Face Mask update

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Well, this is a discussion about mask requirements on Royal ships and I am curious how this will work out on their ships this summer in Europe. In summer there are about the same number of Royal ships in Europe than in the Caribbean. Germany is just one example of a European country who will continue to require masks and this will apply also to ships who leave or stop in the country. We are travelling in April on Royal to Denmark, Sweden and Norway and the No Mask on Royal ships might not be applicable. Similar situation highly possible in Greece, France Spain or Italy. We are also vaxxed and boostered and prefer a normal live but unfortunately rules in some European countries might still require masks on cruise ships. 

Well, Royal hasn't released anything about Europe, but they have for the US and Puerto Rico which is currently applicable.

6 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

There are still many Caribbean islands that require masks to be worn no matter what the rules are on the ship.  One masks up on leaving the ship for the day.  So European cruises will most likely be the same. 

That's why I rarely leave the ship.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

Meanwhile tightening up mask 😷 requirements on Grandeur 

image.jpg

I did some sleuthing, and it looks like Grandeur is currently at St. Vincent Island on the "7 night Southern Caribbean Island Hop" itinerary. Originally departed from Barbados, with previous ports of Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Antigua. Perhaps they are tightening things again due to some new Covid cases on board. Sounds like a fun itinerary otherwise.

1 minute ago, bucfan2 said:

So sorry to hear that.  If that were to be imposed fleet wide, the only increase we’ll see is one in bankruptcy filings. 

We will be on Odyssey on Saturday. If we have to wear a mask, so be it. We just want to be on that ship.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I did some sleuthing, and it looks like Grandeur is currently at St. Vincent Island on the "7 night Southern Caribbean Island Hop" itinerary. Originally departed from Barbados, with previous ports of Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, and Antigua. Perhaps they are tightening things again due to some new Covid cases on board. Sounds like a fun itinerary otherwise.

It is sailing under the rules of Barbados and the islands it is visiting, not the CDC rules for U.S. home ported ships.

• Like 3

I can't never understand the big arguments around masks, why people think it's should be required, why they think it shouldn't.  Personally, I have not worn a mask since my last trip to the Bahamas, and the mask wearing was very "limited" on the cruise ship.  It should be just a choice.  But no one should impose their choice on others just like getting on the ship is your choice.  But if you choose, than know and understand you will be around others that choose not to have a mask.  I don't complain about you with your "choice" to wear one, but don't complain about my choice not to.  

Testing has already proven to show that it does not really work.  It takes sometimes days to build up enough in your system to show on some tests.  That's why so many countries are dropping the requirements to enter, because it does not work.  

Vaccines and boosters help that you don't get really sick, and it's great to have.  But again, it is not fool proof.  People still get it, with the vaccine.   Don't know all the science, but I'm not famous and so not on today's news but I did test positive, with mild symptoms of covid. 

So really, it's time to move on, make your own personal choices and let's bring back the belly flop contest and Quest.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ChC said:

I will wear a face mask regardless. It is my personal choice. It is not about Covid, but also seasonal flu and other airborne diseases. I have venerable people to protect. 

It is just too early to abandon all the precautions. There could be another variant around the corner. Unless the conspiracy theorists are right all along that this pandemic is planned. Otherwise how do some of the governments are so sure that Omicron is the last wave?

So I will stick to my face mask for a short while. Not judging others, just my personal choice.

Totally respect your choice!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 3:58 PM, karena1 said:

Same here, we only wear them when it is required.  Have been that way since this started.   I agree, hope they either move the testing to 3 days or eliminate it all together which would be my preference.

Yup, the testing is still a major PIA and should be not necessary for vaccinated passengers.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

Time to drop all covid restrictions. I know they are taking baby steps, but I am ready. 

Just as Covid is ready to nail your @$$.

There is no downside to masking a month too long. There is no upside to unmasking a month too soon.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Just as Covid is ready to nail your @$$.

There is no downside to masking a month too long. There is no upside to unmasking a month too soon.

There is no upside to masking for 2 years too long.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Either on board or maybe one of the ports.

Yes they've had covid onboard as reported by friends sailing in recent weeks.  It's especially complicated as Barbados will not allow anyone with a positive result to disembark.  There've been examples where a negative wife had to disembark and positive husband had to remain onboard to complete quarantine.

4 hours ago, ChC said:

There could be another variant around the corner.

There already is - it is an Omicron subvariant that has been identified in South Africa. Unfortunately for the politicians (who have known about it for weeks), it doesn't appear to cause anything more than a slight fever and sniffles...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There already is - it is an Omicron subvariant that has been identified in South Africa. Unfortunately for the politicians (who have known about it for weeks), it doesn't appear to cause anything more than a slight fever and sniffles...

And, it's not expected to really cause a real uptick.  As it's a variant of Omicron, anyone who has had Omicron is believed to be very resistant or even immune to it.  And, yes, it's very mild but it is not running rampant by a long shot.  Except of course in places that have been so locked down that cases have been low with other variants.   All those locations really did is delay the inevitable in terms of spread.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I can't never understand the big arguments around masks, why people think it's should be required, why they think it shouldn't.  Personally, I have not worn a mask since my last trip to the Bahamas, and the mask wearing was very "limited" on the cruise ship.  It should be just a choice.  But no one should impose their choice on others just like getting on the ship is your choice.  But if you choose, than know and understand you will be around others that choose not to have a mask.  I don't complain about you with your "choice" to wear one, but don't complain about my choice not to.  

But a business (and that's what Royal is) should be able to determine what (if anything) clothing is required to enter.  IMO, if businesses are allowed to say "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service", then they're allowed to say "No Mask, No Service".  Doesn't matter if I (the customer) agree with it or not.  I'm free to go somewhere else.

4 hours ago, ChC said:

I will wear a face mask regardless. It is my personal choice. It is not about Covid, but also seasonal flu and other airborne diseases. I have venerable people to protect. 

It is just too early to abandon all the precautions. There could be another variant around the corner. Unless the conspiracy theorists are right all along that this pandemic is planned. Otherwise how do some of the governments are so sure that Omicron is the last wave?

So I will stick to my face mask for a short while. Not judging others, just my personal choice.

If you want to continue to wear a mask, go right ahead.  But, using your logic of "there could be another variant around the corner", that means you will wear a mask for the rest of your life.  Personally, I'm not going to do that.  If a business requires masks and I want to do business there, I'll wear a mask.  If they don't (or don't enforce it), I won't.  

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Actually we are on a 14n itinerary to ABC and Costa Rica etc.

The notice about the change to masking was in our cabins after we had sailed. 

Apparently they were going at round last night putting up the mask signs again. 

Only 2 cases on board last weeks 7n cruise so I am failing to see the “ rise in cases”. 

• Like 3