PCR Testing done?

NSnewcruiser

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

The Minster said "no more than 24 hours before their scheduled flight." That's very specific, as I would expect from the Minister. If your flight is scheduled for Friday at 3:00 PM, the test must be taken no earlier than 3:00 PM on Thursday.

"taken the day prior to their scheduled flight" can be interpreted in two ways and was sloppy writing on the part of the individual who wrote the PHAC press release. Once the travel.gc.ca webpages are updated, you will see the 24 hour time frame.

Thanks.  I didn’t hear the news conference, so I’ll go with what the Minister said, but I  think I’m going to book the antigen test and leave the PCR test booking for awhile.  Can cancel the PC R test easily enough.

To add insult to injury:

The travel industry is applauding the federal government's decision to remove the COVID-19 PCR testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers entering or returning to Canada.

"It's fantastic news," said Marty Firestone, president of Travel Secure Inc., in an interview with CTV News Channel on Tuesday...."The difference between a PCR test requirement and a rapid antigen requirement is night and day," Firestone said. "It's going to make your trip a totally different experience not having to worry about getting the PCR test."

No idea what he's thinking, but responses like that will just make the gvt think they've done the right thing and will be less likely to be in a hurry to actually improve things

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Luckysll said:

Thanks.  I didn’t hear the news conference, so I’ll go with what the Minister said, but I  think I’m going to book the antigen test and leave the PCR test booking for awhile.  Can cancel the PC R test easily enough.

If you are interested, you can view it here:  

Most of the significant information is in the first 10 minutes or so.

Edited by Fouremco

5 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

To add insult to injury:

The travel industry is applauding the federal government's decision to remove the COVID-19 PCR testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers entering or returning to Canada.

"It's fantastic news," said Marty Firestone, president of Travel Secure Inc., in an interview with CTV News Channel on Tuesday...."The difference between a PCR test requirement and a rapid antigen requirement is night and day," Firestone said. "It's going to make your trip a totally different experience not having to worry about getting the PCR test."

No idea what he's thinking, but responses like that will just make the gvt think they've done the right thing and will be less likely to be in a hurry to actually improve things

It all depends on your perspective. On the issue of entry to Canada, the travel industry is naturally elated because, not only will more Canadians travel abroad, but this makes entry by US residents so much easier, and they contribute a very significant portion of the tourism dollars spent in Canada. So, while today's changes might not be a vast improvement for you, all those Canadian enterprises that are part of the travel/tourism industry view this as a hugely positive step.

1 hour ago, Djsmrs said:

I read it in the global report.

Here's the phrase I noticed:

As of Feb. 28, a negative rapid antigen or PCR test results will be accepted to meet entry requirements. These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity, meaning doing a test at home won’t work.

And the link:  https://globalnews.ca/news/8619015/new-border-rules-covid/

Also listening to the news they were stressing that the test must be approved in the country you're coming from.   Now - I don't know if that's to ease the minds of travelers worrying that their test won't be accepted because it's not approved in Canada, or???

I agree.

This is how I interpreted that the test needing to be approved in the USA if travelling from the USA.

I guess we need clarification.

54 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's not what Minister Duclos said. He stated that the antigen test "must be authorized by the country in which it was purchased," not by the country in which it is used. So if you buy the test in Canada, you can use it in the US as long as Canada approved the test.

This not only makes sense, but it lets Canadian health authorities make the decision on what tests are approved for its citizens rather than having the US FDA make the decision. 

You are right.

It was also said that the test needs to be approved in the country you are coming from.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It all depends on your perspective. On the issue of entry to Canada, the travel industry is naturally elated because, not only will more Canadians travel abroad, but this makes entry by US residents so much easier, and they contribute a very significant portion of the tourism dollars spent in Canada. So, while today's changes might not be a vast improvement for you, all those Canadian enterprises that are part of the travel/tourism industry view this as a hugely positive step.

Point taken, I fully realize this change is a slight improvement, and many people seem overjoyed at this minor change it brings, though I remain unconvinced that swapping one test for a slightly easier and cheaper one is really THAT much of an improvement. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I was simply trying to say that I was astounded that someone involved in the travel industry could be elated at a change that does absolutely nothing to reduce the risk a Canadian faces when leaving the country of not being able to easily return, which only the elimination of the testing will bring.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

You are right.

It was also said that the test needs to be approved in the country you are coming from.

No, there was no mention of the test needing to be approved by the country you are coming from, only that it be approved by the country where you purchased it.

