Odyssey of the Seas Jan. 15, 2022 - Not Live Recap

twangster

WJ breakfast opened at 6am.  

Elaborate display of chocolate and related confections.  

9285CA9C-FD1B-4FB7-8065-CDCF625F1106.thumb.jpeg.7dbe07da9005290d14e506fb9621b38f.jpeg

After breakfast I returned to my cabin and noted the self express times were being called earlier.  

Super easy debark, no lines, kept walking, facial recognition and I was outside.  Paid for parking, $210 for 14 nights of cruising then took a picture.   Time stamp on photo is 7:04am.  

87BA9A28-C99C-4169-9973-F0CAF00EBAC1.thumb.jpeg.01c16ad92ad7f22cc4897fe3342d07f5.jpeg 

• Like 4

Cruise Summary

Two weeks in paradise is about the best way I can describe it.  

The crew was fantastic, everywhere.  The more I sail the more I appreciate how important the crew is to making Royal Caribbean what it is.  Without the great crew it would just be an empty vessel.

The shows are all really great, some of the best at sea. The advantage to sailing Odyssey multiple times now has been to see the shows from different locations in each venue.  This is especially true in Two70 where the action is all over and around you depending where you sit.  I've already determined where I'll sit when I see The Book again.  Of all the Two70 shows across the fleet of Q class ships, The Book is the best Two70 show.  

The Effectors I've now seen from a couple of different locations around the lower level center section.  Front row (plus one for distancing) was great to see the expressions and make up close up but you miss the effects during Lume's light show and the drones.  While you can feel the breeze of the drones when in the most forward rows you miss the choreographed movement of the drones collectively which is best observed several rows back, like a dozen or more.   Going forward I'll likely avoid the front rows for this amazing show.  

Showgirls on the other hand is great from the front rows.  

I'm kind of glad to see them move to the first come first seated approach in the main theater like other Q class ships.  That makes it easier to adjust as an evening unfolds or if dinner takes longer one night.  

Aruba and Curaçao are amazing destinations that really make the distance sailed so worth it.  

I enjoyed the lower deck balcony for easier access to decks 4 & 5 where all of the non-pool deck action is.  This location makes for an easy descent down the stairs to the action.  The deck 13 forward cabin was very convenient to the pool deck and solarium.  I did hear some deck 14 solarium noise above me from time to time but it was pretty minor and didn't impact sleep.  Some people are heavy walkers, like they have peg legs and every step reverberates while most of the time I didn't hear anything.  It wasn't enough to prevent me from booking this area again and I'm keeping my Alaska balcony cabin on Quantum in this general area.  The window seating in the solarium is located above the deck 13 balconies, not over the cabin interior so I didn't hear any scraping of chairs being moved like some other ships.  

I've always liked Quantum class ships for the modern decor, technology and entertainment.  Two70 is such an awesome venue and Cafe270 a hidden gem for a quick bite.  I much prefer the Windjammer on this class compared to Oasis class.   Odyssey is a well done evolution of this class and I look forward to sailing her again. 

The protocols for restart cruising including the "enhanced" mask protocols really didn't impact me.   At no point did COVID or Omicron cast any shade on either cruise.  No shows were missed and no ports were off limits.  I'm so glad I didn't cancel.

I hope you enjoyed following along and I thank you for viewing.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Cruise Summary

Two weeks in paradise is about the best way I can describe it.  

The crew was fantastic, everywhere.  The more I sail the more I appreciate how important the crew is to making Royal Caribbean what it is.  Without the great crew it would just be an empty vessel.

The shows are all really great, some of the best at sea. The advantage to sailing Odyssey multiple times now has been to see the shows from different locations in each venue.  This is especially true in Two70 where the action is all over and around you depending where you sit.  I've already determined where I'll sit when I see The Book again.  Of all the Two70 shows across the fleet of Q class ships, The Book is the best Two70 show.  

