Ladies do you wear tights on formal nights?

Tikka234

Hi I haven't done formal before just smart trousers and top. Going to Spain and Portugal in April and brought a couple knee length dresses ( haven't worn a dress for years) so not sure what ladies wear now do you still wear tights  or bare legs as it's early in the year my legs haven't seen the sun so looking quite white. Have court style shoes can't wear heels. 

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

I try not to wear fight clothes at all but on formal nights I wear dresses similar  to those that I would wear to a wedding,  I also have a couple of evening jumpsuits.  I used to take long dresses but I don't bother now.  Lots of ladies wear dark coloured trousers with sparkly tops and look lovely. 

Don't  worry about other people, you probably won't meet them again, remember that it is your holiday so wear what you feel comfortable in.

I find that Roman are pretty good for my cruise clothes at reasonable prices.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Hi I haven't done formal before just smart trousers and top. Going to Spain and Portugal in April and brought a couple knee length dresses ( haven't worn a dress for years) so not sure what ladies wear now do you still wear tights  or bare legs as it's early in the year my legs haven't seen the sun so looking quite white. Have court style shoes can't wear heels. 

Thanks

Hi.  I wear tights (flesh coloured and 10 denier) with knee length smart / cocktail dresses in the evening and these are teamed up with court shoes. I only pack 1 black patent pair of courts.

For long evening dresses, bare legs, as it looks better with evening sandals. For trousers in the evening, if smart casual, I tend to wear flesh coloured 'knee highs if I am wearing court shoes. If I am wearing strappy sandals with trousers in  the evening, no knee highs.  

54 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Thanks

Just be comfortable.
I wear black trousers or a longer length skirt/dress the first few evenings  and once legs are less white - i expose them to the world!

I cannot wear heels either - again, comfort is essential.

• Like 2

• Host Sharon changed the title to Ladies do you wear tights on formal nights?
54 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Thanks

I would say it depends on  what is more comfortable with your shoes. I have some shoes that are too snug without tights and others that I can't wear tights with or I'd slip out of them. Be comfortable, you'll enjoy the evening more! I'm sure no one will judge you for wearing or not wearing tights or the colour of your legs.

A few years ago I wore heels a lot but I'm out of parctice now (other than wearing them to do the ironing!)  so have bought some low wedge blingy sandals to wear in the evenings incase I can't manage the heels. 

• Like 2

I tend to take some of the knee length dresses I’ve bought to attend weddings etc on cruises otherwise I’d never wear them!  I would generally wear tights with those especially if  I am wearing court shoes. With long dresses or trousers I’m more likely to have bare legs especially if I’m wearing sandals. 

• Like 1

I never wear dresses/skirts so I don’t have the problem and I would never ever wear tights under trousers.

To be frank, in answer to the question, I think it depends on the state of ones legs! Tights can be good to hide unsightly lumps and bumps or discoloured/uneven skin tone. 

• Like 1

I never wear tights as they are warm and uncomfortable (for me anyway) in hotter climates so I tend to wear below the knee dresses with bare legs and comfortable shoes.

Formal nights I usually have on something full length so my leg as are covered and if the shoes need it the little in shoe liners to stop rubbing.

Wear whatever you are comfortable with and as for your legs, no one should be looking at them anyway 😀.

• Like 6

I haven't worn tights for years. They must be the most uncomfortable item of women's clothing ever. I  usually take some evening trousers and mix it up with dressy tops or jackets and a camisole. I do have one long evening dress that I take though.  It's your holiday and the most important thing is that you feel comfortable and relaxed.  Enjoy your formal nights aboard and have fun. 

Avril

• Like 4

Josy1953 - I love your 'fight clothes'!!   Though I have seen men having a fight in a bar on a formal night (Fred Olsen).

I agree that if you like  trousers, these - probably black generally - with various dressy and/or sparkly tops is perfectly suitable for any ship formal night, and no need for tights.  Shoes can equally be heels, sandals, or ballet flats; mine are black patent.  It is interesting how men's wear for formal has now become on many lines a suit or even jacket or blazer, the days of obligatory dinner jacket have mostly gone.

I am an oldie,  and I  find tights uncomfortable and not necessary nowadays, with knee highs etc. if needed.  As I never wear a skirt nowadays, bare legs or fairly sheer or black socks are enough.

I think they have gone out of fashion; the younger women who like to be glam wear hold ups or stockings and suspenders!

To be honest amajaa, I don’t worry about whether they are fashionable or not. I have several knee length autumn/winter dresses (not cruise clothes) and I always wear fine black tights with them. They would look so wrong without them. If you are comfortable with what you wear that’s all that matters.

• Like 3

All the girls in their 20s in my family wear black tights in the winter as they seem to enjoy wearing winter season dresses and skirts. But they never wear tights in the warmer months and neither would they wear tights with a lightweight dress to a wedding, even in the winter. Then again, they have nice slim legs! So I think that dark tights are fashionable, less so the lighter colours. 
I think it all depends on the legs in question. That’s why I stick to trousers and dressy tops! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I think they have gone out of fashion; the younger women who like to be glam wear hold ups or stockings and suspenders!

There is nothing remotely glamorous about tights. They came into fashion with the miniskirt for obvious reasons, I wore them but hated them. In the early 60's I wore stockings and suspenders and they felt very feminine. 

Avril

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

There is nothing remotely glamorous about tights. They came into fashion with the miniskirt for obvious reasons, I wore them but hated them. In the early 60's I wore stockings and suspenders and they felt very feminine. 

Avril

I might occasionally wear thick black ones in the winter, but it’s bare legs or trousers for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, amajaa said:

I wear tights otherwise will probably get blisters on my feet.

Can I ask please ( being an oldie) is wearing tights not fashionable now? As I have seen or heard derogatory comments about tights recently. 

I'm an 'oldie' too and don't bother about what's 'in fashion', I wear what I like, what I think I look nice in, and what I'm comfortable in.

I don't like or wear tights because I'm personally very uncomfortable in them. If you're comfortable wearing tights then wear them. This is about you and your personal fashion style, not what others say it should be. We're all individual, and that's how it should be. I mean, who wants to look like everyone else anyway?

Avril

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Last time I was in tights I ended up doing ten years oops shouldn't have said that, my beloved always says another item of clothing designed for women by men

Serves you right for wearing them over your head.😁

Avril

• Haha 4

I don't normally wear skirts or dresses. The only time I wear dresses are either for a wedding or on a cruise, so they get an airing! With long dresses I don't wear tights and the only occasion I wear them is if it is winter. To stop my shoes rubbing I wear socklets. On our last cruise I took tights, but didn't wear them. As others have said, at the end of the day  it is a matter of choice and what you feel comfortable with.

• Like 2