Dining Hours and Other Newbie Questions

PSR

I did quite a few searches and could not find the dining room hours for the various dining venues, except for the specialty dining booking hours. I am mostly interested in the breakfast hours for the main dining and the venue wherever a more casual breakfast is served. I am a late riser, so usually have to rush to get to breakfast on most ships😊. Also would like to know about the GDR open dining procedure; if you go at anytime, is there sometimes a wait to get in? How do they let you know a table is ready? I also read within some other threads that you can eat by yourselves and not have to join others, unless that is your preference...is this how it works? We prefer to dine alone, unless we do meet some new friends on a cruise. Thanks for any info!

The times are listed  on the back page of the CURRENTS  newsletter 

Breakfast in GDR hours may vary depending on the port  but generally I think it is open 7:30 am to 9am

Terrace cafe  7:30 am ? to 9:30 am  or 10 am...seat yourself  ..

Waves 7 ? to 11am usually  ..order then seat yourself

GDR dinner 6:30 pm to 9pm   just show up you will be seated

2 tops can be scarce on some nights   just depends on your fellow ship mates

When you arrive  they will ask if you would like to share or not

They do their best to seat you as quickly as they can

• Thanks 1

Baristas has the only really good espresso machine on the ship, and it's open all day – but it's food offerings are limited.  I would arrange for some croissants to be delivered to my cabin [by my DW, but room service could do it] or get Eggs Benedict at the Terrace Cafe – and then take it up to Baristas to pair with perfect Lattes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Baristas has the only really good espresso machine on the ship, and it's open all day – but it's food offerings are limited.  I would arrange for some croissants to be delivered to my cabin [by my DW, but room service could do it] or get Eggs Benedict at the Terrace Cafe – and then take it up to Baristas to pair with perfect Lattes.

If you request a cappuccino at Terrace Cafe, they will bring it to your table…..

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

If you request a cappuccino at Terrace Cafe, they will bring it to your table…..

Yes, but they have the same lower-quality machines as in the Executive Lounge.  Only Baristas has a super-duper genuine Italian barista quality espresso machine.

• Thanks 2

Never a wait for breakfast.  Always room in GDR, and Terrace is a buffet and never a back up.  May be a very short wait for Waves.  GDR breakfast hours are disappointing short, like 8-9:30.  Terrace open earlier and goes to 10, Waves maybe to 11. 

• Thanks 1

Allow me to give the OP another perspective concerning breakfast. We are travelers, not cruisers.  Therefore, if the ship docks at 8:30, we are typically heading off the ship then to go on our land tour. We are typically near the door, or pre determined group meeting area,   5-10 minutes prior.

On days when the docking time is 8:30, the Terrace typically opens at 7:00 and the GDR at 8:00. Even with a 9:00 docking time, this makes the GDR not practical for breakfast on those days. So what occurs is a huge rush in the Terrace between 7:00-7:45. Someone showing up at 7:30 will often have trouble even finding a table. This is magnified when the Terrace veranda is closed or limited due to inclement weather. Even the buffet line can be crowded and slow moving. People backed up 5-6 deep at the short order grill, for example. I believe the issue is worst on R ships than O ships, but that’s my experience.

Conditions at Waves may or may not be much better depending upon the desirability of the port. Much like Jancruz, we are not impressed with the Barrista on the R ships, but the ones on the O ships are nice. Under these conditions , we typically opt for room service. We order for early delivery, pre 7:00, in order to beat the expected rush that will come a bit later.

On sea days, we love a leisurely breakfast in the GDR. The later opening time doesn’t matter.

The conditions explained above are those that typically occur on ships running 85+% capacity, not the 30-35% full ships being currently ran. 

• Like 4

Typically, we are always up early as have a planned excursion (either with ship or independent). Thus, our breakfast on these days is always room service and we particularly enjoy the smoked salmon omelette with a croissant or brioche. The bran muffins are also yummy. If a sea day, we head to the GDR and enjoy a relaxing breakfast (many choices) and always have no problem obtaining a table for two; at dinner in the GDR, we sometimes have to wait for a table for two but, usually no more than 5-10 mins. (Warning, GDR on day of embarkation can be busy and we will often try the Terrace if that is the case as everyone seems to show up at the same time.)

On 1/30/2022 at 8:15 AM, pinotlover said:

Allow me to give the OP another perspective concerning breakfast. We are travelers, not cruisers.  Therefore, if the ship docks at 8:30, we are typically heading off the ship then to go on our land tour. We are typically near the door, or pre determined group meeting area,   5-10 minutes prior.

On days when the docking time is 8:30, the Terrace typically opens at 7:00 and the GDR at 8:00. Even with a 9:00 docking time, this makes the GDR not practical for breakfast on those days. So what occurs is a huge rush in the Terrace between 7:00-7:45. Someone showing up at 7:30 will often have trouble even finding a table. This is magnified when the Terrace veranda is closed or limited due to inclement weather. Even the buffet line can be crowded and slow moving. People backed up 5-6 deep at the short order grill, for example. I believe the issue is worst on R ships than O ships, but that’s my experience.

