The Daily for Saturday 03/05/2022

richwmn

Today is National Poutine Day, Reel Film Day, and National Absinthe Day

If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.--Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Elegant Pork Marsala
Drink of the Day - The Berry Thought Of You
Wine of the Day - Golan Heights Winery 2019 Mount Hermon Red (Galile
Destination of the Day - San Antonio (Santiago), Chile

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination San Diego, CA US eta 3/6
Zuiderdam   Destination Honolulu, Oahu, HI eta 3/6

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 15:00
Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Panama Canal

Eurodam   05:00 - 05:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Nassau, BS

Noordam   Drifting

0305World.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon.

It is 44°F and cloudy.

Today is my late dad's 10th memory.😢

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Interesting days.

Good quote.

Food sounds nice but I will give today's drink a miss.

Never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 Ukraine and all on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice and safe day 😷.

IMG-20220305-WA0000.jpg

Screenshot_20220305_114304.jpg

Screenshot_20220305_114409.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Not a big fan of Poutine but I do like fries.  I've never had absinthe.  I often enjoy old movies.

Love the quote.

Dinner sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The drink sounds interesting, hope it's not too sweet.  Hope the wine is tasty too.

Thanks in advance for all the pictures of today's port.

It's warming up to 5C today and sunny.🙂  Some of our snow will melt.

Prayers for our world.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Reel Film but pass on the Absinthe and the Poutine.  I love the Einstein quote.  Been to Valparaiso several times but just once to San Antonio, on the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America.  The meal suggestion sounds good.  I'll post my alternative later because I think there's a story behind it.

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and procedure March 7
Tana with pneumonia
Sam’s awful string of aides
Lady Hudson DSIL recovering from stent placement
Cruzn Terri DH with abdominal pain and treatment delays
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na0305.thumb.JPG.28aae830f4dc19c01fc6369a5721d1e2.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Special status for Kazu
1 day for Aliaschief and dwaliaschief (Azamara quest to 3/17)
1 day for kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16)
1 day for Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3)
7 days for Navybankermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
Welcome home Mr. Boston
NextOne packing supplies for Ukraine
ottahand7 4-star
ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to  3/8) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

I love poutine.  In 2018, we did a Canadian cruise on the Veendam and they had a poutine bar outside the Dive In.  Mushrooms, cheese, gravy.  I can still taste it.

• Like 25

Today's alternate menu suggestion is Strawberry Bisque(MDR), Grilled Colorado Lamb chops with spiced apple chutney, fresh mint sauce, and Not So Classic Baked Alaska as served on MS Prinsendam March 5, 2019.  My tablemates had other dinner plans so I decided that would be a good night to visit the Pinnacle Grill.  By this time, the chilled soups were mostly gone but served occasionally on the Grand Voyage.  On this night one of my favorites was on the MDR menu and I did not want to miss it.  I mentioned this to the Pinnacle manager and his response was "Certainly we can serve that to you here, so that's exactly what happened.

dishes05.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days!  Who doesn’t love poutine?  I’m tempted as I have curd 😉   Nice to see the old way of watching films celebrated.  I hate to date myself - but back in University, one of my part time jobs was showing films.  I learned to splice, switch the reel at the exact moment, etc.

Absinthe - the “green fairy” drink has had quite the history - made from the wormwood plant it had hallucinogenic properties and has been made illegal at various times.  Interesting enough - it’s actually a spirit - not a liqueur.

85B14CE0-4646-4045-85D6-D36BC02AB64D.jpeg.8076a21fe0d0038d67f5ff39226da87c.jpeg

Love the Einstein quote!  The drink of the day sounds intriguing and the meal elegant indeed.  We haven’t been to today’s port but we have been to Santiago where we stayed pre-cruise back in the day when HAL did not sail from San Antonio but from Valparaiso (a gorgeous spot).  Santiago is an absolutely wondrous city with much history and well worth a visit of more than just a few hours.

