The Daily for Thursday 02/17/2022

richwmn

Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day, National PTA Founders Day, and National Public Science Day

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.--douglas adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Meal Suggestion for today - Mexican Steak Fajitas
Drink of the Day - Red Velvet Cake Martini
Wine of the Day - O'Shaughnessy 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (Mount Veede
Destination of the Day - Flam, Norway

Ships With Passengers

Amber Cove, Dominicana, Puerto Plata

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay eta 2/28

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Ensenada MX

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Eurodam   08:00 - 15:00

Panama Canal

Zuiderdam   05:00 - 05:00

Willemstad, Curacao Island, Dutch Antilles

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 23:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Limassol CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

0217World.thumb.png.26353f9fd7364956e30d4f86e009e59e.png
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love the days.  Every day should be Random Acts of Kindness.  A big thank you to the PTA Founders.  Science is very important and needs to be appreciated.

Love the quote and Douglas Adams.

Dinner sounds good.  The drink sounds like dessert.🙂  Hope the wine is tasty and not too expensive.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Flam.  We've been to Norway, but not Flam.

We had rain overnight, and I think it's ice pellets coming down now, turning to snow later.  Ugh.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great cruise @rafinmd

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the getaway (for me) Daily, Rich.  A great selection of days, especially Random Acts of Kindness.  Been to Norway but not to Flam.  The quote sounds appropriate for embarkation day.  I may have steak but it will be regular steak.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Jose’s blood tests

Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri medical tests in Jacksonville
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Grapau27 friend with possible Meningitis but responding to treatment
Tana to be discharged still with poor prognosis
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
Cruzin single with symptomatic covid
From the rotation:
Vict0riann’s Cousin with ALS and DH with Alzheimers
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

6 BHB with passengers
Full price log home offer for USN59-79
Quartzite cruiser with pending cruise (not sure when)
3 Days for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to 2/27)
2 days for DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to 2/19 to 3/8)
My getaway day (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
0106 {Zuiderdam to 2/27),  ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20), kb4683  (Regal Princess to 2/19),  and Lady Hudson(Enchantment OTS to 2/25)at sea
HorizonChaser1957 in Palm Springs
Clean bone scan for irishjim
Cunnorl DS in remission
CDC lowering of cruise warning level
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thank you for the reports.  We have been to Norway but not Flam. We are scheduled to be there this August on a 14 day cruise out of Amsterdam. In Flam, we are planning on taking the train up and walking down the almost 13 miles. I guess that means I better get out of bed and hit the treadmill now.  I regularly do 6 miles, but 13 is really long - at least it’s not uphill. 

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  I like the days today especially random acts of kindness.  I like today’s quote as well.  Fajitas sound like a nice option.  I haven’t been to Flåm and looking forward to seeing the photos, we were supposed to visit there last May but we all know how that went.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.  Thankfully the celebrations list is longer than the prayer list.

• Like 28

Thanks for the Thursday Daily, Rich.

What a great collection of days.  All worthy of celebration 👍 If I were to pick one, it would be random acts of kindness.  I agree with @puppycanducruise and believe it should be celebrated every day.

I like the Adams quote and yum on the meal suggestion for today.  A velvet cake martini?  Sounds pretty rich.

We were supposed to be in Flam this May but that went down the tubes, hopefully in 2023 and for now, I’ll look forward to everyone’s pics with hope and anticipation.

@cruzn single so sorry to hear the results on your covid test 😔 Hope it is very mild case & you are feeling much better VERY soon 🤞 

@rafinmdtoday is the big day. 👍 You’ve had a long wait for a cruise and a good time is overdue for you - Bon Voyage 🚢  I bet when you get back you will be feeling like this:

21AE5CDF-973B-44CC-AE25-64F5796B7D39.thumb.jpeg.6c83eae1532f731d26e269bc85dbb3c9.jpeg

@ger_77when I saw this yesterday, I thought of your “plonk” 😉 

DA71B288-65EA-49BC-AC99-67A649A44068.jpeg.867402a02024a94ed8108dd35f109cbb.jpeg

M & M (Marley & Me) were up very early at 5 am.  The noise from the winds outside was so loud, neither of us could sleep.  Watching my trees to see if it is going to calm down or not.  Wasn’t supposed to be severe winds until later 😔 

loved the cat stories of answering phones & turning on electronics so returning the smile to them they gave to me:

CA2D6538-95E1-437C-8E45-B82040068A7F.jpeg.608ea2ae29633d76ff661f434bddfdcf.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday everyone !!!!!!

AED3D48C-A28F-4891-A079-5B715376BB07.thumb.jpeg.6ce21e841b6ed2f2110e00c1e7ff8ddc.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

Good morning from SW Florida, another day in the 80s coming up.

