The Daily for Saturday 02/19/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So, in the future, the word ‘wife’ on The Daily may also mean a wine bar with excellent WIFI in a foreign port. 😄

OMG, now I'm laughing SO hard!!  

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I also thought wifi, but I like the way your mind works.  Are we a bad influence with all the talk about wine everyday? 😁

Lenda 

Nope, not a bad influence at all, I'm afraid my mind has always gone there!  😀

58 minutes ago, kazu said:

I thought the same thing 😉 

It looks like I'm the only one whose mind went directly to wine and not wifi 😉  I could try to blame it on lack of sleep, but that wouldn't be entirely true   😂

49 minutes ago, dfish said:

I've been wondering if I need a new mattress.  Mine is kind of old....

I actually love our mattress, it's a Sleep Number.  I have found, though, that sometimes if I change the firmness just slightly once in awhile that helps.  

30 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Carolyn, (and @dfishDebbie), I'm just popping in here quickly because I really better get organized to sail tomorrow.  (Giving myself a pedi is essential, right?!)  But anyhow, you've mentioned sleep before, and I share the problem of waking at 2:00 or 3:00 and then being useless the next day.  It's really frustrating.

For me, the idea of "first sleep" and "second sleep" really helps a lot.  You can google it and see that some people think this is how we're designed to sleep.  For me, I think it's just that my leg circulation is bad, combined with low blood sugar, just makes my body very ill at ease and restless.  So...what I do (and for me it's been a Godsend) is just get up, have a weak cup of coffee to get my circulation going, along with a light snack like a graham cracker.  I watch late night shows and do stuff like pay bills, maybe read a bit.  (Love BBC news because it's the next day already.)  At five in the morning or thereabouts, I put in ear plugs and put on a sleep mask, fall asleep quickly,  and then wake very naturally and rested at about 8 am. 

This is probably all tmi, but this is such a problem for a lot of people.  Mostly women, seems like.  I just wanted to share what has really worked well for me -- after trying a lot of other things that didn't work at all.   Also it prevents me waking up with a headache, which happens a lot, again maybe from low blood sugar or poor circulation.

Sorry to bore all you good sleepers out there.  You are very lucky!  😊

Interesting, I remember reading about this just recently.  It's true.  I seem to sleep 4-5 hours just fine, but then wake up around 2:00 or 3:00 and am awake anywhere from just a few minutes to hours (like last night).  In my case I wouldn't be able to drink even weak coffee though, as even decaf keeps me awake.  I have gotten up and done other things, and that usually helps. I would have done that last night, but in the winter I don't want to get out of the warm bed!  😄

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I turned off the Live on my iPhone.  It made me dizzy!😊

I have been busy all day!  Garden cleanup this morning, and moving a few perennials.  This afternoon I have been concentrating on what is going on in Ottawa.  It is so interesting.  The "paddy wagons" seem to have individual little cubicles and they can just put each person they are arresting into their own "room".  What a huge response is going on!

Garden clean up ??????  What NO snow to shovel @VictOriann ? 

and yes we like our governments and police response to the wacko's .....

• Like 8

I wake up every morning between 1:04 and 1:15.  I have no idea why, but i get up and use the bathroom, and then go back to bed.  I have a terrible time getting back in bed.  The cat that was sleeping by my side is now blocking my entrance to the blankets, and the cat that was sleeping behind my feet, has now rolled over to the bottom of the bed, and then the cat that sleeps with DH has moved to my pillow. And the old cat(who's claws no longer retract) cozies up to me, while i have about an eighth of the bed, and sticks his claws in my chest, and i have no where to roll to.  I then get up at 4, and repeat the whole process again.  No wonder I'm tired and sore about an hour after I wake up.

LOL.  This is true, but I do have to laugh about it.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm really late today, it was another one of "those nights", worse than usual.  I was awake from 2am-6am.  And absolutely no reason for it, just tossing and turning.

Good collection of days.  Like many here, I'll take chocolate in any form, and chocolate mint ice cream is one of my favorites. But @Vict0riannit's true, the chocolate mint ice cream on a BHB does taste like toothpaste 😞  It was a real disappointment!

I'll pass on the meal, wine and drink today.  Stuffed peppers will be on our table tonight.

@smitty34877Terry I'm so happy Tana is home!

@StLouisCruisersSandi please forgive me -- I know we aren't supposed to mention typos but this one was almost too hard to resist -- early in your photos you said you all planned to go to a cafe next to the ship and "try their wife" (I know you meant wine).  I loved your photos, thank you for posting them!  I'm surprised that the port won't be on the Grand Australia.  

Actually I though Sandi meant they were looking for Wifi. 🤣

Okay, I missed all the other comments (that’s what I get for not reading all the posts first). A wine bar with great WiFi is a perfect find in a port!

St Louis Sal

Edited by St. Louis Sal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Carolyn, (and @dfishDebbie), I'm just popping in here quickly because I really better get organized to sail tomorrow.  (Giving myself a pedi is essential, right?!)  But anyhow, you've mentioned sleep before, and I share the problem of waking at 2:00 or 3:00 and then being useless the next day.  It's really frustrating.

