Danube water levels 2022 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Hi, We are sailing Sept. 22 (2 weeks!) with Scenic Amber from Nuremberg to Budapest. My understanding from these posts is that Regensberg to Passau is impassable at this time. Does anyone know what Scenic has been doing with this schedule? Do you stay on one boat in Nuremberg and then transfer to another in Passau or is it all land-based hotels and buses until Passau or is Nuremberg to Passau portion cancelled? I haven't found anyone posting about this and nothing yet from Scenic, of course. I looked at Cruise Mapper and the Scenic Amber seems to be sitting at Passau. Thanks!

• Like 1

Good question.  We are on Scenic Crystal Sept. 19 from Nuremberg to Budapest.  I am going to assume at this point that we will not be starting in Nuremberg - it seems to be a given at this point.  And someone posted that their Viking cruise, going north, was unable to make it from Regensberg to Passau.  So now I'm thinking we won't get on a ship until Regensberg unless there is more rain.  Right now, according to Cruisemapper.com, the Amber is stuck in Passau.

Friends of ours who did this trip with Scenic 5 years ago were bussed to Passau to pick up the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 7:56 PM, Bernerhugs said:

My understanding from these posts is that Regensberg to Passau is impassable at this time.

I would more say that Straubing to Vilshofen is impassable for the big majority of river cruise ships at this time. But that is not too much of a difference in distance so does not change much the problem of not getting through the shallow stretch of river.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, judythg said:

I am going to assume at this point that we will not be starting in Nuremberg - it seems to be a given at this point. 

That is probably the best attitude to go with as the river is just very low and it is autumn so prone to being low anyway. Not much hope of seeing much improved levels beyond a short wave.

But for now a look at Pfelling gauge shows the level to be 266cm. That is an improvement compared to this morning and an improvement compared to yesterday so more than just fluctuation which we expect during the day. With rain in the forecast and so much of it that it is likely to actually bring rain of note I am optimistic of there being the chance for large river cruise ships to sail past Pfelling again at the weekend. The forecast for Pfelling suggests 290cm may be reached during tomorrow morning.

notamermaid

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, SctiMom said:
5 hours ago, Bernerhugs said:

Hi, We are sailing Sept. 22 (2 weeks!) with Scenic Amber from Nuremberg to Budapest. My understanding from these posts is that Regensberg to Passau is impassable at this time. Does anyone know what Scenic has been doing with this schedule? Do you stay on one boat in Nuremberg and then transfer to another in Passau or is it all land-based hotels and buses until Passau or is Nuremberg to Passau portion cancelled? I haven't found anyone posting about this and nothing yet from Scenic, of course. I looked at Cruise Mapper and the Scenic Amber seems to be sitting at Passau. Thanks!

Expand  

I believe that we are on this same cruise. Are you sailing on the Scenic Amber?

I am also interested in the answer to this.

2 hours ago, SctiMom said:

I believe that we are on this same cruise. Are you sailing on the Scenic Amber?

I am also interested in the answer to this.

Yes, we are on the Scenic Amber - we fly out this Sunday to tour other parts first! I think from all I have heard and read today and the answer above from @judythg is that we will be unable to start from Nuremberg and will likely start the cruise at Passau, maybe Regensberg. Unfortunately, we have accommodation booked in Nuremberg for the 21st and I guess we will have to make our own way to Passau. I also think we will only hear at the last minute and we will be on the road, but checking our email for updates. Fun!

1 hour ago, Bernerhugs said:

Yes, we are on the Scenic Amber - we fly out this Sunday to tour other parts first! I think from all I have heard and read today and the answer above from @judythg is that we will be unable to start from Nuremberg and will likely start the cruise at Passau, maybe Regensberg. Unfortunately, we have accommodation booked in Nuremberg for the 21st and I guess we will have to make our own way to Passau. I also think we will only hear at the last minute and we will be on the road, but checking our email for updates. Fun!

Nuremberg isn't on the Danube, so you were never boarding the ship there.  If you were beginning your Scenic program there, you may still meet them there – but instead of busing you to Regensburg, they will bus you to wherever the ship is [Vilshofen or Passau?].

@Bernerhugs and @SctiMom it´s too early to tell you right now whether your cruise will be impacted or not. We do have a lot of rain in the forecast for the next few days. That part of the Danube river near Straubing / Bogen can be passable later this month. It all depends on the weather and rainfall during the next days.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Nuremberg isn't on the Danube, so you were never boarding the ship there.  If you were beginning your Scenic program there, you may still meet them there – but instead of busing you to Regensburg, they will bus you to wherever the ship is [Vilshofen or Passau?].

Our itinerary specifically says we are to be picked up at our hotel in Prague and transferred to the Nuremberg Pier.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

It all depends on the weather and rainfall during the next days.

Indeed.

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

The forecast for Pfelling suggests 290cm may be reached during tomorrow morning.

