Dress code strictness 2022

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Very nice. Do you live in the area?

Ancient Sutherland here.

Yes.  It was designed by members of the Peebles Callants Club and donated to the Beltane Festival in its centenary year, I'm a member of both clubs.    A new length was spun a few years ago. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, wowzz said:

I wear a white tuxedo and black shirt with white bow tie . Smart or what ? 

But you have to  be careful on the red wine front!

Agree. Recently took my White Tux to the cleaners as I have a tache and didn't realise whilst I was slurping the old red vino callapso that some was adhering itself and then turning me into Mr Blobby by falling onto the lapel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, lincslady said:

Sorry, 84k - I thought you were the person who suggested a hooded sweatshirt, and I have to admit to thinking that would be completely unsuitable for the evening, even a casual one!

I didn't post before, as I felt I was perhaps being a bit rude to mention it.

I was! 🤐

On 3/16/2022 at 7:20 AM, 84k said:

Morning cruisers, unfortunately the pandemic/lock downs have not been kind to me and I've gained some extra baggage 😅

Not looking to purchase or hire any suits and fancy a more casual experience for Iona in April, is this possible?

Was hoping to wear shoes, black denim and a plain, fitted, hooded sweatshirt on the evenings. Will this get me into the more casual bars for the quiz nights, and the two/three (I've not brushed up on Iona) entertainment venues?

Tia

I think the answer you will receive is that Iona has only one formal evening so just go for it wear what you like but be prepared to dine in he venues where casual is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for resurrecting this topic. I'm sure over the years it's been done many times, but new user here and soon to be 1st time P&O cruiser so a but unsure how to play things.

Been cruising for about 14 years with RC and in just that short space of time I saw things change. I guess what the American guests saw as causal or smart casual wasn't the same as what the brits did. Did have to look twice the 1st time I saw a chap wearing normal blue jeans and trainers in the mdr. As time went on though you saw more and more people dressing down and avoiding the mdr's in favour of the buffet options. I have always taken a tux mainly due to the scornful looks you get from people if you're still in your shorts and t shirt and people are all dressed up - no-one likes to be looked down upon.

If things are changing however, one option I guess is to just bring smart casual + then avoid the mdr on formal nights. The question I have is on formal nights do they let you in to watch the shows if not in formal attire or are you pretty shunned + it's back to the cabin? We're sailing on the Ventura in July so expect it to be a younger crowd, families etc - any help with how to play it making sure we're not excluding ourselves from anything. Ideally we'd dress casual but like I've said not a great fan of the looks you get when you look out of place

23 minutes ago, JDB78 said:

Sorry for resurrecting this topic. I'm sure over the years it's been done many times, but new user here and soon to be 1st time P&O cruiser so a but unsure how to play things.

Been cruising for about 14 years with RC and in just that short space of time I saw things change. I guess what the American guests saw as causal or smart casual wasn't the same as what the brits did. Did have to look twice the 1st time I saw a chap wearing normal blue jeans and trainers in the mdr. As time went on though you saw more and more people dressing down and avoiding the mdr's in favour of the buffet options. I have always taken a tux mainly due to the scornful looks you get from people if you're still in your shorts and t shirt and people are all dressed up - no-one likes to be looked down upon.

If things are changing however, one option I guess is to just bring smart casual + then avoid the mdr on formal nights. The question I have is on formal nights do they let you in to watch the shows if not in formal attire or are you pretty shunned + it's back to the cabin? We're sailing on the Ventura in July so expect it to be a younger crowd, families etc - any help with how to play it making sure we're not excluding ourselves from anything. Ideally we'd dress casual but like I've said not a great fan of the looks you get when you look out of place

Smart casual is generally accepted in the MDR on formal night and certainly fine for show lounge. It is not unusual for people to go to dinner in formal attire then get changed for the rest of the evening. I have done this on occasions if there has been a deck party when in the Caribbean.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JDB78 said:

The question I have is on formal nights do they let you in to watch the shows if not in formal attire or are you pretty shunned

You do not have to wear formal attire to go to the theatre.  

• Thanks 1

I have cruised on Ventura several times. In my experience on formal nights the appropriate dress was required in:-

-the main dining rooms

-Epicurean restaurant

-Sindhu restaurant

-The Red Bar

-Metropolis bar

Everywhere else is evening casual including the Glass House which the P&O web site has listed as formal but in my experience has always been evening casual.

If you are doing formal instead of a tux a lounge suit is perfectly OK

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I would say that just a jacket,  with shirt and tie,  would be OK these days.  

