Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

@mysty There's a new post on the "New boarding requirements" thread that says Silversea is offering antigen tests for the June 17 boarding of the Spirit in Venice. I wonder if that will continue for other ships; perhaps you can get an answer that will make this less of a panic situation. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FauxNom said:

@mysty There's a new post on the "New boarding requirements" thread that says Silversea is offering antigen tests for the June 17 boarding of the Spirit in Venice. I wonder if that will continue for other ships; perhaps you can get an answer that will make this less of a panic situation. Good luck!

Thank you Faux!  Really appreciate the heads up!  I'll see what I can find out!

• Like 1

Hi Mysty,  I envy your upcoming GV.  The hotel in LIS that Silversea used at the end of our Med GV for 1/2 of the GV'ers who were required to stay overnight was the Intercontinental.  Please let us know what your GV "gifts" are....they were few & far between on the last one & not very welcomed by me...a cookbook that weighed 3-4 lbs??? & the obligatory duffle bag which must be stacked by the ton in a warehouse awaiting the next G Voyages?  So interesting about the FedEx luggage pick up - that's a really great benefit & I'm sorry you need to schlepp your luggage.  (But I'm happy they are sending stuff to Ukraine.)  I'm totally looking forward to your postings.  Good luck with the packing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Hi Mysty,  I envy your upcoming GV.  The hotel in LIS that Silversea used at the end of our Med GV for 1/2 of the GV'ers who were required to stay overnight was the Intercontinental.  Please let us know what your GV "gifts" are....they were few & far between on the last one & not very welcomed by me...a cookbook that weighed 3-4 lbs??? & the obligatory duffle bag which must be stacked by the ton in a warehouse awaiting the next G Voyages?  So interesting about the FedEx luggage pick up - that's a really great benefit & I'm sorry you need to schlepp your luggage.  (But I'm happy they are sending stuff to Ukraine.)  I'm totally looking forward to your postings.  Good luck with the packing.

Thanks so very much for your post and your kind wishes!  We're really not looking forward to the baggage schlepping!  I'm shooting for 4 pieces of checked and 4 carryons.  We'll see how well I do. 😅

I plan to share as much as possible of the voyage and the "niceties", internet connection allowing.   We've done 2 World Cruises and this is our first Grand Voyage so we don't really know what to expect.   Thus,  we won't know if we're missing anything.  😅

This will definitely be an adventure.   I really hope others on this journey or parts of this journey will feel comfortable posting their own thoughts and experiences here.   This is not really my thread.   I started it but it is meant to be a record of the journey not "The Mysty Show". 

• Like 1

Hi,

We are on part of this cruise,Reykjavik to Reykjavik and Reykjavik to Copenhagen too.

Really looking forward to it and looking forward to meeting others on board.

Getting increasingly  nervous as it gets closer though.

We are travelling from Australia to London two weeks before flying to Reykjavik .

Beyond the usual precautions it's going to be tough trying to side step Covid !

Crossing fingers and toes !

I expect most have the same concerns.

Meanwhile ...what to pack ?? 😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gk9 said:

Hi,

We are on part of this cruise,Reykjavik to Reykjavik and Reykjavik to Copenhagen too.

Really looking forward to it and looking forward to meeting others on board.

Getting increasingly  nervous as it gets closer though.

We are travelling from Australia to London two weeks before flying to Reykjavik .

Beyond the usual precautions it's going to be tough trying to side step Covid !

Crossing fingers and toes !

I expect most have the same concerns.

Meanwhile ...what to pack ?? 😀

Thanks for chiming in Gk9!  Looking forward to meeting you!  My packing list has gone through multiple revisions.   😒  The acid test will happen when I try to get what's on the list into the suitcases.  There may be much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth! 😅

33 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Good luck with the packing, M! I'm not sure that I could go all carry-on for such a long voyage with varying climates. But I'd probably try...lol.

JP I was thinking of you as I wrote that post.  😁  I'm very sure that you would pull some tricky Tetris moves and get everything into 2 carry-ons.  I will need to channel JP! 😁

• Haha 1

I confess to a dummy run , and managed to get everything into 1 large case.

I know for the real thing I will weaken and start shoving loads more stuff in at the last minute,I always do and each time only wear a fraction of it .

I'll be sneaking things into his case when he's not looking.

• Haha 3

Just three weeks!  I would be in bits with excitement.  I haven't looked at your itinerary, mysty, but I will.  I guess you are going to need clothes for coolish to pretty hot weather.  Have you got things being laid out on a spare bed somewhere?  In our old house, which was old, we had what we call in the UK a picture rail, near the ceiling, so there was always lots hanging on that before packing.

I hope it will be feasible for you - and others - to do some live reports - my main interests would be the ports and food and drink!!  Looking forward to reading more.

