Tipping - from the time you leave to the time you get back. Who and how much?

CruiseRQA

Tipping on Celebrity is now included but on your cruise from start to finish who do you tip and how much?   Here were my "opportunities" to tip from the time I got home until I got back.    

1.  Parking lot van driver (parking lot to airport terminal) - in this case the driver did nothing to help with luggage but she did have a tip box next to her.   How much, if any, would you put in?

2.  We checked two bags outside - How much for that guy?

3.  Complimentary  van transportation from FLL to local hotel - tip?  if so how much?  He did help with luggage

4.  Lyft driver from hotel to port terminal

5.  Onboard - I am not even sure how much tips are given to the various people.   Did you give extra?  If so how much?

2 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Tipping on Celebrity is now included but on your cruise from start to finish who do you tip and how much?   Here were my "opportunities" to tip from the time I got home until I got back.    

1.  Parking lot van driver (parking lot to airport terminal) - in this case the driver did nothing to help with luggage but she did have a tip box next to her.   How much, if any, would you put in?

I would not tip the driver if no assistance was provided

a dollar a bag

2 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

3.  Complimentary  van transportation from FLL to local hotel - tip?  if so how much?  He did help with luggage

a dollar a bag

4 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

5.  Onboard - I am not even sure how much tips are given to the various people.   Did you give extra?  If so how much?

1.  Nothing

2.  $5

3.  $5

4.  $2-$3

5.  With the drink package, $1 per drink

Dining Room Wait Staff - Based on service and length of cruise 

Stateroom Attendant -- Based on service and length of cruise

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

OMG FINALLY a post about tipping, it's about time!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

In general very hard to answer.  Here is what we do (we are Americans but it is highly cultural).  These days we give minimum $5 tips suitcases being handled by any service personnel whether it is the hotel, complimentary van drivers (with or without luggage handling), port workers taking your luggage onto the ship or after the cruise ends.  If we have several extra large suitcases maybe $10.  Onboard tips are included and there are tips built into beverage packages but some people give maybe a $1 tip per drink when served.  The majority of people who decide to give extra tips do it on the last night of the cruise, usually with cash in an envelope, for exceptional service.  Maybe your room steward, wait staff in the MDR, butler if in a suite.  Concierges that you used.  You choice on tips (or not) and amounts.  Everybody here will have a different opinion.  

maybe $1 

$5, especially if the bags are heavy 

$5

15% and additional $5 if they help with bags 

5.  Onboard - I am not even sure how much tips are given to the various people.   Did you give extra?  If so how much?

We tip extra for anyone who goes above and beyond the service we normally expect. On a recent cruise we gave $20 each to 2 bartenders, a head waiter who got us the table we wanted, and 2 waiters and assistants.

47 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

maybe $1 

$5, especially if the bags are heavy 

$5

15% and additional $5 if they help with bags 

5.  Onboard - I am not even sure how much tips are given to the various people.   Did you give extra?  If so how much?

We tip extra for anyone who goes above and beyond the service we normally expect. On a recent cruise we gave $20 each to 2 bartenders, a head waiter who got us the table we wanted, and 2 waiters and assistants.

Don’t forget flight attendants. We always get a small box of Frango chocolates for the crew. 

4 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Don’t forget flight attendants. We always get a small box of Frango chocolates for the crew. 

How about seatmates?! Love those. 

yup, tip for luggage handling. For our cruise luggage, $5 for van trans $10 for port handlers. $20 extra for room steward team, and I carry $1’s to tip consistent bar staff.  

den

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

How about seatmates?! Love those. 

yup, tip for luggage handling. For our cruise luggage, $5 for van trans $10 for port handlers. $20 extra for room steward team, and I carry $1’s to tip consistent bar staff.  

den

Good one Den

Thanks for all the responses including the humorous ones.

What did I do?

$2 for the airport van driver.    $5 for checking two bags out side at the airport. $10 to the hotel van driver as he was super friendly and helped with the bags. $5 tip on a $14 Lyft fare from the hotel to  the terminal.   $5 to the guy that collected our 2 bags outside the cruise terminal (forgot to mention that one).

We had about $50 in leftover OBC.   We got the "additional tips form" from guest services and gave $25 to our room attendant and $25 to the dining services pool.  

Tipping is a touchy subject lol. People who tip a lot extra and early insist it gets them great service. So do folks who tip extra at the end and those who tip the “standard” amounts. Reality is you will get great service regardless of the tip. As for pre cruise, if you give the standard “handshake” the porter etc. will likely not even look at the amount, and just pocket it so a few ones will work fine, just tip SOMETHING. The baggage handlers at the pier are likely teamsters union workers and VERY well compensated besides tips. It’s not the same thing for the crew aboard the ship.

On the ship, our guideline has always been, the standard tip (18% on drinks) covers standard service. Anyone who does more you tip more. If we ask our stateroom attendant to setup champagne for us to enjoy after an excursion we tip more. If room service delivers breakfast to our verandah, we tip more. Etc. 

one thing most people don’t like is that tips are usually “pooled” by the staff. The $20 you give to one worker will be shared by the worker you didn’t like. This is by agreement of the staff and we can’t negotiate it. Yes, even cash handed out is expected to get pooled. It’s the honor system, but understand it will happen.