For me, the idea of "first sleep" and "second sleep" really helps a lot.  You can google it and see that some people think this is how we're designed to sleep.  For me, I think it's just that my leg circulation is bad, combined with low blood sugar, just makes my body very ill at ease and restless.  So...what I do (and for me it's been a Godsend) is just get up, have a weak cup of coffee to get my circulation going, along with a light snack like a graham cracker.  I watch late night shows and do stuff like pay bills, maybe read a bit.  (Love BBC news because it's the next day already.)  At five in the morning or thereabouts, I put in ear plugs and put on a sleep mask, fall asleep quickly,  and then wake very naturally and rested at about 8 am. 

This is probably all tmi, but this is such a problem for a lot of people.  Mostly women, seems like.  I just wanted to share what has really worked well for me -- after trying a lot of other things that didn't work at all.   Also it prevents me waking up with a headache, which happens a lot, again maybe from low blood sugar or poor circulation.

Sorry to bore all you good sleepers out there.  You are very lucky!  😊

First, yes a pedi is a requirement for boarding.  Low blood sugar is something I hadn't thought about.  Maybe I should go back to my habit of eating a green banana before bed.  

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I actually love our mattress, it's a Sleep Number.  I have found, though, that sometimes if I change the firmness just slightly once in awhile that helps.  

Interesting, I remember reading about this just recently.  It's true.  I seem to sleep 4-5 hours just fine, but then wake up around 2:00 or 3:00 and am awake anywhere from just a few minutes to hours (like last night).  In my case I wouldn't be able to drink even weak coffee though, as even decaf keeps me awake.  I have gotten up and done other things, and that usually helps. I would have done that last night, but in the winter I don't want to get out of the warm bed!  😄

I may be grasping at straws with the mattress.  I also get up and do other things.  Sometimes I'm only up for 15 minutes, but other times I'm up for an hour or more.  I try to do mindless things so my mind rests instead of jumping from topic to topic.

21 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I wake up every morning between 1:04 and 1:15.  I have no idea why, but i get up and use the bathroom, and then go back to bed.  I have a terrible time getting back in bed.  The cat that was sleeping by my side is now blocking my entrance to the blankets, and the cat that was sleeping behind my feet, has now rolled over to the bottom of the bed, and then the cat that sleeps with DH has moved to my pillow. And the old cat(who's claws no longer retract) cozies up to me, while i have about an eighth of the bed, and sticks his claws in my chest, and i have no where to roll to.  I then get up at 4, and repeat the whole process again.  No wonder I'm tired and sore about an hour after I wake up.

LOL.  This is true, but I do have to laugh about it.

I don't have cats that get in the way, but my covers are usually so messed up I have to remake the bed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Just finished reading that the 4 cruise lines that went to Cuba when President Obama lifted sanctions are in trouble with the US government because they hired Cuban tourist agencies to supply their passengers with excursions. So, since we went  to Cuba on Royal Caribbean ( horrible old ship) and took our own private tours, I’m wondering if we’ll be in American or Cuban jails. At the port, we had to fill out all this information and reply why we were going. Tourism was a no no so we did one of the other choices. We were told to save those papers and I just shredded them last month. The cruise lines might owe tons of money. Article is on the net and in Florida papers today.

Thanks for the heads up! I remember keeping the papers we signed, but not sure I can put my fingers on them. This really ticks me. I was so grateful to have the opportunity to travel to Cuba, I truly thought I would not get to go in my lifetime. I was so emotional I shed tears as we sailed into Havana. I enjoyed every moment there, meeting the people, seeing sights I had only read about. We attended two musical performances as well as meeting some other musicians at lunch. I found their medical system to be amazing.

I guess one thing that bugs me is how we have no issues with traveling to Russia or China and yet Cuba, our near neighbor is a no go. I guess if we are in trouble, I will ride my power wheelchair into court and give my testimony about a people to people experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything.

St Louis Sal 

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, dfish said:

First, yes a pedi is a requirement for boarding.  Low blood sugar is something I hadn't thought about.  Maybe I should go back to my habit of eating a green banana before bed.  

I used to eat bananas, too, thinking that potassium might be an issue.  And Ovaltine before bed.

Who knows?  Everyone has different body chemistry, but it does make sense that as the old bod gets older, it's harder to maintain status quo for long periods of time.  Even the coffee thing baffles me.  I'm actually sensitive to caffeine, but it relaxes my legs in the middle of the night and I fall asleep again like a brick at around five a.m.

Whatever works....

• Like 11

Good evening, 

It's been a rainy day in the PNW. I'm reading the Daily every day but not commenting as often. DH is having his ups and downs from his stroke and the infected finger but he's having more good days so that's a plus.

Today I spent the rainy time making chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal butterscotch chip cookies. Both got a thumbs up from DH. 

