Info about Canada's new rules for cruise lines for 2022?

Harrylinden

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

My recollection is that there were a number of media reports concerning individuals completing the process or being unable to and the Minister responsible said accommodations could be made on a by case basis.

Yes, but few and far between.  Examples listed on their website.  Typically with a disability of some sort IIRC.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, Drews_Cruise said:

We still have the requirement for vaccinated passengers, because there is still a pandemic going on. I don't understand why the Canadian government is supposed to change their stance due to an American Law? Change the American law and skip Canada.     If the same thing happens for a second year in a row, it may be enough pressure to change the mind of the Canadian powers that be!.  But I doubt it.  Their a stubborn bunch of Liberals..LOL   

Mic Drop.......

On 3/2/2022 at 9:03 AM, Ombud said:

Maybe I should have said "not interested in cruising to Astoria / Seattle." Just left Seattle. Can drive up the coast to Astoria in less than a day. 

Better go down to Astoria not up

The Canadian Transportation Minister will be making an announcement Monday March 7 about the upcoming Canadian cruise season. Hopefully all testing requirement questions will be addressed then. 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It's up & was as hoped for. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html

- vaccinate

- test & retest

- complete ArrivalCAN which apparently can be done via app or online

Waiting to see what Princess has to say about the new announcement.  I am sure they are not happy about having to test all guests that will be returning to Vancouver --- will Princess pay the cost or will it be passed on to the passengers --- we shall see. 

7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Waiting to see what Princess has to say about the new announcement.  I am sure they are not happy about having to test all guests that will be returning to Vancouver --- will Princess pay the cost or will it be passed on to the passengers --- we shall see. 

Not to mention the round trips out of Seattle that stop in Victoria for a few hours.

• Like 1

So it looks like we will be tested at embarkation on my RT out of SF with stops in Victoria and Vancouver.  This has been the case for all the Hawaii sailings so they’ve got that procedure in place. And then get tested again to get off on ports. I wonder if they will do a PCR test when the ports are two consecutive days. 

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before arriving in Canada or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled arrival. All on board, including crew and passengers, must monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.
Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

So it looks like we will be tested at embarkation on my RT out of SF with stops in Victoria and Vancouver.  This has been the case for all the Hawaii sailings so they’ve got that procedure in place. And then get tested again to get off on ports. I wonder if they will do a PCR test when the ports are two consecutive days. 

Passenger obligations

• Pre-boarding a cruise ship
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.
    • Before their cruise departs, a traveller will need to enter their trip information into the ArriveCAN website.
    • Passengers seeking a medical contraindication or religious belief exemption will need to contact their cruise line to see if these are permitted. These exemptions are very limited.
  • Disembarking a cruise ship in Canada
    • Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before arriving in Canada or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled arrival. All on board, including crew and passengers, must monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days after arrival in Canada as per the Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations Order.

Basically the same as Hawaii but add ArrivalCAN. So relieved!! 

Some of us are on that first voyage from SF to Astoria, Victoria, and Vancouver in less than a month.  I imagine (as others have said) you will have to take the test before departing home per Princess requirement, then Princess will administer a PCR test in SFO (as is done for the hawaii cruises) which should satisfy the entry requirement for Victoria.  The question is, will that suffice for Vancouver as well?  If another test is required I could see Princess dropping our call in Victoria and shortening the cruise by 1 day.  The ramifications if someone tests positive while enroute is that Princess will have to put them up in a quarantine hotel in Victoria or Vancouver and I'm thinking that's not exactly cost effective.

Another wrinkle for non candians will be the test required for US re-entry.

I believe I saw elsewhere that this first voyage to Canada on the Caribbean Princess (irony, but she's heading to drydock right after), there are only 500 or so passengers anticipated.  Most will sail from FLL to SFO and then a handful will join those continuing to Vancouver.

Man, the things we do for cruises these days 🤪

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Haha 1

I just downloaded the ArriveCan app and, unlike MedallionClass app,  its incredibly simple to use. I'm up to enter date of arrival (has to be within 3 days) and test. Then DONE!!!

I cruise April 23rd

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Not to mention the round trips out of Seattle that stop in Victoria for a few hours.

Seriously....  like Princess will test an entire ship for some silly four hour stop in Victoria??  I will cancel the Discovery in a heartbeat if this is the case...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, julia said:

Seriously....  like Princess will test an entire ship for some silly four hour stop in Victoria??  I will cancel the Discovery in a heartbeat if this is the case...

It's not Princess' call .... it's Canada's. So if a simple 15 minute test discourages you from traveling  .... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It's not Princess' call .... it's Canada's. So if a simple 15 minute test discourages you from traveling  .... 

I fully understand it's Canada's call, but it's Princess's dime. We were perfectly fine skipping Canada last September.

1 minute ago, julia said:

I fully understand it's Canada's call, but it's Princess's dime. We were perfectly fine skipping Canada last September.

same here - we're not going either this year ... we're also not going on a Baltic ... or Australian ...🤑

3 minutes ago, julia said:

But the 'dime' can be as low as $1-$5 per test. Hardly worth Princess canceling coastal cruises with Vancouver / Victoria as a draw

• Like 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

same here - we're not going either this year ... we're also not going on a Baltic ... or Australian ...🤑

😒 hanging my head in shame: April 2022 Pacific Northwest (Astoria, Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria); September 2022 Transatlantic. But not to Australia until March 2023. Maybe February and 2 weeks land tour before hopping on in Sydney 

• Like 1

I am set to arrive in Vancouver in early May.  If a lot of people haven't reported back by then, I will certainly come back here and post my experiences.  I am also scheduled to visit Victoria in June.  Time will tell how this all plays out.  We are not going to let a bit of testing ruin our cruise plans.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The new update seems to be more of a burden on the cruise lines rather than passengers.  I think having the line provide a test prior to disembarking is a minor inconvenience to the passenger and certainly much larger for the lines sorting out the logistics of testing thousands of passengers a day prior to arrival. Can't imagine canceling due to someone else's problem.

• Like 1

I've booked the Discovery Princess in June.  We've paid for the excursion from Skagway to the Yukon.  I'm wondering if Princess will test us so we can take this excursion?   I'm Canadian and hoping this testing will end before Alaska cruise season starts!

30 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

The new update seems to be more of a burden on the cruise lines rather than passengers.  I think having the line provide a test prior to disembarking is a minor inconvenience to the passenger and certainly much larger for the lines sorting out the logistics of testing thousands of passengers a day prior to arrival. Can't imagine canceling due to someone else's problem.

We are given a rapid antigen test onboard when doing a B2B.  It was simple ... we gathered in the vista lounge, were given a test to self administer with a person from the medical staff walking around to make sure we were doing it correctly.  We dropped our test onto a table and waited a few minutes for our results.  Princess has the process down.  

It is also my understanding that San Francisco has required all non-boostered passengers required a test before they could disembark there.  I'm not sure if that is still happening but I understand Princess had a process for that as well.  The only time it was a problem is when Hawaii sprung it on the cruiselines at the last minute and required all passengers to be tested again when they arrived at the port for embarkation.  

• Like 4