The Effectors I've now seen from a couple of different locations around the lower level center section.  Front row (plus one for distancing) was great to see the expressions and make up close up but you miss the effects during Lume's light show and the drones.  While you can feel the breeze of the drones when in the most forward rows you miss the choreographed movement of the drones collectively which is best observed several rows back, like a dozen or more.   Going forward I'll likely avoid the front rows for this amazing show.  

Showgirls on the other hand is great from the front rows.  

I'm kind of glad to see them move to the first come first seated approach in the main theater like other Q class ships.  That makes it easier to adjust as an evening unfolds or if dinner takes longer one night.  

Aruba and Curaçao are amazing destinations that really make the distance sailed so worth it.  

I enjoyed the lower deck balcony for easier access to decks 4 & 5 where all of the non-pool deck action is.  This location makes for an easy descent down the stairs to the action.  The deck 13 forward cabin was very convenient to the pool deck and solarium.  I did hear some deck 14 solarium noise above me from time to time but it was pretty minor and didn't impact sleep.  Some people are heavy walkers, like they have peg legs and every step reverberates while most of the time I didn't hear anything.  It wasn't enough to prevent me from booking this area again and I'm keeping my Alaska balcony cabin on Quantum in this general area.  The window seating in the solarium is located above the deck 13 balconies, not over the cabin interior so I didn't hear any scraping of chairs being moved like some other ships.  

I've always liked Quantum class ships for the modern decor, technology and entertainment.  Two70 is such an awesome venue and Cafe270 a hidden gem for a quick bite.  I much prefer the Windjammer on this class compared to Oasis class.   Odyssey is a well done evolution of this class and I look forward to sailing her again. 

The protocols for restart cruising including the "enhanced" mask protocols really didn't impact me.   At no point did COVID or Omicron cast any shade on either cruise.  No shows were missed and no ports were off limits.  I'm so glad I didn't cancel.

I was on the 6 day (second of your B2B) and I absolutely had the same thoughts!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I've already determined where I'll sit when I see The Book again

Do tell, do tell!!!!!!!

And thanks for the wonderful review, helps make my 11 month wait for Odyssey seem shorter.  We are doing Alaska via Ovation in 23.  All your observations will help tremendously!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Thanks again and again,  

Great job!! 

So happy that your Itinerary was not disrupted,  

I'm praying ours will stay the same too.

So looking forward to our cruise on Odyssey. 

So did you hear of any COVID cases on this trip??

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, twangster said:

Since I’m here a Kūmmelweck for lunch.   

8807A479-B83C-441A-A300-BEDBF0231CFC.thumb.jpeg.d302e237a8b0b76b476b66621f50b873.jpeg

Not to be confused with "beef on 'weck". I'll be on Odyssey 4/17. Looking forward to finding out if it's true Buffalo Beef on Kimmelweck. It's all in the salted, caraway seeded bun... and the thin sliced beef and drippings. YUM! Can't wait. Thank you for the heads up Twangster.

On 1/30/2022 at 5:14 AM, twangster said:

Cruise Summary

Thank you for all of your information and insight into this particular ship and all it has to offer. Your review is Very much appreciated. Thank You!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, dwp10mm said:

Thank you.  That is perfect.  If I can convert these into buckle bracelets I'll share with all here afterwards.

So, I took the feedback Twangster sent on the bracelets and ordered a buckle kit from Amazon.  I'm back from my two weeks on Odyssey and wanted to follow up on this post.  The buckles worked well.  They would loosen over time.  But easy enough to tighten when needed.  Pics for how I laced them to keep the straps out of the way.  

RoyalVacBraclet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, dwp10mm said:

So, I took the feedback Twangster sent on the bracelets and ordered a buckle kit from Amazon.  I'm back from my two weeks on Odyssey and wanted to follow up on this post.  The buckles worked well.  They would loosen over time.  But easy enough to tighten when needed.  Pics for how I laced them to keep the straps out of the way.  

RoyalVacBraclet.jpg

Sorry I missed this posted info from Twangster? Could you tell me the buckle size? Is this 1/2 inch? 1 Inch? Would also love to order these!