Diamond traveling with a newbie friend, access to diamond lounge?

4 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Lol, I’ve known the woman I’m traveling with longer than my husband, who is diamond because of me! I personally don’t see the harm in letting in your stateroom companion with you especially if they are paying for their own drinks, but whatever. There must be a reason for this rule, although on my last cruise my husband and I went to the DL and it was empty and very quiet 

Given that you now use your vouchers in the DL too ( it isn’t a free flow booze room any more) I don’t really see any point in going into the little cupboard structure they’ve slotted into the corner of a lounge just to get a drink.

JMHO

• Like 3

I have never tried to go in except during breakfast and happy hour, although it looks like a really nice place to hang out and read a book during the day.  But during those hours, there was indeed a host there checking people in.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, little britain said:

Given that you now use your vouchers in the DL too ( it isn’t a free flow booze room any more) I don’t really see any point in going into the little cupboard structure they’ve slotted into the corner of a lounge just to get a drink.

JMHO

You are absolutely right. The only reason I was considering going to the DL with my non-diamond cruise companion was to meet other people for friendly conversation in a relaxed environment. But since I’m diamond and she isn’t, I could not enjoy going to the lounge unless I go in by myself and leave her outside, even though we are on this cruise together in the same cabin. What is the point in that? I rather find somewhere else that would welcome us both. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm not saying that, I am saying it is meant for members only.

Has nothing to do with cruising alone.

The only time I really go there is for morning coffees.   May be an occassional happy hour.  

There are many places like this such as airport lounges that have certain requirements or fees, hotels that have executive lounges for gold + plus members such as Hilton etc 

I agree in some ways but this is a different situation. My non diamond friend is on this cruise with me in the same stateroom. As a diamond member I can go into the DL, but would have to go alone because she would not be allowed to accompany me. Unlike airport lounges etc where they offer free drinks and snacks, she would not be getting anything in the DL that she could not get elsewhere. The drinks in the DL aren’t free, you need a voucher, and the snacks you can get throughout the ship. It’s not even an issue of taking a seat away from a diamond member, because if my husband could have accompanied me on the cruise as originally planned, he would have been allowed in, so if she  is taking anyone’s seat it’s his. Yes rules should be followed but rules should also make sense and be flexible considering attenuating circumstances. Not a big deal, we will go elsewhere. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Not a big deal, we will go elsewhere. 

Politely saying...it is truly not a big deal...and with the vouchers, a lot of C&A members  have discovered other places on the ship.

We genuinely love the "voucher system" and hope it stays.

* Many years ago, when they had very few diamonds, they had "Diamond Events"...in small venues with just beer, wine, and some nuts or pretzels...no mixed drinks.

As more and more passengers graduated to diamonds, "Diamond Lounges" were created. Drink selection improved and drinks were UNLIMITED...hor d' veours replaced the nuts & pretzels. Happy Hour for 3 hours. It got so popular and crowded that "overflow" venues were added. Something had to be done.

Fast forward to today...having the vouchers may have solved the problem.

* You can get better drinks.

* You can use it all day.

* You can use it just about anywhere on the ship.

* And yes, you can share it.

The coffee machine is the only reason we visit. 

Edited by bonsai3s
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* Many years ago, when they had very few diamonds, they had "Diamond Events"...in small venues with just beer, wine, and some nuts or pretzels...no mixed drinks.

As more and more passengers graduated to diamonds, "Diamond Lounges" were created. Drink selection improved and drinks were UNLIMITED...hor d' veours replaced the nuts & pretzels. Happy Hour for 3 hours. It got so popular and crowded that "overflow" venues were added. Something had to be done.

Just my opinion but I believe Royal will be viewing the removal of the traditional happy hour to vouchers as better received than they would have expected. 

I really fear that this is the beginning of the end for the Diamond Lounge, hope I'm wrong but I am seeing something along the lines of an upgraded Key experience that includes a lounge.

