CDC adjusts warnings

deliver42

30 minutes ago, D C said:

I stand by my statement. There will always be the exception.  "effectively gone"  is not the same as "absolutely gone". As with everything, risk cannot be eliminated entirely. I do wish you the best with your recovery.  Severe cases among the vaccinated without comorbidities remain extremely low.   

Once again.  The numbers of people who have comorbidities is astronomical. The number of breakthrough cases due to variants is also significant. Therefore ,your statement is not only dead wrong, it's uninformed and potentially dangerous as apparently there are many people who believe whatever is written or published no matter how untrustworthy the source.

So stand by your statement, and I hope you don't find yourself in an "I told you so" position.

12 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Meanwhile here in Massachusetts our cases have started ticking back up again including in our schools. Hospitalization numbers have not increased yet as they always lag a few weeks behind increased case numbers. While I would hope this is just a momentary minor bump, based on what has been happening over in the UK and in some other countries with the new variant spreading this is likely our climb back into another surge. So many people got infected in the last surge though hopefully this one won't be as big but you never know with this virus. Pulling mask mandates on planes at this time wouldn't be prudent.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2022/03/25/massachusetts-reports-1109-new-covid-cases-9-additional-deaths-march-25/

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2022/03/covid-cases-on-rise-in-massachusetts-schools-for-second-week-in-a-row-after-falling-for-weeks-search-your-school-district.html

Many experts including Dr. Fauci have predicted these upticks in certain parts of the US with the Omicron BA.2 sub-variant overtaking BA.1.  They are highly related to each other.  There is so much immunity to Omicron already from the last surge and much of the population (but not all) are vaccinated and boosted. It is frustrating that these peaks and valleys of virus cases will continue indefinitely.  Perhaps many years.  Best to be Up To Date on vaccines to avoid serious illness.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, TeeRick said:

@Guppy99 We are all here to discuss cruising and you have admitted to going on two cruises recently.  And very unfortunate that you did get infected.  @Ken the cruiser was sharing his experience and plan of dealing with the virus on cruises.  I have shared my plan (in post #129) of living with the virus in the upcoming endemic phase. As have others here including @WonderMan3.  It is not ever going away completely.  So what to do we do?  It is pretty unrealistic to think that most people will just continue to wear masks, social distance and live the remainder of their lives with restrictions in particular in times when transmission is very low.  And I do believe that most cruising people will continue to adhere to current or future guidelines and vaccine recommendations when the virus changes or comes back.  Most cruising people are not self-centered.  Yes there are a few who are and I am not denying that.  So what is your plan going forward?  

My objection is to when individuals say that if you are vaccinated you can't get it, and those that say that if you do, it's only sniffles, etc.  These same individuals say that testing should be done away with etc.  That's just plain wrong. So, don't take my posts out of context to what I am replying to. I do cruise now. I do take reasonable precautions. I do object to people who do not follow the rules that are in place at any given place and time. And...I do think that many people who post here are in fact very self-centered and self-entitled when it comes to something they find inconvenient.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

do object to people who do not follow the rules that are in place at any given place and time. And...I do think that many people who post here are in fact very self-centered and self-entitled when it comes to something they find inconvenient.

I think you misunderstand some of the posts. People are not advocating breaking the rules but many here and elsewhere are saying maybe it’s time we changed the rules and moved on. Covid in 2022 is a very different disease than it was back in 2020 when the pandemic began. Currently the variant most widely circulating is more virulent but less harmful. Which is the way most viruses change as it doesn’t help itself by killing its entire host population. This does not mean there won’t be other variants than evade the vaccine but we’re not there. Also medicine has moved on considerably with vaccines and effective anti viral drugs in addition to knowing much more of what we are dealing with. We can’t stay in a state of fear forever. It’s here to stay and we need to adapt to live with this virus. Calling people self centred and self entitled because they want to move on is not helpful, the world changes and we must change with it. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

I think you misunderstand some of the posts. People are not advocating breaking the rules but many here and elsewhere are saying maybe it’s time we changed the rules and moved on. Covid in 2022 is a very different disease than it was back in 2020 when the pandemic began. Currently the variant most widely circulating is more virulent but less harmful. Which is the way most viruses change as it doesn’t help itself by killing its entire host population. This does not mean there won’t be other variants than evade the vaccine but we’re not there. Also medicine has moved on considerably with vaccines and effective anti viral drugs in addition to knowing much more of what we are dealing with. We can’t stay in a state of fear forever. It’s here to stay and we need to adapt to live with this virus. Calling people self centred and self entitled because they want to move on is not helpful, the world changes and we must change with it. 