If that's the case, things have really changed - and I'm all in favour.  I have no problem whatever with people choosing to dress up in their finery, with DJ, bow tie etc, but requiring others to do the same just to be able to eat in the MDR does seem rather unreasonable and illiberal.

Is that really the case, though, because even ten years ago you'd have been shot down in flames in these forums for suggesting it?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

If that's the case, things have really changed - and I'm all in favour.  I have no problem whatever with people choosing to dress up in their finery, with DJ, bow tie etc, but requiring others to do the same just to be able to eat in the MDR does seem rather unreasonable and illiberal.

Is that really the case, though, because even ten years ago you'd have been shot down in flames in these forums for suggesting it?

With the trend to 'dress to impress' or carnival nights rather than formal there is more choice than the 'uniforms' of the past. I remember one cruise when one gentleman's formal wear included a green velvet jacket and yellow waistcoat. It certainly impressed people 😁

Jacket, shirt, tie, smart trousers etc are all that are needed: smart and fit for purpose! Just wear what you are most comfortable in.

There is no need to go to town unless you want to - in which case, go for it. No one will judge you if you go all out or if you go lower-key but smart: well, those who do judge are the sort of people who are just not worth worrying about.

We sometimes go for the full tux, bow tie etc if we are eating at one of the special restaurants but if it is just the MDR then for us it is the standard jacket/tie. But either way it is nice to see people enjoying themselves whatever they wear.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 4

We don't really care much for longer formal dinners in MDR - We've not sailed on P&O as yet (usually on Princess) but the challenge we always find is the menu options on formal nights in MDR are better than usual and those same options are not available in the buffet instead. Is this the same on P&O?

34 minutes ago, pmd98052 said:

We don't really care much for longer formal dinners in MDR - We've not sailed on P&O as yet (usually on Princess) but the challenge we always find is the menu options on formal nights in MDR are better than usual and those same options are not available in the buffet instead. Is this the same on P&O?

Menu is slightly more fancy on formal nights. The buffet on P&O never has the same dishes as in the MDR.

The formal night dinners take no longer than a "normal" dinner.  

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, Eglesbrech said:

My husband doesn’t always wear black. You can wear what colour you like as long as it is formal attire. Go for it.

We were on a RCI ship with a large group of gents who had some absolutely amazing, colourful formal clothes. 

I think you'll find that was the Circus. Only joking.

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 7:36 AM, davecttr said:

With the trend to 'dress to impress' or carnival nights rather than formal there is more choice than the 'uniforms' of the past. I remember one cruise when one gentleman's formal wear included a green velvet jacket and yellow waistcoat. It certainly impressed people 😁

It wouldn't impress me. I'm an Ipswich fan and Norwich are Green and Yellow.

• Haha 4

If it helps, and depending on the ship you are travelling on, we found on Iona that the formal wear dress code was not enforced in the Limelight Club,  which gives an option, and on Britannia.

As we chose to, many guests did wear black tie, lounge suits, and ladies dinner dresses, however others wore jeans and trainers and were admitted without difficulty.

I would also observe that the formal dress code appears infrequently enforced in the main dining rooms on the P&O ships.  We have often seen guests wearing smart casual clothing be admitted on formal nights. 

Yes, there is a risk that you may be asked to change and I suppose it's how and what you feel comfortable in, but I wouldn't take it as a given that you would be denied entry somewhere for dining purposes because you don't comply "exactly," times have changed.

Comments about theatre and entertainment venues - yes agree.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

If it helps, and depending on the ship you are travelling on, we found on Iona that the formal wear dress code was not enforced in the Limelight Club,  which gives an option, and on Britannia.

As we chose to, many guests did wear black tie, lounge suits, and ladies dinner dresses, however others wore jeans and trainers and were admitted without difficulty.

I would also observe that the formal dress code appears infrequently enforced in the main dining rooms on the P&O ships.  We have often seen guests wearing smart casual clothing be admitted on formal nights. 

Yes, there is a risk that you may be asked to change and I suppose it's how and what you feel comfortable in, but I wouldn't take it as a given that you would be denied entry somewhere for dining purposes because you don't comply "exactly," times have changed.

Comments about theatre and entertainment venues - yes agree.

Thanks for that, I think on the balance of things, I'll take the dinner suit for formal nights, trousers and shirts or polo's for the casual. I would imagine some nights won't go to the mdr so am I right in saying the buffet options would be ok wear shorts + t shirt? Would also be ok to wear shorts + t shirt on casual nights in the theatre and entertainment areas?