6 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I agree in some ways but this is a different situation. My non diamond friend is on this cruise with me in the same stateroom. As a diamond member I can go into the DL, but would have to go alone because she would not be allowed to accompany me. Unlike airport lounges etc where they offer free drinks and snacks, she would not be getting anything in the DL that she could not get elsewhere. The drinks in the DL aren’t free, you need a voucher, and the snacks you can get throughout the ship. It’s not even an issue of taking a seat away from a diamond member, because if my husband could have accompanied me on the cruise as originally planned, he would have been allowed in, so if she  is taking anyone’s seat it’s his. Yes rules should be followed but rules should also make sense and be flexible considering attenuating circumstances. Not a big deal, we will go elsewhere. 

There are only 100 or so other locations to enjoy with your friend….why you feel this should be the 101st is beyond me. I don’t think your friend will be overly impressed with the lounge (or your status for that matter).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Op-
Your friend will not have access. If you choose to do everything together, you will have to skip the lounge. 

This happens to me often when I travel in the same cabin with a family member (or friend)  who is not the same C&A status. 

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

There are only 100 or so other locations to enjoy with your friend….why you feel this should be the 101st is beyond me. I don’t think your friend will be overly impressed with the lounge (or your status for that matter).

The reason I considered taking her to the DL had nothing to do with impressing her with anything. I thought that it would be a nice place to meet others for friendly conversation in a more relaxed setting than  some of the other venues (like the pool bar) that can get crowded. Since the institution of the drink vouchers all the DLs I’ve been in have been quite and relaxing and a good opportunity to speak to others without having to shout. Since she is new to cruising I thought it would be nice for her to meet experienced cruisers who would share their experiences and perhaps inspire her to continue to cruise. But considering some of the comments and tone on this thread she clearly would not be welcome, so again no one here needs to worry, she will not be “crashing” or “sneaking in”. The DL and it’s occupants are safe. And when I cruise with my husband, who is also diamond, I think we will avoid it too

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The technical answer is that it is not allowed...only spouses/partners share status.

The reality is that it varies by ship/concierge/sailing.  Pre covid, when drinks were still included in the lounge we sailed with a friend......3 Diamonds and him on his first cruise.  The concierge told us to bring him in with us as he was sharing a cabin with our son and clearly part of our immediate small group.  This was a European sailing in shoulder season.

Likewise, Thanksgiving week 2019 my oldest and their finance and finace's  parents sailed together.  Oldest is Diamond others had no status (fiance had to have one criuse before being allowed to share status...a big reason they took that cruise was so the fiance would be able to share satus on the honeymoon).  

My oldest popped into the lounge on Day 3 to check a menu and the conceirge asked why he wasn't seeing them in the evenings.  Oldest explained they were travelling with three people who have no status and he told them to bring the whole group in!  

On other sailings we have seen them checking all cards and being very clear that only the status holders can be in the lounge.  I think a lot comes down to how crowded it is on any given sailing, probably somewhat down to management too.  We always go in assuming that only the status holders can use the lounge, but if we are offered otherwise we are happy, tip well and do not complain.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I’m not sure you are thinking this through.  Royal wouldn’t have time to adjudicate every diamond members reason for bringing a guest into the lounge. You’re acting like their system doesn’t make sense, but there are surely good

reasons it is set up as it is.  The reality is there are so many diamond members that it would likely be swamped constantly if folks could bring guests and the concierge shouldn’t have to try to decide whether your story is valid while another isn’t.  

I too would’ve liked to bring guests at times on a cruise.  But that isn’t how it works so it wasn’t an option.  I wouldn’t take any of the comment personally.  These are just folks telling you the rules.  We didn’t make them and the reality is the rules are fair.  But when you travel with non diamond friends, you just have to default to non diamond locations.  Not a big deal at all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Politely saying...it is truly not a big deal...and with the vouchers, a lot of C&A members  have discovered other places on the ship.

We genuinely love the "voucher system" and hope it stays.

