Wondering why May 1 Oosterdam Rome cruise is cancelled?

bennybear

We are booked immediately following this cruise on May 8 and found out on our roll call that the May 1 immediately preceding this one was cancelled yesterday. 
I’m wondering if anyone has any idea why?  We are thinking that the May 8 to Israel is looking very iffy! 

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

At some point it becomes a self fulfilling act.  HAL cancels a cruise due to lack of demand so cruisers on other cruises get nervous and cancel causing HAL to cancel a cruise due to lack of demand….

However, N. Statendam has been sailing, so its not a resumption issue like Volendam and Oosterdam.

• Like 1

You have to wonder with the cancellations and many ships in the industry still without passengers when cruising will finally return to normal. The industry took a huge hit at the beginning of the pandemic and there probably is a fairly large segment of the population that will pass on cruises for awhile and spend their vacation money elsewhere. 

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

You have to wonder with the cancellations and many ships in the industry still without passengers when cruising will finally return to normal. The industry took a huge hit at the beginning of the pandemic and there probably is a fairly large segment of the population that will pass on cruises for awhile and spend their vacation money elsewhere. 

Sorry to say that Mrs Banjo and I are in that group.  We canceled all cruises for 2022 and are waiting to see how things work out before even considering any booking s for 2023 and beyond.    I hope things improve this year, because I miss being on the high seas.

Time to check out cruises during peak season (summer) in Europe.  Perhaps some deals. (We usually stick to TA's and shoulder season trips because of the $$$$).

We've been on two cruises since the unpleasantness and sailing next month and this fall....But if the price is right, might add a summer cruise!

This is the best time to cruise, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We re started cruising last July and have since taken 3 cruises (2 Seabourn and 1 Princess) with no missed ports, delays, cancellations, etc.  The only cancelled cruise we have had in the last 9 months is HAL (an Asian cruise scheduled for March 2022).  We have 3 cruises booked (and may book another) in 2022 none of which are HAL.  I will be blunt in saying we simply do not trust HAL while we have a lot more confidence in both Seabourn and Princess (both part of the HAL Group).  

I agree with the last poster that this is a terrific time to cruise.  Our 3 cruises last year were all fantastic with no crowding, queues, etc.  The quality of our 3 cruises was excellent and we actually thought that Seabourn had increased their overall quality (not easy to do on a line that is near perfection).  We did not experience any cut-backs on our two SB cruises.  On Princess the only major cut-back was that they closed one of the 3 MDRs because the ship was cruising with less than 60% capacity.  The two remaining MDRs were never crowded and service was good.  We also thought there were some cut-backs in terms of cuisine (in terms of portion size and some quality) but not to the extent that it was a big deal.  Princess also seemed to have some logistical/supply issues with various items in short supply or not even available (especially when it came to booze and wine).

But, at the moment, I have very little faith in HAL in terms of them actually operating the cruise we would book.  Accordingly, our 2022 bookings are with Seabourn, Princess and MSC.  We do have a 42 day HAL cruise booked for 2023 but already have our doubts that the voyage will ever happen.  Bottom line is that if we had only depended on HAL to get us back to cruising we would still be sitting home counting a few more cancellations.  

Hank

Our two recent HAL cruises were fantastic......and they delivered on everything.....it was "good to be home".

Our next cruise next month is our first cruise on Princess.  Could not pass on the price....Cheaper than staying at home!  We shall see how they live up to what we have learned to expect from our 'dam ships!

Get out there folks and leave fear and all the Covid anguish behind......It's not worth it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Sorry to say that Mrs Banjo and I are in that group.  We canceled all cruises for 2022 and are waiting to see how things work out before even considering any booking s for 2023 and beyond.    I hope things improve this year, because I miss being on the high seas.

We actually took 2 cruises this past December with Princess. Things were just fine, ships were half full, service was great and the masks though a pain you learned to live with them. As far as we know, there were no Covid cases in the 2 cruises. What scared us when we got back was the huge spike in cases with Omicron even though if you are vaccined a case of Covid should be very mild but at 76 years old we were still scared. We think by late March Omicron should be a thing of the past so we booked March 20th on the Rotterdam and Celebrity on June 12. Lets hope this Pandemic will soon be a bad memory.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1