Laundry question….b2b2b2b

joanne59

16 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

That works great for driving, but it adds weight for those of us that fly, and pretty much everything is a flight for me. If I could take 10x as much, and stay under 50lbs., I would be there for it. 😉

They do get heavier. But, that's one of the reasons that we moved to Florida when we knew we were going to retire. After a million flight miles each during our careers, we don't fly anywhere any more. We even take the train when we want to go to NYC to cruise out of there.

• Like 1

We've done 28 days on a b2b.  You each get 1 bag per cruise.  That was 4 bags for us.  We divided our stuff by darks and lights.  Put underwear, pj's, polo shirts, t-shirts, socks, shorts and capris in the bags.  Washed out a few things and sent 2 pair of slacks to the regular laundry.  We had 1, 20" suitcase each and I had a small back pack for our valuables and paperwork.  Worked fine.  

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Not sure if this is possible but have you checked to see if there is a place that would let you store some of your baggage while doing the train travel.  If you are cruising in and out of the same port this might be an option.  Sounds like a fun trip.  It would be a fun Live Review to follow.  When does it start?

I’ve thought about storing luggage in a port city, but we aren’t repeating any ports except Copenhagen on 5/8 and 9/4 so that would be a long storage period and could be costly. I’ve considered doing some blogging of the trip, which begins 4/20 and ends on 9/18, however only 63 days will be spent on a ship. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

We've done 28 days on a b2b.  You each get 1 bag per cruise.  That was 4 bags for us.  We divided our stuff by darks and lights.  Put underwear, pj's, polo shirts, t-shirts, socks, shorts and capris in the bags.  Washed out a few things and sent 2 pair of slacks to the regular laundry.  We had 1, 20" suitcase each and I had a small back pack for our valuables and paperwork.  Worked fine.  

Those free bags will certainly help us out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

I was brainstorming and read this....

"we prefer tot carry less baggage for our train travel, between cruises, round Europe."

what exactly do you mean?...as always, politely asking.

We will be traveling overseas leaving FL 4/20 TA and returning on TA 9/4. We do have periods of time (train travel) we won’t be cruising, so laundry is no issue. It’s the b2b for 28 days where we will be onboard continuously. 

1 hour ago, joanne59 said:

We will be traveling overseas leaving FL 4/20 TA and returning on TA 9/4. We do have periods of time (train travel) we won’t be cruising, so laundry is no issue. It’s the b2b for 28 days where we will be onboard continuously. 

😊 Smiling...we are also on the 9/4 sailing. 

Sounds like a trip of epic proportions.

If the free bag is not enough...and before you start washing clothes in the sink...ask the L.A. or the G.S. manager if they'll give you extra free laundry bag...most will accommodate you.  You also have the $10 off/bag.  That said...

* Bring mostly "quick dry" clothes.

* A pair of good walking shoes.

* It could get hot...but be mindful that most churches won't allow bare shoulders or shorts.

* Be careful of pickpockets.

* Bring a folding umbrella...cover for sun and rain and doubles as a baton.

* Don't worry about formal wear.

Almost 43 years ago, I "eurailed" all over Europe...one backpack...for 5 months...and before I left, got the best advice from my college tennis coach, who said "Nobody cares what you are wearing."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joanne59 said:

I know we will take advantage of the bag of laundry wash deal that’s offered onboard, but if we are on multiple consecutive cruises, is that truly going to suffice? What are some additional solutions for folks that have extended trips on board. Has anyone ever found a laundry close by with options for drop off/pick up same day service. These will be various Mediterranean ports, so not as simple as jumping in a cab and heading to a coin operated DIY place in the states. I have a feeling we will be washing out things in the sink A LOT! Not a problem, just brainstorming here…thanks! 

It's only about $35 per bag, pretty much stuff it full, not really that expensive all things considered

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I read diamond plus gets a free bag of laundry. I may use it in may, but havent yet.

That free bag comes in very handy.  You can either pack fewer undies/tees/ jammies, or use it to get the wash done before packing.

3 hours ago, joanne59 said:

I’ve thought about storing luggage in a port city, but we aren’t repeating any ports except Copenhagen on 5/8 and 9/4 so that would be a long storage period and could be costly. I’ve considered doing some blogging of the trip, which begins 4/20 and ends on 9/18, however only 63 days will be spent on a ship. 

If you're off the ship for periods of time, and know where you're staying, google map for laundromats nearby.  I did this when we stayed in Paris for 3 nights before flying home after a transatlantic.  I found one about 2 blocks from our hotel.  Came in very handy.  You might want to do this for all your land stops.

Keep euro coins handy.  I also travel with these:

Dissolving laundry sheets for travel

For hand-laundry in the room, I wash in the sink, then spray again in the shower as it's draped over the clothesline (except one ship I was on didn't have a clothesline in the shower, that was annoying). 