I guess that was a bit ambitious and I admit I did not fully trust the forecast. Still, it got close. The level is now at 289cm. The fast rise overnight has slowed so that we can assume we will see a few centimetres added today, but more than that I would call guesswork at this point.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, judythg said:

Our itinerary specifically says we are to be picked up at our hotel in Prague and transferred to the Nuremberg Pier.  

Nuremberg is on the Canal not on the Danube river. That what´s Host Jazzbeau wanted to say. So you were never supposed to board on the Danube river.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

Nuremberg is on the Canal not on the Danube river. That what´s Host Jazzbeau wanted to say. So you were never supposed to board on the Danube river.

steamboats

That makes sense.  Just want to get on the river boat and eventually get to the Danube 🙂

• Like 1

Wishing the Scenic Amber cruisers well.  Please post your experience as time allows. We were on Amber Sept 29 Budapest to Nuremberg. We hopefully made a good choice by switching to April 2023. We really didn't want to spend the money this river cruise costs for even a partial bus tour.

A final update.

Posting this on Friday night in Prague.

We had a steady light rain in Passau and Regensburg on Thursday.

When we were doing our final disembarking THIS morning the captain said he thought there had been just enough rain to allow them to get to Regensburg to start their next cruise. The had only needed about 10cm more river to have made it.

It really is touch and go in that part of the Danube right now.

I can also report that it POURED rain in Prague for about 30 minutes this afternoon so maybe some of that will run down to the Danube.

Good luck and happy cruising!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Thank for you giving me the benefit of the doubt – but I was wrong.  

Watching this closely...   We are scheduled to board the Scenic Opal in Giurgiu Romania on Sept 25th...  But we need the boat to get down there!!

According to Cruise Mapper, there are few boats below Budapest.  Now, I do realize this is a less travelled itinerary - but it is a concern how few there are actually there.  I completely understand the concept of a ship swap - or docking the boat and doing bus tours... but we have to have a ship to board to be able to do either of those things!!

Am really hoping that there is enough rain to get the Opal down below Nuremburg/Regensburg.  Currently - according to Cruise Mapper - it is on it's way to Amsterdam - and yet it is supposed to be on it's way to Budapest 😕  Really hope the water levels improve.  This is the 3rd time we have had this trip booked.

Fran

AnotherWanderer, thank you for your continued posts from your cruise. Hope you have a splendid time in Prague.

14 hours ago, AnotherWanderer said:

I can also report that it POURED rain in Prague for about 30 minutes this afternoon so maybe some of that will run down to the Danube.

All rain coming down around Prague unfortunately goes to the Elbe river basin, but the Elbe needs some water for the autumn river cruisers so I am happy to give that other Czech/German river some rain. Much of the band of clouds gave the Danube water before it drifted towards Prague, so a nice distribution happened I think. Today there is more rain over Germany so while Pfelling gauge went down to now 287cm after a brief rise over 290cm river cruise ships are still in a much better position than they were three days ago. Really touch and go but I am slightly optimistic that the gauge will show 290cm and a bit more again:

image.png.c247b0a138e29493399bbdbb6e903f80.png

Much of the yellow and orange/red below Munich will not help the shallows stretch as that is all water for the Isar but what is closer to Nürnberg, Konstanz does feed the Danube via the river itself and the upper tributaries. And hopefully the authorities can let a bit more water through the Canal locks and dams, too.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, franski said:

Watching this closely...   We are scheduled to board the Scenic Opal in Giurgiu Romania on Sept 25th...  But we need the boat to get down there!!

According to Cruise Mapper, there are few boats below Budapest. 

Fran, I'm right there with you, we're a week+ after you, boarding Oct 6.  Our ship (Duchess) was stuck in Passau, where it could have made it way back to Romania, but now it's moved up towards Nürnberg.  Lifting a stein (this time of day a coffee cup) to a wet Oktoberfest season 🙂 

I’m currently  on the Emerald Star docked in Passau, headed to Budapest. We were originally scheduled on the Dawn but it got stuck due to low water, so they had to swap ships. In the briefing, the director said that after a very difficult month of low water, they anticipate a much smoother September as there has been much needed rain in the region.  

It rained much of yesterday and this morning but is still quite mild for touring. No problem as long as you pack a long waterproof jacket and shoes.  The sun is now shining and it’s a beautiful day on the Danube. 

Wishing everyone smooth sailing ahead. 

53F986A2-AF12-45BD-B184-315929C0A17B.jpeg

• Like 6

The river levels are certainly looking better and promising. Not ideal in Germany but better. Pfelling gauge is now at 297cm and still rising so that is good.

In Budapest the level is low again but not as low as in August. The level there will hopefully rise soon, I am not sure if a higher volume of water is coming from Austria already, i.e. how much it has rained in Austria, or if they need to wait for the wave coming from Germany:

image.png.d23260ec2adf1854262ff0e0220300a8.png

notamermaid

• Like 1

Pfelling gauge is at 296cm. That means while the Rhine is out of the "danger zone" for river cruise ships, the Danube in Germany is still too low to sit back and relax. But let's be glad it is over 290cm and keep watching.

Till tomorrow.

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1