So, Canadians would have the option of purchasing tests approved by Canada and take it with them to the US, but while in the US they could also purchase and use a made-in-the-USA test approved by the FDA.

3 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Where does it state that. Or are you referring to These tests will need to be administered by a laboratory or health care entity

I watched it earlier today and don't really want to watch it again but I did hear that. Perhaps it was one of the replies to questions.

Guess we'll wait to see what the official written orders are.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Point taken, I fully realize this change is a slight improvement, and many people seem overjoyed at this minor change it brings, though I remain unconvinced that swapping one test for a slightly easier and cheaper one is really THAT much of an improvement. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I was simply trying to say that I was astounded that someone involved in the travel industry could be elated at a change that does absolutely nothing to reduce the risk a Canadian faces when leaving the country of not being able to easily return, which only the elimination of the testing will bring.

I agree. I’m not too excited to still have a chance of getting stuck waiting for a negative test.   They can leave random testing in place but get rid of the testing completely for vaccinated. Crap I am so wanting to cruise but won’t with the risk remaining to be possibly not able to return for up to 11 days. Personal circumstance does not give me that kind of time. 

4 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

I agree. I’m not too excited to still have a chance of getting stuck waiting for a negative test.   They can leave random testing in place but get rid of the testing completely for vaccinated. Crap I am so wanting to cruise but won’t with the risk remaining to be possibly not able to return for up to 11 days. Personal circumstance does not give me that kind of time. 

Agree, this testing is a joke, scrap it! Let people decided where and when they want to leave or come back into their own country!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I hear you, and certainly understand your concern that the changes don't eliminate the problems should you test positive, no matter which test is used. Nevertheless, I think that the travel industry and the GOC are of the opinion that, with decreasing cases on the one hand and triple shots and other preventative measures on the other, there is a decreasing likelihood that travellers will test positive.

In December, we cancelled a March cruise because of our concern over the implications should we  possibly test positive. Two months later, we are still concerned, but less so. Nevertheless, I believe that it would be premature for the GOC to eliminate all pre-entry testing immediately. While we would all like to think that the current, diminishing wave will be the last, that was the mindset when Omicron came along and surprised us all. Better to reduce in stages, I think, than to eliminate testing altogether and then have to start again from scratch should another wave develop. JMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I hear you, and certainly understand your concern that the changes don't eliminate the problems should you test positive, no matter which test is used. Nevertheless, I think that the travel industry and the GOC are of the opinion that, with decreasing cases on the one hand and triple shots and other preventative measures on the other, there is a decreasing likelihood that travellers will test positive.

In December, we cancelled a March cruise because of our concern over the implications should we  possibly test positive. Two months later, we are still concerned, but less so. Nevertheless, I believe that it would be premature for the GOC to eliminate all pre-entry testing immediately. While we would all like to think that the current, diminishing wave will be the last, that was the mindset when Omicron came along and surprised us all. Better to reduce in stages, I think, than to eliminate testing altogether and then have to start again from scratch should another wave develop. JMO

But most restrictions are going to lifted in Canada so I just don’t think it makes sense to have Canadians isolate in US. chances of testing positive will be the same here. JMO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Absolutely agree. I would have preferred that the testing be changed to testing AFTER return though. Let us get back into our own country, then test us. If we're clean, great, if positive then we quarantine until clear.

As an aside, I haven't heard anything today re the "plan" or short term schedule that should have been announced with these changes. IOW, is there any schedule of upcoming revisions/changes, say elimination of testing/loosening of these rules?

1 minute ago, lx200gps said:

Absolutely agree. I would have preferred that the testing be changed to testing AFTER return though. Let us get back into our own country, then test us. If we're clean, great, if positive then we quarantine until clear.

As an aside, I haven't heard anything today re the "plan" or short term schedule that should have been announced with these changes. IOW, is there any schedule of upcoming revisions/changes, say elimination of testing/loosening of these rules?

I think that post-arrival testing would be great idea. It's an option that may have been overlooked.

There was no schedule laid out for future changes. Instead, the Minister indicated that they will continue to assess and reevaluate.

Sadly the news release and ministerial comments are in conflict. This is perhaps why the relevant web pages have not been updated.

Hopefully the news release wording  concerning acceptable test kits will remain, approved in the country of purchase.