In honor of Chocolate Mint day I'll have mint chocolate chip ice cream in a bit - either Schwan's or Presidents Choice. Both are quite good. My fave chocolate mint item is a Dark Chocolate Mint Kitkat! It is sooo good! 

Karen

• Like 13

6 hours ago, dfish said:

I've been wondering if I need a new mattress.  Mine is kind of old....

I have the iphone 12 and love the pictures it takes.  I never did anything in the settings about them, but I upload them to OneDrive and then post them on CC with no problem.  Just checked and High Efficiency is what is checked.  I didn't know anything about that until now.  It may be that it works for me because I do save them to my photo files in the cloud.

Well I don’t do cloud. But I will go back to my new camera purchased a month before the cruising stopped. Took a while to get used to iPhone as I was an Android person.

I love the iPhone in a lot of ways, but first time I transferred photos to computer it was odd to see Live files as well as reg photo files and not named JPEG either.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Since iOs 11 (we're on 15 now), the Apple phones replaced JPEG with a format called HEIC, which is a new High Efficiency Image Format. HEIC allows photos with smaller file sizes but still with higher image quality, compared to JPG. But many programs don't like HEIC. You can set your phone to take JPG again by going to Settings, Camera, Formats and picking Most Compatible. I did that since my image editing programs didn't like the HEIC.

Oooooh thanks for advice. I will try it as HEIC files can be odd to deal with as well as the live ones that move.

But I have good luck taking video with iPhone 12. Wow so happy

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

OMG, now I'm laughing SO hard!!  

Nope, not a bad influence at all, I'm afraid my mind has always gone there!  😀

It looks like I'm the only one whose mind went directly to wine and not wifi 😉  I could try to blame it on lack of sleep, but that wouldn't be entirely true   😂

Regular reader here - rare commenter.  But I have to say I lol’d at the original post thinking she meant wifi and you fine ladies have given this 57 year old happily married (30 years together!) gay man many laughs today with your responses.  Bless y’all!  I seriously think the worst of the last few years are about to be behind us and we’re all about to live our best lives ever and appreciate every day! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I used to eat bananas, too, thinking that potassium might be an issue.  And Ovaltine before bed.

Who knows?  Everyone has different body chemistry, but it does make sense that as the old bod gets older, it's harder to maintain status quo for long periods of time.  Even the coffee thing baffles me.  I'm actually sensitive to caffeine, but it relaxes my legs in the middle of the night and I fall asleep again like a brick at around five a.m.

Whatever works....

Something is an issue because I was having horrible leg cramps.  I upped my water intake and the cramps continued.  I added in a multi-vitamin and also some apple cider vinegar gummies in the evening and the cramps have subsided.  I think my wake up issues are stemming from my back.  Nothing seems to be working there.  We'll try something new and it seems to work for a couple of nights and then we're back where we started from.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Something is an issue because I was having horrible leg cramps.  I upped my water intake and the cramps continued.  I added in a multi-vitamin and also some apple cider vinegar gummies in the evening and the cramps have subsided.  I think my wake up issues are stemming from my back.  Nothing seems to be working there.  We'll try something new and it seems to work for a couple of nights and then we're back where we started from.  

I always got bad leg cramps when my vitamin D levels got too low. Never had that problem when I was younger. Another reason we moved to a warmer climate - so I could soak up some sun and build those levels back up without freezing to death. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Regular reader here - rare commenter.  But I have to say I lol’d at the original post thinking she meant wifi and you fine ladies have given this 57 year old happily married (30 years together!) gay man many laughs today with your responses.  Bless y’all!  I seriously think the worst of the last few years are about to be behind us and we’re all about to live our best lives ever and appreciate every day! 

Welcome to the Daily @Kurtybee123, we’re happy to have you around, whether you comment or not.  Over the past 2 years we’ve all had lots of laughs (and some tears) as we help each other through the pandemic.  Don’t be a stranger!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Please mention the leg cramps to the ortho or neuro following  your spinal issues.I worry about you!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dfish said:

My mother suffered from these, the dr suggested drinking some tonic water with quinine.  She also swore 🤷‍♀️by having a bar of soap in her bed. YMMV

14 hours ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Love your positive comments! Welcome! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

My mother suffered from these, the dr suggested drinking some tonic water with quinine.  She also swore 🤷‍♀️by having a bar of soap in her bed. YMMV

I used to drink the tonic water for restless legs but the cpap took care of that!   I have not tried the bar of soap.

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Love your positive comments! Welcome! 

Yes, welcome @Kurtybee123.  We hope to hear a lot more from you!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bennybear said:

I heard about the bar of soap thing a few years ago (supposed it be Ivory soap) and suggested it to my mom.  Her leg cramps went away the first night.  We don't know why, but it worked for her.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I heard about the bar of soap thing a few years ago (supposed it be Ivory soap) and suggested it to my mom.  Her leg cramps went away the first night.  We don't know why, but it worked for her.

Well, it can't hurt to try.  A bar of Ivory soap is a small investment.  

• Like 3