Ladies do you wear tights on formal nights?

Tikka234

I bought some,Heist tights think £48 for 3 pairs as worn by Duchess Catherine. They are very light and sheer, and reinforced in the right places 😛so i can see why royalty prefer them on all the visits and people meeting they do. Normally wear first few nights of cruise until legs get a bit of colour. Hth 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I think that getting the right shade is important. Remember American Tan ladies?!  I’ve been told that there are some sheer ones available now which make you appear as if you’re not wearing any tights, but give the legs a smooth appearance. I sound like an expert but I’m not - having not worn tights since late last century! 

Hi. I remember the American tan as well 😄. I have been buying my sheer tights from The Tight Spot on line. They seem to have a great selection at a fair price. I bought 6 pairs of 10 denier nude colour specifically for cruises about 3 years ago, and I am still using them. No ladders or holes (yet). I paid under £8 per pair at the time. I checked them last night, as we are off on another cruise this month. Still good.

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm going back to 1960's - 1980's here. Leathers are the safest motorbike all weather gear. Better to be safe than sorry vamps.

Avril

Yes I get you. 
they are Kevlar armoured jeans so best protection I can get into really. 
can’t wait for summer to ride to skeggy. Really enjoyed it through market rasen and Louth. 

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank's worn tights....... under his leathers when we were bikers. A lot of bikers did, but whether they'll admit to it is another thing altogether😊

Avril

I have but thats another story 🤣. Seriously when I did my 26 nt Outward Bound course in Ullswater in 1976 we were sent a list of items to take with us and top of the list was tights. Recommend them for anyone walking in very cold conditions under your trousers. Just have to hope and pray you never fall or taken ill as you might get a few strange looks at the hospital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Yes I get you. 
can’t wait for summer to ride to skeggy. Really enjoyed it through market rasen and Louth. 

I miss our biking days, so I envy you. We're Speedway fans,(Halifax Dukes) and would travel to away meetings whenever we could. Happy memories.

Avril

I don’t wear tights on my legs but I did wear them over my face when salmon fishing on the Tay. Stopped the midges biting!

For the uninitiated the Great Highland Midge is a nasty, all pervading beast that bites any area of skin not protected. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm going back to 1960's - 1980's here. Leathers are the safest motorbike all weather gear. Better to be safe than sorry vamps.

Avril

Still are.  Got knocked off a few years back, wearing Belstaff leather jeans.  They weren't cut off me like the textile jacket was.  The jeans lasted me a few more years!

4 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Still are.  Got knocked off a few years back, wearing Belstaff leather jeans.  They weren't cut off me like the textile jacket was.  The jeans lasted me a few more years!

The belstaff shop at Gunwharf quay has a very nice Triton in the window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I miss our biking days, so I envy you. We're Speedway fans,(Halifax Dukes) and would travel to away meetings whenever we could. Happy memories.

Avril

It’s took me a while to get back into it cos of the kids and I’m only a good weather biker now lol. 
I did miss it all them years we weren’t riding. 
still don’t go out on my own though much as I feel better with hubby on his bike behind me in case something happens rather than when he’s at work and wouldn’t be able to get to me.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Hi sis,I'm assuming you were in the same era as me.I never missed a meeting at West Ham in 2 years in my early teens.Ken McKinley was our captain.You guys had Eric Boothroyd and Eric Boocock,proper old Yorkshire names I think.bro.PS I wont tell anyone the leader of the pack wore "fishnets".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Yes I get you. 

Hi Vamps,our niece and her partner wear hitec leathers with some sort of built in air bags that go off if you fall off.Never heard of them until she told me.Cheers,Brian.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hi sis,I'm assuming you were in the same era as me.I never missed a meeting at West Ham in 2 years in my early teens.Ken McKinley was our captain.You guys had Eric Boothroyd and Eric Boocock,proper old Yorkshire names I think.bro.PS I wont tell anyone the leader of the pack wore "fishnets".

Morning bro. I hope you survived yesterday in tact.

We began going to the speedway just towards the end of the two Eric B's era, and into Rick France's captaincy. The noise of the bikes, the smell of the methanol, there's nothing like it. We stopped going in the the mid 80's when The Shay closed.

Mum got us into speedway, she had always been a huge fan. She first went to West Ham and also Wembley in the late 1920's and saw the likes of Lionel Van Praag, Ronnie Moore and Dent Oliver. When she died and we were sorting things out I found an old autograph book, carefully wrapped, with their and other riders signatures, also a photo of her wearing a 1920's dress astride a speedway bike. I saw a whole new side to my staid Mum with that picture, I can tell you. 😉

Sis

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Morning bro. I hope you survived yesterday in tact.

We began going to the speedway just towards the end of the two Eric B's era, and into Rick France's captaincy. The noise of the bikes, the smell of the methanol, there's nothing like it. We stopped going in the the mid 80's when The Shay closed.

Mum got us into speedway, she had always been a huge fan. She first went to West Ham and also Wembley in the late 1920's and saw the likes of Lionel Van Praag, Ronnie Moore and Dent Oliver. When she died and we were sorting things out I found an old autograph book, carefully wrapped, with their and other riders signatures, also a photo of her wearing a 1920's dress astride a speedway bike. I saw a whole new side to my staid Mum with that picture, I can tell you. 😉

Sis

All more or less back to normal here sis.My interest in speedway wained in the late 60s when they demolished the stadium and we weren't ever the same team.Good old days while they lasted,bro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I remember American Tan very well! I don’t wear tights now, but do wear leg make-up. You can get a good result if you wanted to wear a shorter length dress or skirt! 
For maxi dress I wouldn’t bother, just wear cute sandals and painted nails. 
I wear dressy trousers and sparkly tops too, hence, no tights. 

• Like 2

For my fellow Americans who think that "tights" are heavy and dark, I'd like to add that they are what we call "pantihose".  And to answer the original question, yes, I do wear them on a cruise any evening I wear a skirt or dress, unless it's floor-length.  Alternately, I sometimes wear skintone fishnet tights, the kind the dancers wear.  Their stretch comes from the more open weave, rather than a high amount of lycra, so they don't bag, but don't compress, either.

I'm chuckling at the reference to American Tan.  I wonder if that's similar to what we used to wear for aerobics classes, with our bright pink leotards and leg warmers: heavy, shiny, and quite a dark tan, lol.

• 1 month later...

For me it depends on the dress and the shoes. Though having said that I an count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've worn tights in the last half dozen years. I do sometimes wear trouser socks or knew highs with dress pqnts since some of my shoes need something to be comfortable for extended periods.

• 3 weeks later...

i absolutely do not wear them. it brings forth a memory of being forced to wear them when i waited tables when i was younger. it was an added expense that the men didnt have to deal with. 

Pantyhose are a horrible invention. everyone will either deal with my white legs or look away.🤪

• 4 months later...

With sandals or other open-toe shoes, never. If it's cold I may wear them under slacks or with a dress; If I do, I always wear enclosed shoes. With dresses, I buy good quality hose that are thin and very neutral beige to be transparent on the legs. Quality and good fit are crucial (I wear them so infrequently the cost doesn't unreasonably add up). Cheap hose don't fit well and look awful.