What information do you expect from Celebrity?

GottaKnowWhen

On some roll calls and in general discussions here I have noticed frustration ("Celebrity should have told us stuff earlier!") and pushback ("You coulda/shoulda pay attention and you would know this stuff.") The information at question obviously has to do with onboard covid restrictions, port openings/closings/restrictions in the Caribbean and, more recently the scope of entry restrictions to e.g. Canada and Bermuda and what Celebrity will do about them.

I really don't want to start an argument here. But I am genuinely curious. Implied, but usually not stated, in these discussions about restrictions and Celebrity, there are diverse underlying assumptions people are making about the responsibility of Celebrity in this context.

So, my question: what information do you expect from Celebrity, and realistically what information do you hope to have in order to plan your future travel?

Stan

Interesting question. My answer depends on the cruise.

For cruises that stop at mainly American ports my expectations are very different from cruises that are mostly or entirely in foreign waters. I cruised in the Galapagos a few months ago and I needed a significant amount of information from Celebrity - testing and vaccination requirements, where to meet the X ambassadors, luggage restrictions (which were inconsistent in stated weights and in enforcement), and general advice. For a Pacific Coastal cruise I require little more than a schedule.

COVID has thrown much into chaos. I have generally found that where my cruises are concerned, Celebrity has been quite good at providing updated information. I have also seen complaints from others who found this not to be the case.

I have to understand the fluid nature of cruising (ha ha) and things are changing frequently. I must go with the flow or wait until things settle. Mostly, I want the information to be up to date and accurate.

I don't think I answered your question but danced around it more than I dance at weddings.

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Above all, consistency in communications.

Web page <> email <> cruise planner <> phone agents makes for a poor pre-cruise experience.

That's right on target. I have provided examples of inconsistent information from the web site to cruise planners that have responded with just a selection from the web pages that I illustrated were not informative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

So, my question: what information do you expect from Celebrity, and realistically what information do you hope to have in order to plan your future travel?

Stan

One I would like would be on cruise coming up on April 8 with a first stop in Bermuda.  The new requirements from the Bermuda Site says all passengers must pay for a $40 Travel Authorization  and file on line or will not be able to board.   Celebrity thus far has been silent on it.   If not the first stop then then all passengers will have to be tested 4 days prior to arrival and submit the TA, probably at sea.

CC member have said that last year they had to do it prior to being allowed on the ship and if you didn't do it in advance they had agents from Bermuda to assist.

• Like 1

I think Celebrity should be up front about the need to block off significant blocks of rooms for Covid staff quarantines and potential isolations. A simple communication to booked passengers on each cruise can identify affected areas of that specific ship, while explaining why this is necessary. Celebrity could then reassure passengers booked in those areas that they will be moved to a more preferred area of the ship. This would go a long way toward alleviating precruise concerns. 

This message is for Jim…I’ve read somewhere in one of your live blogs that the Equinox is your favourite ship. We sail April 24 for 12 nights on the Equinox…do you have any suggestions or must do restaurants or venues that we should experience?

Thanks,

Fred Anderson 

57 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

That's right on target. I have provided examples of inconsistent information from the web site to cruise planners that have responded with just a selection from the web pages that I illustrated were not informative.

Some of the worst instances were during the period when COVID protocols for boarding were in such flux.  The web site would show changed requirements, but emails sent out two and three days later would reflect the then outdated information.

At the time, we suggested that a single, small group with total visibility to and good knowledge of all X policies and methods of X public communications should be put in place whose sole job was to assure that ALL communications to pax be checked for consistency with current policies and protocols.  That would include public web site, TA web site, emails to pax, and customer service scripts.

• Like 3

OK, consistency. And this is important not just for those of us actively trying to use Celebrity's services/products, but also internally and when working with agents, Nobody on the inside likes to be caught out not knowing what is going on and either 1) needing to claim ignorance or 2) making stuff up. So, consistency in statements of policy and practice; "here is what we intend to accomplish, and here is how we will do that."

But what about when there is no answer? Let's take Jim's Bermuda example (of special interest to me because I also am booked on an upcoming Bermuda cruise). Bermuda says they need a visit application form and certain tests conducted within certain time frames. Canada says they need something similar, but Canada won't charge for the application process. We can look at the schedules for any given cruise and see that it is impossible for any one of us, much less all 1500-2500 passengers aboard, to do this on our own. So far nothing on this from Celebrity.

Possible messages from Celebrity:

Option 0. Here are the details on how we will meet the port-call restrictions in Bermuda and Canada.

Option 1. We are committed to xyzzy ports of call and we will do what it takes to comply with the ports' requirements.

