Question about TA demand

nicky6425

My TA always sends me a copy of the booking from Celebrity, with the final payment date from Celebrity on it.  

Then, she emails me about a month before final payment to ask when I want to pay off the cruise.  We usually do it about a week ahead of time, so that if there are any issues, they can be taken care of.  I let her know, based on credit card closing dates,  when it is a good time. 

2 weeks isn't really that much.  If you have an issue with 2 weeks, that you are not certain you are going, you need to speak with your TA about it.  Particularly since they have pushed back final payment to 60 days out instead of 90.

I think it is common for TA's to do this to allow time to connect with the client and get the payment in before the deadline.   My TA's system automatically sends the invoice due emails and even sends overdue messages.   I just tell my TA when I'm going to make the payment and he says to just ignore the automated reminders.

‘Demand’ is a curious word….my professional local TA reminds me when it approaches and makes sure she has the CC info, then pays as needed, usually as it approaches, but not the ‘day of’. 

Along with the ‘demand/required’ well prior to when it is actually due, I’d strongly suggest you fully understand what they keep in deposits and payments if you cancel out. I’ve seen posts about TA’s keeping part of the refundable deposits and charge fees for after-final cancelations even with the Line returning all in cash or FCC’s. 

You not only have a contract with a Cruise Line, you have it with your booking agent. I sound very ‘above it all’ but I’ve been bit before and I now go with a local TA. 

Den

• Like 1

We are using the big box TA for some of our cruises, and their final payment date is always two weeks early.  Usually you can get them to make it one week, on request, and then if you call 8 or 9 days before the real Celebrity date, they will usually give you a few extra days and tell you this is the "last extension."  We just had a situation where the big box final payment date was January 16, the real Celebrity date was January 30.  I asked for an extension and was given one.  Meanwhile, Celebrity extended the final payment dates by moving it to 60 days (rather than 90) for cruises through May.  If I had not gotten the first extension, I would have paid up and been a bit miffed at the big box for requiring early payment.  It is not about the extra days for me, it is about maximizing the chances that I know whether Celebrity is cancelling the cruise before shelling out the cash.  I am not really anxious to accrue any more FCCs at this point.

Tom & Judy

It's not uncommon at all.

Imagine if there's an issue with the payment. That can take many forms: the CC not going through, an expired card, website issues, not being able to contact you on the final payment deadline, etc.  Who would you blame - the TA of course. 

Most reminders are auto-generated. It should not be an issue at all if you request to wait.

If it is an actual "demand" as you state, find a new TA for your next trip.

• Like 2

Realize we all need to meet various deadlines, but the excuse that some TA’s want very early final payments because they may have issues executing the payment seems a bit of a stretch. If on the due date, the TA has ‘an issue’ they contact the company and tell them they are working it. When I was booking directly, not using a TA, I once had a problem completing my payment on the date due, and Celebrity just told me to complete it when I could, that I wouldn’t loose my booking. 

And using a TA, I had a cruise on hold and hadn’t made the deposit yet, and I got caught up and forget even with my TA reminding me. When I came back to the TA days after the deposit due date and asked if I still had the reservation, I was told ‘no problem’ and they set it up. 

Maybe I’m just lucky or Celebrity has a soft spot just for me, and others have lost their reservations because they didn’t execute it, but I find that a bit of an weak reason. I personally think it’s more to do with tying you in, which isn’t bad, but more focused on their business than their customer.

I see the ‘Celebrity changed the due date by a month just prior to my payment date’, but in most all cases, I don’t really see it as that big of a deal if I pay 1 or 2 weeks prior. I usually do all the time. 

den