Topped up the gas tank in the car on the way home from the hospital and after a mild heart attack (kidding) at the price, I reminded myself of this as I thought of the poor people of Ukraine.

68526320-B265-44CB-8BAA-AC5D0CC621B0.thumb.jpeg.df8f401a862952242643e06f835b42e5.jpeg

Lots of CC friends getting ready to sail on a BHB.  I’m getting kind of jealous.  Hope they don’t suffer from too much cruise withdrawal when they get back 🤞 

FBA19B93-52AA-4310-B19B-76F95EB89009.jpeg.44cc1d9a1a7a7f24943e51272d39d1a9.jpeg

This is going to sound awful, but I am kind of grateful there is a storm coming tomorrow and will have a valid excuse not to go to the hospital.  I really need a break to regroup.  DH has been deteriorating IMO and blasting me for things I have done (when I’m not there).  I’m hoping he is improved today.  If people ask me how he’s doing now, I just say “don’t ask”.  There is a box of Kleenex in the car for the way home when needed.  It will soon have to be replaced.  So, I probably won’t be saying much unless things improve.  I’ll just do some memes to keep in contact.

5DC52097-5008-4774-9F5B-D3E48F6889AC.thumb.jpeg.77b112e30d3a712dcb7d07a71d90c160.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!

83F305C5-3B72-418C-BBBB-9E2305534DA4.thumb.jpeg.d82411e6ccc44826edc6af60ac5e941f.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

37BA01FC-DF1A-4163-B9A3-7D3B317B6103.jpeg.8a47b5d29749680bcc9894586e18fc85.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 20

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

This is going to sound awful, but I am kind of grateful there is a storm coming tomorrow and will have a valid excuse not to go to the hospital.  I really need a break to regroup.

Understood. Take care of yourself - or you won't be able to help Jose. We care.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.

I have had poutine and it was a one and done for me.   I didn't hate it, just wouldn't go out of my way to order it again.  I'll skip the Absinthe and celebrate Reel Film Day.  The weather forecast is mostly cloudy with a high of 68.  I'll take that.  I might spend part of my afternoon on the front porch people watching.  Putting that porch on the house is one of the best things I've done.  

Today's meal sounds really tasty.   My dad used to make us chicken marsala and that was good, so I imagine it would be just as good with pork.  This first recipe is made with boneless pork loin chops.  It is also made with turkey bacon, but I would probably use the real thing.  It is only two strips of bacon.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/elegant-pork-marsala/

1299583972_portmarsala1.jpg.aa7ae804285b5a8c67770a759b39ccb6.jpg

This next recipe makes a creamy sauce to go over the pork.   Doesn't it look delicious?

https://stripedspatula.com/creamy-pork-chops-marsala/

1697353457_porkmarsala2.thumb.jpg.1b5929510b612f2a64c7932268dfec51.jpg

This next one is made from a pork tenderloin that you slice into smaller pieces.   https://www.butterandbaggage.com/pork-marsala/

1657989825_porkmarsala3.thumb.jpg.43c1db0cb2a768c762e3969f894c518c.jpg

And this last one adds a little prosciutto to the mix for flavor.  https://playswellwithbutter.com/pork-marsala-recipe/

1659916070_porkmarsala4.thumb.jpg.d5357a6da719142ae9629279b18fc550.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially the people of Ukraine, Jen,  Kakalina, Tana, Terri's DH, and Jacqui and anyone else I inadvertently left out.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing all of you a wonderful day.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 9

Good morning! Up at 4 AM and now at airport waiting to board first leg to Atlanta then on to Miami! We are on our way to what we love doing? Cruising! So far all is going smoothly!

Thanks Rich for the fleet report and may all of you have a great weekend.

• Like 38

Thank you for the Daily Report.

Bon Voyage AliasChief!