Option 2. We are still figuring out whether it is feasible to go to places with such onerous requirements. Don't worry, you'll get FCC for any cancellations.

Option 3. Don't bother us with trivial detailed questions. We are a big company with a lot going on; we'll figure out necessary processes later as we get closer.

Option 0, conveyed consistently, would seem ideal. I think it is reasonable to expect at least Option 1 level of information. I would be comfortable because I respect Celebrity as an organization and believe they can be trusted. But maybe Celebrity hasn't decided that they are all that committed to Canada and Bermuda? If that were the case, I would expect at least Option 2 level statement of their position. I don't think that my Option 3 level communication would ever be appropriate, but many interpret silence, lack of useful information, to be like Option 3. 

But that is me. Which brings me back to my original question, slightly rephrased: what do you think we should expect to hear from Celebrity in such situations where things are constantly getting fluxed up?

Stan

Ive posted this comment & info on another thread but it applies here as well

We are booked on Apex 14 May out of Amsterdam for the British Isles

The Netherlands still has some of the more strict COVID entry protocols in the EU 

Everyone is hoping for more sensible relaxed country's entry policies

Cruise lines in asking passengers to buck up lock in & support them & their comeback need to assure passengers they have their backs with supportive policies up front as some have but only until 30 APR 2022

As of 12 Mar 2022 Celebrity website;

"Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**

Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party." END of Quote

should things go COVID wrong for passengers at no fault of their own, Cruise lines need to make them as whole as reasonably possible & extend this offer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

One I would like would be on cruise coming up on April 8 with a first stop in Bermuda.  The new requirements from the Bermuda Site says all passengers must pay for a $40 Travel Authorization  and file on line or will not be able to board.   Celebrity thus far has been silent on it.   If not the first stop then then all passengers will have to be tested 4 days prior to arrival and submit the TA, probably at sea.

CC member have said that last year they had to do it prior to being allowed on the ship and if you didn't do it in advance they had agents from Bermuda to assist.

Hi Jim

What do you expect the testing requirement to be before your next cruise when you get to Southampton.

Americans are quoting the new testing req released by X,,,but these say ‘for sailings from the USA

Im on that cruise from Southampton but still waiting to hear protocol,all it says on check in is…..

A608012C-F419-4D2F-9F32-94B819C78815.thumb.png.1f5e54c465c6eff4c14d0a7884ecf06f.png

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

3 hours ago, Stratford1950 said:

This message is for Jim…I’ve read somewhere in one of your live blogs that the Equinox is your favourite ship. We sail April 24 for 12 nights on the Equinox…do you have any suggestions or must do restaurants or venues that we should experience?

Thanks,

Fred Anderson 

To me Murano is not to be missed but I do have a taste for french cuisine.   Many enjoy Tuscan but I've had hit and missed luck with Tuscan.      Al Bacio is a multi-visit a day venue that I very much enjoy.    Their Affagato is a must (a scoop of Gelato with a shot of Espresso over the top and chocolate syrup and Whipped Cream}.   What's not to love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi Jim

What do you expect the testing requirement to be before your next cruise when you get to Southampton.

Americans are quoting the new testing req released by X,,,but these say ‘for sailings from the USA

Im on that cruise from Southampton but still waiting to hear protocol,all it says on check in is…..

A608012C-F419-4D2F-9F32-94B819C78815.thumb.png.1f5e54c465c6eff4c14d0a7884ecf06f.png

I got that today when I logged in to try to finish my check in for my April 21st cruise.  They didn't post that until 3 weeks after we checked into the TA.

Personally I'm not concerned about the testing (LOL) because we are on a B3B and will be tested a day before arrival.    For those ending in Southampton - the message we received from Celebrity a couple days ago saying that testing will be available at the pier for those with a flight within 24 hours of disembarkation.   They had the normal line about who would have to pay for it as oppose to those who purchased prior to a certain date.  

I honestly don't think Celebrity has a clue yet about what protocols will be once the European cruise season begins.   Most countries are quickly dropping their testing requirements.   For my cruises I think U.K, France, Spain and Portugal and Norway have all dropped the requirements of testing before arrival.   Will be interesting to see if Celebrity drops the per-cruise requirement.    I'm bringing along a bunch proctored tests in case as I believe we will need to take test before returning to the U.S. 

