Boarding times and Diamond

20 hours ago, flamingo6363 said:

Anyone know of a bar or restaurant on the beach near the terminal that we could spend a couple of hours before we check in?

IMO, the best bars close to PE are on Las Olas Blvd - Tommy Bahama, Quarter Deck, American Social, etc. My favorite go-to dive bar on Ft Lauderdale Beach is Lulu’s Bait Shack. 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

With Covid protocols changing almost by the hour....there is no guarantee.  You could get there early and go right in...or could be delayed past your 11 am.  

RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😉 

All of which, and mostly driven by when the ship is cleared as referenced by @smokeybandit, are out of the direct control of RCI.

Nobody hates inconsistency on turnaround day more than the cruise lines....😉

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

With Covid protocols changing almost by the hour....there is no guarantee.  You could get there early and go right in...or could be delayed past your 11 am.  

But as a guess...I would say 11 am will be your time.   I had 11, and was able to go a few minutes just before 11.  That does not mean it will be that way for each cruise.  RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  😉 

Enjoy your cruise...no matter what time you board.  🙂 

Thank you! I am so excited to finally cruise again! We fly to Galveston in 15 days!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

You can't board early if the ship isn't yet cleared for boarding. One of the caveats of having an early boarding time and wanting to use pinnacle/suite perks 

Poop happens.  😉   

One time in Ft. Lauderdale, pre-Covid there was a Noro outbreak (remember Noro?) ...could not board until 2 pm.   Another time in PC, the little MJ failed her life jacket inspection....could not board until 3 pm.   And once on Jewel, we could board, but could not get into our cabins until 3 pm...replacing mattresses. 

Only just a few instances...there have been many more.    

That is why I say...there is no guarantee.  You just hope for the best, and don't try to get there too early.  

Edited by island lady

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

IMO, the best bars close to PE are on Las Olas Blvd - Tommy Bahama, Quarter Deck, American Social, etc. My favorite go-to dive bar on Ft Lauderdale Beach is Lulu’s Bait Shack. 

I think the OP was looking for something close by to walk to.   I would not recommend walking around that busy commercial port.  😮 

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

I think the OP was looking for something close by to walk to.   I would not recommend walking around that busy commercial port.  😮 

You’re right but unfortunately there’s nothing within walking distance. Best is to Uber to either Las Olas or the beach. I gave suggestions for bars in both places. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

You’re right but unfortunately there’s nothing within walking distance. Best is to Uber to either Las Olas or the beach. I gave suggestions for bars in both places. 

Second that.  Uber is readily available and extremely reliable there and is an excellent way to get anywhere around there to enjoy the day.  You can arrange for the same driver to pick you up at a predetermined time to assure an easy way back.

2 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

Thank you! I am so excited to finally cruise again! We fly to Galveston in 15 days!

You are most welcome!  I hope it all works out and you are able to board early.  🙂 

Have a fantabulous cruise!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Me too...I earlier suggested taking a shuttle/taxi to the beach.  Can't walk there.  

21 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

We will be in a suite on our next cruise. We have an 11:30 arrival time. So I should plan that the earliest we will be able to get in is 11?

Likely so.  The reason folks with the earliest arrival times aren't getting in earlier is because they have to clear the terminal of those departing before they can open it up for arrivals.  You might be able to check with someone about when that might happen, but it probably isn't much before the earliest arrival time.

That's what happened to the earlier poster.  We had the same thing happen to us.  We had an 11 AM boarding time, so we showed up at 10 . . . and waited outside for nearly an hour.  It made sense after I asked about it, and I wasn't upset.  That's the world.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, flamingo6363 said:

Flying in the day of the cruise for the Wonder April 1st.  Our plane will arrive FLL at 9:00 am.  We have a 12:30 boarding time.  Will we be able to board earlier for being Diamond.  Never boarded Royal in FLL always in San Juan where you could get on at 11:00.

I don't what time many of the places mentioned in this thread actually open, but I know that many of them don't open until 11 or even noon.  You might be better off just hanging around the airport.  At the very least, look for and find a place that's open before you head off to it.

I do agree that there are many places near the airport and cruise terminal and that Uber/Lyft are relatively quick and reliable.  You will find Uber/Lyft a bit busy on the major turnaround days, but it still works.

In the meantime, do keep checking back about getting an earlier arrival time.  It can happen.

On 3/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, melbur said:

You will have to keep to your boarding time. Only Pinnacle members have a flexible arrival time within 1 hr of the assigned boarding time.  

Also  all suites from JS up can enter as they wish when doors open.

Stay safe

On 3/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, flamingo6363 said:

Flying in the day of the cruise for the Wonder April 1st.  Our plane will arrive FLL at 9:00 am.  We have a 12:30 boarding time.  Will we be able to board earlier for being Diamond.  Never boarded Royal in FLL always in San Juan where you could get on at 11:00.

Years ago when Diamond was The Top Tier we were First to Board, only exception was Wedding Parties. 

On 3/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, flamingo6363 said:

C & A status means nothing any longer unless you are P. No signs like before. Suites and P rule the roost.

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

C & A status means nothing any longer unless you are P. No signs like before. Suites and P rule the roost.

Whether this remains permanent or reverts to the pre-pandemic ways, I'm sure it is the result of the return to cruising protocols for separation and staging with boarding.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

55 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Whether this remains permanent or reverts to the pre-pandemic ways, I'm sure it is the result of the return to cruising protocols for separation and staging with boarding.  

I doubt they will go back to sign in areas once we are all trained to arrive at our assigned times. This is simple for them, their staff is trained and the old way will be forgotten like flaming baked Alaska.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Many pinnacles will say otherwise.  Lots of pinnacles benefits were reduced. 
Suites rule. 
m

Just now, cruisegirl1 said:

Many pinnacles will say otherwise.  Lots of pinnacles benefits were reduced. 
Suites rule. 
m

Yes, I was simply answering the question about boarding anytime you want. I won't live long enough to be P, so gave up looking at their benefits long ago.

4 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

And wheelchairs.

True, but only experienced sometimes then 1998-2001. Not sure if was because I a Single Parent with 3 young kids of 2, 4 & 8, but those 7 of 10 Cruises we were very first on/off before Wheelchairs. Interesting at most back then 4-8 in Wheelchairs on Largest Royal Ships, now just getting on a Plane 15-20 are in Chairs/assistance not counting even larger increase on Ships. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

they don't enforce it 

Im glad royal do the time slot so people don't arrive at the port early but tbh they don't enforce it I even had a 230pm check in time on the freedom and went onboard right after they opened by non I was on the ship. They send you multiple emails and text the day of boarding not to arrive early yet they don't really care. If you are they they want you inside the ship.

• Like 1

Weigh the risk/reward, and decide what’s best for you. Two weeks ago, had a 12:30 slot on Odyssey. We boarded with diamond+ group….we were finished with our leisurely onboard lunch and muster check-in by 11:45.

Edited by bucfan2

On 3/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, Lionesss said:

Also  all suites from JS up can enter as they wish when doors open.

That is not correct.  Suites can board an hour earlier than their assigned time, but not whenever they like. Even that is subject to when the terminal opens for boarding.  If the terminal doesn't open for boarding until 11, you're not getting in until 11 (or maybe a little before), no matter what your assigned time and stateroom class are.

"As they wish" is the Celebrity rule, but not RC.

10 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

they don't enforce it 

I wouldn't count on that.  They were enforcing it in Galveston.  At least, they were in January.

• Like 1