The Inside Cabin's Tuxedo Junction - pass it on!

In order to avoid confusion with the Environmental Group - The Three Percent Club - I am changing the name of our meeting to The Inside Cabin's "Tuxedo Junction"  - So for those in the know - the code phrase will be - "Meet me at the Junction"   Or "Are you going to the Junction"   The exact location and time of the "Junction" will be a closely guarded secret and shared with only those who are in the the Club...

Plus we now have our own theme song,   So the next meeting of "The Inside Cabin's Tuxedo Junction" will be held on the Zuiderdam at 4:30 in the Ocean Bar, March 14th - Feel free to come late - At our first meeting we all reassembled for dinner in the MDR.   I will reserve a table for 7:30

Shhhhhhh-don't tell anyone - it's a secret!

Hope to see other Tuxedo Junctions appear throughout the fleet!

Here is the official Theme Song - which is required to be played to kick off each meeting

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I would love to be there, but I will be on the NA next week. I normally wear something quite fancy, but easily packable. This time, my son will be with me so I packed my mess dress uniform. It takes up more room but he can help me with luggage. Normally I just have one carryon for a cruise of 2 weeks or less. The Navy thought me well how to pack conservatively!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Navybikermom said:

I would love to be there, but I will be on the NA next week. I normally wear something quite fancy, but easily packable. This time, my son will be with me so I packed my mess dress uniform. It takes up more room but he can help me with luggage. Normally I just have one carryon for a cruise of 2 weeks or less. The Navy thought me well how to pack conservatively!

Nice!   I wore my mess dress when I was still active duty.    Looks great!!!!!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

What is your guess of the % of tuxedo-clad men on our Grand Asia?  

If you get 10 on the whole ship that would be a lot.   For now.  

I am not everywhere but I counted 6 so far out of 600 men.   Assuming 50 50 m/f split. 

thats 1 pct.   

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

What is your guess of the % of tuxedo-clad men on our Grand Asia?  

My guess would be maybe 35-40%.  What do you think?   All I know is they looked wonderful. They and the beautifully attired ladies just added so much to those special evenings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vinonme2 said:

My guess would be maybe 35-40%.  What do you think?   All I know is they looked wonderful. They and the beautifully attired ladies just added so much to those special evenings. 

I, too, was thinking of around 30%, at least for the 8:00 dinner.  I suspect that the percentages are higher on the Grands.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you get 10 on the whole ship that would be a lot.   For now.  

I am not everywhere but I counted 6 so far out of 600 men.   Assuming 50 50 m/f split. 

thats 1 pct.   

Was that for early sitting?  There always seem to be more on the 8:00 seating.  I hope you see a lot of white dinner jackets on your cruise - they look so coolt in the tropics.  Think Cary Grant!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tampa Girl said:

Was that for early sitting?  There always seem to be more on the 8:00 seating.  I hope you see a lot of white dinner jackets on your cruise - they look so coolt in the tropics.  Think Cary Grant!

That was at 4pm.   We then met for dinner at 7:30.   We normally eat late.    I usually see more tuxes late.   We'll see what happens on the 14th.   We are moving to the ocean bar.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I, too, was thinking of around 30%, at least for the 8:00 dinner.  I suspect that the percentages are higher on the Grands.  

My experience--even on the most recent cruises that I have sailed--the late sitting diners are more likely to be formally dressed on Gala/Formal evenings.  And, the longer the cruise, the probability increases. 

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I hope you see a lot of white dinner jackets on your cruise

I have admired for many years the gentlemen who wear white dinner jackets.  My first formal jacket was a Powder Blue with Black Piping Dinner Jacket (1980 style).  Just a simply beautiful garment.  For me to wear a white dinner jacket now, it would spend more time in the ship's laundry/dry cleaning department trying to get the stains off the labels, etc. than it would be worn by me.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Nice!   I wore my mess dress when I was still active duty.    Looks great!!!!!

