Regent Custom Air-Not

Henry Ford famously said...you can have any color Model T you want as long as it is black.  Well, Regent Custom Air says you can have any flights you want as long as you are willing to pay an extra premium.  My wife and I are booked on the Splendor this coming November, Rome to Barcelona.  This will be our 3rd Mediterranean cruise with Regent Seven Seas.  In the past, Regent Custom Air was able to provide us with our desired flights with no problem.  However, when we called Custom Air yesterday (268 days out) we could not book any of our desired flights.  We were told that Regent did not have any contracted seats in business class for the flights we selected.  But, the same flights were available if we were willing to pay a premium of $3,200 for the round trip tickets.  We declined the offer.  We were able to book flights on less desirable airlines with longer flight times and layovers.  What is going to happen when the time comes to those passengers who did not pay for Custom Air?  Has anyone else had this problem with Regent Custom Air?

We are having such trouble with Regent re our April 10 cruise.  We have included deviation in our fare, but arranging air has been so difficult and confusing that we might just end up cancelling and going with a non-cruise trip. And we are less than 60 days out from sailing!  

Also, a new learning for me today (via my TA) was that if your flight is delayed and you cannot make embarkation in time, that you cannot board the ship at the next (or later) port (apparently due to Covid). I always thought when using Regent air that they would get you to the next port in order to board then ship if your flight was delayed.  apparently this is no longer the case? Perhaps someone here can validate this. 

I’m also wondering why Regent continues to want to fly in guests the same day as the cruise ( excluding Concierge + )? If you can board at the new port when delayed due to flights, then you basically have your cruise cancelled with no chance of joining it, before it ever began. 

This is not likely a Regent problem, but an Airline problem.  I imagine, with the reduced flights schedules, etc. as they ramp back up the contract seats are unavailable on the most desired flights.  I deviated for our May cruise from London to Atlanta on Delta with no problem.   However sometimes you just have to look at alternatives, like 1 stops, etc.   When you call Regent to deviate, have some alternatives available if your first choice is unavailable.  If non-stop on a specific flight is all you will accept, just be prepared to pay an uncharge.   But the title of this thread is quite unfair in my opinion.  If you go on any airline website you can see the cheapest and most expensive flights each day.  If you check the flights with any cruise line you find the same situation.  If you want the most desirable flights they'll cost you more.  Why would you expect Regent to pay for those most desirable flights  at their contract rates?  

• Like 1

One thing I should mention.  I have been a travel agent for 45 years and have almost always booked our own air for various reasons.  But, with the pandemic and cancellations, I find it better to book the cruise line’s air.   If your trip is cancelled, you will get your money back.  If you have booked your own air separately, you have to deal with the airlines in getting your money back, or at least a credit and that can be a hassle.   Say you have a credit on Singapore Air, for example.   You could use this towards a future flight but if you don’t travel a lot, you may never use it and lose the money.  Again, I generally prefer to get our own air but in these times, it may be better to get the cruises’s air…

• Like 4

Hi wcsdkgh,

We had to get flights to Rome for our cruise in November on the Splendor.

As stated no direct flights on Delta from Atlanta. We don’t live in a international airport city so we need to fly to Atlanta.

Regent offered flight from JFK to FCO via

ITA airlines. Not easy for us to fly to JFK .

We opted to pay upcharge enable to fly KLM to Rome with a layover in Amsterdam.

The cost of Business class seats are so expensive and the points now needed are outrageous.

We have a flight this August booked by Regent on a direct Delta flight from Amsterdam to Atlanta. No problem getting that flight. It’s a problem departing from Atlanta to Europe on Delta.

I've been told that Regent no longer has a contract with Delta.  In fact, about the only contract they have in the US is with American.  I was looking at a ranking of all airlines carried out by commercial pilots and American came in dead last.....just below Aeroflot!

Not true. Regent booked my friends on SAS to Stockholm.

Booked me on United/ Lufthansa to Copenhagen. Just offered to book me on

ITA Airlines from JFK to Rome.

I have a Delta flight from Amsterdam  to Atlanta  this August.

Had a Delta/ Virgin Air flight to Heathrow 

last September from Atlanta.

