Over 70 required form

image.thumb.png.4d91335c3c7760a0ba7aeb092c038363.png

1. Before Covid cancelled our last cruise to  Bermuda, I received this form for cruisers over 70. I took it to my doctor who oils not sign it because there were no allowance for controlled conditions ( such as A1C under 7). I have not seen any discussion about this, but won’t be perusing any cruise opportunity until I hear they still want passengers over 70 ( I can’t imagine they are many of us without some kind of “underlying” condition).  I would appreciate any info.image.thumb.png.4d91335c3c7760a0ba7aeb092c038363.png

Seem to recall one of these a few years back, maybe January 2020, and not sure it was even for Royal - might have been Princess.  Didn't have anything about covid on it.  Cruise we got it signed for never happened.  And have cruised seven times since without ever seeing the form again.

• Like 1

We sailed in September. I'm 79, and no form. We're on the Wonder in 3 weeks, and haven't gotten the form. I don't even go to a dr. unless  i'm  sick, which I haven't been in 6 years, and take no perscription drugs.

• Like 2

This was EXTREME and never placed into effect.... BUT there should be some form of medical clearance to sail past a certain age. 

Way too many emergency EVACS (larger ships & older population) inconveniencing/delaying passengers. Just because you are personally protected by travel insurance is no reason to believe you should be sailing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

This was EXTREME and never placed into effect.... BUT there should be some form of medical clearance to sail past a certain age. 

Way too many emergency EVACS (larger ships & older population) inconveniencing/delaying passengers. Just because you are personally protected by travel insurance is no reason to believe you should be sailing.

Anyone can get sick on a cruise or an airplane or restaurant or even a bus. A signed form actually means very little. As far as the inconvenience to other passengers, I won’t get into that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Is your point about age or about medical risk?  Some 50 year olds are sicker than many 75 year olds and they know it.  Sadly, there are terminally ill children.  If people of advanced age with medical issues are not allowed to sail, why should younger ones with conditions just as serious?  Think about this, if after doctors told your loved one they estimated about 6 months to live, she really wanted to go on one more cruise with the whole family, would you deny her, due to a small risk she might get worse that week and inconvenience strangers?

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Is your point about age or about medical risk?  Some 50 year olds are sicker than many 75 year olds and they know it.  Sadly, there are terminally ill children.  If people of advanced age with medical issues are not allowed to sail, why should you get ones with conditions just as serious?  Think about this, if after doctors told your loved one they estimated about 6 months to live, she really wanted to go on one more cruise with the whole family, would you deny her, due to a small risk she might get worse that week and inconvenience strangers?

That’s exactly what happened to a dear friend several years ago after diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He wanted a last family cruise. Everyone worked together to make it happen. Even the oncologist suspended chemo. The doctor would have signed that letter (which truly means absolutely nothing) if said letter was indeed a requirement. Anyone can get sick anywhere. And people understand and accept a slight inconvenience.  At least most people do. 

• Like 1

We've had two medical evacuations that necessitated a slight change in itinerary in our 27 cruises on Royal.  One of the evacs made us 45 min late arriving in the next port, and the other did not affect any ports as the time was made up at sea.  So I guess I haven't experienced any inconvenience from medical issues of elderly people on ships.  Both evacs were due to alcohol related accidents.

Neither  evacuated person was elderly.  Both evacuations were broken bones (complicated fractures) from falling - one shattered ankle when a woman missed a step coming out of a nightclub, and one a seriously broken leg from a fall down a full flight of uncarpeted stairs onto the pool deck.  Both accidents happened late at night and were most likely alcohol related.  The woman was pretty young...maybe 30ish, and the man who fell down the stairs was a bit older, but definitely not elderly.   He was, apparently, falling down drunk,though, which is a condition that generally occurs in more in younger people than in the elderly.  

We figured both evacuees probably had drink packages.  :classic_wink:  No qualification or form needed for buying those!

Edited by foxgoodrich

20 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

wow! nothing like a little age discrimination!

I saw another thread excursions having a upper limit of 70, no exceptions. Some little belize city excursion was listed like that on my planner. If you are 71, you cant book. ..and it didnt even look difficult.

Last 2 I signed up for I had to say my weight was under 350 on one and 300 on the other, due to the size of the seats. 

Rcl has a lot of limitations you have to sign off on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I saw another thread excursions having a upper limit of 70, no exceptions. Some little belize city excursion was listed like that on my planner. If you are 71, you cant book. ..and it didnt even look difficult.

Last 2 I signed up for I had to say my weight was under 350 on one and 300 on the other, due to the size of the seats. 

Rcl has a lot of limitations you have to sign off on.

There are limits EVERYWHERE for mostly everything. For air pilots it's maximum age of 60 ~ 65 years, for air traffic controllers it's 56. 

I'm not advocating a ban on older people cruising (I'm over 60 myself) BUT there are some cruisers out there who are so frail as to be a risk to themselves and their fellow passengers. It's very selfish in those cases to cruise just because "I have insurance" 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 7:56 PM, Jfknavy said:

image.thumb.png.4d91335c3c7760a0ba7aeb092c038363.png

1. Before Covid cancelled our last cruise to  Bermuda, I received this form for cruisers over 70. I took it to my doctor who oils not sign it because there were no allowance for controlled conditions ( such as A1C under 7). I have not seen any discussion about this, but won’t be perusing any cruise opportunity until I hear they still want passengers over 70 ( I can’t imagine they are many of us without some kind of “underlying” condition).  I would appreciate any info.image.thumb.png.4d91335c3c7760a0ba7aeb092c038363.png

I know lots of physicians that would sign off on that if accurate and they should.  I know I've signed similar forms in Pediatrics and Adolescents where I could reasonably and honestly attest to the information being requested.  I've also amended forms to make them accurate (in this case possibly acknowledging Diabets under good control) and signed them accordingly and never had one denied that I can recall, and for things far more stringent and important than being able to cruise.  It is a reasonable direction for the cruise companies to consider in principle.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

There are limits EVERYWHERE for mostly everything. For air pilots it's maximum age of 60 ~ 65 years, for air traffic controllers it's 56. 

I'm not advocating a ban on older people cruising (I'm over 60 myself) BUT there are some cruisers out there who are so frail as to be a risk to themselves and their fellow passengers. It's very selfish in those cases to cruise just because "I have insurance" 

They should just make everyone sign a form agreeing they will not have any emergencies while on their cruise.

• Haha 1