Using WhatApp on Princess ?

We're sailing on Princess with their Princess plus package.

When I'm connected to their internet, can I receive telephone calls from home without any charge using WhatApp ?

I appears like there wouldn't be any charges since it's using the internet for connection. 

From what I understand the calling number has to use WhatsApp also when placing the call from land.

I'm not sure if that's true or not since it travels via the internet to your phone and it shouldn't make any difference.

I have read that between phones on the ship talking to each other both must have WhatsApp.

57 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

From what I understand the calling number has to use WhatsApp also when placing the call from land.

I'm not sure if that's true or not since it travels via the internet to your phone and it shouldn't make any difference.

I have read that between phones on the ship talking to each other both must have WhatsApp.

I think you are right on this ... both parties have to use the WhatsApp but I understand it works for calls over WiFi if you both have the app installed on your device.

• Like 1

Yes, it works well on board. My husband speaks to his partner in Europe every day using this and was able to use it this past week on board the Regal without issues. Our friend traveling with us used it as well. 

• Like 1

So my husband and I have both downloaded the app to use while onboard the ship, possible to call each other if needed, lol.  But would my daughter also have to download app on her phone to be able to call me or me to call her? Thanks!

Yes you are correct you can make voice and video calls with whats app.  Many airlines also allow free use of whatsapp texting while in flight.  

I use whatsapp as well as some other messaging services when sailing on Princess, works great.

I use What’s App often since my daughter lives in Germany. Both parties must have it and set it up. Do this before you cruise or are out of the country. Test it before you need to use it.

On a ship it is fine if you have strong WiFi. Make sure you are in airplane mode- cellular off. I was on the Rotterdam transatlantic and it was good until the WiFi had issues. I could talk to my son but there was a long delay. We could hear each other but it was difficult because of the delay. It was announced on the ship that they were trying to get a better WiFi signal but we were not in a good position for the satellite. 

If your phone has WiFi calling, you can use that just as you would any call- but make sure you are in airplane mode. WiFi calling needs to be turned on in your settings- at least on an iPhone.

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

Yes, and many have also stated that wifi calling worked for them (no charge) so that you can call anyone and not just WhatsApp members.  Having said that, I've used apps that worked just fine but wifi calling has never worked for me. 

We live in an area where our cell signal is terrible indoors. With our last phones it constantly dropped calls & sometimes the phone didn't even ring. Our newer android phones now have Wi-Fi & it works wonderful. I never realized how great it was to be able to use the phone without having to stand near a window, 

I'm looking forward to using WhatsApp on the ship for occasionally contacting my husband.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to say that the WhatsApp has been working great on the Enchanted. The signal strength has been good most places on the ship and both messaging, calls and video calls are possible. 

I took a call from a friend yesterday at the buffet and he didn't know we were on the ship, the quality was so good until I told him.

Also, if anyone wants to use the Zello walkie-talkie app, it also works great.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, CarelessAndConfused said:

Yes, her number would have to registered with WhatsApp as well.

I suppose so if both people were on the ship but yesterday I took a call from a friend who calls using an internet connection to my phone here on the ship.

No problem. My phone was in airplane mode also. 

• Like 1

Sorry for maybe repeating questions, but we are new to smartphones and have been really worried about trying to use them on the ship on a cruise to the Med in Sept. and ending up with a big bill from our service provider. So if I understand what's been said, my husband and I both need to install WhatsApp (really don't know what this is, but will figure it out!), then put phones in airplane mode, and we could use our phones to talk to each other on the ship. Additionally, if our daughters installed WhatsApp, they could call our phones using the app and we could answer and talk to them, with no charge. Am I missing anything?

3 hours ago, konatyme said:

Sorry for maybe repeating questions, but we are new to smartphones and have been really worried about trying to use them on the ship on a cruise to the Med in Sept. and ending up with a big bill from our service provider. So if I understand what's been said, my husband and I both need to install WhatsApp (really don't know what this is, but will figure it out!), then put phones in airplane mode, and we could use our phones to talk to each other on the ship. Additionally, if our daughters installed WhatsApp, they could call our phones using the app and we could answer and talk to them, with no charge. Am I missing anything?

I may be wrong but from what I understand, as long as using the internet to make calls there is no charge.

If you switch the phone off of airplane mode they would charge you per minute. 

Both people must have the app, correct? Wondering about calling my 94 year old father from the ship. He does not have a smart phone. He uses a phone called a jitterbug.  I think it’s for old people. As far as I know you can’t install an app on that phone. 

6 minutes ago, atobols said:

We cruise with our two teen boys.  We have had luck making phone calls using Discord from person to person on the ship and with making wifi calls to people back on land.

Wifi calls can’t go to a landline or to a basic cellphone, like this Jitterbug gizmo, right? 

You can make calls to (and receive calls from) a regular (landline or mobile) telephone from your mobile phone.  You cannot receive or send regular text messages while on the ship (without paying for cruise cellular service).

basically here’s how it works:

When placing calls, a mobile phone places the call either through GSM (your cell service provider) or through VoWiFi (Voice over WiFi).  If you enable WiFi calling, and disable GSM, your call goes over WiFi to your service provider, so as long as you have an internet connection, and your provider supports it your call goes over the internet to your service provider, who then connects the call like any other call.  With MedallionNet access, you’re already paying for the internet connection, and aren’t hitting the cellular service, so no roaming.  Apps like Discord, Zoom, Intermedia Unite, etc., all can take your call, and route it over the internet,  and then send it to another user of that app, or out to a normal telephone call (for a separate charge)

When texting, the app determines how the text is sent.  Applications like WhatsApp send the data over the internet, but only sends that data to WhatsApp users.  Applications like your phone’s text feature send the info to your cell provider, and they then route it to other telephone numbers via SMS message.  So if you want to use something like WhatsApp, it goes via internet, but both people have to be using it.  If you want to send it to a phone number (via SMS) you have to send it through your cell service (or through an app which provides SMS messaging for a charge)

(There are alternatives and exceptions to the above information, but that’s the general summary.

here’s a good write up on the process for making calls

Edited by WAvoyager
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jeno said:

Wifi calls can’t go to a landline or to a basic cellphone, like this Jitterbug gizmo, right? 

Yes, they can.  As long as your mobile service provider supports it. 🙂

Edited by WAvoyager

My only issue with WhatsApp is that it's owned and operated by Meta (Facebook). I don't have nor do I want a FB account. I don't have any faith at all in the data integrity of WhatsApp since it is FB.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

My only issue with WhatsApp is that it's owned and operated by Meta (Facebook). I don't have nor do I want a FB account. I don't have any faith at all in the data integrity of WhatsApp since it is FB.

I agree with you about Facebook.  I use it as little as possible and would love to switch over to a competitor, but people/family I do connect with time to time are sticking on FB as they probably have many other connections than I do.  Anyway, WhatsApp does not require a FB account IIRC.  It's communication is encrypted if that matters.  I know Meta owns it, but hard to avoid these mega-companies.  WhatsApp is of great use and significance to me, whereas if you took my FB account away tomorrow, I'd get over it.

One correction for the information I provided above - some of the carriers support both calls and text messages via WiFi connection.  So if your carrier does this, you can do either when you have your phone’s cellular connection turned off, and WiFi calling enabled.

• Like 2