The Daily for Tuesday 02/08/2022

richwmn

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A delicate question for the dailyites.  I noted in my little cheat sheet of upcoming celebrations that @ottahand7 is booked on the Nieuw Statendam February 13 to 23.  Should I include it or let bygones be bygones?

Roy

Include it in the celebrations.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It started out pretty, sunny and about 34F this morning, though the high will be 55F so I'm happy about that.  I see more storms are on their way for the Northerners.  Sorry to hear that news but surely spring will be on its way soon.  @kazuJacqui what a cute photo of Marley out in the snow.  He looks like he enjoys it.  Love all your memes today.  So true on hospitals keeping patients in the dark, unfortunately though the video was rather funny.

A salute to the Boy Scouts, the opera and Extraterrestrial Culture Day.  I don't think I want to get tangled up in the quote today.  I think I'll pass on the menu suggestion.  New York was on two of our itineraries in the past.  Once as an ending to a transatlantic (Caribbean Princess) and we went home immediately.  The second time in the middle of a Montreal to Tampa cruise.  That time I took a tour and DH stayed on the ship (Rotterdam).  I really do enjoy an unusual itinerary like that one.  

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily today.  Also I'm happy to see Roy's Care list is smaller and the Celebration much longer.  Thank you @rafinmd!  Prayers were already said today for our group and cheers 🥂to the Celebration people!  The last I heard on my niece's DH and his radiation/chemo treatments was last week during the snow storm.  Two days were cancelled because of it.  He comes home so weak and feels like he is choking all the time.  Poor guy!  Doctor says he will continue to feel weaker, and I believe he has about 4 more weeks of treatment.  I pray for him each day, and for my niece as she works so hard to maintain the family while he is unable to work.  Thanks to everyone here who prays for him.🙏

Have a great day everybody!  

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

42 minutes ago, summer slope said:

On way to my BC surgery so a quick post of the drink of the day.

Cruzan Daiquari:

Ingredients:
1 Part Jim Beam
0.5 Part Orange Juice
1 tsp Sugar
1 Orange Wheel
Directions:
Add fresh orange juice and sugar to a tall glass. Stir to dissolve sugar and measure and pour in Jim Beam. Fill glass completely with ice and top with soda water.Stir, garnish and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 7.48.14 AM.png

Good luck for your BC surgery Dixie.

Graham.

• Like 19

Good morning everyone. I’ve been up since 3am since we have no heat and it’s 58 degrees in the house. New York ,New York is a place I miss a lot since until 8 years ago we lived 30 minutes north in a suburb called New Rochelle. If anyone remembers, it was the epicenter of the corona virus when it started and my daughter and grandsons still live there. They live on the same street I grew up on. Opera is something that Adam and my mother love, me not so much. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A salute to the Boy Scouts. Never been to the Opera. If we weren't going to be traveling tonight I would suggest to DH that we watch E.T. tonight. (He'd be shocked because it is very rare that I suggest what we watch.)

I agree, the meal sounds Greek so I'll probably like it but will wait for @dfish Debbie's recipes. Good quote by Twain.

This morning DH will load his tools that he will need to work on DMIL's house before the cruise and DD's house afterwards. I will finish packing and tidying up. After lunch I am hoping we get a nap before leaving. We plan to leave at 4:00 to get to the nursing home in Marietta for a scheduled visit with DMIL's cousin, Laurie. (Planning for traffic as it's really only about an hour away. If we get there early we'll probably get a quick dinner.) We are taking her a cell phone so she has a way to communicate with family and friends. We found out while there in December that her daughter took hers and has not visited or been in touch with other family since. The staff confirmed this and said that Laurie is very capable to use a phone. They also made the comment that she doesn't really need to be there. Very sad. Anyway, I didn't really mean to go into all of that but it has been weighing on my heart and I know my friends here will understand. Thank you.

We can visit with her for an hour then we will head to Florida.

Well, I've gone on and bored you all long enough.

@summer slope Dixie thinking of you and hope your surgery goes well.

Wishing you all a terrific Tuesday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Julia, we do understand about your DMIL's cousin in the nursing home, and with no visitors and no cell phone.  Some of us have been through those trials with family.  I know she will love having you two visit, which is so sweet of you by the way.  Avoid that horrible traffic in Atlanta and have a smooth trip south.  Your DH is so good to help everyone with their renovations.  He is a talented man, that's for sure!  Be safe!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Yay for scouts, both boys and girls; it's a great program that teaches lifelong skills.  I have seen an opera - The Barber of Seville - thankfully the program held the story line so we could follow along.  I'd like to know what cultures exist extraterrestrially; wouldn't that be interesting?

