Hotel Needed in Miami

Cruisedreamer1

50 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've stayed at one of the properties in the complex you're talking about. I don't suppose Plats can go to the Marriott lounge if staying at one of the others? 

You get a coded key now for the M club as they call it.    But you never know.   I think the full  service is only a few $$ more.      Depends on your focus.     Me ?     well I fly in the evening. after club hours and then next morning  grab a simple bite and head to the ship.   Not really enough time to enjoy a suite or club.      All depends on what  your doing.

images (8).jpg

50 minutes ago, Harters said:

On  a related issue - does O have a preferred hotel at Miami that it uses for travellers, who have flown transatlantic on their arranged flights, for the night before embarcation?

after the flight....I'd suggest  staying at the airport hotels   You will be jet lagged and tired   and getting from baggage to the hotel in 10 min  and a nice comfy bed is the ticket..   

NW england?    Lancaste?r Preston?   Great area

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

There is variation among Courtyards, but the baseline is supposed to be that Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador levels get US$10 food and/or beverage credit. That is also supposed to be per person, with a maximum of two persons. If you are Gold, Silver, or a general member of the Bonvoy program (do NOT get me started on that name!), there is no credit.

As noted, though, there is variation among hotels. I have seen one Courtyard comp breakfast for Gold and higher members, but that was a while ago.

This shows why advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  Platinum members have a distorted view of the amenities at Marriott properties, and most of us don't have the option of becoming Platinum members even with 100% loyalty.  Gold members get bupkis?  Hilton Gold members are treated like ... gold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

The MIA courtyard is an exceptional one.   Maybe because it is attached to the Full Service Marriott.     Its one of  of a few   Page Az being another, that has still has a full bar and restaurant .       Since each property is a franchise ,  their management can up grade service and benefit in many instances     This is one.     

I am in a rut however,  having traveled world wide for 40 yr  I settled on the Marriott as the gold standard for me.  Now that they bought Westin and Sheraton and Ritz   that family  has  even more to offer...     I, now, with rare exceptions stay at any other brand hotel.      Building a loyalty has been very rewarding...  It can be for anyone who focuses  on building one.     Just like O.      Payback can be very pleasing.  Gotta start somewhere some time.

Though we find ourselves still flexible, we agree that the Marriott family of properties makes it our “go to” embarkation city preference and our FF points with them do add up. However, Intercontinental is unbeatable for a quality stay in many ports - most of all Miami. So we do their FF program (including Kimpton, Holiday Inn where necessary) too.

From working years, we still have points banks with Hyatt and Hilton as well and they too have good properties that check all the boxes in certain locations (e.g., Hilton Anaheim for Disneyland, Grand Hyatt Poipu on Kauai et al.).

But, at least, getting it down to four major brands is better than nothing - especially now that they are incorporating more affiliated boutique properties. 

That said, there’s still the occasional outlier that is a stand alone or part of some other hotel family and can’t be dismissed. For example, our “go to” in Cape Town is the Table Bay Hotel on the waterfront - as close as you can get to the ship with great eating/shopping footsteps away. 

18 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This shows why advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  Platinum members have a distorted view of the amenities at Marriott properties, and most of us don't have the option of becoming Platinum members even with 100% loyalty.  Gold members get bupkis?  Hilton Gold members are treated like ... gold.

I'm Platinum with Marriott, and don't really stay that much. Personal and business card gives us 30 nights a year. I did a promotion where I got 13 bonus nights last year. Only needed to stay 7 nights to hit Platinum. Right now I'm signed up for a promotion that gives double nights through May. We rarely pay for a room. I also have a Hilton card, when covid hit I downgraded to the one that has no annual fee, but Gold status is extended through March of 23. Our Marriott level for 21 was extended through 2/23. I keep an eye out for all the promos and try to take advantage of them. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Hilton Gold is the second-highest tier (silver, gold, diamond) in their program, which is also what Marriott Platinum is (silver, gold, platinum, titanium). Technically, one should make the comparison based on those levels. However, Hilton Diamond can be reached with fewer nights per year than Marriott Titanium, more comparable to their Platinum level.

Also worth noting that Hilton currently only offers food/beverage credits at US hotels. This replaces the former breakfast benefit.

2 hours ago, Harters said:

On  a related issue - does O have a preferred hotel at Miami that it uses for travellers, who have flown transatlantic on their arranged flights, for the night before embarcation?

Just  a thought  

Do the UK pax have a deal from O or their TA where the hotel is included if you do not pay the deviation fee to fly in early ??

