Corned beef for St. Patrick's Day?

Dee_Jay

No idea if they serve it or not but... Corned Beef and Cabbage is a strictly Irish American dish. It's not a traditional Irish meal. In Ireland if you had a cow it was for milk and cows were too valuable to eat. When the Irish came to the US they moved into the inexpensive neighborhoods which had a high number of Jewish immigrants and they purchased their beef from the Jewish butchers. Corned Beef (beef preserved with large pieces of salt - corns) was cheap. Cabbage was cheap. Potatoes were cheap and reminiscent of home. The Irish American dish of Corned Beef and Cabbage was born.

I love the stuff. My wife is "okay" with it but doesn't share my love for it. I will be having Corned Beef with Potatoes (no cabbage unless requested by my wife) and will be drinking Red Breast Irish Whiskey. (Sadly only the 12 year old - not the 25 year old. Ireland, like the US, spells it Whiskey. Scots spell it Whisky - without the "e".)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The Irish American dish of Corned Beef and Cabbage was born.

Yep.  "Bangers and Colcannon", pork sausages and mashed potatoes with cabbage is more traditional, or lamb (leg of lamb, or shepherd's pie) with the colcannon.

And, to further muddy the waters people in the US tend to think of the color Green in relation to St. Patrick but the traditional color for St. Patrick is Sky Blue - St. Patrick's Blue.

Now that I'm back, I can answer the question for future reference.  They didn't have Corned Beef, but they did have Beef Brisket with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage.  Not quite what I wanted, but it still tasted pretty good.

P1010263.JPG

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

If all else fails, have a pastrami on rye, close enough. 😜

Sadly, the rye I've had on board has not been that good, but that's the stuff they use at breakfast for toast. Hopefully, they would use a good deli rye for sandwiches.

12 hours ago, Dee_Jay said:

Now that I'm back, I can answer the question for future reference.  They didn't have Corned Beef, but they did have Beef Brisket with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage.  Not quite what I wanted, but it still tasted pretty good.

P1010263.JPG

I'm currently on the Grand, and we had absolutely nothing resembling a typical (American style) St. Paddy's Day dinner.  Not even a green dessert!  I was fairly disappointed, to say the least.

• Like 1

Saw this same question on other Social Media pages and all the Irish answering were most puzzled by this question as it isn’t an Irish thing at all. The conclusion being it was an America/Irish thing .

As English/Scottish Brits if we ever and rarely have corn beef we would have with chips ( proper steak cut chips and not what I call McDonald’s chips) and baked beans. The baked beans being because it would be too dry otherwise. I don’t thing other Brits do the same though 😀😀

P.S. I am taking about chips here as in Fish and Chips. I understand you call what we call crisps , chips over the pond. That had me one lunch in the MDR when I thought I was getting chips and I got crisps, not quite the same thing.