Hotel Needed in Miami

Cruisedreamer1

57 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

We need to make a hotel reservation for a medium price hotel for March 7th. We will need a hotel shuttle included.

Though what is "medium price" and how close to the Port of Miami/Terminal J do you want to be? When wife & I went on Riviera on 12/13/21 we stayed in...Boynton Beach the night before (HI Express). For us that was "medium priced".

We use the Hampton Inn Brickell  nice breakfast included

A shuttle is extra  you can reserve the night before   or just  take UBER or a taxi for under $20

We take the people mover (free) over to Bayside for  dinner/shopping etc.

We stopped staying at Hampton Inns when we discovered the Hilton Garden Inn.  Only a little more, and the included breakfast is so much better –live chef to make omelets, rather than steam table "are those eggs?"  Several good choices for Miami cruises:  Airport West, Brickell, and South Beach.

59 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though what is "medium price" and how close to the Port of Miami/Terminal J do you want to be? When wife & I went on Riviera on 12/13/21 we stayed in...Boynton Beach the night before (HI Express). For us that was "medium priced".

Boynton a pretty good ride to Miami. I would stay a lot closer.  

Have you looked at the Miami Ports of Call section here? You could probably find some good information there. You didn't mention exactly what you are looking for in a shuttle, but for a Miami cruise, due to the distance from airport to cruise port you probably won't find a property that has a free one for both. It's going to probably one or the other, with an airport shuttle being more common. 

For most cruises leaving from Miami,  we only come in the day before, and really aren't that interested in doing much in Miami. We usually stay at a property that has an airport shuttle, then uber to the port the next day. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:
1 hour ago, ORV said:

For most cruises leaving from Miami,  we only come in the day before, and really aren't that interested in doing much in Miami. We usually stay at a property that has an airport shuttle, then uber to the port the next day. 

Edited 1 hour ago by ORV

We are staying at Wyndham Garden Miami Springs. 4909 36th.  3 miles from Airport.  Free airport shutttle.  9 miles to port.   We are taking Uber.  No free bfast but McDonald’s across street which works for us.  And Old Tom’s Sport Bar 1 block.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

We need to make a hotel reservation for a medium price hotel for March 7th. We will need a hotel shuttle included. Could my fellow Cruisecritic mates offer some suggestions? Thanks!

Stay where many other O cruisers stay: Intercontinental Miami- 5 minutes from the port and taxi is less than $10

I did not care for the IC   too many people trying to get an elevator in the morning  pricey for breakfast if you eat in the hotel & let's not forget the "resort fee"  maybe better on the upper floors  but more $$

YMMV

• Like 2

Just now, CintiPam said:

When did the Intercontinental Miami become a medium price hotel? 😉

We just stayed there for 2 nights in early January. Queen room with harbor view was under $200 + tax for Senior rate and we got free access to The Ambassador Lounge.
It all depends on when you stay. Here in SF the Intercontinental can range from under $200 to more than $400 depending g on holidays, conventions, etc. Same goes for Miami and every worldwide major city Intercontinental.

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I did not care for the IC   too many people trying to get an elevator in the morning  pricey for breakfast if you eat in the hotel & let's not forget the "resort fee"  maybe better on the upper floors  but more $$

YMMV

We had no “resort fee” last month. 
And we got the Ambassador lounge (included continental breakfast, hors d’ouevres and booze in the late afternoon) just for asking nicely for a free upgrade. FWIW, It’s amazing what you can get from hotel clerks with the right attitude and kind words.

I will admit that the many unmasked guests did not make me happy. So we just rode the service elevators with the masked employees and they were happy that we always wore our masks.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We had no “resort fee” last month. 
And we got the Ambassador lounge (included continental breakfast, hors d’ouevres and booze in the late afternoon) just for asking nicely for a free upgrade. FWIW, It’s amazing what you can get from hotel clerks with the right attitude and kind words.

I have never  well rarely been rude to hotel staff

so why am I not getting the free upgrades 😉

Maybe because of the current covid situation they are  willing to  do more to get your business  & then if you have the right connections /handshake you can get more perks

JMO

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I have never  well rarely been rude to hotel staff

so why am I not getting the free upgrades 😉

Maybe because of the current covid situation they are  willing to  do more to get your business  & then if you have the right connections /handshake you can get more perks

JMO

You’re in the ball park... (even without connections). Just need to hone your art?

Since our restarting travel began, I’ve made it a point to tell every hospitality worker we encounter how glad we are that they are back to work and how much we hope that they can stay safe when encountering folks who tend to be non-compliant with Covid restrictions.

If we’ve stayed at a property previously (and/or are a member of their FF program), we add that it’s so nice to be back after such a long hiatus. And, if we’ve got any funny anecdote regarding their hotel (or even their hotel chain), I’ll always try to work it in to the check-in time.

Admittedly, this raconteur approach drives my spouse a bit nuts. But, I always remind her that the first phrase a small child learned growing up in Brooklyn was “never pay retail.” So, over the years of practicing this mantra, getting what you need becomes less daunting and good travel things often comes to fruition.

From airline reservations folks to hotel clerks to car service drivers to restaurant wait staff to whoever... it doesn’t take a lot to clearly show appreciation for their efforts and folks who do that (genuinely) will often get the best treatment (often including perks not requested). Bottom line: praise is thin in hospitality - now more than ever. So, a little goes a long way. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’re in the ball park... (even without connections). Just need to hone your art?

