The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

5 minutes ago, maryjaden said:

A question about bringing your own wine on board.  We usually bring a couple of bottles of Caymus with us.  On RCL, they would keep any opened bottles for us and have them the next evening.  Does NCL do the same?  Is there a limit on what you can bring on?  We do have the drink package.

Yes, you can ask to have your wine kept and served later.  No limit of number of bottles.

I forgot to mention, they will give you a "claim ticket."

Edited by ggTexasGal
added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lastingtouch said:

Does anyone know who the concierge is on the Breakaway?  We'll be on for Halloween.

Tough to know.  Their contracts complete at different times.  May be the same as now, but probably 50-50 it will be someone different 6 months from now.  They are all great in my experience, though.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 7:38 PM, Sailing12Away said:

You don't call anyone, at 21 days you have to log into your account and complete the check-in process. You can pick an early time if you want, but you'll be sitting and waiting there until around 11am, so there's really no reason to rush to get through security just to sit and eat a cookie.

I really get frustrated when I see folks constantly saying "just show up whenever" and that your assigned check in time doesn't matter if you're in the Haven. We were denied entrance into the terminal building on 2 different occasions at 2 different ports of call. So yes, it does matter. I will never understand why folks are in such a rush to get there at 9:30 and sit and wait for 2 hours. The cookies and lemon water are really not that great people.

Amen....never could understand it either.  I have showed up early (9:30-ish) because my flight came in early to the embarkation port.  It's a mass of people who just disembarked from the previous cruise along with those who are trying to embark on the current cruise.  We were all wandering around for at least an hour, maybe an hour and a half, just milling around the checkin area.  In the Haven, while I appreciate the lemon water, coffee and cookies, it's still not worth "hanging around" getting there that early.

If you're not in the Haven, you're vying for a seat in the waiting area.  HINT....it's not comfortable and IT IS crowded.

I'm a 12:30-1:30 person.  I get there at that time, miss the big crowd, usually check right in and then board the ship immediately.

• Like 3

Unlike @Sailing12Away and @graphicguy and @RocketMan275 (not sure he's chimed in yet), my husband and I are get there as early as possible kind of cruisers! Sure it means we'll have to sit in the lounge for an hour or so after checking in, but there's coffee, tea, and some light snacks. We usually play Monopoly or some other game on our phone with each other while waiting. Then, when the concierge comes to get us, we're up and among the first group onboard (husband has been the first onboard and that gave him great glee - for no reason other than being first).

We'll hang around the Haven Lounge until the Haven Restaurant opens, then be among the first in there to be served. Used to be American Diner was our go-to, but now it's Haven Restaurant (booo). Anyway, we enjoy a leisurely lunch as it normally isn't too hopping when we get there. It sure does pick up by the time we leave. Next up! It's change into bathing suit time and enjoy the pools, hot tub, and sundeck for several hours. 

It's just such a relaxing way to begin the day! We love it! And, I know this is a weird take (I'm a weird man)...I feel that I paid for a full day onboard, so getting onboard between 11 and 12 (depending on when boarding opens up) helps me maximize the time I'm on the ship. If it were my choice (it isn't), I'd stay onboard until the zero count is in the single digits, but our travel plans usually dictate that we need to get off the ship early, early. 

Here's to beautiful Haven embarkations, however you choose to spend the day!!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruiseny4life said:

Unlike @Sailing12Away and @graphicguy and @RocketMan275 (not sure he's chimed in yet), my husband and I are decidedly get there as early as possible kind of cruisers! Sure it means we'll have to sit in the lounge for an hour or so after checking in, but there's coffee, tea, and some light snacks.

We  used to be arrive at the port as early as possible.  Sometimes even before the doors open.  

Now, we agree with graphic guy.  No need to sit/stand for a couple of hours to board maybe 30 minutes earlier.   

Arrive at 0900, board at 1115.

Arrive at 1100, board at 1130.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

We  used to be arrive at the port as early as possible.  Sometimes even before the doors open.  

Now, we agree with graphic guy.  No need to sit/stand for a couple of hours to board maybe 30 minutes earlier.   

Arrive at 0900, board at 1115.

Arrive at 1100, board at 1130.

DW is always afraid of a last-minute traffic incident which would delay our arrival at the terminal.  On our last cruise, the hotel shuttle broke down and they needed to get a replacement shuttle from another hotel in another nearby city.  We did get there (eventually....) but DW was so stressed that it ruined the whole embarkation day experience.  If this had happened with the last shuttle from the hotel, we might have missed the cruise, so we arrive early and are content to wait around a bit.  Happy wife, happy cruise!  😁 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

How did you find your Aft Suite experience (aside from the night butler)?   We’ll be doing the same in September.  TIA. 😀

That cabin is absolutely beautiful. And that balcony…!!! It was my first time on a cruise with a separate Haven observation lounge. It is also a beautiful space.

