R.I.P. Cruise Compass on Navigator of the Seas

seychelle

On 2/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, bonsai3s said:

Still getting it nightly on the Symphony.

20220228_183522.jpg

You didn’t happen to upload the whole thing anywhere did you? I’m looking for an updated cruise compass for symphony. As I understand it, they’re not showing hairspray so I’m thinking that really changes up the nightly entertainment and venues from the others I could find from November of last year. We’re sailing in a group of 13 and I’d like to be armed ahead of time so I can quickly select everything I need reservations for and then relax!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahD112 said:

You didn’t happen to upload the whole thing anywhere did you? I’m looking for an updated cruise compass for symphony. As I understand it, they’re not showing hairspray so I’m thinking that really changes up the nightly entertainment and venues from the others I could find from November of last year. We’re sailing in a group of 13 and I’d like to be armed ahead of time so I can quickly select everything I need reservations for and then relax!

Sorry, I didn't upload the rest of the compasses. Hairspray is not showing again this week. 

On 2/28/2022 at 9:42 PM, ownedbypets said:

I read it every night but it does end up in the garbage by the end of the cruise.

I take them all home for my 97 year old mother, who’s cruising days are now over, to read and get jealous! 🤣🤣

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Currently aboard the NV. This is in our stateroom each evening. Never asked for one to be left.

7F50D1E5-4FE7-4296-94F6-5DF030B26BB3.jpeg

Any chance you have Sheree as your stateroom attendant?  She was ours and provided the CC.  She was also very nice!

Think about it....you know where this is headed. Kiosks located around the ship where you can BUY a printed Compass. They will spin it as a deluxe version of the free app because it includes a crossword puzzle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SewMuch said:

Think about it....you know where this is headed. Kiosks located around the ship where you can BUY a printed Compass. They will spin it as a deluxe version of the free app because it includes a crossword puzzle.

And Sudoku as an added bonus. 

i just got off Navigator on Monday and asked my cabin steward to bring me the Compass each evening for the following day and he did.  I also finally looked at the signage outside the dining room entrance to see what is on the menu so i could tell my waiter what i want without him having to provide me a menu.  further along into the cruise the menu was printed on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper with print so tiny you could hardly read it.  

and yes on this cruise there was a brunch which i have never seen before but i have never been on Navigator before so thought maybe it was a Navigator thing.

enjoyable cruise although i didn't enjoy the chilly and windy weather going south out of LAX and coming back north after leaving Puerto Vallarta.

i am of the "older population" who is Diamond so many cruises on Royal and am going to have some method of reading the compass and the menu other than on a phone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SewMuch said:

To enhance your cruise experience.

• Haha 5

I used to read the Cruise Compass in the evening and figure out the things I wanted to do.  Then the next day I would...forget everything and remember events about 5 minutes after they ended. 

Now I pick what I want to do in the App, and it reminds me when those events are about to begin.  Last cruise on Navigator I actually got to trivia before the first question a few times, and was even able to win a few.  It's nice to create a curated schedule of just the events that interest me, and all the gold by the inch, cheap t-shirt sales and other stuff that doesn't appeal to me is filtered out.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BND said:

Since when does Royal do brunch in the MDR?

We’ve actually had it twice on this cruise - on a sea day and on a day when we didn’t dock until 2pm. 

Shsme they haven’t updated the template from one used at Christmas… there were no “holiday cookies 🍪 “!

B6CA1B0A-F298-40A9-BBA3-FC5051E33C7E.jpeg

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DandDM said:

Any chance you have Sheree as your stateroom attendant?  She was ours and provided the CC.  She was also very nice!

No, we have Michael as our room steward. Not a big deal as I use the app. Could really care less if I have a printed copy but it’s still there if someone needs it. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:02 PM, moonltnite said:

And since my husband and I are both in IT - for the snarky ones that joked that those of us that want  printed Cruise Compasses must still use checks at the grocery store - I haven't seen anyone do that in years! 

Worked at a grocery store until a few years ago. Took a LOT of personal checks.

Manager of an antique store and took equal number of cash, credit and checks. 

Don't paint a wide brush.

• Like 1

On our last cruise on Quantum many fellow passengers complained how the app was constantly failing,there were many displays around Quantum which surely could also be used for people to read the days events,although they too seemed non functional for large periods of time.

Like others I too feel comfier with a paper copy of pretty much everything,no worries about batteries going flat or loss of signal where required.

We are currently undergoing a house clearout,finding things that we brought home on our first visit to the USA in 1980 which haven't seen the light of day since,seems a good idea at the time doesn't it!😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Worked at a grocery store until a few years ago. Took a LOT of personal checks.

Manager of an antique store and took equal number of cash, credit and checks. 

Don't paint a wide brush.

Things changed a LOT in the past two years.  Checks are not the norm outside of some small businesses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

Things changed a LOT in the past two years.  Checks are not the norm outside of some small businesses. 

Hello,

I like writing cheques as I have a (very) expensive collection of vintage fountain pens - a couple even older than me and the quality of paper used in them is such that the ink does not bleed like it does on other documents.

Regards,

Cublet

44 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I like writing cheques as I have a (very) expensive collection of vintage fountain pens - a couple even older than me and the quality of paper used in them is such that the ink does not bleed like it does on other documents.

Regards,

Cublet

Yeah, but the discussion is about writing checks, not cheques.  😛

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2022 at 10:49 PM, xpcdoojk said:

Again, if you are saving 40 year old cruise compasses, please quit and toss them now before your children have to dig thru it and toss it.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

I guess you don't follow the Cruise Memorabilia section here on CC.  There are people who pay big for 40 year old cruise papers, and others who enjoy seeing the photos of them.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I guess you don't follow the Cruise Memorabilia section here on CC.  There are people who pay big for 40 year old cruise papers, and others who enjoy seeing the photos of them.

That's no reason to continue printing them.

And if you go to that section, there's one mention of a cruise paper since 2019.  People are looking at ship models and the like, not cruise planners.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

O, I didn’t realize most people were holding these as investments.  If that is the case, they need to seal them in a protective wrapper, and use gloves while doing so.  Plus when you are on the ship, you should in order to maximize their “value” not read them or handle them.  Certainly don’t fold them up and slip them in a pocket, and whatever you do …. DO NOT WRITE ON THEM.

This investment advice is freely given.  

You may thank me by sending me a small 10% of your windfall profits in 40 years!  🤣

My email is in my signature.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Yeah, but the discussion is about writing checks, not cheques.  😛

Hello,

May I remind you of the thread "To add some humour....." And a picture of our own dear Queen? The caption read "There's no such thing as American English, only English and anything else is wrong".

But in days of olde when knights were bold and perforations hadn't been invented, the 'check' was checking that the pattern on the counterfoil matched-up with the pattern on the 'drawn note' (original word for cheque) so was genuine.

Stay tuned for more useless facts that will have you running to the nearest open window.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 3