Since our restarting travel began, I’ve made it a point to tell every hospitality worker we encounter how glad we are that they are back to work and how much we hope that they can stay safe when encountering folks who tend to be non-compliant with Covid restrictions.

If we’ve stayed at a property previously (and/or are a member of their FF program), we add that it’s so nice to be back after such a long hiatus. And, if we’ve got any funny anecdote regarding their hotel (or even their hotel chain), I’ll always try to work it in to the check-in time.

Admittedly, this raconteur approach drives my spouse a bit nuts. But, I always remind her that the first phrase a small child learned growing up in Brooklyn was “never pay retail.” So, over the years of practicing this mantra, getting what you need becomes less daunting and good travel things often comes to fruition.

From airline reservations folks to hotel clerks to car service drivers to restaurant wait staff to whoever... it doesn’t take a lot to clearly show appreciation for their efforts and folks who do that (genuinely) will often get the best treatment (often including perks not requested). Bottom line: praise is thin in hospitality - now more than ever. So, a little goes a long way. 

+  1

8 hours ago, RJB said:

+  1

The Fairfield and Courtyard hotels at MIA    both offer free  airport pickup and  b fast in the morning.    Then it is a quick 20 min  cab $35 to the ship !!!       I have stayed down towh and airport..    My take is downtown is a mess and, well less than safe outside the hotel...    If you stay at the airport you save a $35 cab to the hotel   and then another $$$ to the ship..   not to mention time..        Your coming for the ship... not the town which is awash with construction and  "interesting  urban campers"........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

The Fairfield and Courtyard hotels at MIA    both offer free  airport pickup and  b fast in the morning.    Then it is a quick 20 min  cab $35 to the ship !!!       I have stayed down towh and airport..    My take is downtown is a mess and, well less than safe outside the hotel...    If you stay at the airport you save a $35 cab to the hotel   and then another $$$ to the ship..   not to mention time..        Your coming for the ship... not the town which is awash with construction and  "interesting  urban campers"........

Pretty much agree Dan, my usual MO in Miami. Only thing I'd add is that Courtyard does not have a free breakfast, but Bonvoy members do get a food credit. I'd have to look it up but I think it's around $10 for up to 2. Unfortunately I've read on the Marriott member FB page that the properties with a free breakfast are downgrading the choices. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Pretty much agree Dan, my usual MO in Miami. Only thing I'd add is that Courtyard does not have a free breakfast, but Bonvoy members do get a food credit. I'd have to look it up but I think it's around $10 for up to 2. Unfortunately I've read on the Marriott member FB page that the properties with a free breakfast are downgrading the choices. 

I do recall that Courtyard had a restaurant with more than a bistro menu.... pretty  darngood buffet  !!!!  and a great bar   Great cuban san and      rates about 160     wit sr discount  ( over 60

It was  far better choice than Fairfield which was...crowded + you can walk over to the full service Marriott 150 feet and which shares the same pool !!!)

I am life/plat  and  never get shorted meal vouchers 

Edited by Hawaiidan

18 hours ago, ORV said:

There is variation among Courtyards, but the baseline is supposed to be that Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador levels get US$10 food and/or beverage credit. That is also supposed to be per person, with a maximum of two persons. If you are Gold, Silver, or a general member of the Bonvoy program (do NOT get me started on that name!), there is no credit.

As noted, though, there is variation among hotels. I have seen one Courtyard comp breakfast for Gold and higher members, but that was a while ago.

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

There is variation among Courtyards, but the baseline is supposed to be that Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador levels get US$10 food and/or beverage credit. That is also supposed to be per person, with a maximum of two persons. If you are Gold, Silver, or a general member of the Bonvoy program (do NOT get me started on that name!), there is no credit.

As noted, though, there is variation among hotels. I have seen one Courtyard comp breakfast for Gold and higher members, but that was a while ago.

The MIA courtyard is an exceptional one.   Maybe because it is attached to the Full Service Marriott.     Its one of  of a few   Page Az being another, that has still has a full bar and restaurant .       Since each property is a franchise ,  their management can up grade service and benefit in many instances     This is one.     

I am in a rut however,  having traveled world wide for 40 yr  I settled on the Marriott as the gold standard for me.  Now that they bought Westin and Sheraton and Ritz   that family  has  even more to offer...     I, now, with rare exceptions stay at any other brand hotel.      Building a loyalty has been very rewarding...  It can be for anyone who focuses  on building one.     Just like O.      Payback can be very pleasing.  Gotta start somewhere some time.

Edited by Hawaiidan

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

The MIA courtyard is an exceptional one.   Maybe because it is attached to the Full Service Marriott.     Its one of  of a few   Page Az being another, that has still has a full bar and restaurant .       Since each property is a franchise ,  their management can up grade service and benefit in many instances     This is one.     

I am in a rut however,  having traveled world wide for 40 yr  I settled on the Marriott as the gold standard for me.  Now that they bought Westin and Sheraton and Ritz   that family  has  even more to offer...     I, now, with rare exceptions stay at any other brand hotel.      Building a loyalty has been very rewarding...  It can be for anyone who focuses  on building one.     Just like O.      Payback can be very pleasing.  Gotta start somewhere some time.

I've stayed at one of the properties in the complex you're talking about. I don't suppose Plats can go to the Marriott lounge if staying at one of the others? 

7 minutes ago, Harters said:

On  a related issue - does O have a preferred hotel at Miami that it uses for travellers, who have flown transatlantic on their arranged flights, for the night before embarcation?

If you are using their hotel package   they use Four Seasons Miami  @ $499 pp

You are probably better off to book your own hotel/transfers

• Like 1