7 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm Platinum with Marriott, and don't really stay that much. Personal and business card gives us 30 nights a year. I did a promotion where I got 13 bonus nights last year. Only needed to stay 7 nights to hit Platinum. Right now I'm signed up for a promotion that gives double nights through May. We rarely pay for a room. I also have a Hilton card, when covid hit I downgraded to the one that has no annual fee, but Gold status is extended through March of 23. Our Marriott level for 21 was extended through 2/23. I keep an eye out for all the promos and try to take advantage of them. 

Got lifetime Plat ( was Titanium ) status after  staying over some 1000+ marriott nights some where some how...  What clenched the deal was for my honeymoon  Bill Marriott  sent me a note which gave us a week in London and Paris in a suite as  a wedding  present........  I though that a class act...   another reason I am a Marriott   lifer.     

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Just  a thought  

Do the UK pax have a deal from O or their TA where the hotel is included if you do not pay the deviation fee to fly in early ??

Mandatory night before stay which you are charged for. This is why I arrange all my own flights and hotel now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do the UK pax have a deal from O or their TA where the hotel is included

The whole deal with O includes for the night before stay, as posted by ToxM, and related transfers. We're fine with that and was just curious about which hotel.

As Hawaiiden notes, we'll be wrecked and just want to grab something to eat and go to bed - even though it's only late afternoon local time. Thanks to LHT28 for the info about the Four Seasons.

(Hawaiiden - North Cheshire, just south of Manchester)

My only gripe is at the UK end. The O package will start with the flight from London. It could have started from our home airport (Manchester) but only if it was on the same day as the transatlantic flight and we were going through the London airport as transit passengers. Timings make that too close for comfort, so we'll fly MAN/LHR the previous day and stay overnight near LHR, at our expense. It's not an issue.

Apologies in advance. This cruise is not till next year so I'm bound to ask the question again, nearer the time,  forgetting that I've already raised it. :classic_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

The whole deal with O includes for the night before stay, as posted by ToxM, and related transfers. We're fine with that and was just curious about which hotel.

Can you do Cruise only  fare?

It may work out  better if you book your own air/hotel & transfers

You have to do the math & do what works best for you

Lots of hotels cheaper  than what O charges  may not get  a 4-5*  but many are clean & safe

If you are getting in late & just want to crash  there are some airport hotels  that would work for you

enjoy

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It may work out  better if you book your own air/hotel & transfers

We did the maths before the booking and are fine with the deal. Booking flights with O, turns the whole deal into a "package holiday" under UK law, offering us consumer protection in the unlikely event of a company going out of business or there being a major disruption to the holiday.

By the by, we were able to cite this to a company we had booked a holiday with , including Alaska cruise, which got cancelled at the beginning of the pandemic. They wanted to only issue us with a credit note but we said we'd happily see them in court if they didnt fully refund. Once they realised we actually knew the law, they backed down.

9 minutes ago, Harters said:

We did the maths before the booking and are fine with the deal. Booking flights with O, turns the whole deal into a "package holiday" under UK law, offering us consumer protection in the unlikely event of a company going out of business or there being a major disruption to the holiday.

By the by, we were able to cite this to a company we had booked a holiday with , including Alaska cruise, which got cancelled at the beginning of the pandemic. They wanted to only issue us with a credit note but we said we'd happily see them in court if they didnt fully refund. Once they realised we actually knew the law, they backed down.

yes  your protection laws  are a good reason to book the package deal

I would think on the UK site it would tell you what hotel they are using??

Look under the cruise  then under hotels/land

image.thumb.png.5cb5c5f17d9af6ace6205df39ca72f1b.png

Sorry the  $499 was in CAD   so might be different in USD or GBP

image.thumb.png.dbdc9674abed885f0f736c316add4683.png

3 hours ago, Harters said:

As Hawaiiden notes, we'll be wrecked and just want to grab something to eat and go to bed - even though it's only late afternoon local time. Thanks to LHT28 for the info about the Four Seasons.

(Hawaiiden - North Cheshire, just south of Manchester)

My only gripe is at the UK end. The O package will start with the flight from London. It could have started from our home airport (Manchester) but only if it was on the same day as the transatlantic flight and we were going through the London airport as transit passengers. Timings make that too close for comfort, so we'll fly MAN/LHR the previous day and stay overnight near LHR, at our expense. It's not an issue.

Apologies in advance. This cruise is not till next year so I'm bound to ask the question again, nearer the time,  forgetting that I've already raised it. :classic_biggrin:

My mum was from Cheatum Hill.......... probably now a Natl Car Park.....   