Unfortunately, we had inclement weather the entire time. If I could win a huge jackpot for choosing a cruise week with poor weather, I’d be extremely wealthy! I always seem to pick a cruise impacted by a hurricane. We also sailed to the Mexican Riviera (early Oct. 2018), but the cruise was diverted because of weather. We ended up going to San Diego, Ensenada, Mexico and San Francisco. The ship is so amazing that we made the best of it. 

It’s a bit of a hike to the Haven courtyard, but I didn’t find it that prohibitive. 

30 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Amen....never could understand it either.  I have showed up early (9:30-ish) because my flight came in early to the embarkation port.  It's a mass of people who just disembarked from the previous cruise along with those who are trying to embark on the current cruise.  We were all wandering around for at least an hour, maybe an hour and a half, just milling around the checkin area.  In the Haven, while I appreciate the lemon water, coffee and cookies, it's still not worth "hanging around" getting there that early.

If you're not in the Haven, you're vying for a seat in the waiting area.  HINT....it's not comfortable and IT IS crowded.

I'm a 12:30-1:30 person.  I get there at that time, miss the big crowd, usually check right in and then board the ship immediately.

Thank you. We’re embarking in Athens on our next cruise and I was wrestling with the issue of whether to try to tour a bit and board later. I also don’t really like hanging around the Haven boarding area or the Haven Lounge waiting for the cabins to open. (I usually handle dining and entertainment reservations prior to boarding. So, no need for assistance from the concierge on that day).  I’m leaning toward boarding at 1:00pm or so, and having a late lunch. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

DW is always afraid of a last-minute traffic incident which would delay our arrival at the terminal.  On our last cruise, the hotel shuttle broke down and they needed to get a replacement shuttle from another hotel in another nearby city.  We did get there (eventually....) but DW was so stressed that it ruined the whole embarkation day experience.  If this had happened with the last shuttle from the hotel, we might have missed the cruise, so we arrive early and are content to wait around a bit.  Happy wife, happy cruise!  😁 

Don't miss the cruise, call a cab.

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't miss the cruise, call a cab.

Last year, we arranged for a cab to pick us up 6 AM at the Holiday Inn at Palm Beach airport just to take us to the airline terminal there.  It never showed up.  We had an 8AM flight to San Diego and at 6:45, we were able to hitch a ride from a construction worker leaving the hotel.  Cabs aren't always reliable either.  💁‍♂️

50 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Unlike @Sailing12Away and @graphicguy and @RocketMan275 (not sure he's chimed in yet), my husband and I are get there as early as possible kind of cruisers! Sure it means we'll have to sit in the lounge for an hour or so after checking in, but there's coffee, tea, and some light snacks. We usually play Monopoly or some other game on our phone with each other while waiting. Then, when the concierge comes to get us, we're up and among the first group onboard (husband has been the first onboard and that gave him great glee - for no reason other than being first).

We'll hang around the Haven Lounge until the Haven Restaurant opens, then be among the first in there to be served. Used to be American Diner was our go-to, but now it's Haven Restaurant (booo). Anyway, we enjoy a leisurely lunch as it normally isn't too hopping when we get there. It sure does pick up by the time we leave. Next up! It's change into bathing suit time and enjoy the pools, hot tub, and sundeck for several hours. 

It's just such a relaxing way to begin the day! We love it! And, I know this is a weird take (I'm a weird man)...I feel that I paid for a full day onboard, so getting onboard between 11 and 12 (depending on when boarding opens up) helps me maximize the time I'm on the ship. If it were my choice (it isn't), I'd stay onboard until the zero count is in the single digits, but our travel plans usually dictate that we need to get off the ship early, early. 

My wife and I also arrive early. Our last 3-4 cruises we have driven to the port. Since I normally leave for work at 6am to miss traffic we do the same thing going to the cruise port. In NYC we try to arrive at 9am. I would rather be sitting in a terminal bored out of my mind than sitting in backed up traffic Lol

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, maryjaden said:

Thank you all for the information on the Haven.  We just upgraded to the Haven. Our first NCL cruise. We are sailing on the Bliss. We have sailed with RCL in suites for 30 years and we were happy with that until post covid..... A large group from our area is going so we thought we would give it a try. One question I have is that I have read there is a day butler and a night butler. Should I plan on tipping both or is it a pooled tip?

