Cruise price locked in when booked?

cristdom99

With the daily increase in gas, oil, etc - can cruise prices be changed after you’ve booked an agreed upon price?  Should we be concerned?  Thanks in advance.  Haven’t cruised in over 15 years and would like to start again.

11 minutes ago, cristdom99 said:

With the daily increase in gas, oil, etc - can cruise prices be changed after you’ve booked an agreed upon price?  Should we be concerned?  Thanks in advance.  Haven’t cruised in over 15 years and would like to start again.

I’d say you have things locked in - of course drink prices on board might go up - possibly alternative (for pay) dining - but, unless the old “fuel surcharge” condition applies,  you should be okay.

2 hours ago, cristdom99 said:

It's not uncommon for there to be a fuel surcharge clause in the passenger ticket contract that permits the cruise line to add a surcharge of up to a certain amount per day per passenger...such as $10, if the price of crude oil is above $XX per barrel.  Cruise lines haven't made use of a fuel surcharge for many years but given the present circumstances I wouldn't be surprised to see one imposed.

17 hours ago, cristdom99 said:

For example, per the terms of the ticket contract with Carnvial:

"Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full."

Don't quote me on this, but I think some local or state governments at certain home ports have laws that limit the terms of the ticket contract, such as not being able to apply the supplement after booking or after final payment.

This serves as a reminder:  I would budget as if the supplement is a reality so that it doesn't cause an unexpected financial hardship if it is instituted.  The website of each cruise line should have specific information on its policy and the supplement dollar amount.  At least for U.S. sailings.

Your fare as booked is protected from fare increases once you convey your deposit.  With most cruise lines prior to final payment you also can take advantage of decreases in fare, which also can occur after you have booked.  Fuel surcharges, should any be implemented, are not considered part of the base fare and are an add-on to that fare.  

Regarding a possible fuel surcharge, the cruise lines negotiate long term fuel pricing and as such are not subject to the daily barrel pricing fluctuations that affect gas pump pricing.  That is not to say that at some point a surcharge won't be added, but it depends on the current term of fuel price agreement in place as to its' timing.

• Like 1

My November cruise on Celebrity has went up 1k per person since I booked , glad we are locked in,  on the other hand a few years ago I saw our rccl cruise go down about 500 per and called to get new price a couple of times ,

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your fare as booked is protected from fare increases once you convey your deposit.  With most cruise lines prior to final payment you also can take advantage of decreases in fare, which also can occur after you have booked.  Fuel surcharges, should any be implemented, are not considered part of the base fare and are an add-on to that fare.  

Regarding a possible fuel surcharge, the cruise lines negotiate long term fuel pricing and as such are not subject to the daily barrel pricing fluctuations that affect gas pump pricing.  That is not to say that at some point a surcharge won't be added, but it depends on the current term of fuel price agreement in place as to its' timing.

Of course the fuel being burned on your cruise was contracted for some time before you set sail - but the lines want to be able to replace such contracts as time goes on, so if there is a provision for a surcharge you can count on it being applied.

Edited by navybankerteacher

The UK does have some greater protections for purchaser/passengers than the US but also some more stringent policies on deposits and price adjustments.

While of course the cruise lines want to recoup the money due to the cost of oil, I wonder whether there won't be some strong arguments about whether to impose the surcharge. It was extremely unpopular when first implemented and -- given that cruises are still sailing at far from full capacity -- can they risk alienating folks who are just now considering coming back to cruising (like the OP)?

Depending on the amount, the surcharge probably wouldn't make me baulk, however I also think it would be fairer (IF cruise lines are going to add the charge) that they also give the option of canceling with a refund should the pax not want to pay.