Good for the original poster - like you, I received a great number of phenomenal recommendations for Venice from people like @Hawaiidan and @ORV

That said, I'll take exception with looking for the free breakfast at a hotel route. Those places leave me quoting Hannibal, "It's not even food as I understand it" - so I seek out places where I can walk to fine cup of coffee and fresh bit of pastry. (referring only to US hotels of course). 

Eurostars Langford settles in a nice city neighborhood - outstanding places literally within punting distance from your door. A little further away (still walking distance) is water and a park and the Van Gogh experience is right around the corner. Depends really on when you arrive and just how fast you want to get to the pier I suppose ... I always think of the hotel before you get onboard as one of the most underrated parts of your trip. 

No vouching for this particular hotel at all really (the penthouse was sumptuous and inexpensive, but poorly cleaned). But I did like the area, very calming, even arriving at 3 AM as we did. Beware, insofar as no one in Miami uses a mask.

I agree turning it into a package deal is good, but the price too convert economy to Biz with Oceania makes it prohibitive for us. Due to the size of my rump I need a biz class seat for long haul to be comfy to travel. 

Also it does help that I am an obsessive enough planner that i can usually get a biz class fare for very little more O charge for their economy fares. 

We are cruising ex Miami for our Christmas cruise and silly me has it in her head that she wants to look out of the window of her hotel room on embarkation day and see Riviera there waiting for her.

So IC it is…  

We are staying an extra day post cruise to do a little tour of South Beach and staying at The Betsy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

I agree turning it into a package deal is good, but the price too convert economy to Biz with Oceania makes it prohibitive for us. Due to the size of my rump I need a biz class seat for long haul to be comfy to travel. 

Also it does help that I am an obsessive enough planner that i can usually get a biz class fare for very little more O charge for their economy fares. 

We are cruising ex Miami for our Christmas cruise and silly me has it in her head that she wants to look out of the window of her hotel room on embarkation day and see Riviera there waiting for her.

So IC it is…  

We are staying an extra day post cruise to do a little tour of South Beach and staying at The Betsy. 

Edited by Hawaiidan

A strong  suggestion.... since your a year away  or many months.      Go  sign up for a hotel program like Marriott  its free.   Then get a credit card ...a business card  make up a business or the like.    With Marriott  that kicks you up to silver and gives you an annual free night stay every year worth up to $235.00 !!!.     

Not staying at hotels much?    No problem  the Bus card gives you points  for gas,  restaurant ,  hotels, phone ... all sorts of stuff you regularly!   do!!!!!      I use mine for ALL things that will accept a Credit card ( taxes, insurance, medical, phone, cable, cruises,  car repair, stamps  etc.   )    Quit using cash  and start using smarts.    Pay off the card at months end with the cash you would have spent.      Your just swapping methods  and making out big time. 

By the time you travel you may be very surprised that you  will have several free  nights   by the  years end...       People   do  not believe it is that easy and that they can do it  and reap huge benefit's

My  philosophy isis your spending the money anyway.... why not get back $$$$$ in  non taxable benifits.     ( never spend $1  that your dont get $1.25 back in value.

images (3).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

My mum was from Cheatum Hill.......... probably now a Natl Car Park.....   

Cheetham Hill is one of the city's most ethnically diverse areas. It's been home to waves of immigration since the 18th century - Jews, Irish, South Asians, African/Carribbean, East European. As with all immigration, communities move to the outer suburbs as they become more established but their legacies remain in Cheetham

18 hours ago, ToxM said:

but the price too convert economy to Biz with Oceania makes it prohibitive for us.

Yep. It is damn expensive. We did look at upgrading - it's a long flight and , as we get older, finding them harder. Maybe next time, we'll do more research but, for this cruise, it looked like it was filling up quickly so we just decided to get it booked.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Amex Platinum gives Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold – that's why I equate them.  The Hilton food credit covers breakfast at Garden Inns, which is the level we prefer for road trips.

Understood. At the time that the benefits were set up between AmEx and the two hotel chains, those were comparable levels (e.g., Marriott Gold was given executive lounge access, breakfast at most brands, etc.). With the Starwood/Marriott merger, there were some significant change to the loyalty tiers in order to accommodate the differences between the two programs. This created a misalignment with AmEx benefits that has not yet been corrected, probably due to some contractual terms.

Since the hotel loyalty discussion is mostly off-topic now, I'd recommend anyone interested in further details check out the Marriott discussion group on FlyerTalk.

• Like 1