Diamond traveling with a newbie friend, access to diamond lounge?

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Great - thanks for the update.  It is available all day?

m

Happily yes...

We've been lucky.  We get coffee once in the morning and  once in the afternoon. It hasn't broken down, ran out of beans, and no waiting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I get the concept of linking for future loyalty, but it isn't really fair to the people that actually earned the status.

As mentioned before, spouse linking makes sense, but not really sure about kid matching.  But kid matching should be based on the last cruise they actually took prior to turning 18.  For example, a kid goes on their last cruise at 12 when their parents are Platinum.  At 18 their parents are now D+.  The kid's status should remain at Platinum. 

They could just not do any kid matching. They could just allow them in the lounge with parents.  Why match them in the first place?  But again, not my company and not my rules.  

It so ridiculously easy to make diamond and get lifetime benefits they will be forced to do something at some point anyhow.  Just the 3 week long cruises in a suite when they were doing the double points promotion and you are now diamond for life.  Way too easy when you give away free drinks.  

• Like 1

I’m thrilled they started the voucher system. Now I can enjoy my free drinks wherever and whenever I want. I haven’t been in a Diamond lounge since the vouchers started.  Peeked in on my last two Anthem cruises since the restart and the room was packed with wall to wall people. 
BTW, Celebrity used to allow you to bring a cabin mate to their happy hour event for Elite. I haven’t sailed them in a while, but that was how it used to be. If they were in the same cabin with you they were allowed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

I’m thrilled they started the voucher system. Now I can enjoy my free drinks wherever and whenever I want. I haven’t been in a Diamond lounge since the vouchers started.  Peeked in on my last two Anthem cruises since the restart and the room was packed with wall to wall people. 
BTW, Celebrity used to allow you to bring a cabin mate to their happy hour event for Elite. I haven’t sailed them in a while, but that was how it used to be. If they were in the same cabin with you they were allowed. 

Which IMO should never been allowed. Currently Celebrity isn't even doing the CC HH in the evening. 

5 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

You didn't ask, but the complimentary waters in your cabin on boarding day are just for you. The toilet will detect non-diamonds inappropriately accessing said waters and authorities will be notified. 

As it should be. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

We had dinner at 8, so we were there around  7:15- 7:30.It was not busy at all. You didn’t miss anything. 

When we used to eat dinner later....going into the CL or DL between 6-6:30, which was what I used to call  "magic hour".  Could always find a seat when the stampede to early dinner parade had filed out. 

I actually found the DL on Odyssey having very little atmosphere.  Too bright, plain, no real character.  

Spent a 4-5 visits in Music Hall for HH...but our favorite...was Giovanni's wine bar.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Which IMO should never been allowed. Currently Celebrity isn't even doing the CC HH in the evening. 

Like I said, I haven’t been on Celebrity since before the restart, but I remember seeing that somewhere. With the inclusion of the drink packages on Celebrity I can’t say that I’ve been to that HH in years. 

24 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I'm sure you will have a good trip.  And likely there will be times that  you are not together  24/7 .  Maybe you will have a chance  to pop in the lounge  for a few minutes.

Enjoy

M  

I’m sure we won’t be together all the time but I really wouldn’t go in myself, no reason to. Thanks for the well wishes, I’m sure we will have a blast

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

When we used to eat dinner later....going into the CL or DL between 6-6:30, which was what I used to call  "magic hour".  Could always find a seat when the stampede to early dinner parade had filed out. 

I actually found the DL on Odyssey having very little atmosphere.  Too bright, plain, no real character.  

Spent a 4-5 visits in Music Hall for HH...but our favorite...was Giovanni's wine bar.  

I meant to try that wine bar but never got to it. Next time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

I meant to try that wine bar but never got to it. Next time. 

The bartender in there was so nice...and it was a great "people watching" area.  Soft comfy, much nicer chairs....wonderful service...better wines.  😉  Also a full alcohol bar...Bucky liked his Gin & T...which the bartender would have going as we walked in. 🙂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Like I said, I haven’t been on Celebrity since before the restart, but I remember seeing that somewhere. With the inclusion of the drink packages on Celebrity I can’t say that I’ve been to that HH in years. 

I believe Celebrity will bring back the CC HH. We use to get the CBP as a bundled option and our next three Celebrity cruises have the AI package which includes the CBP. Either way did and will attend the CC HH when it starts back up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I totally agree that vouchers are wonderful and have enjoyed the flexibility.   The vouchers have definitely changed how the lounges are used nowadays.   Our last cruise we, too, only went for the free specialty coffees in the mornings.

Did the specialty coffee require a voucher and could customize your coffee like Cafe Promenade or Cafe 270?

3 hours ago, topnole said:

My guess is half the folks in there would love to be by themselves for a while and get a break from whoever they are traveling with.  