Yes, I totally agree that vouchers are wonderful and have enjoyed the flexibility.   The vouchers have definitely changed how the lounges are used nowadays.   Our last cruise we, too, only went for the free specialty coffees in the mornings.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I totally agree that vouchers are wonderful and have enjoyed the flexibility.   The vouchers have definitely changed how the lounges are used nowadays.   Our last cruise we, too, only went for the free specialty coffees in the mornings.

Does the coffee in the DL get

counted as a drink (ie. a drink 1 voucher)?  

1 minute ago, topnole said:

Does the coffee in the DL get

counted as a drink (ie. a drink 1 voucher)?  

No. but currently service is only for a few hours per day.  No self serve.

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Pre Covid,My sister who is diamond tried multiple times to link her long time boyfriend to her account but couldn’t.

Onboard she asked the loyalty ambassador and diamond concierge about it .
They both said that RC doesn’t link people anymore but as your companion he is welcome as your guest.
So just say she is your companion.

That is BS.

They DO link accounts.   But the two have to share an address.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

That is BS.

They DO link accounts.   But the two have to share an address.

Exactly.  And they don’t allow companions.  So either that loyalty ambassador had no idea what they were talking about, they just did it as a one off,

or as happens sometimes things are remembered a bit differently than what was actually said.  

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Well at least it doesn’t count as one of the 4-5 voucher drinks.  I guess the better coffee is still one big perk to accessing the lounge.  In years past there was almost always a line for it.  I guess that reason remains for why the concierge wouldn’t want non diamond guests in the DL.  Lord knows some of those machines required a lot of attention from staff.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Heymarco said:

It really is just a conference room that offers nothing more than a sense of entitlement. Everything else can be found elsewhere. Do you really think that that someone should have to go alone on a cruise? Hope that day never comes for you. Sheesh.

You have got to be kidding.  Have to go alone?   No one has to go to the diamond lounge and if it is what you say, why would she have to go in the first place?   

If I usually travel with my family who are all diamond or above, but then travel with a group of friends who aren’t, should I get to bring all of them as a substitute since it just as easily could’ve been my family with me?   Of course not.  I wouldn’t even consider trying.  But I would pop in the DL for coffee that I can’t get elsewhere in the ship for free.  So sad I would have to do that all by myself and my friend would be all by themselves while I did that.   My goodness, what will they do all by themselves in that timeframe.  And what if I strike up a conversation with someone else while in there and I’m delayed.  Do you think my adult friend will be OK all by themselves?  What on earth will they do without me?  

My guess is half the folks in there would love to be by themselves for a while and get a break from whoever they are traveling with.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you all for your responses. I knew about the diamond vouchers, but I still like to go into the DL every once in a while to relax. I usually travel with the hubby who is diamond also, so I wasn’t sure how it works otherwise. 

You won't find the DL that relaxing during Happy Hour any longer.  It's packed, noisy, and tough to find a seat.  Hence the wonderful decision that RCI made to give us vouchers (and you still have to use your voucher in the DL, no more unlimited drinks).  

The DH and I rarely ever use the DL/SL/CL now, just too crowded.  We find quieter lounges around the ship, and can use those vouchers anytime now....if we feel like an early HH.  🙂 

The only thing I use keyed lounges for now...is my early morning Latte.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Lol, I’ve known the woman I’m traveling with longer than my husband, who is diamond because of me! I personally don’t see the harm in letting in your stateroom companion with you especially if they are paying for their own drinks, but whatever. There must be a reason for this rule, although on my last cruise my husband and I went to the DL and it was empty and very quiet 

The reason is simple.  Crowding in the DL has just become unreal.  The vouchers were designed to help with that problem, and it is helping...but it's still nuts in that lounge. Trying to find a seat is hard enough with members alone.  Plus D+ is now kicked back to the DL...and lately...Pinnacles.  Try stuffing 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag.  😉 😮 

DL is for Diamonds and above...only.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Was self serve on Anthem in January, during the omicron blow up and was available from 7 am to whatever time the lounge closes at night time.

And there was self serve snacks, fruits, danishes, etc.