On Riviera Now ~ February 7-19

gbits

1 hour ago, dpg17 said:

Does anyone know if there’s a duty free shop on the Riviera to bring home a bottle of alcohol? Celebrity has them but I can’t see it on the deck plan for Oceania.

Thank you 😊

No there is not

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dpg17 said:

Does anyone know if there’s a duty free shop on the Riviera to bring home a bottle of alcohol? Celebrity has them but I can’t see it on the deck plan for Oceania.

Thank you 😊

There was no duty free shop on her selling alcohol during the 12/13-23/21 cruise. You can buy accessories, clothes, jewelry, perfume, purses, and watches, as well as some small items (like Dramamine!). See the Boutique floor plan for Deck 5. So I bought my Cana Real, rum, & wine in port.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 2:10 PM, CAG said:

We have not had the band on the pool deck, but the "piped in" music has been enjoyable.  On another note, last night the captain announced that after many months of not being able to leave the ship, the crew were now allowed shore leave.  Needless to say there were some very happy crew today being able to put solid ground under their feet.

Although this is of course great news for the deserving crew -it makes those of us boarding within the next week or two a bit more leery as that opens up the opportunity for more contacting of this virus for sure.  Guess it had to happen at some point....jus selfishly wishing it was a week or two "after" we had completed our cruise.

20 hours ago, Nymich said:

You would be first to go to Grenada as we were not allowed.  Let us know!

Looks like we are getting into Grenada tomorrow!!! I would have been happy with Tortola also though.

Edited by gbits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dpg17 said:

Thank you 😊

Not that I have seen.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

Although this is of course great news for the deserving crew -it makes those of us boarding within the next week or two a bit more leery as that opens up the opportunity for more contacting of this virus for sure.  Guess it had to happen at some point....jus selfishly wishing it was a week or two "after" we had completed our cruise.

At the Oceania members cocktail reception tonight, they announced that the crew is 100% Covid free which is why they have been allowed shore privileges. They are so happy to be able to get off the ship for the first time in a very long time. I am happy for them, they work so hard.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dpg17 said:

Thank you 😊

Oceania has never had a duty free shop for alcohol purchases   since we start sailing with them back in 2004

Just buy something in port  if the price is right

JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, calicakes said:

How do most people feel about sharing tables in this Covid era? 

Wouldn’t at this time.  Even before would want to meet someone first (lunch/coffee)before wanting to share a dinner table.  Could be a long evening.

• Like 1

We truly enjoy sharing dinner tables on O (not much on other lines) as it is a great way to meet very interesting people. It is our preference to share as we can eat on our own at home. This has resulted in visitors coming to stay with from Texas and New Zealand. It is only one meal and we have had great fun with many couples but of course it is not everyone 's preference.

We look at it as an opportunity to make new friends. There was only one incident in our 21 O cruises that was uncomfortable so that a pretty good record.

Covid of course has brought on new challenges and comfort levels. Everyone can do as they please.

• Like 7

Ditto cswhistler,

23 cruises and one “tough” night in Toscana sharing a dinner table with 4 unknown guests. They were not the usual Oceania cruiser, they were many years younger than us and were petty and pretentious and caught up in their own “wonderfulness”. They had to share their last all inclusive cruise experiences and explain why their experiences were so superior than what Oceania had to offer. 🤬just gag me! 

I have already talked it over with St.Peter and the 120 minutes at dinner with the four of them secured our places in heaven 🙏🤞👍 when it is our time to embark the great cruise ship in the sky. OK, perhaps a bit over the top comparison but the point is, there are a lot of wonderful people to share your dinner table with without worrying about being bored to tears. Give someone else a chance to meet you because we have met and made many wonderful friends from all over the world and it would not have been possible without sharing a table with them. Some were so “forgiving” that they did not even ban us from their table after I had spilled drinks on her, let’s say twice.  Enjoy your Oceania family!

