Veteran luxury cruiser taking first cruise on Cunard -- a few questions

bitob

30 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Not quite following here.....It sounds like you get Pol Aker AND some sort of legit champagne? If so what brand is it? or don't we know....(haha!)

In November 2021 on QE, it was Laurent Perrier and the ubiquitous Pol Acker.

We know all right! If our guests don't drink the PA, we just leave it.

35 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I believe it claims to be a welcome from the World Club.

From what I read, I'm sure many would say the World Club is welcome to it! 😀

We leave the  bottle behind, unopened on disembarkation if not used in a sort of bucks fizz, but only because we have enough alcohol of our choice provided in the cabin. I have drunk it 'neat' on occasions with friends and whilst it would not be my choice if other wines were on offer,  in truth, I don't think it deserves its 'drain cleaner' reputation. 

• Thanks 1

I have not seen the prices for PG and QG but If you have to pay for booze in PG or QG  and also Internet  i would sure be very interested to compare prices with Regent or Seabourne 

A crossing though on QM2 is a rather different situation

Edited by phillipahain

9 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Not quite following here.....It sounds like you get Pol Aker AND some sort of legit champagne? If so what brand is it? or don't we know....(haha!)

It is a cheap sparkling wine, probably $2 a bottle to produce.   Awful stuff, had it on QM2.

Hello.  I’ve been following all of your postings on the Crystal Board, being a Crystal cruiser myself.  (Recently took September Bermuda cruise on Symphony and Christmas Caribbean cruise on Symphony; also had cancelled a March 2022 Symphony cruise shortly before all of the recent hullabaloo started).  I have also cruised many times on Cunard in Queens Grill, and thought I might be able to offer some useful info.

Other than a cruise around Japan and then to Alaska on Queen Elizabeth in 2019, all of our times on Cunard were transatlantic crossings (originally on the Queen Elizabeth 2, then on the Queen Mary 2).  We absolutely love crossings.  The speakers onboard are usually incredible – so interesting.  The entertainment is quite varied, with lots of live music; presentation of shortened “plays” and “nighttime stories”; production shows, etc.  I have to admit to enjoying the more formal aspect of crossings, especially in the old days when every night other than the first and last were formal, with tuxedos and gowns all around.  Less so these days, although people do dress up a bit.

My husband and I always get a table for 2 in the Queens Grill restaurant.  Your waitpeople get to know you and what you like and don’t like, etc.  You can special order pretty much anything off menu with 24-hours-notice.  We have always found the food to be very good, but we thought the food on Crystal was better (especially with the option of Umi Uma).

It has always annoyed me that internet access costs extra on Cunard, and is quite expensive.  We get a certain amount of free time given our previous cruises, but it is really not enough.  I also don’t like having to pay extra for drinks.  Neither my husband nor I are big drinkers, but it is still annoying.

One thing I wanted to mention in particular about the Queen Elizabeth.  There were 2 “special” elevators across from each other that were the only ones that went to the deck area with the Grills Restaurants and Grills Lounge (which you were able to get to with your cabin card, although other passengers could still use these elevators to go to other decks).  This wound up being a bit inconvenient.  Also, I thought the Grills Lounge on Queen Elizabeth to be a bit “sad” – it was generally mostly empty when I saw it.  I thought the Grills Lounge on Queen Mary 2 was nicer and more welcoming.  One thing to keep a look out for -- there were sometimes special musical performances in the Grills Lounge (such as a piano recital) that were announced to Grills guests during the day, and they could be very nice.  

Hope these comments are helpful.  I’m sure you’ll have a great time.  I continue to hope that Crystal will survive, even though it seems unlikely.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, techteach said:

Life is too short to drink bad wine.

If we're talking P.A. here. it's also churlish to turn one's nose up at it when it's the only drink kindly proffered when visiting friends in their cabin.

Not my choice and we leave our bottle unopened if no one polishes it off for us but it is drinkable and I'm pretty sure  many of the cabin bottles supplied  are consumed, even by some who liken it to drain cleaner.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Embarkation champagne seems to be one of three houses, Veuve Clicquot, Delamotte or Laurent Perrier, all being most acceptable to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taking up on the comment "Life is to short to drink bad wine" , it is one reason I like no inclusive drink on Cunard. We are not big drinkers ,but on holiday like good wines with meal. So I prefer to just pay for what I like. Than pay for inclusive wines I don't like, then pay again for a wine I  like.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Hello.  I’ve been following all of your postings on the Crystal Board, being a Crystal cruiser myself.  (Recently took September Bermuda cruise on Symphony and Christmas Caribbean cruise on Symphony; also had cancelled a March 2022 Symphony cruise shortly before all of the recent hullabaloo started).  I have also cruised many times on Cunard in Queens Grill, and thought I might be able to offer some useful info.

