Roughly what % of capacity has Carnival been running at the last few weeks?

Tom-n-Cheryl

19 hours ago, sportscruiser said:

Just got off Radiance on Friday. Only 872 passengers, capacity 2984, so less than 50%.

Indeed it is.  The cheer leaders can say it's less than 80% and be correct.  The bean counters see it as what it truly is....less than 30%. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dan-o 1 said:

As of Feb. 1st percentages will be high due to not being able to cancel without penalties.

Higher no doubt. But I'm still not thinking they'll be High with the big *O* still abundantly going around... Lol I'd be good if the #'s would stay down on Sunshine until after Feb 19. We've sailed on her many times. Always crowded...

Out of the three cruises I have taken since the restart I would say the October Mardi Gras felt the most crowded.  That cruise I received an incredible rate and I think many of the passengers received reduced rates as well.  I spent money on board and tipped extra (I always do) to my waitstaff and stateroom staff.  I haven't received another offer like that but if I did I would be tempted to spend more money while onboard.  Carnival, I'm waiting......😎

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:16 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm asking because we're going on the Reflection next month, and they've had several sailings with guest counts of 900-1200, so appx 35-40%, which seems quite low. I was not sure if Carnival has been in the same range or not. I know on our three (since restart) Carnival sailings they were a good 60-75%+, but that was pre-Omicron.

Tom

We sailed July 3-7 out of Miami and the boat was just over 50%..

5 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

We sailed July 3-7 out of Miami and the boat was just over 50%..

Anything that's not 70+% sounds like more of a vacation to me! 

Nearing 1:1 guest to crew ratios sound great, even if not sustainable 🙂

Tom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Anything that's not 70+% sounds like more of a vacation to me! 

Nearing 1:1 guest to crew ratios sound great, even if not sustainable 🙂

Tom

The ship felt empty, no lines, hot tub open, always open chairs.. 

Going back to full capacity ships will not be fun lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Cruise director, guest services desk, an officer you get into a conversation with.... different sources.

And all the way knowing, you very might well receive 3 different answers. I would go with the guest services desk 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

And all the way knowing, you very might well receive 3 different answers. I would go with the guest services desk 

I agree simply because when I asked at the guest services desk the guy actually looked it up on his computer screen.

• Thanks 2

I was curious about this, too.  We did a last minute 3 day on the Radiance out of Long Beach earlier this month and it was, probably 30 to 40 percent?  It was like a ghost ship.  We're doing another next week on the Miracle and I'm wondering what that will be like.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Cruise director, guest services desk, an officer you get into a conversation with.... different sources.

I usually wait until about 3am day 2 or 3 and start knocking on all the doors like a census taker. 😝

I suppose asking someone in authority might be a tad easier. 😉

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

So emptier ships, but is it same amount of crew or are services really cut back? Might not be a bad thing…. we cruise April 2. 

I have no inside information, but it seems to me that it is the same amount of crew. We've only been on the Glory, but three times, since reopening and service in the MDR is the best ever. They are always cleaning and the ship is probably cleaner than it has been in years. Everything points to about the same number of crew that now have time to do more than before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, icft said:

I have no inside information, but it seems to me that it is the same amount of crew. We've only been on the Glory, but three times, since reopening and service in the MDR is the best ever. They are always cleaning and the ship is probably cleaner than it has been in years. Everything points to about the same number of crew that now have time to do more than before.

I'd like to think that this would give the overworked cabin stewards a slight break. They (along with dining room staff) have been stretched thinner and thinner over the years (more cabins/tables).

Tom

On 1/25/2022 at 10:57 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Substantially better than one year ago when they were all at 0%.  The big 4 aren't going anywhere.

Hard to be certain if these low counts continue for any period of time. Gotta be losing tons of money with every sailing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'd like to think that this would give the overworked cabin stewards a slight break. They (along with dining room staff) have been stretched thinner and thinner over the years (more cabins/tables).

Tom

I'm sure it's easier on them - but it will be hard giving up the extra tips they were getting.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Hard to be certain if these low counts continue for any period of time. Gotta be losing tons of money with every sailing.

If any of the 4 could be in trouble it would be NCL, but like I said making a little money, which they are doing is better than bleeding millions, which is what they were doing.

30 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

If any of the 4 could be in trouble it would be NCL, but like I said making a little money, which they are doing is better than bleeding millions, which is what they were doing.

Yup, then Royal, Carnival is the safest bet long term. Even if the industry is upended entirely, and all lines end up in failure, Carnival would come back in some form or fashion.They are the 10K pound gorilla in the space. That said, protecting your position is important to be sure. Frustration fighting for your money back would suck, no matter what. This is why Carnival allowing cancellations should inspire folks to feel confident, if not, cancel and rebook as you cruise. No other line is allowing such flexibility. Kudos to Carnival for doing so. 

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1