Real poutine with the proper cheese curds is amazing!  I've never heard of having mushrooms in poutine.  That would be a deal breaker for me.  Bad poutine is awful and there is too much of it out there. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another gorgeous day here. It is lovely, but we have some much needed rain forecasted for next week. We will see how that works out.  I am sure our Bike Week visitors will not be as happy to see it as I am.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites!  Well, I ended up walking around the outskirts of our First Friday event just to see what was there. It was packed with people and no one had a mask on. So I ended up not even wandering in. Too bad, because the Fresh Maine lobster folk were there, and the weather was gorgeous. Even the Atlantic was blue/green.

Zumba this morning. Need to get out into the yard. And then off to a friend’s for dinner.

Just some random smiles this morning…

EAD88354-8D91-4309-BCA5-EE1376BCE480.jpeg.cdf30dd5a79841fbcace6d796e03f9fd.jpeg

679FA0E7-E1AB-44B3-BE77-E9F6B385B6A4.jpeg.2850a8df8d33d04eae3d3309afbddf73.jpeg

93A492B0-DF95-4C2C-8C7A-139F6B03B0E8.jpeg.272a98e6fc8a3746bd34d28e0dc6149d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone! 

Golan Heights Winery 2019 Mount Hermon Red

This Kosher red has very good reviews from critics and consumers. Available online from several distributors, with prices starting at $9.99. Note: this is not the vineyard’s Cab. This is their “Red”.

88 /100 Wine Enthusiast

2019 Vintage Tasted: Jul 2021

Black cherry to the eye, this wine features a bouquet of raspberry and Red Delicious apple peel. It is easy on the palate, with soft tannins, flavors of cherry, blackberry, vanilla and clove and a note of orange peel on the finish. 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

4a6f67cd86a35b4e0b55ae5abdb84512.jpg

4dbb63e4496c05e1e29d23b445f1fde7.jpg

Happy Saturday!  Another warm day, no sun though.  Another week when we didn't make it to the store for groceries, just drive by to pick up cat crunchies and cream for coffee

Last night we went to our favorite BBQ place, they hand us the menus, and the menus are new.  I said to the waitress, new menu, and she said new prices.  Everything had gone up two dollars.  BUT they did add two items.  One of them was a special Tater Tots, with BBQ dipping sauce.  I love Tots and at 5 bucks, I was expecting a ton of tots, and great dippy sauce.  The plate arrives with 18 tots.  And no sauce. I ask the waitress where the sauce was, and she said, this a new item, and she had no idea. I said you are charging me 5 bucks for 18 tots?  She asked if she should take them away.  I said no, She got the manager, he came over and asked what the problem was, i told him that his new item was definitely missing something.  It came out to 27 cents per tot.  He too asked if he should take them away.  I again said no, but where was the BBQ dipping sauce?  He didn't know.  DH and i eat at this place at least once a week,   And the bill is between 24-34 dollars, last night before tip, the bill was 45.00.   DH and I decided the breakfast menu was still a good deal, but not the lunch and dinner menu.  So, another restaurant will be off our list.  I get that the cost of food is going up, but the sizes of servings shouldn't get smaller if the price is going up.

Sorry, done venting.

Have a great day!

• Like 32
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

Thank you for the Daily Report.

Bon Voyage AliasChief!

Real poutine with the proper cheese curds is amazing!  I've never heard of having mushrooms in poutine.  That would be a deal breaker for me.  Bad poutine is awful and there is too much of it out there. 

People keep telling me that Costco (Canada) has good poutine. Can any Canadian dailyites confirm that for me? Having never had poutine I wouldn’t know the difference.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Reel Film but pass on the Absinthe and the Poutine.  I love the Einstein quote.  Been to Valparaiso several times but just once to San Antonio, on the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America.  The meal suggestion sounds good.  I'll post my alternative later because I think there's a story behind it.

