Ladies do you wear tights on formal nights?

Tikka234

No, I have not worn tights for more than ten years now.

I used to take a few pairs of tights for every cruise, but never wore them, so I do not even bother taking them now.  I wear a mix of trousers, dresses and summer skirts, some of which are just below knee length, but any dresses I wear on formal nights tend to be at least calf length.  I always wear sandals in the evenings on all cruises - comfy ones with low heels.  I have a silver coloured pair and a gold coloured pair, which match with my jewelry, or I just wear a good pair of black leather standard sandals, if I am feeling particularly casual, usually because we have returned to the ship late, or intend going ashore after dinner.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

There is nothing remotely glamorous about tights. They came into fashion with the miniskirt for obvious reasons, I wore them but hated them. In the early 60's I wore stockings and suspenders and they felt very feminine. 

Avril

stockings and suspenders are mainly for the bedroom now! 

I don’t wear tights with a dress and don’t particularly care what my legs look like. Not sure many people notice and I only wear dresses a few nights on a cruise. I wear heels but cannot walk in them at all. Least I can kiss hubby without tippie toes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

There is nothing glamorous about corned beef legs either if you are unlucky enough to have them! 

My legs are getting some visible veins/blotches with age, but age is also making me less bothered about that anyway.  As all my summer skirts/dresses are below knee length and not tight fitting, I very much doubt anyone would notice TBH.

I always wear trousers at home, but in a tropical climate prefer not to, unless they are loose cotton ones to help avoid mossy bites.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, amajaa said:

I wear tights otherwise will probably get blisters on my feet.

Can I ask please ( being an oldie) is wearing tights not fashionable now? As I have seen or heard derogatory comments about tights recently. 

They are probably not fashionable but I wear them because they conceal the veins that are starting to show on my legs (which are not a pretty sight) as I have got older.  I tend not to wear them so much during the summer especially if I have a long dress on.

Same as many here, I hate tights and don’t wear them much. On summer cruises I don’t wear them but we’ve been on a couple of winter ones and then I’ve worn flash coloured tights to hide my white legs! I wear trousers most non formal nights.

• Like 1

When I asked if tights had gone out of fashion I wasn't concerned about whether I was unfashionable as I would rather be that than have sore feet. I do sometimes wear knee highs ( remember we used to call them pop socks, my kids laughed at me when I called them that) under long dresses on a cruise if in warm climates and the dress hasn't got a split up it. I have to wear with cocktail dresses though although having not worn heels since before Covid hit I might just wear pretty sandals and no tights if warm, but next cruise is to Norway. 😀😀🚢

• Like 1

Thank you for all your replies, I do have smart trousers and sparkly tops but brought 2 dresses (knee lenght) for my next cruise( which was going in 2020) in April to Spain and 

Portugal my legs are white at the moment as wear jeans hopefully we'll get a bit of sun before we go 

Does look like tights are no longer work as my daughter told me.

Enjoyed reading all your comments 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dobbers said:

Hi, going on Iona tomorrow 🥳 and I’m taking tights due to pasty white winter legs. I can guarantee however that after a couple of drinks and that sinking crotch feeling they will be removed and in my bag 😳

Oh how I remember that feeling. I would spend half the evening in the ladies adjustng my tights, and everything else they tried to drag down with them.  Not a good look, especially  when wearing a miniskirt😁

Have a lovely cruise.

Avril

I think that getting the right shade is important. Remember American Tan ladies?!  I’ve been told that there are some sheer ones available now which make you appear as if you’re not wearing any tights, but give the legs a smooth appearance. I sound like an expert but I’m not - having not worn tights since late last century! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, amajaa said:

When I asked if tights had gone out of fashion I wasn't concerned about whether I was unfashionable as I would rather be that than have sore feet. I do sometimes wear knee highs ( remember we used to call them pop socks, my kids laughed at me when I called them that) under long dresses on a cruise if in warm climates and the dress hasn't got a split up it. I have to wear with cocktail dresses though although having not worn heels since before Covid hit I might just wear pretty sandals and no tights if warm, but next cruise is to Norway. 😀😀🚢

I still call them pop socks 🤣

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I never wear tights but the wife does on occasions 😁

On an RC ship I wore a belt with my formal suit. An American gent told me he always wore suspenders. Didn't want to know that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I never wear tights but the wife does on occasions 😁

Frank's worn tights....... under his leathers when we were bikers. A lot of bikers did, but whether they'll admit to it is another thing altogether😊

Avril

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank's worn tights....... under his leathers when we were bikers. A lot of bikers did, but whether they'll admit to it is another thing altogether😊

Avril

I’ll never forget going to a friend’s house when I was a teenager and seeing her father use hairspray! She thought it perfectly normal and that all men did! Made me laugh. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

hubby wears long john’s and I wear leggings but only when it’s cold under our jeans. Can’t fit my fat behind into leathers! 😆 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

hubby wears long john’s and I wear leggings but only when it’s cold under our jeans. Can’t fit my fat behind into leathers! 😆 

I'm going back to 1960's - 1980's here. Leathers are the safest motorbike all weather gear. Better to be safe than sorry vamps.

Avril