Conditions at Waves may or may not be much better depending upon the desirability of the port. Much like Jancruz, we are not impressed with the Barrista on the R ships, but the ones on the O ships are nice. Under these conditions , we typically opt for room service. We order for early delivery, pre 7:00, in order to beat the expected rush that will come a bit later.

On sea days, we love a leisurely breakfast in the GDR. The later opening time doesn’t matter.

The conditions explained above are those that typically occur on ships running 85+% capacity, not the 30-35% full ships being currently ran. 

So very well put. And important to keep in mind if you TENDER. For you have to plan on when you want to tender and must get there at the appropriate time to get on the tender you want. When my wife I and were on Riviera 12/13-23/21 we were there to go ashore as early as we could. We had to tender for Harvest Caye/Belize and the next day in Belize City. So it was Room Service one morning (to test it out) but then mainly Waves right when it opened. We wanted to get on the first available tender. 

And, of course, also depends upon any excursion choices and when you have to meet them. Usually rather shortly after arrival. We did a lengthy Go With Gus Rio Dulce/Livingston excursion from Santo Tomas, Guatemala that met us at the bow of the ship on the pier not too long after embarkation. So eating a good breakfast early was critical.

I couldn't say enough good things about getting to Waves when it opens. We were usually some of the first few. But then we were only at 60% capacity (719 passengers), so there never really seemed like much of a line there.

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

So very well put. And important to keep in mind if you TENDER. For you have to plan on when you want to tender and must get there at the appropriate time to get on the tender you want. When my wife I and were on Riviera 12/13-23/21 we were there to go ashore as early as we could. We had to tender for Harvest Caye/Belize and the next day in Belize City. So it was Room Service one morning (to test it out) but then mainly Waves right when it opened. We wanted to get on the first available tender. 

And, of course, also depends upon any excursion choices and when you have to meet them. Usually rather shortly after arrival. We did a lengthy Go With Gus Rio Dulce/Livingston excursion from Santo Tomas, Guatemala that met us at the bow of the ship on the pier not too long after embarkation. So eating a good breakfast early was critical.

I couldn't say enough good things about getting to Waves when it opens. We were usually some of the first few. But then we were only at 60% capacity (719 passengers), so there never really seemed like much of a line there.

Just curious.  What is it that you liked about the Waves breakfast over the Terrance Cafe breakfast?

We enjoyed Waves everyday for lunch, but really enjoyed the outside Terrance Cafe with the variety for breakfast.  We even enjoyed several casual dinners outside at the Terrance Cafe.

Just now, jagoffee said:

Just curious.  What is it that you liked about the Waves breakfast over the Terrance Cafe breakfast?

We enjoyed Waves everyday for lunch, but really enjoyed the outside Terrance Cafe with the variety for breakfast.  We even enjoyed several casual dinners outside at the Terrance Cafe.

We never did go to the GDR to eat. Was our muster area so I saw it once and paid no attention to it ever again. Just the 4 specialty restaurants and the TC every evening. Love the TC outside for dinner! We did excursions and left the ship as early as we could at every stop. I just enjoyed going up to Waves very early to get an omelette, Muselix with fresh fruit, yogurt, and my daily Sun Salutation smoothie with black coffee. Sat as far forward starboard as I could to enjoy the view. Became our morning ritual. Never did breakfast anywhere else other than room service one morning.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I just enjoyed going up to Waves very early to get an omelette, Muselix with fresh fruit, yogurt, and my daily Sun Salutation smoothie with black coffee.

So, Waves does have some cooked items for breakfast? I am unable to find a menu for that particular dining spot for breakfast online, so I just assumed they just had cold food in the AM.

3 minutes ago, PSR said:

So, Waves does have some cooked items for breakfast? I am unable to find a menu for that particular dining spot for breakfast online, so I just assumed they just had cold food in the AM.

I always had an omelette with ham, cheese, onions, peppers, olives, and tomatoes. Sometimes I had scrambled eggs, too. And once or twice I had bacon or sausage. So yes, there is some hot food. BUT I fell in love with the Muselix and added lots of fresh fruit (esp. kiwi, mango, and pineapple). I couldn't believe how delicious the Muselix was for breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PSR said:

They have cooked to order eggs, pancakes etc...plus cold food until 11 am

We usually go there if we are not rushing ashore  because I usually am too late for the GDR  😉

• Thanks 1

relax.  Meal times may change depending upon port and excursion times.  There is always food available. You will not be hungry.  With the exception of the specialty restaurants which need a reservation, we just relax in our cabin.  Go to meals when we want.  We usually ask for a table for 2. Never had a problem.  When the ship is full, the Terrace Buffet may be crowded. If so, Waves is a good choice.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure we won't run out of food on a cruise!! I like details about breakfast because on a cruise, I like to have a big breakfast, then something light around 2-3pm, then a big dinner with dessert! We haven't had big lunches since we cruised on the old Star Princess in the 1990's...we had a full bottle of wine for lunch then, too! Those were the "good old days"!😲

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

I was liking what I saw of the room service options for breakfast, but after reading this post, I think we will be planning to use it on our June 2022 Riviera cruise.  Very port intensive with some long days.  It sounds like an excellent option!