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui Jose, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and procedure March 7
Tana with pneumonia
Sam’s awful string of aides
Lady Hudson DSIL recovering from stent placement
Cruzn Terri DH with abdominal pain and treatment delays
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
From the rotation:
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na0305.thumb.JPG.28aae830f4dc19c01fc6369a5721d1e2.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Special status for Kazu
1 day for Aliaschief and dwaliaschief (Azamara quest to 3/17)
1 day for kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16)
1 day for Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3)
7 days for Navybankermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
Welcome home Mr. Boston
NextOne packing supplies for Ukraine
ottahand7 4-star
ottahand7 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/6),  DeeniEncinitas (Riviera to  3/8) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for supplying today's lists.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@kazu Jacqui, thank you for recognizing you have to take care of yourself. It is so easy to lose oneself in this type of situation. ❤️

@marshhawk  Ann - vent away. No one complains about someone making a reasonable profit. But some folks’ idea of what is reasonable needs a great deal of work. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning  everyone. I woke up early to no heat in the house and as much as I hated to wake him I let DSIL know.It seems the workers yesterday inadvertently  switched something off with the boiler.It is going now but this is an old house so we will keep our fleeces and hats on.We  piled more blankets on Tana and she just had breakfast in bed. It should get up to the mid forties  later which will be nice for dog walks.

I had poutine on a Canadian cruise and really liked it.It is not easy to come by here but my DSIL in Fall River Massachusetts  has several places in town where we get it when I am visiting. I like the quote and will try recipe number 2 tomorrow. Tonight I am taking a night off and we are ordering  from our favorite  diner.

@grapau27,Graham, prayers for you and Pauline on this tenth anniversary  for your Dad.I find  these dates very hard at times but it is always nice to remember  the good days with our loved ones.

@kazu, Jacqui, I am sure the medical staff has told you how any change in location or routine wreaks havoc  when one is confused. It doesn't  make it any easier to deal with.I hope you can take time to yourself for more than a day. 

I am looking into assisting  at the Ukranian Church in downtown  Yonkers.They need people to help pack donations. DD and I signed up for today as we were feeling so helpless watching the horrible news every day. 

Terry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  A nice warm 52F when we awoke so we walked to the gym and did our workout.  I noticed they have opened up all the treadmills for use now instead of just every other one.  They started to remove the caution tape from the drinking fountain to begin using it again, but 2 years of non-use has caused it to stop working permanently so they have to order a new one.  Good to see things getting back to normal there.  I also looked up my DD's school district Covid Dashboard on their district website and  there are only 5 students in quarantine in their entire district (huge).  No positive cases either.  Major improvement!  Starting to feel positive that we can pull ourselves out of the hole we've been in.  

Thankful for the Daily each day and our Care and Celebration lists from Rich and Roy.  Many prayers said for Ukraine and those sending help, as well as our Care list.  Cheers to those celebrating happy things.  We can all use some happiness in our lives. Hugs to Jacqui who could use a break right now. Never tried poutine or absinthe.  I do remember the days of the reel films!  Pork marsala sounds like something I'd give a try.  Nice quote.  San Antonio, Chile was last posted April 12, 2021.  We sailed from there on our last cruise in early January 2020.  We've also been to Santiago and Valparaiso.  I agree that Santiago is a big city and Valparaiso has a lot of charm.  I'll post what I posted back on April 12.

We sailed from San Antonio when we were on Coral Princess for our last Antarctica cruise.  Because of a storm along the coast the fuel bunker ship couldn't make it to port in time to fuel us for Antarctica, so we had to spend the night in the port waiting for it to arrive.  I have a few pictures to show you.  We didn't take any photos in town for some reason, just as we were leaving port.enhance

I think that might have been a shopping mall in the above photo. enhance

enhance

We needed tugs to get out of there because of the high winds.  As you can see there were rocks near the entrance of the harbor and they had lots of seals hanging out on them.enhance

This is what they showed us on our TV screens as warnings for the days ahead.  It was a nasty storm!

enhance

But we still had our Cruise Critic meet and greet.enhance

enhance

For some reason I didn't take any photos in town.  It's very small and we didn't spend much time there, just to a local store for some drinks and things to take with us on the ship.  If someone else has some photos of San Antonio, I would love to see them posted.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It is 44°F and cloudy.

Today is my late dad's 10th memory.😢

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Interesting days.