I expect consistency between their website, app, and any other communication.  Regarding changes to my cruise,  I expect to be informed as soon as they know something that impacts ports, protocols,  or itinerary. Good communication can convey what you do and don't know so your customers can make informed decisions.  For example,  we could not go to Grand Cayman.  Their website and app still showed Grand Cayman until about a day before sailing.  Tell me, no, we are no longer going to Grand Cayman and as soon as a revised itinerary is finalized we will share it.  Instead, I get my info from Google and Cruise Critic.  Not cool. I get that the cruise world changes regularly now and I understand my risk.  But just be upfront and open about what is happening 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I think Celebrity should be up front about the need to block off significant blocks of rooms for Covid staff quarantines and potential isolations. A simple communication to booked passengers on each cruise can identify affected areas of that specific ship, while explaining why this is necessary. Celebrity could then reassure passengers booked in those areas that they will be moved to a more preferred area of the ship. This would go a long way toward alleviating precruise concerns. 

I knew from posts here that I was booked in the Quarantine Zone on Apex, and I was upgraded. I didn't expect communication about it, really--they didn't move me to a lesser cabin.

• Like 1

For everyone that is booked on a Bermuda cruise, I doubt that you will be going to Bermuda anytime soon.   Bermuda hasn't done anything to indicate they want the cruise ships to return.   The cruise lines can't do anything until Bermuda relaxes their restrictions.  My guess is that you will be sailing to Nassau.  

16 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Celebrity could then reassure passengers booked in those areas that they will be moved to a more preferred area of the ship.

Honestly cabins can be changed at any time for any reason up to boarding day. A pipe could explode in your selected cabin and it has to be taken out of service or any number of other things. I agree that a change should be communicated as soon as known, BUT part of the contract is that just like ports can be changed even while on sailing, your cabin could be changed if necessary.

50 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I think one NCL ship went there and that was it.  Nothing since.

I'm not looking for more examples beyond the link below.  (As for "nothing since," the winter is not the Bermuda cruising season.)

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/viking-orion-sails-into-bermuda-welcomes-first-u-s-passengers-since-shut-down

In my experience - the coulda/woulda/shoulda, "they" should have told me type situations come into play with the customer realizes they had access to the info they needed all along and didn't utilize it. Their oversight needs to become someone else's fault. 

In terms of consistency, I don't think it's really that bad. You can count on hearing nothing until Celebrity is 100% certain what the protocol, guidelines, etc. will be. Just like last minute port cancelations and things like that. Until all the details are sorted out and replacements in place, you won't hear anything. An email that says changes are coming or we're working on it really accomplishes nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

In my experience - the coulda/woulda/shoulda, "they" should have told me type situations come into play with the customer realizes they had access to the info they needed all along and didn't utilize it. Their oversight needs to become someone else's fault. 

In terms of consistency, I don't think it's really that bad. You can count on hearing nothing until Celebrity is 100% certain what the protocol, guidelines, etc. will be. Just like last minute port cancelations and things like that. Until all the details are sorted out and replacements in place, you won't hear anything. An email that says changes are coming or we're working on it really accomplishes nothing. 

Their oversight needs to become someone else's fault  Yep gotta be someone else fault, that seems to be the SOP of many on CC.  They made the mistake in frequent situations but still blame Celebrity.

An email that says changes are coming or we're working on it really accomplishes nothing.  This would only serve as additional fodder to the whiners, on the what if, why can't they...

47 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I'm not looking for more examples beyond the link below.  (As for "nothing since," the winter is not the Bermuda cruising season.)

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/viking-orion-sails-into-bermuda-welcomes-first-u-s-passengers-since-shut-down

The mainstream cruise lines are not going to force their passengers to complete a $40 Travel Authorization in order to sail to Bermuda.  Current restrictions might be fine for Viking sailing at reduced capacity but not for larger ships sailing without capacity limits.

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Their oversight needs to become someone else's fault  Yep gotta be someone else fault, that seems to be the SOP of many on CC.  They made the mistake in frequent situations but still blame Celebrity.

An email that says changes are coming or we're working on it really accomplishes nothing.  This would only serve as additional fodder to the whiners, on the what if, why can't they...

I disagree.  Communication is important and respectful.  They should not be advertising cruise itineraries on their website that are knowingly false. Another example, in April I have a cruise advertised on the website  and titled as Aruba, Bonaire,  and Curacao.  Only problem- it doesn't go to Bonaire at all (which is open, as i am stopping there tomorrow). I should not have to be learning my information by trolling the internet.

Another example of poor, and not up to date information.  Today we had an announcement that Aruba required face masks in and outside. They made a special announcement about it. First thing we heard from the shuttle driver was to ditch our masks as that requirement had been removed awhile ago.  Frustrating.  

And for the record I am not a "whiner" about covid related changes.  I get it and I am happy to be cruising.  But I am less than happy with their communication which at times seems deliberately deceptive, and other times just mismanaged.

• Like 1