Cruise lines thinking of Fuel Surcharges

dkjretired

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I do think it would scare many away, not permanently but they'll simply wait it out.

X right now is offering a 25% off sale, if for their next sale they offer 20% hardly anyone will notice, if they charge a fee, everyone will notice and many will call in to attempt to get it waived by claiming they booked before the fee (even though they didn't read their contract).  That's just the reality if they decide to charge.

The sale price on our cruises during the timeframe are all higher thank what we booked.  Occasionally a sale is a sale but mostly not just raising the price so they can have a sale a week or do later.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

IMO nonsense on all you say here.  Say it was a $10/day surcharge, 7 or 10 day cruise, someone already paying 8 grand or so gonna flip out about another 70 or 100 bucks?!?!   And the people who “blitz” customer support over it, need to find a real problem independent of their luxury cruise.

I'm going to bet they have actual data on their price elasticity. And oddly enough, demand frequently increases as price increases for luxury products. So maybe they move those people to higher fares and everyone's happy. Except price buyers.

No, I wouldn't like it either, but $140 for two of us on a 7 day cruise really wouldn't change our plans.

7 hours ago, LGW59 said:

We do and we would not book it if it did not meet our likes etc.  2 people for 11 days, AI, not bad in our opinion.  With due respect if a hundred bucks is not going to work, one has options.  I paid $4.75/gallon when I filled the tank this a.m. I could also choose to not drive

How about they charge a percentage of the cabin charge, so those who pay $8k/cabin wouldn't mind paying another 7% ($560) which would pair with those paying $2k/cabin forking over the $140. <sarcasm> I mean those larger cabins *must* use more oil </sarcasm>

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

A lot will have to do what the competition does. Yes, there are a lot of Celebrity loyalists but there are also many people who compare pricing and value across different cruise lines. 

And some of those lines don’t have language in their contracts allowing them to charge fuel surcharges. I really can’t see this happening unless things get much worse. 

2 minutes ago, lderochi said:

And some of those lines don’t have language in their contracts allowing them to charge fuel surcharges. I really can’t see this happening unless things get much worse. 

When I used to sail on Carnival they were pretty quick to impose a fuel surcharge when they needed to. I think it was 2008 or so but im not positive of the dates. 
some cruise lines followed suit and others didn’t. I think I read Celebrity didn’t. 

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

When I used to sail on Carnival they were pretty quick to impose a fuel surcharge when they needed to. . 

Which might be why carnival has such specific surcharge language in their contract. They want to be able to do it without much argument. And, FWIW, they offer lower fares than most other lines so they may be much more willing to act. 

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

If you are charged $10pp per day extra, would you not go?  Unlikely

Strangely, I booked a cruise last week.  This week, price just went up $10pp per day.

Not so strange. Costs are going up across the board and so is demand for travel now that restrictions are being lifted and people are looking for life to become more normal. I’d expect prices to go up 

12 hours ago, baldilocks said:

If people say they won't cruise because of the extra cost...so be it. Don't blame the cruise lines for this. Remember the USA was energy independent two years ago.

I agree with you about the surcharge but was curious about your last sentence.  Wow, there are data going back to 1900.  Looking at Jan-Mar, as the chart shows,  we were importing MORE two years ago.  Fascinating though.  We were NEVER energy independent.  No reason to pursue this further.  Way outside the scope of this thread.  

As for us, considering the total cost of our cruises, yeah we will pay it and continue cruising. 
I do want the lines to stay in business.  

oil imports by year better.jpg

39 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How does one find a copy of their contract?  Where in the booking process is it shown?

Found it on the website. Pretty sure it will be included in your documents. Lots of small print that most of us generally ignore and few read until an unusual situation arises. 

And for what it matters - I would guess that the last thing that the cruise lines want at this point is a fuel surcharge. They are struggling to recover from a two year virtual shutdown and are very anxious to bring back their passengers. 

16 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Found it on the website. Pretty sure it will be included in your documents. Lots of small print that most of us generally ignore and few read until an unusual situation arises. 

And for what it matters - I would guess that the last thing that the cruise lines want at this point is a fuel surcharge. They are struggling to recover from a two year virtual shutdown and are very anxious to bring back their passengers. 

AMEN!

They have to get the “wind in their sails” and get their whole industry moving to where it was 3 years ago.  Price hikes aren’t going to do that.  I’m sailing cheaper now than at any time I can remember in the last decade.  And, the ships still are not sailing at anywhere near capacity.

Add a fuel surcharge?  Here…load that gun again so you can shoot yourself in the other foot.

37 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Thanks.  Found it on the website?  Where?  In eDocs?  I don’t have access yet.

26 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

You have to understand the import / export contracts to get a true figure. 

Believe me, with all the oil stocks we own, I am well aware and we obviously disagree.  So let's drop this.  It has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

1 hour ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I agree with you about the surcharge but was curious about your last sentence.  Wow, there are data going back to 1900.  Looking at Jan-Mar, as the chart shows,  we were importing MORE two years ago.  Fascinating though.  We were NEVER energy independent.  No reason to pursue this further.  Way outside the scope of this thread.  

As for us, considering the total cost of our cruises, yeah we will pay it and continue cruising. 
I do want the lines to stay in business.  

oil imports by year better.jpg

Do you have exports too? I recall that we export a certain type of oil and import another... so net net we might export more than we import.. I am not completely sure.. but the chart does not reflect net ..only one side of the story.

29 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

AMEN!

They have to get the “wind in their sails” and get their whole industry moving to where it was 3 years ago.  Price hikes aren’t going to do that.  I’m sailing cheaper now than at any time I can remember in the last decade.  And, the ships still are not sailing at anywhere near capacity.

Add a fuel surcharge?  Here…load that gun again so you can shoot yourself in the other foot.

I would love nothing more than getting back to the old days.  However, I think people understand the necessity of fuel surcharges.  How long could the lines sustain operating at a loss? (rhetorical question, I do not have the answer)
I do want them to stay in business.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

How does one find a copy of their contract?  Where in the booking process is it shown?

I located this in the contract for our last cruise in Dec.. (pg 16)

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.41.07 AM.png

Edited by kearney

4 minutes ago, kearney said:

Do you have exports too? I recall that we export a certain type of oil and import another... so net net we might export more than we import.. I am not completely sure.. but the chart does not reflect net ..only one side of the story.

If you really want to continue this off topic discussion, message me.  As I said when this was originally introduced, it should not be part of this thread.  

3 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

If you really want to continue this off topic discussion, message me.  As I said when this was originally introduced, it should not be part of this thread.  

I didn't bring it up

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

When I used to sail on Carnival they were pretty quick to impose a fuel surcharge when they needed to. I think it was 2008 or so but im not positive of the dates. 
some cruise lines followed suit and others didn’t. I think I read Celebrity didn’t. 

I can't remember paying a fuel surcharge, but after the 2008 charge and oil prices went down, how long afterward did they remove the surcharge or was it even removed, just folded into the cost of our cruise?

14 hours ago, baldilocks said:

The cruise lines are in a pickle. They do not want to lose passengers due to cost, but the costs are rising. Their fuel costs (along with airlines, truckers and your own vehicle) have gone way up. If people say they won't cruise because of the extra cost...so be it. Don't blame the cruise lines for this. Remember the USA was energy independent two years ago.

The US is still energy independent, but it’s not been oil independent in decades.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-myth-of-us-energy-independence-223017557.html 

Edited by hiccups