Soot issue back on Wonder of seas

baron9

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Can you bring your own fridge for the World Cruise?

No need, why do I even need a fridge anyway🤔

But in case you do, special needs can provide a true refrigerator for medical needs. 

Luckily, my cabin is big enough to fit one😉

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No need, why do I even need a fridge anyway🤔

But in case you do, special needs can provide a true refrigerator for medical needs. 

Luckily, my cabin is big enough to fit one😉

I like watching TV sometimes in the cabin and like going to the fridge for a nice cold drink. Much easier then leaving the cabin to go find one.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I like watching TV sometimes in the cabin and like going to the fridge for a nice cold drink. Much easier then leaving the cabin to go find one.

How would you get that nice cold drink into your cabin at night to begin with?

On 3/13/2022 at 10:20 PM, soremekun said:

Joking aside, why do you think our stateroom "fridges" don't get cold?  Saving energy?

Because they're not traditional fridges. Or at least most of the ones I've seen on ships aren't. They're like wine fridges - they cool but can only do so far from the ambient temperatures. (Lacking a compressor I believe.) They can work quite well, but when you put them in the cabinet the effort of cooling actually warms up the ambient temperature quite a lot and the fridge can only cool it down X number of degrees. (This is why wine fridges that go in cabinets are so expensive - they need to be a full fridge) I think it's around 40 degrees, but I'm too lazy to look it up. So for example the ambient air is 80 it can only go down to 40 but if it's 100 then it can't go below 60. 

A trick is to leave the door cracked open. That keeps the ambient air around the fridge from getting too hot so it can cool lower. I usually just take a wash cloth and throw it over the door near the hinges. (Cabinet door in case I need to be specific lol) Keeps it open enough so my drinks get down to a decent temperature but minimizes me running into the darn thing. 

• Thanks 1

Interested in the poster that was in ATS.  We are in a one bedroom 11734 next spring.  Do you love it on WOS?  Roomy?

We also booked the OVB next door 11732 for kids.  Wonder if the door between the two opens?

Thank you

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

And how do you get that on a Royal ship🤔

For your World Cruise they should be a little more lenient . Really for someone on a cruise that long, 275 and over 150 stops you should be allowed to bring more then 2 bottles of wine each.

Say everyone onboard bought 1 bottle each for all the port stops. You are telling me Royal going to hold all those bottles until the end of the cruise to give you to take off board on the last day?

You also might want to bring snacks onboard too plus 6 pack beer, soda (case) 2 liter bottles etc.

Otherwise going to cost a lot  of extra money buying everything at Royals prices.

Maybe later on when it gets closer to the cruise you might get a much different set of rules what is allowed  or not. Can't treat the passengers on this cruise as the same you would for a 7 day cruise.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

For your World Cruise they should be a little more lenient . Really for someone on a cruise that long, 275 and over 150 stops you should be allowed to bring more then 2 bottles of wine each.

Say everyone onboard bought 1 bottle each for all the port stops. You are telling me Royal going to hold all those bottles until the end of the cruise to give you to take off board on the last day?

You also might want to bring snacks onboard too plus 6 pack beer, soda (case) 2 liter bottles etc.

Otherwise going to cost a lot  of extra money buying everything at Royals prices.

Maybe later on when it gets closer to the cruise you might get a much different set of rules what is allowed  or not. Can't treat the passengers on this cruise as the same you would for a 7 day cruise.

Drink pkg included. My goal is collecting Starbucks mugs. I'm figuring I should find about 70 new ones for my collection. Renting a van to get home from Miami, but Royal is working on shipping stuff along the way. Also we may be getting some Amazon deliveries along the way.

Doubt booze rules change, but who knows. And FWIW, many local beers aren't served ice cold. I think that's an American thing.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Drink pkg included. My goal is collecting Starbucks mugs. I'm figuring I should find about 70 new ones for my collection. Renting a van to get home from Miami, but Royal is working on shipping stuff along the way. Also we may be getting some Amazon deliveries along the way.

Doubt booze rules change, but who knows. And FWIW, many local beers aren't served ice cold. I think that's an American thing.