I had very few occasions to wear mine.  Anyway, it wouldn't fit me now.  I still have my Navy sword, but never had reason to use that except one time when stationed in the Philippines and a large monkey was breaking the mirror on my Navy vehicle.  (I had driven it home for lunch and that was the only weapon we could have in the house)  On formal nights I wear a bar of miniature medals on my suit to give homage to my previous career.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I had very few occasions to wear mine.  Anyway, it wouldn't fit me now.  I still have my Navy sword, but never had reason to use that except one time when stationed in the Philippines and a large monkey was breaking the mirror on my Navy vehicle.  (I had driven it home for lunch and that was the only weapon we could have in the house)  On formal nights I wear a bar of miniature medals on my suit to give homage to my previous career.

Ray

I’ve had to upgrade my uniform components since I retired. Darn things keep shrinking in the closet…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ski ww said:

Here we are on the Prinsendam having dinner with the Capt., me in the white dinner jacket. The cruise was a Ft Lauderdale to Cape Town

DSCN1966.JPG

Nice pic - But sadly I learned that the ship's officers no longer have tuxedos in their uniform bag.   They may get a waiver to come to the Junction nevertheless.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ski ww said:

Here we are on the Prinsendam having dinner with the Capt., me in the white dinner jacket. The cruise was a Ft Lauderdale to Cape Town

What a great photo!  Thanks for posting it!

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

But sadly I learned that the ship's officers no longer have tuxedos in their uniform bag

No formal wear for the Officers?  What, then, do they wear on Gala Nights?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

What a great photo!  Thanks for posting it!

No formal wear for the Officers?  What, then, do they wear on Gala Nights?  

Maybe they stay in their cabins.  LOL

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Nice pic - But sadly I learned that the ship's officers no longer have tuxedos in their uniform bag.   They may get a waiver to come to the Junction nevertheless.....

You mean they no longer wear their white uniforms?  I don’t recall ever seeing an officer in a tuxedo - the dressy white uniforms - yes.  And I have been at a few officer’s and captain’s tables in my time 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

You mean they no longer wear their white uniforms?  I don’t recall ever seeing an officer in a tuxedo - the dressy white uniforms - yes.  And I have been at a few officer’s and captain’s tables in my time 😉 

Here's something to refresh your memory.   From March 2020.   

Captian Mercer at the Captains gala on the Amsterdam.   Looks like a HAL tux to me. 

BAF6E708-B102-4155-B76C-57C8B19FD9B0.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here's something to refresh your memory.   From March 2020.   

Captian Mercer at the Captains gala on the Amsterdam.   Looks like a HAL tux to me. 

BAF6E708-B102-4155-B76C-57C8B19FD9B0.jpeg

Just curious - was that World cruise of a Grand Voyage?

The reason I ask is I haven’t done one and on all my cruises the officers have been in white / black dress uniforms with a bow tie.  I didn’t think they were tuxes but I could be in error.  It wouldn’t be the first time 😉 My pic below is similar but I didn’t think of it as a tux at the time - from the Prinsendam… 

F6FFD73C-DF4A-4237-A5F4-E4CC23FF8589.thumb.png.a46191c8a5883d5c2f7a7dc1e846d4cc.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think officers are mixing with passengers too much right now because of COVID.  I’ve seen others mention this, and that was our observation recently on Koningsdam.  Makes a lot of sense.  It’ll be nice if things get back to normal someday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Just curious - was that World cruise of a Grand Voyage?

The reason I ask is I haven’t done one and on all my cruises the officers have been in white / black dress uniforms with a bow tie.  I didn’t think they were tuxes but I could be in error.  It wouldn’t be the first time 😉 My pic below is similar but I didn’t think of it as a tux at the time - from the Prinsendam… 

F6FFD73C-DF4A-4237-A5F4-E4CC23FF8589.thumb.png.a46191c8a5883d5c2f7a7dc1e846d4cc.png

I believe it would be proper to call what the Captain is wearing a uniform rather than a tux.  They probably have both dress blues and dress whites, similar to Navy uniforms.

• Like 3