No up charge for those flights.

• Like 2

When dealing with Regent Air be sure you do some research on flights before you need to book.

I prefer to fly out of Atlanta for international travel. I research every airline that flies from Atlanta to my destination. Direct flights and connecting flights with layover times and what airports to connect thru.

So… when Regent denies my first choice I’m prepared to counter offer them.

I even look at other international airports in the USA to see what airlines go to my destination. I’m well prepared when I need to call the air department.

I need to know ALL my options!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, journeyfan said:

I've been told that Regent no longer has a contract with Delta.  In fact, about the only contract they have in the US is with American.  I was looking at a ranking of all airlines carried out by commercial pilots and American came in dead last.....just below Aeroflot!

I believe American has a terrible rating among pilots because they treat their pilots poorly whereas spirit treats pilots great but I prefer to stay off spirit. ( I have two sons that are pilots)

3 hours ago, journeyfan said:

About a week ago Regent booked us on United from Austin to Tel Aviv in June and on Delta on the return from Venice.

I live 20 minutes from EWR and have status with United,  so as much as I don’t love them, I do fly them.   We love first/business on the way there,  don’t really care how we fly home.   Hence,  I took the air credit to Stockholm of $2500 each and booked a direct flight on United in business and premium economy on the way back for less than $2000 each.   I could also get upgraded and I earn status for the year.     I’m fine with finding our way to a hotel (we always fly in days early).   

On 2/16/2022 at 5:40 AM, alidor said:

One thing I should mention.  I have been a travel agent for 45 years and have almost always booked our own air for various reasons.  But, with the pandemic and cancellations, I find it better to book the cruise line’s air.   If your trip is cancelled, you will get your money back.  If you have booked your own air separately, you have to deal with the airlines in getting your money back, or at least a credit and that can be a hassle.   Say you have a credit on Singapore Air, for example.   You could use this towards a future flight but if you don’t travel a lot, you may never use it and lose the money.  Again, I generally prefer to get our own air but in these times, it may be better to get the cruises’s air…

We have our TA work our air and we almost always deviate so we can get our air through Regent, know our flights early and have some input on flights.  For our recent cruise cancellation (our air was through Regent) it was so very easy for us.  No issue about cancelling anything (air, transfer, hotel).  We fly out of Dallas, so usually on AA, but we have been well taken care of in business class, one missed connection we were met as we got off the plane with someone that had our reservation replacement already made and helped us through security and to the gate.  This just gives us less things to take care of.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

I personally don’t think Regent Air is good when flights require layovers. They don’t seem to know what it entails to change planes in Europe.

Time needed especially when having to change terminals. Beware! Do your homework. 

LHR is horrible!  Even flying in BA first class, barely made a 3 hr connection time to Munich.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrstanley said:

I personally don’t think Regent Air is good when flights require layovers. They don’t seem to know what it entails to change planes in Europe.

Time needed especially when having to change terminals. Beware! Do your homework. 

It always pays to do your homework.  If we use Regent Air, we always deviate, and regardless, we always study layovers very carefully.

• Like 1

I'd rather Regent provide a portal where I could review options, including customizations before committing.  The current system is grossly outdated, based on the limited exposure I've had so far having to convey our requests through the Regent agent to even explore what-if scenarios.

1 hour ago, pnsnkr said:

I'd rather Regent provide a portal where I could review options, including customizations before committing.  The current system is grossly outdated, based on the limited exposure I've had so far having to convey our requests through the Regent agent to even explore what-if scenarios.

Funny, I don't see how that would work.  As it is, the onus is on the customer, us, to do our homework and pick an itinerary that we like (or have a TA do the research for us.)  I have no problem with that system.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Funny, I don't see how that would work.  As it is, the onus is on the customer, us, to do our homework and pick an itinerary that we like (or have a TA do the research for us.)  I have no problem with that system.

It could be very simple put in your request point a to point b or any stopovers and the systems gives you the added cost.  There might be some complex ones that require an agent. Say you go from dallas to venice.    Route 1 american via PHL  and the flights (included) route 2 delta via ATL  (included) route 3 KLM (+$250) via AMS   route 4 Iberia via MAD (+$300).....