Beers like Coors, Bud, etc. all encourage you to drink cold because beer has less flavor at colder temperatures. If everyone drank Coors light at room temp, they'd actually taste how bad it is. Big beer still encourages you to drink it cold as hell. Quality breweries are changing that perception. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:20 PM, HicksRA said:

Suite sun deck is on the front on Harmony. Is it in a different location on Wonder??  
Are you referring to the balconies on 17?  We had a few instances of soot on the balcony floor of our CLS on Harmony but nothing very bad. 

On 3/13/2022 at 11:31 PM, SG65CB said:

Oasis too. The suite sun deck is overlooking the solarium up front on Oasis. 

The Wonder was designed differently than the other Oasis class ships. All of the Grand Suites were moved up to deck 17, and the loft and Owners suites were moved up to deck 18. They redesigned the sun deck at the front of the ship into an exclusive teen hangout area, and moved the suite sun deck up to deck 18 where the majority of the high end suites are located. They also eliminated all of the aft facing suites.

Deck 17 and deck 18:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

The Wonder was designed differently than the other Oasis class ships. All of the Grand Suites were moved up to deck 17, and the loft and Owners suites were moved up to deck 18. They redesigned the sun deck at the front of the ship into an exclusive teen hangout area, and moved the suite sun deck up to deck 18 where the majority of the high end suites are located. They also eliminated all of the aft facing suites.

Deck 17 and deck 18:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Thanks for the info. I looked for deck plans on the website but they were not added yet. 

On 3/16/2022 at 6:03 AM, John&LaLa said:

I also collect Starbucks cups and I look for them when we travel 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just returned from Wonder in an OS.  The layout for suite cabins is awesome compared to other Oasis class ships.  We have been in OS on Allure and Oasis and they are a walk to the Suite Sun Deck, Costal Kitchen and Suite Lounge.  We were in 1832 and were steps to the suite sun deck.  Yes, depending on the wind and speed of the ship we did get some soot, but it wasn't an everyday thing.  My main complaint about the new layout is  the entire sun deck is at the rear of deck 18 and is directly over the sport deck.  It's loud and the music from sun deck isn't in snyc with sports deck, you never know what you listen to.  This would be enough for us not to do the Wonder again and go back to the older configuration.  The elevators suck, you can wait a long time for one to come to 17 or 18.  We walked down several times.  Also going up the screens didn't show floors 17 or 18 on some elevators.  My observation is there are so many venues at the stern the elevators can't handle it.     

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 6:52 PM, long4acruise said:

Sorry to hear about the soot issues.  I may have to use an extra pool towel to protect my attire when up there.

Hope you continue to enjoy your time onboard Wonder! 

Are the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen crowded?  From the deck plans it appears one access the SL & CK from deck 17 portside ?  Ditto for the Suite deck?

We just returned from Wonder in OS 1832.  Soot wasn't that bad and really didn't become an issue until the direction and wind changed.   I think most of the soot issue was because of the medical emergency we had and running full speed all engines to San Juan and then back to get on course.  SL/CK were busy during the "free" cocktail hour and then cleared out.  We usually went down after 7 pm had a cocktail and then ate around 8 pm after it cleared out.  There is only one access to CK/CL at deck 17 portside.  Suite sun deck has access on both sides on deck 18.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 3/13/2022 at 7:36 PM, baron9 said:

FYI, On WOS now. We spent a few hours on the suite sun deck and had a good about of soot on our cloths and body. The soot did not come off after laundry.

I will be happy to answer any suite/star class question.

You put your body thru the laundry?

• 3 months later...

Here's a star class question.  Just how accommodating are the Genies?  Will they really get you dinner and/or show reservations with little notice?  Can they book you a cabana on Coco Cay during your cruise?  Will they serve you meals from any venue in your suite?  I've had butlers before, but I have heard a Genie is something more????

Hi.  On wonder in 1BR ATS March 19.  Do you know who the Concierges are?  We are only sky, not star class so no genies.  But wondering: Will concierge be able to get your dining reservations before you get on ship, or do you have to deal with the first day craziness?  

Also, do you have to make reservations for coastal kitchen, and can concierges get you reservations for flowrider lessons and escape room?  Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, topanga49er said:

Hi.  On wonder in 1BR ATS March 19.  Do you know who the Concierges are?  We are only sky, not star class so no genies.  But wondering: Will concierge be able to get your dining reservations before you get on ship, or do you have to deal with the first day craziness?  

Also, do you have to make reservations for coastal kitchen, and can concierges get you reservations for flowrider lessons and escape room?  Thank you so much.

Off topic