Good quote.

Food sounds nice but I will give today's drink a miss.

Never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 Ukraine and all on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice and safe day 😷.

IMG-20220305-WA0000.jpg

Screenshot_20220305_114304.jpg

Screenshot_20220305_114409.jpg

Graham, hugs to you on the 10th heavenly birthday of your dear Dad.  My Mom's 10th was on Jan. 10 so just before your dear Dad.  😔

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  everyone. I woke up early to no heat in the house and as much as I hated to wake him I let DSIL know.It seems the workers yesterday inadvertently  switched something off with the boiler.It is going now but this is an old house so we will keep our fleeces and hats on.We  piled more blankets on Tana and she just had breakfast in bed. It should get up to the mid forties  later which will be nice for dog walks.

I had poutine on a Canadian cruise and really liked it.It is not easy to come by here but my DSIL in Fall River Massachusetts  has several places in town where we get it when I am visiting. I like the quote and will try recipe number 2 tomorrow. Tonight I am taking a night off and we are ordering  from our favorite  diner.

@grapau27,Graham, prayers for you and Pauline on this tenth anniversary  for your Dad.I find  these dates very hard at times but it is always nice to remember  the good days with our loved ones.

@kazu, Jacqui, I am sure the medical staff has told you how any change in location or routine wreaks havoc  when one is confused. It doesn't  make it any easier to deal with.I hope you can take time to yourself for more than a day. 

I am looking into assisting  at the Ukranian Church in downtown  Yonkers.They need people to help pack donations. DD and I signed up for today as we were feeling so helpless watching the horrible news every day. 

Terry

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, hugs to you on the 10th heavenly birthday of your dear Dad.  My Mom's 10th was on Jan. 10 so just before your dear Dad.  😔

Thank you both so much for your kind words.

My late mam's 10th memory was November 2nd just 4 months before my dad's.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! I'm not a fan of poutine, I'd rather have my fries plain.  This week, a restaurant in Quebec changed the name of the dish because in French poutine is pronounced exactly like a particular Russian leader's name.  Instead the menu read "Cheese and Gravy Fries".  My uncle and cousin used to run the film projector at the town theatre when I was a child; I often went in and was amazed at how they did it.  A polite "no" on the absinthe - we have a bottle of it in our liquor cabinet, but I don't care for the taste of it.  DH has a teaspoon of it once in a while.

Holy snowflake, Batman; did we get a bunch of them yesterday!  Well over a foot of snow dropped on us from about 1AM to 6 last night.  After that, I have no idea, but I see we'll be out there clearing again today, as it looks like another 3 or 4 inches.  The community group that should have shown up yesterday didn't (giving them the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure they were working their hearts out on other driveways), so our neighbour with a snow blower came over and did our driveway twice - first at 10AM and again at 4PM.  The banks that line our driveway are now so high I can only see over them if I stand on my tippy toes, and I'm 5'6" tall.  I'm glad we didn't have to go out in the mess, as there were lots of accidents with people who apparently drove as if they'd never seen snow before.  LOL

@marshhawkI think you were totally justified with your complaint in the restaurant - if you're going to charge more, you definitely shouldn't be reducing the serving sizes.

@kazu my heart goes out to you trying to deal with Jose's change in temperament; I'm sorry you don't have the luxury of having someone else you can tag team into the position of DSP.  Sure wish I could help.

@smitty34877 I think I'd be making oatmeal for breakfast to get everyone warmed up!

@grapau27thinking of you today as you remember your dear Dad.  No matter how many years pass, the date of their departure always weighs heavy on one's heart.

I like today's menu suggestion, but will tuck it away for another day - I've got ground beef thawing in the fridge that will be made into hamburgers.  Burgers in the George Foreman and air fried french fries along with crunchy coleslaw will be what's on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all those who are helping them.  We'll cheer on all who make up the happy list (which is nice and long) tonight as well.  Stay well, get your boosters, wear your masks when you feel you need to, be safe, wash your hands and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3