I let it drip for a while, then lay a towel (bath or pool) on the floor, lay my no-longer-dripping clothing on top of it, and cover with another towel.  

I then roll up the towel lasagna into a log, then stand/walk on the log (I hold on to the back of the vanity chair for balance/stability).  The pressure from walking on the log pushes the moisture into the towel and out of the clothing item.  

Then I put the item on a hanger and put the hanger on a magnetic hook (these 22-pound hooks are small but STRONG) either near the air vent, or in front of my little 4" desk fan (or both).  Most things dry in a few hours, and definitely overnight, even in the humid Caribbean.  

I also use the freebie D+ bag for socks, undies, pajamas, and knit pants.  My t-shirts all have screenprinted stuff on them, so I wash those myself in the room, but if I had plain t-shirts or tank tops, I'd send those in the freebie bag of laundry, too.  

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

They do get heavier. But, that's one of the reasons that we moved to Florida when we knew we were going to retire. After a million flight miles each during our careers, we don't fly anywhere any more. We even take the train when we want to go to NYC to cruise out of there.

And here I am dreading the drive to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow.  😉  

Too spoiled being 20 minutes from Port Canaveral.  

We pack for this B2B as we would for one week, and will do same for the four week trip coming up on Wonder.  Hand wash light easy dry items, laundry bag, send out dry cleaning as needed.  I detest over packing.  😮 

Edited by island lady

3 hours ago, island lady said:

And here I am dreading the drive to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow.  😉  

Too spoiled being 20 minutes from Port Canaveral.  

We pack for this B2B as we would for one week, and will do same for the four week trip coming up on Wonder.  Hand wash light easy dry items, laundry bag, send out dry cleaning as needed.  I detest over packing.  😮 

We have also learned over the years that less is more…we don’t always change for dinner, and being overseas, won’t have bathing suits and/or snorkel-beach gear. Not flying domestically, but from Barcelona to Copenhagen, and Copenhagen to Rome, so have to be concerned with those strict carryon luggage weights. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

For hand-laundry in the room, I wash in the sink, then spray again in the shower as it's draped over the clothesline (except one ship I was on didn't have a clothesline in the shower, that was annoying). 

I let it drip for a while, then lay a towel (bath or pool) on the floor, lay my no-longer-dripping clothing on top of it, and cover with another towel.  

I then roll up the towel lasagna into a log, then stand/walk on the log (I hold on to the back of the vanity chair for balance/stability).  The pressure from walking on the log pushes the moisture into the towel and out of the clothing item.  

Then I put the item on a hanger and put the hanger on a magnetic hook (these 22-pound hooks are small but STRONG) either near the air vent, or in front of my little 4" desk fan (or both).  Most things dry in a few hours, and definitely overnight, even in the humid Caribbean.  

I also use the freebie D+ bag for socks, undies, pajamas, and knit pants.  My t-shirts all have screenprinted stuff on them, so I wash those myself in the room, but if I had plain t-shirts or tank tops, I'd send those in the freebie bag of laundry, too.  

That’s a good process for doing laundry in your cabin. I wear less cotton now, because synthetic dries quicker. We will be in Iceland/Greenland on the cruise back, so we will need some warmer gear too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pcur said:

If you're off the ship for periods of time, and know where you're staying, google map for laundromats nearby.  I did this when we stayed in Paris for 3 nights before flying home after a transatlantic.  I found one about 2 blocks from our hotel.  Came in very handy.  You might want to do this for all your land stops.

Keep euro coins handy.  I also travel with these:

Dissolving laundry sheets for travel

I’ve considered this, but we will be in rentals (with washer/dryer) while on land between the other cruises. Our biggest concerns are the 4 consecutive weeks. 

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

It's only about $35 per bag, pretty much stuff it full, not really that expensive all things considered

Agreed, it’s a great deal. As D+, it’s my understanding we each get a free bag during the cruise. 

7 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

😊 Smiling...we are also on the 9/4 sailing. 

Sounds like a trip of epic proportions.

If the free bag is not enough...and before you start washing clothes in the sink...ask the L.A. or the G.S. manager if they'll give you extra free laundry bag...most will accommodate you.  You also have the $10 off/bag.  That said...

* Bring mostly "quick dry" clothes.

* A pair of good walking shoes.

* It could get hot...but be mindful that most churches won't allow bare shoulders or shorts.

* Be careful of pickpockets.

* Bring a folding umbrella...cover for sun and rain and doubles as a baton.

* Don't worry about formal wear.

Almost 43 years ago, I "eurailed" all over Europe...one backpack...for 5 months...and before I left, got the best advice from my college tennis coach, who said "Nobody cares what you are wearing."