Because of the great advances in vaccines and anti-viral medicines, and much better knowledge of the virus and variants, there are mostly guidelines now and not fixed rules in many countries including the US.  Same is true for cruise ships following guidelines.  Guidelines change frequently (like masking on ships).   It is therefore left for all of us to be current in our vaccines, continuously educated, and do what is best in our own opinions and live our lives according to our risk tolerance and what is happening in our communities.  Since this more "endemic" situation will probably be with us forever, it will eventually be considered a part of normal lives going forward.  There is no best answer.  What some consider highly risky behaviors,  others consider behaving responsibly for the current situation. 

9 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

My objection is to when individuals say that if you are vaccinated you can't get it, and those that say that if you do, it's only sniffles, etc.  These same individuals say that testing should be done away with etc.  That's just plain wrong. So, don't take my posts out of context to what I am replying to. I do cruise now. I do take reasonable precautions. I do object to people who do not follow the rules that are in place at any given place and time. And...I do think that many people who post here are in fact very self-centered and self-entitled when it comes to something they find inconvenient.

There are a very wide ranges of opinions here on CC.  I can only control what I do and not what others do.  Most of the posters seem responsible and a few others I just scroll by.

9 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

I agree with others that I think you are misreading some comments and twisting the statement that we can only protect ourselves as being selfish. I take the precautions that I need to be safe. These precautions also would limit other peoples exposure to me. What we can't control in a public space is other people. If they don't want to take precautions or invade our personnel spaces, that is under there control not mine. Ken the cruiser goes above and beyond to protect themselves, and in doing so is protecting others as well. We sailed on the last trip where masks were required and we followed the rules, but others didn't which was frustrating to us, but we made sure to give those people a lot of space.

I know someone with terminal cancer that got Covid and only had the sniffles, so it impacts people differently. The common cold or yearly flu can have similar results to some people but we never made a big deal out of them. Honestly one could say that anyone that travels for fun during a pandemic is selfish in a way no matter how many precautions we take.

• Like 2

Ive been watching this thread like may others, and it seems many on this thread are giving medical advice or opinions. Many cruisers new to CC are also reading this thread. 

I had COVID before the Vaccine, had two shots, and have been boasted. My "opinion" on medical issues related to COVID and cruising mean "nothing" to anyone but me. My advice to anyone reading this thread regarding medical issues and risk assessments........Talk to your Doctor. .......Please !

All the best......See you on the next tack !

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Ive been watching this thread like may others, and it seems many on this thread are giving medical advice or opinions. Many cruisers new to CC are also reading this thread. 

I had COVID before the Vaccine, had two shots, and have been boasted. My "opinion" on medical issues related to COVID and cruising mean "nothing" to anyone but me. My advice to anyone reading this thread regarding medical issues and risk assessments........Talk to your Doctor. .......Please !

@runningtide it is always good advice to discuss personal medical questions only with your own doctor.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

My advice to anyone reading this thread regarding anything: you're on a cruise fan message board. Govern yourselves accordingly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

In our case before our cruise in February, I was into the Dr. for a routine issue and asked this question and got the green light for the cruise with the recommendation to be cautious on the air travel. That helped my wife and I decide it was safe to cruise. I used this site to see numbers on ships and how things were being handled or not handled onboard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

No. I am quite capable of understanding what people have written. I absolutely stand by my comments, as written. Some of my comments are being taken out of context as responses to someone else's posts. Contrary to what some state, this thread has not be strictly related to cruising concerns. Therefore, we will all have to agree to disagree.  As for my feelings that this board is populated by a rather high number of self-centered and self-entitled folks, I stand by that as well. You may not recognize someone  as such but I believe these things are really displayed in the very small ways. As an unrelated example, people who feel that its ok to post the best ways of circumventing the two bottles of wine limit.  

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

No. I am quite capable of understanding what people have written. I absolutely stand by my comments, as written. Some of my comments are being taken out of context as responses to someone else's posts. Contrary to what some state, this thread has not be strictly related to cruising concerns. Therefore, we will all have to agree to disagree.  As for my feelings that this board is populated by a rather high number of self-centered and self-entitled folks, I stand by that as well. You may not recognize someone  as such but I believe these things are really displayed in the very small ways. As an unrelated example, people who feel that its ok to post the best ways of circumventing the two bottles of wine limit.  

circumventing the two bottles of wine limit.  OH NO!!!!!!  Next thing I will, er I mean someone will, wear shorts in the dining room.