Lola

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Just three weeks!  I would be in bits with excitement.  I haven't looked at your itinerary, mysty, but I will.  I guess you are going to need clothes for coolish to pretty hot weather.  Have you got things being laid out on a spare bed somewhere?  In our old house, which was old, we had what we call in the UK a picture rail, near the ceiling, so there was always lots hanging on that before packing.

I hope it will be feasible for you - and others - to do some live reports - my main interests would be the ports and food and drink!!  Looking forward to reading more.

Lola

No packing yet.  No room to put things.  Massive effort intended for last week of April.  I have made lists upon lists.  Editing will probably be required.

Speaking for myself, I fully intend to post as time and the internet allow.

Because of the necessary COVID testing for entering Portugal and the necessary COVID testing prior to embarkation I am not letting myself get too excited.  I'm sure if I actually end up on the Moon I will be very excited!  😁

• Like 3

mysty - I have finally made the effort to look at your itinerary.  What a variation!  Of the many places that struck me, I wonder if you have cruised up the Seine to Rouen before?  That is so pretty, and if you do it either way at a mealtime, try to to what we did some years ago on Seabourn, and get a window table - in our case, just for two, so we did not have to make conversation!  

And eight restaurants to try, with time to visit all of them several times.  I m looking forward to reading your reports - hope you can spare the time to do some. 

Nearly there.

Lola 

• Like 1

Agree Lola. We cruised the Seine from Rouen to Honfleur on Silver Wind back in 2018. We left Rouen in the morning and the mist on the river was magical. Arrived in Honfleur in the early afternoon right after lunch, IIRC. What a beautiful morning that was!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lincslady said:

mysty - I have finally made the effort to look at your itinerary.  What a variation!  Of the many places that struck me, I wonder if you have cruised up the Seine to Rouen before?  That is so pretty, and if you do it either way at a mealtime, try to to what we did some years ago on Seabourn, and get a window table - in our case, just for two, so we did not have to make conversation!  

And eight restaurants to try, with time to visit all of them several times.  I m looking forward to reading your reports - hope you can spare the time to do some. 

Nearly there.

Lola 

36 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Agree Lola. We cruised the Seine from Rouen to Honfleur on Silver Wind back in 2018. We left Rouen in the morning and the mist on the river was magical. Arrived in Honfleur in the early afternoon right after lunch, IIRC. What a beautiful morning that was!

Thanks lovely folks!  Rouen and Honfleur are both new ports for us.   Thanks for the tips on viewing!!!  I'm itching to start packing but I have nowhere to set up the luggage this far ahead.  All on lists and not in bags at this point.  😁

Yes, Honfleur is a lovely little place, you will enjoy it,  mysty.  Rouen is quite interesting; many people will probably take a day trip to Paris, but I think it is a longish journey, and if you already know Paris fairly well probably not worth doing it.

Lola

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Yes, Honfleur is a lovely little place, you will enjoy it,  mysty.  Rouen is quite interesting; many people will probably take a day trip to Paris, but I think it is a longish journey, and if you already know Paris fairly well probably not worth doing it.

Lola

There is actually a Grand Northern Europe Voyage event from Rouen.  Claude Monet's Garden in Giverny.   "Walking through his house and grounds, visitors can still feel the atmosphere which reigned at the home of the Master of Impressionism. Marvel at the floral compositions and white water lilies, his greatest sources of inspiration. After the visit to the garden, enjoy a curated dinner at Les Nympheas Restaurant. With its formal tables arrayed under 16th-century beams, Les Nymphéas (French for water lily) is one of Rouen’s best fine dining venues."  Sounds like a wonderful event. 

• Like 3

When you cruise the Seine, make sure you keep an eye out for the Abbaye de Jumièges. A beautiful ruin which is easily visible from the river, but also has much historical significance.

Here's a teaser to whet your appetite:

DSC_0142.thumb.JPG.4c10cc2143a3b08e9f960fa373232d57.JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

When you cruise the Seine, make sure you keep an eye out for the Abbaye de Jumièges. A beautiful ruin which is easily visible from the river, but also has much historical significance.

Here's a teaser to whet your appetite:

DSC_0142.thumb.JPG.4c10cc2143a3b08e9f960fa373232d57.JPG

What a beautiful structure!  Thanks JP! 

• Like 1

The excitement is definitely palpable, even through the internet!

The JP challenge is really tough for this cruise.

Will be thinking of you Mysty and all of the other most fortunate pax and looking forward to the posts.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The excitement is definitely palpable, even through the internet!

The JP challenge is really tough for this cruise.

Will be thinking of you Mysty and all of the other most fortunate pax and looking forward to the posts.

Thanks Spins!  Trying desperately to be optimistic!   Lots of hoops and I never was very good at keeping them on my hips!  😁

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, mysty said:

Thanks Spins!  Trying desperately to be optimistic!   Lots of hoops and I never was very good at keeping them on my hips!  😁

Careful what you keep on those hips!

• Haha 1