Other than a cruise around Japan and then to Alaska on Queen Elizabeth in 2019, all of our times on Cunard were transatlantic crossings (originally on the Queen Elizabeth 2, then on the Queen Mary 2).  We absolutely love crossings.  The speakers onboard are usually incredible – so interesting.  The entertainment is quite varied, with lots of live music; presentation of shortened “plays” and “nighttime stories”; production shows, etc.  I have to admit to enjoying the more formal aspect of crossings, especially in the old days when every night other than the first and last were formal, with tuxedos and gowns all around.  Less so these days, although people do dress up a bit.

My husband and I always get a table for 2 in the Queens Grill restaurant.  Your waitpeople get to know you and what you like and don’t like, etc.  You can special order pretty much anything off menu with 24-hours-notice.  We have always found the food to be very good, but we thought the food on Crystal was better (especially with the option of Umi Uma).

It has always annoyed me that internet access costs extra on Cunard, and is quite expensive.  We get a certain amount of free time given our previous cruises, but it is really not enough.  I also don’t like having to pay extra for drinks.  Neither my husband nor I are big drinkers, but it is still annoying.

One thing I wanted to mention in particular about the Queen Elizabeth.  There were 2 “special” elevators across from each other that were the only ones that went to the deck area with the Grills Restaurants and Grills Lounge (which you were able to get to with your cabin card, although other passengers could still use these elevators to go to other decks).  This wound up being a bit inconvenient.  Also, I thought the Grills Lounge on Queen Elizabeth to be a bit “sad” – it was generally mostly empty when I saw it.  I thought the Grills Lounge on Queen Mary 2 was nicer and more welcoming.  One thing to keep a look out for -- there were sometimes special musical performances in the Grills Lounge (such as a piano recital) that were announced to Grills guests during the day, and they could be very nice.  

Hope these comments are helpful.  I’m sure you’ll have a great time.  I continue to hope that Crystal will survive, even though it seems unlikely.

Thanks -- I too hope Crystal will survive.  This TA on Cunard should be fun and for us it's something new.

@bitob We did one of the Crystal Serenity Bahamas cruises last summer, as first timers on Crystal, with mostly Cunard QG to compare it against.  I didn't find the gap as wide as I was led to expect.  

In addition to everything discussed, the main thing about being on a Cunarder vs Crystal, is you will probably note the vibe is different. Cunard ships are bigger and more formal and traditional in decor, and while the Cunard crews are friendly and give great service, I never sense that intimate bond between passengers and crew that I found on Serenity.  Serenity did feel like a family reunion -- maybe because it was the 3rd cruise after start-up.  This last December, we were just on QM2's third voyage after start-up and while it was a warm experience, and lots of joy on both sides, it was a bit more formal and distant.

I have no doubt you will have a great time on QE, and look forward to hearing all about it upon your return.. 

1 minute ago, ClipperinSFO said:

@bitob We did one of the Crystal Serenity Bahamas cruises last summer, as first timers on Crystal, with mostly Cunard QG to compare it against.  I didn't find the gap as wide as I was led to expect.  

In addition to everything discussed, the main thing about being on a Cunarder vs Crystal, is you will probably note the vibe is different. Cunard ships are bigger and more formal and traditional in decor, and while the Cunard crews are friendly and give great service, I never sense that intimate bond between passengers and crew that I found on Serenity.  Serenity did feel like a family reunion -- maybe because it was the 3rd cruise after start-up.  This last December, we were just on QM2's third voyage after start-up and while it was a warm experience, and lots of joy on both sides, it was a bit more formal and distant.

I have no doubt you will have a great time on QE, and look forward to hearing all about it upon your return.. 

Thanks

Attitude is everything.  I've already bought some cool masques on Amazon.  We convinced cruising friends to join us.  I plan to have a great time.

I don't it expect to be Crystal.   And yes, the crew on Crystal is extraordinary.  But comparisons are a sure way to be disappointed.  I will enjoy Cunard for what it is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bitob said:

Thanks

Attitude is everything.  I've already bought some cool masques on Amazon.  We convinced cruising friends to join us.  I plan to have a great time.

I don't it expect to be Crystal.   And yes, the crew on Crystal is extraordinary.  But comparisons are a sure way to be disappointed.  I will enjoy Cunard for what it is.

On QE and QV, we have always been greeted as if part of the family. The staff are wonderful although I would say pre lockdown, QV's staff had the edge on friendliness whilst still maintain their professional stance.