Both the day before wording of the news release and the 24 hours prior of the minister's comments are problematic. Day before would impact cruisers that had trouble performing a valid test the day before debarkation. Twenty-four hours can cause problems with flight delays and overnight stays post debarkation. Post arrival testing would resolve these issues, but I can't see it being politically acceptable.

2 hours ago, GrannyGear said:

The difference seems to be you take a rapid/PCR test vs just  PCR prior to boarding. All the travel delay risks are still in place. Very disappointing. 

Since many of us have had Covid recently (even if we didn't know it, and certainly without a positive PCR test as proof) getting a negative antigen test should be easier than a negative PCR test.

23 minutes ago, broberts said:

Twenty-four hours can cause problems with flight delays

This issue was addressed previously with the PCR 72 hour requirement. In both cases, it's 24/72 hours before the scheduled time of your flight. If there are delays with your departure, you are still OK.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

...Nevertheless, I believe that it would be premature for the GOC to eliminate all pre-entry testing immediately. While we would all like to think that the current, diminishing wave will be the last, that was the mindset when Omicron came along and surprised us all. Better to reduce in stages, I think, than to eliminate testing altogether and then have to start again from scratch should another wave develop. JMO

To me, the pre-entry testing for flights makes some sense, but I think there are a couple of things that could be done to help out Canadians (a) Remove the pre-entry test for driving.  If you have a negative test, then you don't have to quarantine, but if you have a positive test, you should be able to drive directly home and quarantine there and (b) Drop the Positive PCR test for flying from 11 to 6 days.  The recognized quarantine is 5 days, so they should work within that restriction.

I'm pretty sure if they did (a), it would kill the Canadian carriers.  Rather than fly from YYZ, everyone would be driving to Buffalo or Detroit.

IMO, the current restrictions should reflect the current situation.  Planning for the next variant doesn't help anyone, they just need to be able to react in a reasonable time frame.

Can someone tell me if I am understanding correctly, and if this plan seems reasonable:

Since I already purchased the Switch PCR test, I plan on still taking that test while on the ship, between 48-72 hours prior to my flight back to Canada.

If PCR test is negative, I'm good to fly using the test result.

If PCR test is positive, I inform ship - I would assume (?) they would want to do their own test to confirm? If their test is PCR and negative, I'm good to travel with THAT result? If their test is antigen and negative, I couldn't use it to travel as it's outside of 24 hours...BUT if I disembark and then take an antigen test (we fly day of disembark) and that is negative, I could use it to fly?

Am I missing something? I could theoretically just keep testing until negative? 

8 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Can someone tell me if I am understanding correctly, and if this plan seems reasonable:

Since I already purchased the Switch PCR test, I plan on still taking that test while on the ship, between 48-72 hours prior to my flight back to Canada.

If PCR test is negative, I'm good to fly using the test result.

If PCR test is positive, I inform ship - I would assume (?) they would want to do their own test to confirm? If their test is PCR and negative, I'm good to travel with THAT result? If their test is antigen and negative, I couldn't use it to travel as it's outside of 24 hours...BUT if I disembark and then take an antigen test (we fly day of disembark) and that is negative, I could use it to fly?

Am I missing something? I could theoretically just keep testing until negative? 

In theory yes.  Depending on the cruise line, they may or may not test you.  There has been a couple of reports where they didn't want to hear about rapid positives.  You may have to say you have symptoms which would mean quarantining on the ship for the rest of your trip.

If you get two positive PCR tests, then you should really quarantine for 5 days (from the first test), as per the CDC, before you get on a plane but there would be nothing to stop you if you have a negative antigen test (and no symptoms).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CKCruising said:

In theory yes.  Depending on the cruise line, they may or may not test you.  There has been a couple of reports where they didn't want to hear about rapid positives.  You may have to say you have symptoms which would mean quarantining on the ship for the rest of your trip.

If you get two positive PCR tests, then you should really quarantine for 5 days (from the first test), as per the CDC, before you get on a plane but there would be nothing to stop you if you have a negative antigen test (and no symptoms).

Thanks - just trying to figure out worst case scenario!

Princess does testing at the pier on disembarking.

if we use the antigen test it will have expired before our departure the next day,

We had deliberately changed our flight home to The following day to 

allow for test protocols .

As things transpire now we may consider getting a PCR and hope that any unknown exposure will not show on this more sensitive test.

Alternatively, we could use the Antigen at the pier and use our Switch health tests later within the 24 hour window.

The Westjet website states that the test can be done the day before travel

While I hope this is true , i believe Canada has always used hours and not days so that is unlikely .