Ciao,

Mauibabes

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

Ditto cswhistler,

23 cruises and one “tough” night in Toscana sharing a dinner table with 4 unknown guests. They were not the usual Oceania cruiser, they were many years younger than us and were petty and pretentious and caught up in their own “wonderfulness”. They had to share their last all inclusive cruise experiences and explain why their experiences were so superior than what Oceania had to offer. 🤬just gag me! 

I have already talked it over with St.Peter and the 120 minutes at dinner with the four of them secured our places in heaven 🙏🤞👍 when it is our time to embark the great cruise ship in the sky. OK, perhaps a bit over the top comparison but the point is, there are a lot of wonderful people to share your dinner table with without worrying about being bored to tears. Give someone else a chance to meet you because we have met and made many wonderful friends from all over the world and it would not have been possible without sharing a table with them. Some were so “forgiving” that they did not even ban us from their table after I had spilled drinks on her, let’s say twice.  Enjoy your Oceania family!

Ciao,

Mauibabes

Don't worry Mauibabes – I'm sure St. Peter is that forgiving.  However, if you spilled your drink on me twice I don't think I would be.  But maybe your conversation is sparkling, and so is your wine [so no stain???]

I've been trying to figure out why DW and I experienced seemingly contradictory reactions to sharing tables on our recent cruises.  In Sep and Nov we cruised for 15 nights and 10 nights on Noble Caledonia where we happily ate every meal [well, not breakfast – no conversation pre-coffee!] at shared tables and made lots of new British friends.  Then in Jan we spent 14 nights on Riviera where we carefully avoided sharing tables [even cancelled our reservations at La Reserve when we saw how close the seats are]. 

Why the difference, I've been wondering?  Last fall was in the time of Delta, with its serious symptoms; while Jan was Omicron, more infectious but less deadly.  And the consequences of testing positive during or after the Med cruises [far from home and outside Medicare coverage] were much more severe than on a Miami rt where our own car was waiting to drive away 'under the radar.'

It finally dawned on me, thanks to some recent posts here describing negative encounters at sharing tables on Oceania.  On our first Oceania cruise, way back in 2011, we said yes to the sharing table offer – and twice ended up with the same group, which was dominated by a mother and daughter who flaunted their wealth and, as @mauibabes put it their 'wonderfulness.'  [I should note that said mother was divorced from the father of said daughter, so everything was obviously not 'wonderful' in their life, while DW and I are in the 48th year of our first marriage.]  So thank God we did not have a repeat encounter early in the Noble Caledonia cruises, and were able to enjoy the mix of new and old companions at our shared tables!  It probably also factored in that we were conscious of being the only Americans on either Noble Caledonia cruise, so dining alone would have felt like we were either snooty or being ostracized, while on Oceania the restaurants are set up at present with so many two-tops that dining alone is pretty much the standard.

So at least in our case, Covid had nothing to do with it.  And I hope that on future cruises the opportunity for roll call shore excursions will have created enough pre-cruise bonding that we will feel comfortable inviting and accepting offers to share tables – just not with 'entitled' strangers...

We enjoy sharing tables, but my biggest fear is winding up sharing with some self appointed Oceania expert that knows all there is to know about Oceania, has been everywhere, knows the best way to do everything, and is not shy about telling everyone what they should be doing. I've come close to being with one of those guys a time or two. 98% of shared dinners have been fine, over the years there have been a couple of odd ones. 

I might have seen that Mother and daughter on one cruise. The one's I saw the daughter was a real, "look at me" type. I remember them walking into the GDR coming up to the GM's table while he was dining with another group, butting in, doing the fake italian kiss on each cheek thing, all the while both dripping in jewelry. Daughter was wearing a matching hotpants outfit, ala Beyonce style for dinner. Apologized for not being at dinner then made a grand exit. I was like WTH was that? 