I try to be kind to everyone I meet but sometimes it’s really

hard.

I like Steak Fajitas but Chicken is better.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Thanks for The Daily.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 29

Good morning Daily friends!  It's a deceptively warm morning in NJ at 54 degrees, with temps expected to get over 60 by mid-day...but what lies ahead is an evening with a likely strong storm with high winds.  I'll do my best to get out of the office and safely home before it all starts.

My 'grandbaby radar' is high right now, and every time my phone buzzes I wonder..."Is this it?".  All was good at my daughter's appointment yesterday, but nothing starting yet...so we wait.  

I am a big fan of RAK and do my best to make someone's day a little easier when I can.  Never a fan of the PTA - at least when my kids were school-age it felt more political and as if many of the parents who ran the organizations seemed to be in it for themselves than the kids.  It almost feels like in the two years of this pandemic, every day has been public science day based on what we've seen on the news.  

Love a good steak fajita, the martini sounds too sweet for me but interested to hear about the wine.

Today's quote is a good one...I like to think it helps us understand that we don't always control our own destiny, and need to let life happen to truly discover what our purpose is meant to be.

So good to see many folks getting ready to head off on cruises - I hope you all have a wonderful time and can't wait to hear about your travels.

Hope everyone has a good day today!!

• Like 33

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Bon voyage, Roy! Morning all.

Another lovely morning here. Already in the mid 60s.

Getting ready for an early contractor who is just going to paint a couple of metal pieces installed by my roofer to match the house or trim color. I really appreciate my roofer more and more each day. Some people have had less than wonderful experiences. Then off to the gym. 

The animal series continues…

Penguin daycare

3A75DB45-B387-454C-9A63-DF205C55EEF3.jpeg.76485901e8e4354530c7adef9bc782fb.jpeg

E2494CCA-CCC9-4FAE-9991-01ACBC4B46F5.jpeg.c06efcfa7740799ecc252f71232aae96.jpeg

8242B238-FD6F-40B2-84C3-AAAE6BA6B4E5.jpeg.0e04b66dc2351f87391c0322bcc619ce.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This Napa Cab’s excellent - superb ratings justify a much larger price tag. Though still a bit out of my budget range, I found it for $64.89 online. You might be able to find it for less locally. 

Winemaker Notes

This is a classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon with an opaque purple color and perfumed aromas of blackberry compote, orange blossom, cassis, creme brulee, and cocoa. On the palate the wine is plush and concentrated with well-integrated tannins and a vibrant finish. Lush enough to be consumed now and structured enough to hold for decades thanks to the mountain heritage of this beautiful wine. 

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

This is such an outstanding wine at any price, but here we're talking about outstanding value as well. Notes of iron and crushed rock lead to a lengthy balance of juicy red fruit and clove. With small amounts of Merlot, Malbec, Saint-Macaire and Cabernet Franc, it shows a deft hand at blending, with lasting notes of black pepper and nuanced oak. Editors’ Choice.

JS93 James Suckling

This has aromas of dried blueberries, currants, chocolate, sandalwood and black tea. It’s full-bodied with firm, tight-grained tannins. Rich in flavor with a saline edge on the finish. Try from 2022.

V93 Vinous

The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) is such a classy wine. Rich, opulent and generous, the 2018 is a fabulous choice for drinking now and over the next decade or so. Black cherry, plum, spice, new leather, chocolate and licorice are all kicked up in this boisterous Cabernet from O'Shaughnessy. Best after 2023.

D92 Decanter
A decadent, dark and sweet nose of blackberry syrup, charred pine needles and cocoa. A wonderfully plush, concentrated and clear palate, swinging into a high-toned, very dry, sturdy but vibrant finish. Lush enough to be consumed now, but structured enough to hold for the next decade or so. 91% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 3% Malbec, 2% Saint Macaire.
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

Good morning,

I really like today's days.  All very good things to improve life.  My mother used to tell us something similar to the quote.  The meal sounds wonderful.  We've not been to today's destination.

All our cruisers, have a fabulous time.

Major prayers going out to our list, and all of us.  Hopefully the stress of the last 2 years is beginning to diminish.  Toasts to our celebrations.

@cruzn singlehope it is a mild case.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance where you can, and wear your mask.

Red Velvet Cake Martini:

Ingredients
3 Shots 4.5 oz. Whipped Cream Vodka
1 Shot 1.5 oz. Creme De Cocoa
1 Tbsp. Red Velvet Cake Mix
4 Shots of Whole Milk 6 oz.
1 C. Ice
Optional Garnishment: Cream Cheese Icing
Note: You can substitute 2% or Skim Milk for a lighter option.
Instructions
Prepare martini glasses by dipping rims in cream cheese icing.
Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake for around 30 seconds.
Strain into martini glasses.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 12.24.21 PM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Good morning!  Happy Thursday!  We were in Flam in 2019, photos aren’t on fairly new ipad - actually I have never taken a photo with it - I use it for reading newspapers, daily reports, emails, etc.  I will need to start using camera.

best wishes to all!