Love that quote…I’m one who is never concerned what others think, about anything actually. Life is so much less stressful, as we don’t really have ANY control of what goes on in their minds. Cruising is about being comfortable for us, and our evening attire is extremely low key. Having fun researching those Baltic ports. Loved the Blue Lagoon in Iceland…oh geez…just realized I do need a bathing suit (minus the snorkel gear), but they do supply really nice robes 😉

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, joanne59 said:

Agreed, it’s a great deal. As D+, it’s my understanding we each get a free bag during the cruise. 

In addition to that, you ALSO get a $10 off coupon, so an extra bag is only $25.  

Your trip sounds amazeballs!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Iceland is not considered to be a "Baltic Port".

There I go…mixing up our cruises. We leave from Copenhagen twice, once for our Baltic cruise, and then again for our Arctic transatlantic cruise. 

59 minutes ago, brillohead said:

In addition to that, you ALSO get a $10 off coupon, so an extra bag is only $25.  

Your trip sounds amazeballs!!!

This trip is our ‘fully retired couple’ adventure. Having experienced transatlantic cruises in both directions one-way (flights involved), we always dreamed of staying overseas during the months between a ‘round-trip’ scenario. The other cruises we booked were so economical for European itineraries, we couldn’t help ourselves, and just booked them all. If the last 2 years have taught us one thing…life is too short to put off these epic experiences. There’s never a guarantee of tomorrow! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BazingAu said:

For everyone saying the boat only uses super hot commercial washers - I think people are forgetting there's an entire crew on board that wear clothes and need to be washed. Yes, the cruise ships have the huge industrial machines for sheets, towels, etc. But they also have actual clothing laundry services too. 

In response to OP's original question, we have that issue for regular vacations and I really don't feel like spending $20 to launder a pair of jeans at a hotel. We now use this for anytime our clothes need a freshen up: https://www.amazon.com/Tide-Antibacterial-Fabric-Spray-Count/dp/B08N2BS9VY It's not going to get dirt or food stains out, but if your clothes just need to be refreshed between wears, it's great! Hang, spray, let dry, and done.

I've watched several crew videos.  They have crew laundries for crew/staff to do their own laundry and they are regular sized machines.  I guarantee you they are doing guest laundry in large commercial machines.  They don't have time to do one load at a time for the guests.  Believe me, they do large loads of hot water washing and drying at one time.

Free bag for anything I don’t care about.  Underwear, socks, work out clothes.  Dry clean dresses, dress pants if needed.  I do send out dress shirts if needed.

I use a 10L dry bag for washing with washing sheets you can order from Amazon.  Dirty clothes in bag with soap.  Roll down the top.  Shake a bunch like an agitator.  Rinse twice.  Wring.  Roll in towels on the bathroom floor and hang to dry.  I use the hangers in the room but also take a few plastic folding ones also on Amazon.  Yep it’s a lot of work,  yep I get a bit wet.  But it works well for a trip that long.  I take about 2 weeks of clothing and then do laundry once hopefully.  I wouldn’t try jeans but shorts and thin pants, polos can be done that way.  Many things can be worn more then once if it’s not too hot.

12 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

Oh Dear me.

Visit the beautiful city of Paris, and what do you do...... Laundry 🙂

Could not make this up.

Well, after getting off a long cruise, and having 5 nights between London and Paris, we needed to do some laundry!!  

My son and I had a wonderful time post-cruise (my husband got bronchitis, and stayed in bed during the day).  Found several super little French restaurants with fabulous food for dinners.  Went to the Louvre with my son.  Went to Versailles with my son, too, and gave up with the 3-4 hour line.  Found an outside cafe and had an amazing lunch.

Went on an "old" pub crawl with my son in London.  We picked out 3 pubs that were at least 400 years old, and I mapped the Tube on my ipad.

Laundry was 2 hours out of that whole adventure.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, pcur said:

Well, after getting off a long cruise, and having 5 nights between London and Paris, we needed to do some laundry!!  

My son and I had a wonderful time post-cruise (my husband got bronchitis, and stayed in bed during the day).  Found several super little French restaurants with fabulous food for dinners.  Went to the Louvre with my son.  Went to Versailles with my son, too, and gave up with the 3-4 hour line.  Found an outside cafe and had an amazing lunch.

Went on an "old" pub crawl with my son in London.  We picked out 3 pubs that were at least 400 years old, and I mapped the Tube on my ipad.

Laundry was 2 hours out of that whole adventure.

We all know that having clean clothes on hand, no matter how short or long we are traveling, is necessary for an enjoyable vacation. Sounds like you incorporated that task very easily into your days in Paris. Thanks for your input! What continues to baffle me, is how folks that have absolutely nothing to add to a bulletin board thread, can pop on to make multiple ‘less than kind’ comments. I do, however, always appreciate when fellow travelers, like yourself, take time out of their busy day to contribute useful information when I ask a question.  Have a great day! 

Edited by joanne59
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, brillohead said:

This is on my bucket list as well!!!

Long time coming for us…it’s great to have the freedom now to plan these type of adventures. We can’t believe our retirement is finally a reality. 

• Like 1