Another balmy February morning here on the frozen tundra where we're sitting at +3C, which means there will be some settling of the huge drifts along the driveway and sidewalk.  Currently the drift measures about 4' along the drive, which makes it hard to shovel over, so it can settle a good bit today and I'd be happy.  

@kazuanother storm?  Enough already!  I can't imagine having to deal with so many, so close together.  Stay safe!

So many of us on the Daily thread have pets, dogs, cats, birds, and we think so much of them.  A friend sent this to me yesterday that made me giggle, and it might make some of you smile as well.

554611850_Canopener.jpg.568e334db55155ea8e808e4d6a3f51e5.jpg

I've had today's menu suggestion, it's a spicy Korean rice cake.  A number of years ago a delegation of Korean professors came to our university and we were invited to have dinner with them.  They worked all day preparing foods for us, one of the dishes was Tteokbokki.  I was also introduced to kimchi at that time, and really enjoyed it.  For us, however, it's going to be air fried salmon, pan fries and green beans for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise the glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wear your masks, get your boosters, wash your hands, be safe, and stay warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I was way off on the meal. Thanks for the insight.

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A delicate question for the dailyites.  I noted in my little cheat sheet of upcoming celebrations that @ottahand7 is booked on the Nieuw Statendam February 13 to 23.  Should I include it or let bygones be bygones?

Roy

Include it.

12 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

When I was a Freshman in high school one of the choir teachers announced the the Lyric Opera in Chicago was looking for people to be a supernumerary. Myself and another fellow went down to the Chicago Opera House one afternoon in 1965 when they were casting. We were both chosen for the second opera of the season which was "Otello" directed by the great Tito Gobbi. I played a townsperson in Act 1 and a Venetian soldier in Act 2. It was a memorable experience!

- Jack

What a wonderful opportunity.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. I’ve been up since 3am since we have no heat and it’s 58 degrees in the house. New York ,New York is a place I miss a lot since until 8 years ago we lived 30 minutes north in a suburb called New Rochelle. If anyone remembers, it was the epicenter of the corona virus when it started and my daughter and grandsons still live there. They live on the same street I grew up on. Opera is something that Adam and my mother love, me not so much. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, that's really cold!  Is someone coming to fix the furnace soon?  I hope so!  Please bundle yourself and Sam up so you stay warm until then.  Hopefully you will be letting us know thing are heating up before long.  

• Like 21

15 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

When I was a Freshman in high school one of the choir teachers announced the the Lyric Opera in Chicago was looking for people to be a supernumerary. Myself and another fellow went down to the Chicago Opera House one afternoon in 1965 when they were casting. We were both chosen for the second opera of the season which was "Otello" directed by the great Tito Gobbi. I played a townsperson in Act 1 and a Venetian soldier in Act 2. It was a memorable experience!

- Jack

What high school did you attend, I'm from Chicago and attended Sullivan in Rogers Park, class of 1964.

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone.  

It looks like it will be another mild day here in northeast Ohio.   

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I would include it.  This is only February 8th, so plenty of time to celebrate with @ottahand7.

I have some very slight discomfort in my jaw this morning, but I did sleep well once I fell asleep.  I've been having trouble getting to sleep lately.  I thought I would be relaxed from taking ibuprofen, but no.  Oh, well.  

Today's meal is indeed Korean.   Winner, winner, chicken dinner to @ger_77 for knowing what it was.  I admit I was clueless even after I had looked it up.   Yes, it is made from small, cylindrical rice cakes that you can either buy or make yourself.  Here is a recipe to make them  yourself.  https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/garaetteok

teokkbokki-300x169.jpg.415d56bdee9bd3024567e50faec6ac75.jpg

And, now what to do with them!    https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tteokbokki   Reading the recipe, it sounds like it is a bit on the spicy side, so if you are sensitive to spicy foods, beware.   I'd probably like the spice.  

ddeokbokki_sizzlingpot-590x393.jpg.6811e8b79848f3d063cbff1f72df665f.jpg

Tteokbokki, also spelled ddukbokki or ddeokbokki, literally translates to 'stir fried rice cakes' in Korean. It's made with a specific kind of rice cake called garae-tteok, which is a long cylinder shaped rice cake that's cut into long pieces.  The sauce can be soupy to dry and besides the spice, can be sweet.  So, sweet and spicy.   I'd like to try this, but wouldn't eat much because rice tends to spike my blood sugar too much.  But, I am intrigued.

