paint stripper  we binned it 

Is that what they're offering in the grills as a welcome bottle? I can see PA in non grill cabins, but in the Q;s G??  If so, that's really a slip.....

13 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Is that what they're offering in the grills as a welcome bottle? I can see PA in non grill cabins, but in the Q;s G??  If so, that's really a slip.....

Admittedly it's over two years now since we sailed, but I can't see P.A. being used as a substitute for the  arrival champagne.

Whilst P.A. certainly brightens up fresh orange juice, if Cunard offer champagne on arrival, that's what will be on offer.

Another question

The Grills Lounge  The  Grills Bar -- are those 2 different venues?

are drinks and espresso drinks complementary?

The learning curve on this is pretty steep so your help is very much appreciated.

5 minutes ago, bitob said:

Another question

The Grills Lounge  The  Grills Bar -- are those 2 different venues?

are drinks and espresso drinks complementary?

The learning curve on this is pretty steep so your help is very much appreciated.

Yes they are the same place and coffees, teas and hot chocolate are free but not alcoholic drinks.

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Oh yes you do.

And it goes down great in fresh orange juice. 🙂

Well if that is what you get now on embarkation then standards have certainly dropped and the prices for QG/PG suites in 2023 are eye wateringly expensive and definitely not value for money.

Just now, majortom10 said:

Well if that is what you get now on embarkation then standards have certainly dropped and the prices for QG/PG suites in 2023 are eye wateringly expensive and definitely not value for money.

You misunderstand.

The Pol Acker is in addition to, not a substitute for champagne.