Princess Experience for kids/Teen and ShoreEx (Med)

JillK

Hi everyone! 

My husband and I are looking at booking a once-in-a-lifetime dream vacation of 14 nights in the Med this summer for our family (4 kids: 10, 12, 16 & 17). 

Here in Ontario, Canada we have just come out of yet another round of tight COVID restrictions and we just feel that we need an opportunity to live again. With our eldest graduating high school in June, we're thinking let's just go big and hope that things have smoothed out by July (including loosening Government of Canada travel restrictions currently in place making it expensive and stressful to travel).

Hubby and I have two Princess cruises under our belt but those were done on our own as a couple and over ten years ago (2008).

I would love to have any feedback on the Princess experience for teens/kids... the kids have all cruised previously with NCL and Celebrity but all before they hit the teenage years.

We have never been to the Med and with so many of us, although I don't like the price point, my inclination is to book excursions through Princess. So two things: 1/ do they ever have "sales" in the cruise planner the way Royal does or is the price the price and 2/  if anyone would like to share their experiences in the region with ship excursions, that would be wonderful! 

Thank you so much for all who reply!

Just a tangential suggestion to pursue:  with a party of 6 you might check out private guides for excursions.  We do that when we travel with my siblings and spouses.  At times we have paid less than the equivalent Princess excursions and the quality is higher (usually much higher).  You can also tailor your excursions to specific interests and get the kids involved with the planning.  Check the cruise critic ports of call board for recommendations and your roll call.

• Like 1

I suggest you get a hard copy of the latest edition of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  Read up on your ports, he will tell you what there is to do in the port and how much you can do in the time available.  On his website there are free audio tours for some sites, and basic maps you can print out.  This is all DIY.  Occasionally he will tell you it is best to do a ship's tour.  Have your kids read it to help decide what you want to see.  Keep in mind that beach days are not plentiful in Europe, your kids should be able to handle museums, ruins, churches.  There won't be people on the pier trying to sell you tours, nor shops (t-shirts and jewelry) for tourists.  EM

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JillK said:

Hi everyone! 

My husband and I are looking at booking a once-in-a-lifetime dream vacation of 14 nights in the Med this summer for our family (4 kids: 10, 12, 16 & 17). 

Here in Ontario, Canada we have just come out of yet another round of tight COVID restrictions and we just feel that we need an opportunity to live again. With our eldest graduating high school in June, we're thinking let's just go big and hope that things have smoothed out by July (including loosening Government of Canada travel restrictions currently in place making it expensive and stressful to travel).

Hubby and I have two Princess cruises under our belt but those were done on our own as a couple and over ten years ago (2008).

I would love to have any feedback on the Princess experience for teens/kids... the kids have all cruised previously with NCL and Celebrity but all before they hit the teenage years.

We have never been to the Med and with so many of us, although I don't like the price point, my inclination is to book excursions through Princess. So two things: 1/ do they ever have "sales" in the cruise planner the way Royal does or is the price the price and 2/  if anyone would like to share their experiences in the region with ship excursions, that would be wonderful! 

Thank you so much for all who reply!

You did not day what countries you’re visiting and it depends if you’re able to go on independent excursions at that time?

However, we loved Barcelona day tours, they did small group tours and private tours several times and they were fabulous!  Our family last time was a party of 6 and had a blast!  You can plan and design what you would like to do.

You can always book the ship tour and cancel or the independent tour, according to what is going on in Europe.  Remember some of the EU is requiring booster shots to visit.  

• Like 1

There is a true wealth of information on the Mediterranean forum (Ports of Call, to Europe, to Mediterranean). And as @Essiesmom suggested, get Rick Steves book. That is exactly what we did and it was so very helpful!

And join your Roll Call, because that will also have tour information and even with a group of your size, you may be able to join up and save money, have a smaller group, and get some ideas. We were able to join other ship mates on shore excursions which rewarded us with much smaller groups and cost less money. Typically, our guides were fantastic!

PLEASE, look into tours not through Princess, however, sometimes it may be appropriate.

The Mediterranean forum will also offer threads which pertain to your selected ports.

Also, I have read many compliments about the Kids and Teen programs. Princess will keep them busy, for example on sea days. Often, Mediterranean itineraries are port intensive.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes we have a lot of leg work to do to prepare and I really appreciate all the suggestions on where to look. 

I did not list specific POC because we are still choosing which two 7-week itineraries we are going to do B2B (booked as a 14 night) but the usual suspects are involved: Livorno, Rome, Athens, Barcelona, Naples, Mykonos, Ephesus, Istanbul, Genoa, Marseilles, Gibraltor, Kotor, Santorini, Messina... 

The kids do understand that this is port intensive and involves a more cultural experience than they have had in their previous Caribbean cruises. 

4 hours ago, JillK said:

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes we have a lot of leg work to do to prepare and I really appreciate all the suggestions on where to look. 

I did not list specific POC because we are still choosing which two 7-week itineraries we are going to do B2B (booked as a 14 night) but the usual suspects are involved: Livorno, Rome, Athens, Barcelona, Naples, Mykonos, Ephesus, Istanbul, Genoa, Marseilles, Gibraltor, Kotor, Santorini, Messina... 

The kids do understand that this is port intensive and involves a more cultural experience than they have had in their previous Caribbean cruises. 

Depending on your itinerary, if at all possible, spend at least 3 nights in Rome- pre or post cruise. We had never been to Europe and we stayed in Rome 3 nights pre cruise and LOVED it!

• Like 1

Had done this many times in Med with teens- Princess, Royal, Celebrity, other lines. 
did not do ship excursions. Got off & took taxi tours, HOHO buses, rented cars,  

because of uncertainty & requirements by different EU countries I’d leave it to next year 2023. 
heard if test positive on-board 

might be quarantined on land— depends on cruise line & country. 
also some countries are requiring locator form & Covid test to go ashore. 

always changing. 
Canada still requires PCR test to return. Could change any time  

Ancient Greece,, Pompei , Giza etc so interesting to our teens back then 

I think the kids will enjoy the cruise, so much for them to learn in the different Med. Ports. Just try and keep it interesting.  Even I got tired of ruins by the end!  Check out the roll call for your Cruise and see if you can find another family or two with kids to book private tours with. We did all private tours on our first Med. Cruise and that was also our first cruise. Most Med. Cruises are port intensive and don't have a lot of "on ship" time.