https://drivemehungry.com/tteokbokki-spicy-korean-rice-cakes/

tteokbokki-korean-rice-cakes-3.thumb.jpg.cd3e383de51d75293ee508f6f84de202.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.   Prayers for those in need and cheers for those celebrating.  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have been quiet because we have been on the road.  We are in Daytona Beach right now and only heading south of Melbourne today so I had time to open my computer.  We are boarding on 2/13 and staying on through March 6.    It has been extremely hard to social distance when dining out so I pray that we pass our test on Friday.    In KY people just don't wear masks and the restaurant on Bowling Green was packed at 4pm.  We spent no time in hot spot TN. 

The trip has went well, dry roads and no wrecks on the highways.   Today we take the leisurely drive mostly down Route 1 down the FL coast and will have time to do wash since it will be raining most of the day.    Wash is badly needed because it has been cold all the way down.   Not a lot of warm clothes were packed.  

My brother called and his knee replacement for today was cancelled because he failed his COVID test.  He feels well.   His wife has been sick with a "cold" for weeks.   My sister was able to get to my house and pack up my 22 pound bag I forgot and it will meet us when we arrive in FL on Thursday.    👏

Prayers for everyone on the list and for everyone to stay safe!  🙏

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I have been quiet because we have been on the road.  We are in Daytona Beach right now and only heading south of Melbourne today so I had time to open my computer.  We are boarding on 2/13 and staying on through March 6.    It has been extremely hard to social distance when dining out so I pray that we pass our test on Friday.    In KY people just don't wear masks and the restaurant on Bowling Green was packed at 4pm.  We spent no time in hot spot TN. 

The trip has went well, dry roads and no wrecks on the highways.   Today we take the leisurely drive mostly down Route 1 down the FL coast and will have time to do wash since it will be raining most of the day.    Wash is badly needed because it has been cold all the way down.   Not a lot of warm clothes were packed.  

My brother called and his knee replacement for today was cancelled because he failed his COVID test.  He feels well.   His wife has been sick with a "cold" for weeks.   My sister was able to get to my house and pack up my 22 pound bag I forgot and it will meet us when we arrive in FL on Thursday.    👏

Prayers for everyone on the list and for everyone to stay safe!  🙏

Welcome back.  I have a telehealth coming up and then errands but will be back later today.

Roy

• Like 25

I love Cruzan Rum and Beaujolais.   Been to NYC many times but I don't have any port photos.   ET and the quote OK.   Rice dish looks interesting but I think I will pass.   

The Cruzan Daiquiri was a shocker when it listed Jim Beam as the booze.   Here are a couple of road trip pics of KY.  Jim Beam Distillery and the Corvette Museum.  

Probably better get ready for breakfast.   

Beam top shelf 2519.JPG

bottle on filling line 2519.JPG

50s Vettes 2519.JPG

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Rowsby said:
We were a huge Scout family....

For several years....all three of our sons served as staff at Camp Pioneer in the Oregon Cascade mountains...........and they loved it....:)

Camp Pioneer - Top Row - Perry far left - Dave 3rd from left - Erik far right 1.jpg

What a beautiful lake!  Congrats to your sons for their work with the Scouts.

• Like 20

Good morning to all and thank you @richwmn and @rafinmd for the lists.

It is another dreary day here in Bluffton, SC.  Maybe the Sun will come out Tomorrow.

The destination of the day—New York.  Well, I was born and raised there and lived there until 20 years ago when we moved south.  However, New York is in my blood and will always be.  I am a proud New Yorker and miss that city terribly—except for the cold weather.

On that note, we did occasionally go to the opera and enjoyed it immensely.  The Met is a beautiful venue and it fun to get dressed up and go there and enjoy a performance.

DH was not only a Boy Scout but an Eagle Scout and has all his medals to prove it.  He’s really proud of that.

Have had that wine and it is really very nice.

Will pass on the meal.

As for my pains, they are still with me.  Especially my right hand.  Was in touch with the Doc a few times yesterday.  Trying to get an appointment with the hand doc at the Mayo because they do not think the hand problem is related to the autoimmune disorder.  So waiting for more phone calls today.

Prayers for all who need them and Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Take care and God bless.  Will try to post again later if I have more news.

Terri

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.So much going on. here already!  @JAM37  I worked as a PT for many years in a nursing  home and I know that your visit today will be appreciated by your  relative. I have to say  at least in pre covid times,the staff where I worked tried to fill in as best they could for family.

@mamaofami, I hope the problem gets fixed soon and heat is restored.