The crew work hard and long hours and are extremely friendly so give what your heart and wallet agree on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Thanks for all the responses including the humorous ones.

What did I do?

$2 for the airport van driver.    $5 for checking two bags out side at the airport. $10 to the hotel van driver as he was super friendly and helped with the bags. $5 tip on a $14 Lyft fare from the hotel to  the terminal.   $5 to the guy that collected our 2 bags outside the cruise terminal (forgot to mention that one).

We had about $50 in leftover OBC.   We got the "additional tips form" from guest services and gave $25 to our room attendant and $25 to the dining services pool.  

First let me start by thanking you for starting a thread that had NOTHING to do with Covid!  Finally....normalcy on Cruise Critic,.

So... you did exactly what I was going to suggest, you tipped what you thought was appropriate,  And that's really the answer.  Whatever YOU feel appropriate. 

We got off the 10-night Silhouette sailing on the 14th.

We drove from Michigan so no tipping for a ride to the port.  The porter we gave $10 for our two large bags (both going on the ship and getting off).  Our room steward was wonderful so we tipped an additional $100.  My husband had the premium drink package abound had a couple favorite bar tenders that he tipped several times ($5, $10 and $20) and he was extremely well taken care of.  Other times we would tip $1 or $2 per drink.  I had many lattes from Cafe Al Bacio and tipped a couple dollars for each one.  

Tipping is really a personal decision.  Give what you feel is right.  Oh, someone said cash tips are supposed to be pooled.  Not true from what we heard from several crew members.  Tips given personally in cash they get to keep for themselves.

50 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

First let me start by thanking you for starting a thread that had NOTHING to do with Covid!  Finally....normalcy on Cruise Critic,.

So... you did exactly what I was going to suggest, you tipped what you thought was appropriate,  And that's really the answer.  Whatever YOU feel appropriate. 

How much do you tip the staff that takes care of you in COVID isolation?  Sorry could not resist.😀

• Haha 1

As others have pointed out, tipping is a personal choice and often judgemental. 

We don't use a parking lot but generally nothing unless they load luggage

Baggage Handler -  $5 per bag

Uber   -   15-20% depending on driver.   If he just shows up and pops the trunk lower side but if engaging and helps loading more.    When going from hotel to pier very short trip give a minimum of $5

On board -  We don't tip during the cruise and tip extra to those who have given us great service.  Circa Butler $50-100,   Room Attendant $50-100   Waiter - $100   Bartender  50-100  Al Bacio $50  Retreat Hosts $50 each  Retreat Bartender $50-100. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As others have pointed out, tipping is a personal choice and often judgemental. 

We don't use a parking lot but generally nothing unless they load luggage

Baggage Handler -  $5 per bag

Uber   -   15-20% depending on driver.   If he just shows up and pops the trunk lower side but if engaging and helps loading more.    When going from hotel to pier very short trip give a minimum of $5

On board -  We don't tip during the cruise and tip extra to those who have given us great service.  Circa Butler $50-100,   Room Attendant $50-100   Waiter - $100   Bartender  50-100  Al Bacio $50  Retreat Hosts $50 each  Retreat Bartender $50-100. 

Wow, that's around an extra $600 - that's another vacation for us! As you say, it is cultural for USA - us Brits mostly balk at this I think. I give $5 porterage for our bags at the ship, plus a couple for the driver that gets us there, and that is it. We don't tip on the cruise at all under the AI package, and we get amazing service and go wanting for nothing.  I will probably get lambasted for this - sorry!

Edited by ian441672
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ian441672 said:

Wow, that's around an extra $600 - that's another vacation for us! As you say, it is cultural for USA - us Brits mostly balk at this I think. I give $5 porterage for our bags at the ship, plus a couple for the driver that gets us there, and that is it. We don't tip on the cruise at all under the AI package, and we get amazing service and go wanting for nothing.  I will probably get lambasted for this - sorry!

If anyone lambastes you for this tell them to STHU.  As you say it is cultural here in US, does not mean it has to apply to everyone in the world.  This is exactly why they have auto gratuities. 

$5 above fee, for the cab driver from airport to FT L port.   Baggage guys at cruise port get $10 if they don't throw my bags into the cart.  Onboard tips are included usually with my package. So everyone gets something. Even though we pay an upcharge, we do the specialty restaurants each, at least once. The Specialty restaurant waiter usually gets a $10-$20 extra. We don't dine in dining room.   Specialty half the nights, or Oceanview for dinner.  It makes it more special to us.  We've done the main dining room thing.     Multiple bar staff members that have taken care of us throughout, get handed a $10 or $20, last day before we leave. Room attendant gets the most though.  They work hard all day and half the night. Single gets $50, helper gets a $20, if they get a helper.  Extra tips get put in their hand, not a group pool.   Have actually become friends over the years with some staff members.   We always tip those who provide any service for us, and not just because we are American.   Because it is a nice thing to do.  A nice TY gesture, but certainly not required, and naturally dependent on that particular service..