Royal Up - New Category - 2 for 1 Upgrade

16 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

First time seeing this offered! You end up with 2 rooms. You keep what you have and get a second room. No guarantee on same deck though. 

56F8C057-667E-4981-A088-5E3971150CDF.png

How many people are in your stateroom?

@ourusualbeach What can you tell us about this?

Edited by Peak city

The obvious benefit is if you have more than 2 people in a cabin, and some of them are old enough to have their own cabin.  Eg - family of 4 with 2 teenagers - parents in cabin 1, old-enough kids in cabin 2

• Like 1

That might be of interest to a subset of guests, such as nonromantic adults sharing a stateroom as a cost saving measure and to share so social time.  For example, if Mom and I were going to share a cabin, perhaps we might bid on a 2-for-1 upgrade so we would each have our own space, our own bathroom at a great price; even if we were not on the same deck we could spend time plenty of together at meal, shows, etc.  I would not think it would work as well for those with young kids in same cabin.

• Like 1

We are already in a JS guarantee and it's just the 2 of us. I have no plans to bid as we have an opportunity as is for a free upgrade if we get lucky. So we paid $1200 total including tax & port fees for the 2 of us in the guarantee. To Royal Up the minimum bid was $370pp or another $740! If a couple bid & won, would they each get 4 points per night since they'd be staying single in a suite?

I could see it being worthwhile if traveling with a group of friends or with older kids.

25 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

We are already in a JS guarantee and it's just the 2 of us. I have no plans to bid as we have an opportunity as is for a free upgrade if we get lucky. So we paid $1200 total including tax & port fees for the 2 of us in the guarantee. To Royal Up the minimum bid was $370pp or another $740! If a couple bid & won, would they each get 4 points per night since they'd be staying single in a suite?

I could see it being worthwhile if traveling with a group of friends or with older kids.

With RoyalUp upgrades, one retains the C&A points of the original booking.  Therefore, I’d expect a couple to get the same number of C&A points whether or not  they split up into such a 2-for-1 JS RoyalUp deal.

I too can see it working for friends or adult relatives (cabins with just minors technically need need to be adjacent or across hall from adults, so the upgrade might not work)

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

All this would do is give my wife a reason to kick me out of the room for my snoring!

My DH snores so badly that I’d make him sleep on the balcony with the door shut if I could! 😆

Edited by CaroleC
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, resetjet said:

so the question becomes, can you add more guests.  Obviously the number of beds has doubled.  

I was thinking the same thing. We could add our son to our cabin if we won the bid and he would end up with his own cabin.

10 hours ago, resetjet said:

so the question becomes, can you add more guests.  Obviously the number of beds has doubled.  

Be careful; adding guests might trigger a repricing for the entire reservation.  I’m not sure that would happen, but I don’t think I personally would bid on a 2-for-1 on that basis

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jrapps said:

I'm just curious, why would someone want this? Especially since in the fine print it says there is no guarantee the rooms will be on the same deck.

Well, for one. Some of us cruise with mother -in-laws........ 🤪 Not being on the same deck would actually be a plus!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t understand why you would want this? I must be missing something? Maybe for a family?

Maybe two friends who would like to have their own rooms, or if your partner snores 😄