I grew up in a suburban  city,White Plains , which was 42 minutes by train to Grand Central. We were able to explore the city on our own as teenagers in the late sixties.Different times. We sailed from NYC four different times and I always found it very exciting.DH and I were always a little emotional sailing by the Statue of Liberty as all of our grandparents arrived from Europe on ships very different  from the luxurious  cruise ships we sailed. It really gave me an appreciation  of the journey made by very strong folks  to leave their homes  and come to a new  country.

I made yesterday's  recipe and 3 out of 5 diners liked it. The ones who did not want it had leftover rice and beans from Sunday.Today's recipe looks interesting, especially  if someone else makes it

Dixie  @summer slope I hope your procedure goes well today.

The memes and video as well as the picture of Marley  in the snow were a hoot today , @kazu. Prayers  for you,Jose and Marley.

Terry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

What a beautiful lake!  Congrats to your sons for their work with the Scouts.

In the photo...you can barely see it...the camp sits at the base of Mt. Jefferson....and it is beautiful....!!!

When my husband retired....we had a cabin on the Metolius River in Camp Sherman...in these same mountains....:)

• Like 24

35 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

What high school did you attend, I'm from Chicago and attended Sullivan in Rogers Park, class of 1964.

St. Benedict at Irving Park and Leavitt. Class of 1969.  One summer I taught Summer School at Sullivan.  It seems to me that it was 2005 as none of their teachers wanted to teach. I was teaching at Schurz HS at the time. Rough school!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

It looks like it will be another mild day here in northeast Ohio.   

I would include it.  This is only February 8th, so plenty of time to celebrate with @ottahand7.

I have some very slight discomfort in my jaw this morning, but I did sleep well once I fell asleep.  I've been having trouble getting to sleep lately.  I thought I would be relaxed from taking ibuprofen, but no.  Oh, well.  

Today's meal is indeed Korean.   Winner, winner, chicken dinner to @ger_77 for knowing what it was.  I admit I was clueless even after I had looked it up.   Yes, it is made from small, cylindrical rice cakes that you can either buy or make yourself.  Here is a recipe to make them  yourself.  https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/garaetteok

teokkbokki-300x169.jpg.415d56bdee9bd3024567e50faec6ac75.jpg

And, now what to do with them!    https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tteokbokki   Reading the recipe, it sounds like it is a bit on the spicy side, so if you are sensitive to spicy foods, beware.   I'd probably like the spice.  

ddeokbokki_sizzlingpot-590x393.jpg.6811e8b79848f3d063cbff1f72df665f.jpg

Tteokbokki, also spelled ddukbokki or ddeokbokki, literally translates to 'stir fried rice cakes' in Korean. It's made with a specific kind of rice cake called garae-tteok, which is a long cylinder shaped rice cake that's cut into long pieces.  The sauce can be soupy to dry and besides the spice, can be sweet.  So, sweet and spicy.   I'd like to try this, but wouldn't eat much because rice tends to spike my blood sugar too much.  But, I am intrigued.

https://drivemehungry.com/tteokbokki-spicy-korean-rice-cakes/

tteokbokki-korean-rice-cakes-3.thumb.jpg.cd3e383de51d75293ee508f6f84de202.jpg

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.   Prayers for those in need and cheers for those celebrating.  

Debbie, this looks and sounds very interesting.  We would both give it a try.

• Like 17

Good Morning!  Hugs to all.  I have to very brief this morning as I am making a crock pot beef roast, and i slept late, and then DH got up, came down the hall and asked me if I started yet.  Nope, had to read the daily.  So now I must move! 

DH's new campaign in telemarketing starts next week, for the Lyric Opera.  He was interested in hearing about the supernumerary gig. 

@mamaofamiI hope you get the heat fixed!  and quickly!  

@dfishThank you for the recipes. it looks good, but for some reason rice raises my sugar levels higher than pasta, and this meal would be a no, but i wonder how the flavors would work with noodles.Hmmm, something to go back and read.  

I once saw on the cover of National Inquirer while standing in the grocery store line the following head line.- Your cat may be an alien.  hunh?  I already knew that.

We had tickets to the Atlanta opera for several years.  We started out in the FOX, which was nice, then they moved the opera to the Civic center, and our seats were so far back, I couldn't tell an alto from a tenor, and to tell you the truth, except for Madame Butterfly and La Boheme, I don't care for it.  I told DH, that if he wanted to keep going, he had to pay for it, and that ended our opera attendance. LOL.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26
  • Haha 2