• Like 24

Good morning! Currently 63 and a forecasted high of 73 degrees. Though rough weather is in forecast for later today and this evening.

Our two year old granddaughter will be staying home with her Dad and now just daughter and six year old granddaughter will be coming. Of course Dad is worried about his gals traveling later today in inclement weather. Two year old still has low grade temp and did test negative for Covid. The Day Care crud!

Those steak fajitas sound tasty along with a top shelf margarita but that’s not in the making

Thanks Rich and Roy I again wish you a hearty Bon Voyage!

Have a great day everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

It is warm here and the melt down continues.  Rain is expected at any time and it will be raining hard throughout the day followed by rapidly falling temperatures tonight.  

Today's meal looks scrumptious.  I could do these with low carb tortillas.  Better make them soon as avocados and limes are going to skyrocket in price.  

Tender-Beef-Fajitas.thumb.jpg.45ddf231decfc798f4521b8876c0916d.jpg

These look too good to pass up.  Sometimes I do the filling and leave off the tortilla completely.  You can use a cheaper cut of meat.  Flank steak is recommended and here are some tips for getting it as tender as possible:

If your beef fajitas are chewy, it is likely because you cut the steak in the wrong direction, or because you didn’t give it time to properly marinade.

Cut the Beef Against the Grain. Slicing meat against the grain helps tenderize it. By looking closely at the steak, you’ll be able to see the direction the grain is running. Make your cuts perpendicular to it (this rule applies if you are making chicken fajitas too).

Marinade with an Acid. Acids like citrus juice or vinegar tenderize meat by breaking down its fibers. Even 30 minutes of marinade time makes a difference. Don’t skip it!

https://www.wellplated.com/beef-fajitas/

1195136595_Mexicansteakfajitas4.thumb.jpg.89b24e09af511f497661acc760650a2c.jpg

What is traditionally served with fajitas?

Homemade guacamole, Spanish rice or refried beans are fantastic (and traditional!) fajita side dishes. Any of these authentic Mexican dishes would pair well, too!  And, for those who prefer chicken to steak, feel free to substitute!   This next recipe is a little different as it uses orange juice rather than lime.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mexican-steak-fajitas/

1193545027_Mexicansteakfajitas1.jpg.e587e289ebd933d87af4d8ac688b45b1.jpg

When it comes to the fajitas, a lot depends on the marinade you use for the meat.  An acid marinade can help break down tough fibers in a cheap cut of meat.  The marinade also infuses great flavor to the meat and that can make or break the fajita.  This one uses pineapple juice!   https://littlespicejar.com/the-best-steak-fajitas/

508407361_Mexicansteakfajitas2.thumb.jpg.8977739f26373f7ecf2f330a4e746188.jpg

Ok, now I'm hungry!   Prayers for those in need and cheers to those celebrating.  Prayers for all the new COVID cases, but a prayer of thankfulness that the dominant variant is mild for those who are vaccinated.  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  It is warm right now at 49 degrees with scary high winds coming this afternoon. We look at the very old neighborhood trees with suspicion these days.

We have been to Norway but not to Flam and look forward to pictures.I salute the days and like the quote.The recipe sounds good as well.

I made the chicken tinga and failed to take a picture but it was very tasty.I had vegetarian  chili in the freezer to appease the non carnivores.

@cruzn single I hope your case is a mild one and that you are soon feeling better.

@kazu, thanks for the laughs. I am  thinking of you and  Jose  as well as Marley and hope the storm is not too awful. 

A picture of Fred after his makeover  from shaggy dog to handsome  guy

20220216_094343.jpg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone from an expected warm 65 today and then a rain and wind storm tonight. Great collection of days , especially be kind to everyone. If this is where I was supposed to be, I’m not happy about that.I think I was  needed in Florida  this winter. The club house where we rent is under repair which was supposed to be over this year, but from the sound of things it won’t be ready next year either.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28

Good afternoon.

75°F and sunny today.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Thank you for today's lists Roy and wishing you a fabulous cruise @rafinmd.

3 very good quotes today.

A little kindness can make a lot of difference to people's lives.

Science is very important and the Parent Teachers Association work hard for the benefit of the school children.

Today's food as shown by Debbie @dfishlooks delicious.

I will give the drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for all who need them.

No updates on young Josh who is at hospital now for more intravenous antibiotics.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1