R.I.P. Cruise Compass on Navigator of the Seas

seychelle

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

DH does not have a smart phone and does use the compass every day.  It will be a pain to get him to use my smart phone.  However, I can see this is a positive for the planet.  However, I will pitch a fit if I still get all of the other printed $hi@.  [i.e. art auction, chocolate diamond sales, etc.]  

I agree there should be a choice.  Keep a number of print outs at GS and you have to pick them up if you are old school.

I got off Navigator a week ago today--no Cruise Compasses and when I asked, the guest services desk referred me to the app or to the screens in various parts of the ship that list out what activities are happening.  And in my room there was a massive stack of all those things you mention.  Just no Cruise Compass.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I got off Navigator a week ago today--no Cruise Compasses and when I asked, the referred me to my phone of the fact that they have screens in various parts of the ship that list out what activities are happening.  And in my room there was a massive stack of all those things you mention.  Just no Cruise Compass.  

That will be maddening!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

That will be maddening!

7 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I got off Navigator a week ago today--no Cruise Compasses and when I asked, the guest services desk referred me to the app or to the screens in various parts of the ship that list out what activities are happening.  And in my room there was a massive stack of all those things you mention.  Just no Cruise Compass.  

There is a person or committee somewhere in the RCL organization that decided it would save money, save time and be acceptable to cruisers to make the Compass app only.  After all, they are embracing the 21st century by going digital.  

What is amazing to me is that they are so removed from reality that they do not know how disliked all of the junk flyers are and that they would not see that passengers will be upset.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, little britain said:

They tried this on Grandeur too but there have been so many complaints ( mostly about not knowing what the dress code was for the evening… let’s be honest it isn’t in the most obvious place in the app!) they they are being handed out again. 

Where is it on app? We could not find it

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Same here on Jewel last week. I saw no Cruise Compass in my cabin upon boarding so I went to Guest Services and they informed me to use the app. I told them that I needed the paper version as well -- I like to have both, and they said ok just this once but don't come back tomorrow....nice. I then politely asked my room steward if he could deliver one daily and he did just that. Needless to say he got a very fine tip at the end of the cruise. 

I heard from other cruisers on my sailing that they looked at them like they had 10 heads when they asked for a CC.  One said they felt like Oliver Twist when he asked for more. Another older gentleman who was a Pinnacle was told to bring his phone to Guest Services and they would show him how to use the App. Really??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

The problem with using the app on my smartphone is that the yellow highlighter pen smudges my screen. I can never figure out what to attend the next day.😉

🤣 Yes and they still give out highlighters out as prizes. I asked "what for" when I won one at trivia. 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Remember that the junk mail is for outsourced vendors (spa, art auction, onboard shops) and most likely print / distribution is part of Royal's revenue stream.

On our last month cruise on Navigator we had no printed material on our 7 night cruise except for the Cruise Compass that our amazing cabin steward would leave each night and the occasional invitations to upper tier events. It was great not having all the useless material.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

😊 How about the midnight buffet and ice sculptures?

Not much for Complaining esp about Change, oh wait Yes I Am! Where do I start, still upset can't Skeet Shoot off open Decks anymore! Now Cruise Compass, saved everyone them from 35yrs of Cruising. BUT, funny thing is just threw them all away last month. Was time...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not much for Complaining esp about Change, oh wait Yes I Am! Where do I start, still upset can't Skeet Shoot off open Decks anymore! Now Cruise Compass, saved everyone them from 35yrs of Cruising. BUT, funny thing is just threw them all away last month. Was time...

LOL So you were one of those shooting clay pigeons off the back of the ship on sea days?  I saw you while I was playing shuffleboard. 🤣 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

Speaking of the Navigator. how was your ship experience overall aside from reading about the Cruise Compass. is Royal getting the "numbers" that they hoped to get by positioning that class ship out on the West Coast? i suppose any news is good news.

I *personally* for me, love having the app AND can hold space for the fact several groups of people need paper (folks who don’t have smart phones/struggle with them, disabled folks/folks with TBI who can’t use screens) and some who prefer them (people who came on a cruise to get away from screens, people who like circle or highlighting, people who don’t want to carry their phones around).

I don’t understand why GS are getting so sassy at people asking for them! Print a couple dozen a day and you’ll meet everyone’s needs; one of the few times this might happen!

• Like 9

The app is a horrible way to figure out what's going on throughout the day, so much clicking and scrolling. I think people will miss out on a lot of events and activities if they don't know to look for it. 

If they don't have the paper Cruise Compass they should post a PDF in the app that you can view on your phone or computer. 

Or at least have one page in the app where you can scroll through ALL dining, info, and daily planner pages just like on the Cruise Compass, with times listed. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The CA tree huggers made RCI cut down on killing trees - this was RCI's answer.

That is everybody's answer.  The local AAA baseball team, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, stopped giving out free programs.  They told us that for our convenience the programs can be printed online before we go to the ballpark. They also bragged about saving trees.  Nothing was said about the lost revenue for the local print shop.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

The app is a horrible way to figure out what's going on throughout the day, so much clicking and scrolling. I think people will miss out on a lot of events and activities if they don't know to look for it. 

If they don't have the paper Cruise Compass they should post a PDF in the app that you can view on your phone or computer. 

This!!

We were on Jewel last week and we had to push a bit at Guest services to get a paper copy- same response that livingonthe beach received. Its so much more efficient to scan the paper Compass than to click through every line item on the app. We still got art auction ads though.

We mentioned displeasure with this on both the paper survey and the post cruise survey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

This!!

We were on Jewel last week and we had to push a bit at Guest services to get a paper copy- same response that livingonthe beach received. Its so much more efficient to scan the paper Compass than to click through every line item on the app. We still got art auction ads though.

We mentioned displeasure with this on both the paper survey and the post cruise survey

Wont the Cruise Compass be available on the many kiosks strategically located in hallways and near the elevators?

29 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

This!!

1 minute ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Wont the Cruise Compass be available on the many kiosks strategically located in hallways and near the elevators?

My wife prefers to read the Cruise Compass in our cabin in bed the evening before. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

No - they are planning on discontinuing the printing of the daily Compass and are directing anyone who asks to the app. The kiosks have signs taped to them directing to the app