We are freshly minted diamonds... I may not ever tell my wife there is a diamond lounge 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We are freshly minted diamonds... I may not ever tell my wife there is a diamond lounge 🙂 

You wouldn't be missing anything.  😉   

For me...just the coffee machine for my morning Lattes. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

It amazes me that so many people are so possessive and proud of their diamond status. 🤣 The barrier to entry is so low compared to other loyalty programs. Try earning status at a hotel or with an airline, those are the true road warriors. Status with those groups have to be re-earned annually (except for super high lifetime achievements). Maybe time to introduce this in the cruise industry. If you don’t earn 80 points a year, you lose diamond status… problem solved.

I ve been diamond for a while but I realize it’s just because I cruise often, not because I cured cancer. I and am very happy to have the drink vouchers and, up to now, the DL. People just see things differently. I for one don’t care if a diamond member’s cabin mate is allowed in if the lounge is half empty and she/he is not drinking my drinks or eating my food. This whole controversy reminds me of when my son would have kids over and I’d give them a snack. There was always one little boy who couldn’t enjoy the slice of pie in front of him because he was checking if someone else got a bigger piece. I’d have ti tell them to “play nice”.  I realize that other people do care about non diamond cruisers being allowed in under any circumstances. I get it. That’s their opinion.  The rules are the rules, I get that too.  Since I have a different view, I don’t think the DL is for me, either alone or with my diamond status husband

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, topnole said:

Just the 3 week long cruises in a suite when they were doing the double points promotion and you are now diamond for life.  Way too easy when you give away free drinks.

Would have taken 4 weeks if doing week long. First cruise would not be extra point for suite or double, as need to be gold already to get that. So 7 the 1st week. 3 more weeks at 4 points a day get you to 84 plus the 7. 

Edited by RedIguana

2 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Would have taken 5 weeks if doing week long. First cruise would not be extra point for suite or double, as need to be gold already to get that. So 7 the 1st week. 3 more weeks at 3 points a day get you to 70. Need the 5th week to top 80. Solo becomes another matter:)

Under the double points promo, a suite would get 4 points / night, not 3.

You could take a 3 night cruise in a non-suite, then 3 weeks (28 pts* each week) in a suite to get to Diamond.

* 1 pt + 1 for suite = 2 * 2 (double pts promo) = 4 pts /night * 7 nights = 28 pts.

3 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

It's funny how ANY "Hey, I've got a question...can I do this???" post on here turns into a long thread of "HOW DARE YOU!!!" responses.

Yes, because I earned it.....and the person wanted to invite people who did not earn it.   It's like, can I share threads or other threads asking if they can be exempt from a rule for any reason......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Did the specialty coffee require a voucher and could customize your coffee like Cafe Promenade or Cafe 270?

Cappuccino or latte   ( and I think) macchiato .  Single or double shot.  Most just have regular beans - no decaf.  More than that, you'll need to go to Cafe Promenade and use a voucher.  

M

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Congratulations on reaching Diamond!   No voucher used for any of the coffees.    There is a self-serve coffee machine for the specialty coffees.   You can make espresso, cappuccino, latte, mocha and they have the standard coffee and decaf coffee.        I usually make myself a latte with an extra shot of espresso      There is a choice of half n half or milk (maybe one other selection for cream).     

There is no hazelnut, vanilla, etc flavorings to add like when I get my iced latte from the barista in the WJ on some ships I will add a splash of hazelnut flavoring.  

This is available all day.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, dleahy4444 said:

I’m diamond but my friend has never cruised before. Will she be able to access the diamond lounge with me if we go together? I assume she won’t be getting the diamond vouchers but if she gains entrance and feels like a cocktail could she purchase one there? Thanks!

Please don't take up the space that could keep those who have earned the benefit from getting in. You can buy your friend a drink with one of your free ones in the comfort of any venue onboard. Thank you for being considerate.

3 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I ve been diamond for a while but I realize it’s just because I cruise often, not because I cured cancer. I and am very happy to have the drink vouchers and, up to now, the DL. People just see things differently. I for one don’t care if a diamond member’s cabin mate is allowed in if the lounge is half empty and she/he is not drinking my drinks or eating my food. This whole controversy reminds me of when my son would have kids over and I’d give them a snack. There was always one little boy who couldn’t enjoy the slice of pie in front of him because he was checking if someone else got a bigger piece. I’d have ti tell them to “play nice”.  I realize that other people do care about non diamond cruisers being allowed in under any circumstances. I get it. That’s their opinion.  The rules are the rules, I get that too.  Since I have a different view, I don’t think the DL is for me, either alone or with my diamond status husband

You posed the question and seems the majority of responses say No your friend should not be entitled to a perk that she has not yet earned by spending thousands of $$$ to reach Diamond or higher.   Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted and no longer wish to go to the DL. 

I hope you and your friend have a wonderful cruise.     There are many places you can sit, relax and meet new people with lots of great bars other than the pool deck where it tends to be loud/lively.     Enjoy🤩

• Like 3