What were your most useful trivia prizes?

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Maybe she gets delivered once you are home.

My wife is looking over my shoulder, so I have to say I would never settle for second best.

• Like 2

Re trivia prizes, Imay have told this true story before...anyway, it is 2012 and we are on P& O UK Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton. The ship is on a worldie, Southampton to Southampton. So on board, 2000 souls, probably 1500 Brits and 500 Aussies.

Anyway, come the second last night before Southampton, the parade of the chefs...etc. A couple of poms on next table to us, we had seen them win prize after prize after prize at trivia in the 7 weeks we were on board. So they go around the MDR at dinner, with this big plastic bag, chocka block full of trivia prizes, water bottles, T shirts, luggage holders, pens, caps etc, you know what I mean and they are handing them out to all the waiters and head waiters in the mdr. Out waiter says, they are well known on P&O this is what they do, they are on for the full 3 and a half month cruise, pay no tips and do this trivia prize handout to wait staff. He was fair dinkum too. What a couple of tight wads.

True story folks, I was there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Re trivia prizes, Imay have told this true story before...anyway, it is 2012 and we are on P& O UK Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton. The ship is on a worldie, Southampton to Southampton. So on board, 2000 souls, probably 1500 Brits and 500 Aussies.

Anyway, come the second last night before Southampton, the parade of the chefs...etc. A couple of poms on next table to us, we had seen them win prize after prize after prize at trivia in the 7 weeks we were on board. So they go around the MDR at dinner, with this big plastic bag, chocka block full of trivia prizes, water bottles, T shirts, luggage holders, pens, caps etc, you know what I mean and they are handing them out to all the waiters and head waiters in the mdr. Out waiter says, they are well known on P&O this is what they do, they are on for the full 3 and a half month cruise, pay no tips and do this trivia prize handout to wait staff. He was fair dinkum too. What a couple of tight wads.

I have found many similar Cruisers, stay on for multiple cruises (B2b2b2b2), getting the same questions in multiple trivias and get perfect scores day after day. I haven't seen them replace the tips with the prizes though, normally they just give them to whoever came second.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I have found many similar Cruisers, stay on for multiple cruises (B2b2b2b2), getting the same questions in multiple trivias and get perfect scores day after day. I haven't seen them replace the tips with the prizes though, normally they just give them to whoever came second.

This couple were well known on P&O UK, mic.

46 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Tight wads alright.

Just opened a book, out falls Celebrity Cruises Life Trivia answer sheet, looking at the answered I do wonder what the questions were, doubt it was one where we got a prize either, though we have won with some pretty low scores at times.

One cruise (our first I think) became a bit embarrassing as after the first couple of rounds we would walk into the room and tables would be call*ng for us to join them, after two tables had a massive argument over which team “owned us” we stopped going.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

One cruise (our first I think) became a bit embarrassing as after the first couple of rounds we would walk into the room and tables would be call*ng for us to join them, after two tables had a massive argument over which team “owned us” we stopped going.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We now claim you. 😂

On 3/14/2022 at 10:42 AM, GUT2407 said:

So are you claiming that you ( and Mrs Gut) were the prize? 🤔🤔🤔

On 3/13/2022 at 4:09 PM, MicCanberra said:

We had the same thing on the Azamara B2B Tokyo to Vancouver. Some people who had also been on the two previous cruise so B2B2B2B in the most expensive suite brought their answers with them. Especially when it came to naming faces, places etc. They would win most games of trivia. We did our best to beat them. All this for drink bottles etc.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, benjoon said:

We had the same thing on the Azamara B2B Tokyo to Vancouver. Some people who had also been on the two previous cruise so B2B2B2B in the most expensive suite brought their answers with them. Especially when it came to naming faces, places etc. They would win most games of trivia. We did our best to beat them. All this for drink bottles etc.

I just don't understand the mentality of people who do that.

Cruise lines need to have more than a standard set of trivia questions. I'm sure it could be done relatively easily. Just set up a database with thousands of trivia questions and a bit of software that randomly selects twenty or so at a time. Those ones get flagged as used so they aren't re-used within a certain timeframe. To make it really sophisticated each question could be categorized so there is a good mix of questions in each draw. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's easy enough just to get literally thousands of trivia questions from the internet.

Yes but the cruise lines need to have something set up on a computer on each ship so the trivia host can just go select what options they want and get a fresh set of questions, sometimes 2-3 times a day. That way there would be virtually zero chance of anyone cheating.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just don't understand the mentality of people who do that.

Cruise lines need to have more than a standard set of trivia questions. I'm sure it could be done relatively easily. Just set up a database with thousands of trivia questions and a bit of software that randomly selects twenty or so at a time. Those ones get flagged as used so they aren't re-used within a certain timeframe. To make it really sophisticated each question could be categorized so there is a good mix of questions in each draw. 

Agreed, 

We have been on cruises where a host will ask the same question as the day before, they get told and lo and behold, it is the same full set of questions, it can be quite fun then watching them make up 20 new questions on the spot.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And they get so many answers wrong (who was Australia’s first female Lord Mayor), and so many others are country variable (how many wheels on a semi trailer)

We once had a question - who won 1952 Melbourne Cup. I said “nobody would know that, that’s not a standout winner. They wouldn’t ask such an obscure question” So I put Phar Lap, knowing it won in 1930, but knowing that’s the sort of answer for trivia. Answers given: “PHAR LAP”. So we were the only ones to get the right wrong answer 😳

• Haha 1