It is not a pooled tip. I asked the Bliss concierge about this when I was adding our tips to our account. We never travel with a lot of cash, and we like to pay for as much as we can by credit card, so we add tips to our onboard account. The concierge actually needs the person’s full name and department so they can add the tip to the correct crew member’s account. The night butler had been delivering hot tea every morning at 5:30 AM, but my husband never caught his name. The concierge was able to look him up so we could tip him. The concierge said the day butlers do not need to “tip out” to the night butler.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Add us to the early bird list!    Even if we are not in the Haven, we get to the port super early and like to be onboard as soon as possible.   This allows us to take care of updated reservations, book the Platinum events, book the entertainment that is available and then have a nice lunch.   This then allows us to spend the rest of the full afternoon in the Vibe as a great start to our vacation.     Sitting in the waiting room for an hour or two or three does not bother us as we all have books and tablets.   For us, it is part of the excitement.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

This is my first post COVID cruise. I remember there was an alternative specialty restaurant that Haven guests could complementary go to on that first day (Margaritaville, and then later American Diner). Is there an alternative? 

29 minutes ago, roddy good boy said:

This is my first post COVID cruise. I remember there was an alternative specialty restaurant that Haven guests could complementary go to on that first day (Margaritaville, and then later American Diner). Is there an alternative? 

There was the American Diner on many ships, but earlier this year it became a complimentary venue for all.  No longer an exclusive lunch for Haven embarkation.  Sadly, no more Lobster rolls on the menu.  However, we did enjoy eating lunch there a couple of times. 

• Thanks 1

If we're flying in the day of, by the time we get off the plane, get our bags, and sort out a transfer to the port it's usually after 10am anyway which works out perfect for us. If we flew in a day early, we want to spend as much time in the local port before getting on the ship - so we've either gone and dropped bags off then walked and wandered (Seattle), or left bags at the hotel desk to wander and then come back for them (Barcelona), or did a private tour that picked us up and let us wander the country before dropping us at the port at the last minute possible (Rome).

For NYC embarkations - I won't even consider calling an Uber until after 11am just to avoid the traffic of getting into the city. We can usually get away with working from home for a half day, then hop in the Uber, and once on board make some last minute conference calls and email checks before sailing away. Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the Haven restaurant, so getting there in time for lunch isn't a value add for me at all.

2 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

Which ship?  Suite / Haven guests on Jewel class ships have one restaurant designated for "suite / haven" breakfast and lunch, but not dinner.  They will tell you which one - it might be Cagney's but it varies.

New question - We will be sailing on the Prima.  One of our party has mobility challenges so we may do more meals in our cabin than normal.  Usually we only do maybe one or two room service meals during dinner.  I really LOVE the fried rice at the teppanyaki style restaurant which is Hasuki on the Prima.  However, since that is the one restaurant I go to every cruise, the show is a bit old.  I wonder if we can order from Hasuki to be served in our suite?  Obviously it would come already cooked 🙂 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

New question - We will be sailing on the Prima.  One of our party has mobility challenges so we may do more meals in our cabin than normal.  Usually we only do maybe one or two room service meals during dinner.  I really LOVE the fried rice at the teppanyaki style restaurant which is Hasuki on the Prima.  However, since that is the one restaurant I go to every cruise, the show is a bit old.  I wonder if we can order from Hasuki to be served in our suite?  Obviously it would come already cooked 🙂 

Meaning - ordering specialty dining for take out?  Do you typically order specialty dining for take out-sent to your cabin? How does that work?

8 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Meaning - ordering specialty dining for take out?  Do you typically order specialty dining for take out-sent to your cabin? How does that work?

When you are in the haven, you can ask the butler to serve your dinner from the main dining room or specialty restaurants.  We haven't done it personally, but know it can be done but we haven't taken advantage of it before.  I do think there needs to be advance notice.  Maybe others can chime in? 

53 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

Which ship?  Suite / Haven guests on Jewel class ships have one restaurant designated for "suite / haven" breakfast and lunch, but not dinner.  They will tell you which one - it might be Cagney's but it varies.

Getaway. I know we can eat at the Haven restaurant, but they used to invite you to eat at Margeritaville or the American dinner free for lunch on the first day.

21 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

When you are in the haven, you can ask the butler to serve your dinner from the main dining room or specialty restaurants.  We haven't done it personally, but know it can be done but we haven't taken advantage of it before.  I do think there needs to be advance notice.  Maybe others can chime in? 

I have had Le Bistro and others served in my suite.  I ask the butler to bring it all at once at a time that is convenient for him.  This was wonderful on a port intensive cruise.  I ate in my pjs after a nice bath.  Heaven. 

Edited by DMH15
Typo