Seriously!! TURN LEFT 😄

oddjob16

What is wrong with some peoples built-in compasses? When I see people walking around the track above the pool deck and making right turns I just flip out. Where in evolution did things go wrong?

Ever since the ancient Greeks started doing laps for the sake of measuring fastest laps, or just for excercise, be it horses or humans, the laps have always been LEFT turns.

For some reason certain people insist on walking, running or dragging themselves around the lap, always facing ALL the other people in the white of their eyes who is doing the laps CORRECTLY, which is the left turns. 

There! Finally got it out.🤯🥵🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

When I go to the track to walk and someone is already there, I go the direction they are going. If I am the first one, I usually go counterclockwise. Out of respect, one should not choose to go the opposite direction of the rest of the walkers/runners. I have found that the track is the same distance with either right or left turns.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A number of cruise lines, Princess & Royal Caribbean included, put direction arrows on their jogging tracks and it’s always counterclockwise. We were once told by a ships captain that it’s considered bad luck to walk clockwise around a ships deck.

True or not even when there are arrows advising direction of travel some people will walk in the opposite direction.

• Like 3

Some of us go the wrong way just because everyone else is going the "right" way.  I wonder though if the Brits who drive on the other side of the road also run in the "wrong" way as a matter of course.  Any Brits out there?  Also does it matter if you are north or south of the equator in the way that you run?

After all, it does depend upon whether you are north or south as to where the sun rises.  Don't laugh!!  When I returned from my long Australia land trip, I had some people convinced that in Australia the sun rises in the west and sets in the east because it is south of the equator.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Some of us go the wrong way just because everyone else is going the "right" way.  I wonder though if the Brits who drive on the other side of the road also run in the "wrong" way as a matter of course.  Any Brits out there?  Also does it matter if you are north or south of the equator in the way that you run?

After all, it does depend upon whether you are north or south as to where the sun rises.  Don't laugh!!  When I returned from my long Australia land trip, I had some people convinced that in Australia the sun rises in the west and sets in the east because it is south of the equator.

DON

You also weigh less in Australia, because your belly is hanging down off the Earth 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Perhaps they are Canadians. When enjoying public skating around an arena ice surface, at scheduled intervals an announcement would tell everyone to reverse direction.

This had the advantage of developing the skill of efficiently turning to the right or left, a skill useful in a hockey game. 

More seriously, if walking the track and constantly overtaking a large group of distracted socializers, I sometimes reverse direction so as to not seem to continually sneak up for the purpose of eavesdropping. And I also don’t have to negotiate an open path around them.

• Like 3

We did a segment of the world cruise on the Queen Victoria a few years ago. On our table we had a guy who was doing the whole cruise. Every day he boasted that he was the only one who deliberately walked the wrong way round the deck and thought it was funny when people nearly knocked him over. He was a right prat. He also made sure that Cunard knew he was doing a blog about the cruise and managed to get upgraded to Grills halfway round. He may have been a prat but he wasn't stupid!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, oddjob16 said:

What is wrong with some peoples built-in compasses? When I see people walking around the track above the pool deck and making right turns I just flip out. Where in evolution did things go wrong?

Ever since the ancient Greeks started doing laps for the sake of measuring fastest laps, or just for excercise, be it horses or humans, the laps have always been LEFT turns.

For some reason certain people insist on walking, running or dragging themselves around the lap, always facing ALL the other people in the white of their eyes who is doing the laps CORRECTLY, which is the left turns. 

There! Finally got it out.🤯🥵🤣

I would add to that, to please not take up the entire width of the track when there are two walking together.  

• Like 11

A bit of "science":

The Superior vena-cava collects de-oxygenated blood to the heart aided by heart suction. This vein carries blood from left to right. Centrifugal force due to anticlockwise running helps this suction. If we run clockwise, the centrifugal force impedes suction. That is why, in olden days, health officers ensured that all carnival merry-go-rounds were run only in the anti-clockwise direction. As the heart is on the left side, for humans and animals, running anticlockwise makes the centrifugal force in the body to act from left to right. Whereas it is from right to left for clockwise running. Racing tracks, animal shows in circuses, bullock-drawn pelt on wheels, all mostly have only left turns. Stairways in temple towers have only left turns for going up. Clockwise running tires people.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Don't get brainwashed like 'Zoolander.'  Humans are capable of turning both ways – and sometimes turning the other way saves the world!

Apparently, until the 1940’s humans did indeed run clockwise on the tracks at Oxford and Cambridge, and at the first three Olympics de Coubertin borrwed that tradition from those elite institutions.

As we know from the famous finishing photo, by 1954 even England had accepted the international norm when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute barrier at the Iffley track at Oxford.

However, every fall and winter humans again demonstrate their flexible turning capabilities on Xcountry and Nordic Ski Trails.

• Like 2

And every country that drives on the left goes around roundabouts in a clockwise fashion.  Since we were instructed on Noble Caledonia to keep to the left on the stairs and hallways, that would imply that people from those countries would naturally go around clockwise.

BTW, where does Azamara say there is rule about the walking track?