35 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

circumventing the two bottles of wine limit.  OH NO!!!!!!  Next thing I will, er I mean someone will, wear shorts in the dining room.

Not funny. In fact you frequently use veiled attempts at humor to ridicule. Rules exist for a reason and making them sound ridiculous is a perfect example of someone who thinks they are only suggestions for them to accept or discard at will. Just like complaining and moaning about being too slow to lift testing restrictions because you don't personally feel you benefit from them any longer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

So, what about people taking precautions for themselves like many on here do to limit our exposure? I can't worry about what you are doing. In a store I will likely skip an aisle depending on what others do. I have been protecting others by my actions through the pandemic whether or not they wanted to protect themselves, is this self centered and entitled in your eyes? It isn't my job to tell everyone on the street they aren't acting in a safe manner, I can only control me and lets be honest many have different opinions on what safe is. I have enough of a headache herding cats at work. Sorry I am trying to understand your definition of self centered and entitled.

I saw some rule breakers on the cruise, but on here at least everyone says they will follow the rules, but they may not have liked the mandatory indoor mask rule that the wife and I were very happy they had in place when we cruised.

Edited by cgolf1

34 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Not funny. In fact you frequently use veiled attempts at humor to ridicule. Rules exist for a reason and making them sound ridiculous is a perfect example of someone who thinks they are only suggestions for them to accept or discard at will. Just like complaining and moaning about being too slow to lift testing restrictions because you don't personally feel you benefit from them any longer.  

Well as you have anointed yourself as the cruise rules police, on SO many topics that you reply to.  If you don't like that someone brings 3 or 4 bottles of wine on-board, how does that effect you?  If someone does not meet the exact dress code, how does that effect you, does your dinner taste different?  Do you sit in your cruise cabin worrying about such matters because you sure do here.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Well as you have anointed yourself as the cruise rules police, on SO many topics that you reply to.  If you don't like that someone brings 3 or 4 bottles of wine on-board, how does that effect you?  If someone does not meet the exact dress code, how does that effect you, does your dinner taste different?  Do you sit in your cruise cabin worrying about such matters because you sure do here.  

No. I comment by choice. As do you. I'm going to move on now, as it is pointless to argue with someone who is incapable of defending a point of view.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, WonderMan3 said:

"Successfully avoided"? Meaning you took the necessary precautions to avoid Covid (masking, social distancing, getting vaccinated) so that you could avoid having to get tested? 

these 'precautions' do not prevent one from getting covid.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:52 PM, Guppy99 said:

yes, and it is not as rare as you seem to think. But... most people go through life blissfully thinking that these things will happen to other people, until it doesn't happen to other people.

17 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

the virtue signaling is quite strong in your responses which is why the reaction is so strong, not that you care. I am surprised the death of the two year old wasnt worldwide news since it was such an outlier and would have provided the drama needed to approve vaccines in the very young.

At least it’s just wine or “fancy” booze!  I’ve seen people duct tape plastic bottles booze to themselves to get it on board.

The irony about this, some of the most vocal anti-AI fare folks are those who don’t drink.  If you don’t drink odds are you’re not spending as much as drinkers.  I speak from direct experience, every sommelier on X tries upsell us to something that isn’t included in our drink package.   Also for those with AI/drink packages, sneaking “extra” wine aboard means more profit for X because X isn’t using their wine

• Like 1

If people want to take 100 bottles of wine onboard why would I lose any sleep over it?  It’s not affecting me in the slightest,  I will leave it  to Celebrity to police their policies. I cannot be responsible for any one else’s behaviour but my own.  Yes it’s sensible to take precautions to keep themselves and others safe, some will  take more precautions than others,  I will do what I feel necessary to maintain my own health and that of fellow passengers, I may avoid certain people if I feel they are a threat,  either covid related or anything else that may affect me. But I’m certainly not going to castigate anyone for taking different actions than me. I’m not the covid police I just want to have a relaxing stress free cruise. I’m not sure why some people become so incensed by the actions of other people. Just relax a little it’s a vacation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Currently the variant most widely circulating is more virulent but less harmful. 

Huh? I assume you meant that the variant is "more infectious". Virulent means harmful so your comment as written makes no sense.