• Haha 3

Although we avoided sharing at dinner on our recent Riviera cruise, it is often possible to have the “shared” experience when either in Martini’s or at a table for two which is beside another two.  The sofas in Martini’s which are across from chairs are an excellent way to meet people.  One of the things we liked most about our two cruises on O was the number of couples on board, rather than large groups.  When we first started cruising 30 years ago, we always selected sharing. At first it was wonderful. We sat at tables of six with two other couples. That worked really well. But on one occasion we were seated at a table of ten with a family of eight from Puerto Rico who were Spanish speaking…it was very uncomfortable because we were clearly intruding. We asked to be moved and were moved the next night to a table with a British family of 5. They were lovely but once again we were intruders. So our preference is a table for two.

48 minutes ago, ORV said:

We enjoy sharing tables, but my biggest fear is winding up sharing with some self appointed Oceania expert that knows all there is to know about Oceania, has been everywhere, knows the best way to do everything, and is not shy about telling everyone what they should be doing. 

I wouldn't eat dinner with Flatbush either! .......  Sorry just had to!

• Haha 10

9 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

Although we avoided sharing at dinner on our recent Riviera cruise, it is often possible to have the “shared” experience when either in Martini’s or at a table for two which is beside another two.  The sofas in Martini’s which are across from chairs are an excellent way to meet people.  One of the things we liked most about our two cruises on O was the number of couples on board, rather than large groups.  When we first started cruising 30 years ago, we always selected sharing. At first it was wonderful. We sat at tables of six with two other couples. That worked really well. But on one occasion we were seated at a table of ten with a family of eight from Puerto Rico who were Spanish speaking…it was very uncomfortable because we were clearly intruding. We asked to be moved and were moved the next night to a table with a British family of 5. They were lovely but once again we were intruders. So our preference is a table for two.

I've been there a time or two, craziest was years ago on Costa where we had dinner with assigned seating with an Italian family. A little boy around 5 or so had spaghetti every night. Since I like kids it was kind of fun, but I never want to do that again. Unlike many others I didn't hate Costa. On the other hand I never went with them again. But I'm ok cruising on Celebrity or RCL. Of course my preference is Oceania. 

39 minutes ago, ORV said:

Unlike many others I didn't hate Costa.

One of my best cruises ever was on Carla Costa.  My partner asked if we could get our money back when we stepped onto the ship. I rolled my eyes 🙄when I first heard them sing "C C Carla Costa" but was singing along by the end of cruise.  Restaurant was in the bowels of the ship but I have never on any cruise had waiters and maitre d  with the skill and expertise they had.  We had an inside room but I could hear the water lapping up against the side of the ship.  Oh the memories- that's what cruising is about.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gbits said:

At the Oceania members cocktail reception tonight, they announced that the crew is 100% Covid free which is why they have been allowed shore privileges. They are so happy to be able to get off the ship for the first time in a very long time. I am happy for them, they work so hard.

At a cooking class we we told the Culinary staff were till not allowed to leave the ship.

6 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

Not every day, but the guest speaker is presenting talks on the history of the Caribbean. 3 talks so far

That was the one thing I complained about on the "mid-cruise survey" for Riviera (12/13-23/21). No such live presentations. CD Paul called me that day to say I could watch prior ones on the TV, which I did. But there is something nice about an in-person presentation with Q&A. So a bit jealous! Though we didn't have to mask up and we made all of our port cities.

3 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

One of my best cruises ever was on Carla Costa.  My partner asked if we could get our money back when we stepped onto the ship. I rolled my eyes 🙄when I first heard them sing "C C Carla Costa" but was singing along by the end of cruise.  Restaurant was in the bowels of the ship but I have never on any cruise had waiters and maitre d  with the skill and expertise they had.  We had an inside room but I could hear the water lapping up against the side of the ship.  Oh the memories- that's what cruising is about.

Our first cruise was on the Costa Daphne.

The service was the best we have ever had on any line, and the Italian food was fantastic.

We haven't been back with Costa, but that first cruise made us fall in love with cruising.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

You were lucky.  Our honeymoon cruise was booked on 'Carla C' in 1974.  But when we boarded, we were on Costa 'Italia' – we later learned that 'Carla C' was a lemon of a ship, broken down more often than seaworthy...

• Like 1